Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 02-18-2019, 11:22 AM   #41
kodebode2
Human being with feelings

May I suggest rather than tinkering with ReaEQ - we leave the current plugin as is, to avoid breaking compatibility with any previous projects.

And have a version 2, which has its own life and is not tied to the quirks of the current ReaEQ.

And we accept that the current version is not likely to be developed any further.

That way we can put the best thinking into the new ReaEQ.

If I may Add the whole Reaper, Jesusonic, Winamp, progress, each of these brave steps was a bold break from the past. New code bases....etc, new thinking. Breakthrough ideas.

At some point in time, some anchors must break, so that new ships can set sail.

My proposal above allows those who want the current ReaEQ to coexist with what they love about it and rather then rush any changes based on Dan' Worrell's (with the double ll !))...discoveries, Justin takes time to think of what's the best way to implement the new Reaper EQ-advanced. After over 10 years, its in order to break away from the past - the old ReaEQ has served its purpose very well indeed, and can still be bundled with the DAW and standalone bundles of ReaTools, but with no major changes going forward(except for bugs rather then new features).
kodebode2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 11:27 AM   #42
EvilDragon

There's no need to break away from the past if the codebase is well written. There's no need to create a v2 of the plugin if things can be sorted out with new modes (for ReaEQ, an oversampling checkbox is all it takes to sort out the cramping problem around Nyquist, and it would create no problems for older projects since for those it would be off by default).
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 11:32 AM   #43
kodebode2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
There's no need to break away from the past if the codebase is well written. There's no need to create a v2 of the plugin if things can be sorted out with new modes (for ReaEQ, an oversampling checkbox is all it takes to sort out the cramping problem around Nyquist, and it would create no problems for older projects since for those it would be off by default).
If the developers are happy to do it in one plugin - that's ok. We achieve the same result.

I was only profferring an alternative that sometimes in software is not considered, cos of the legacy that has to be carried along.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:43 AM   #44
kodebode2

I would like to use ReaEQ for both speaker correction in both live PA and in the studio, as well as for building crossovers in software, using Reapers fantastic routing, especially as Reaper has a wonderful monitoring feature where such plugins that will not affect the rendered result, can be placed...

ReaEQ would be the perfect solution cos of its unlimited bands..., allowing very precise correction.

I have had to resort to Waves Q10, for only one reason, I cannot figure out how to go from Q as calculated by correction and speaker simulation software, to the bandwidth used in ReaEQ.

Please is there any way we can have the option to use Q's values like most other eq's..
Old 02-18-2019, 12:53 PM   #45
sisaso

Hi Kodebode,
Bit off topic, but maybe helpful for you.
http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-bandwidth.htm
sisaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:18 AM   #46
kodebode2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisaso View Post
Hi Kodebode,
You are a Godsend.. Thanks.. This certainly helps. bookmarked..

This sorts out my band (bell filter) EQ needs.

While some of us have some technical savvy(at least enough to setup and use Reaper), we are not audio electronic engineers, we just want to make music, or edit audio, or play it live.

The next one which I had tried to resolve with no response on the forum was using ReaEQ in low/high pass filters to approximate the kind of filters used in crossovers, or to use well known things like 12 db per octave, 24 db per octave, and translating this to the ReaEQ bandwidth parameter. This is not limited to Reaper - no other parametric EQ's I use regularly address this need with parameters that I can easily interpret to achieve what I want.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=189217

Maybe I need some other kind of EQ/Filter plugin... If any one knows other easy to use plugins that solve this challenge, or how I can use ReaEQ, please advise... Thanks.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:40 AM   #47
kodebode2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisaso View Post
Hi Kodebode,
I did use this to get the bandwidth values in ReaEQ. Using similar frequencies and gain, and equivalent Q to bandwidth conversions, did all I could, but ReaEQ sounded different from Waves Q10. More emphasis in the high end....

At this point in time, I'm happy with the alternative - Waves Q10 for the speaker correction purposes, and this is not any negative in ReaEQ's direction. I deduce from this experience that parametric EQ's may not sound the same, and there's not much we can do about this, at my level of knowledge/expertise - not being able to look under their hoods, to see in detail, how they have implemented their version of para EQ, and understand exactly why they sound different....

But this at least gives me a creative alternative, realising that despite my best efforts each parametric eq, which should ideally be the same - sounds different, so when I want a particular "sound", I know which one to use, for each creative intention.

I'd say the ReaEQ made things cloudier, grainier, digital - less separation between instruments, more processed, good in its own way, for some things. Makes me consider using different EQ's for individual channels, to "separate" them even more sonically in the mix. ReaEQ brings things out more up front, pop out of the speaker like...

Learned something new. Thanks all.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:45 AM   #48
IIRs

Look for Linkwitz Riley filters if you want to make a crossover.
IIRs is offline   Reply With Quote