Old 10-04-2010, 01:03 AM   #81
irium
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Stop Continues View Post
Could we keep the shortcuts and skip the tabs?
Why no? If we'll propose some way of representing secondary MIDI items' list -- to be able to activate not only by navigating forward/backward, but by name also (with visual help of color).

Also I'm against floating windows -- they clutters the UI. Again I'm for docked panel on the right. But it can be made undockable for those who wish it
irium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:19 AM   #82
Mike Stop Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by irium View Post
Why no? If we'll propose some way of representing secondary MIDI items' list -- to be able to activate not only by navigating forward/backward, but by name also (with visual help of color).

Also I'm against floating windows -- they clutters the UI. Again I'm for docked panel on the right. But it can be made undockable for those who wish it
I like the optional-undockable idea. I've still got my fingers crossed for EvilDragon's dockable everything proposal for Reaper 4.0.

The sidebar would be a great improvement to the midi UI.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:48 PM   #83
krahosk

We'll see what comes up in Reaper mark 4 for the tabs...
krahosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 05:11 PM   #84
sebas777

While tabs themselves are ok, I personally believe in adding some screenset + link button magic to it, as the easiest way to reuse the midi editor:

1) With the "link button" enabled in the midi editor, it always displays current selection in the Arrange, so you update the group on the fly.

2) You can create multiple (independent) copies of the midi editor in the in separate screensets,

3) and if you like to switch between groups of items, just disable the "link button" in the midi editor after selecting items: this midi editor window will always display this group of items.

4) You switch between groups of items displayed in the midi editor by switching screensets that contain independent copies of the midi editor window.

This is the way I used to work in Logic .

Of course with tabs AND the link button you can set all the groups in one screenset even faster (tabs act as independent copies of the window). But switching works a little slower: separate keycommands, and most probably only "next/previous group" by TAB, while screensets give you direct access.
sebas777 is offline   Reply With Quote