Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

View Poll Results: Would you use this feature?
Yes 251 99.60%
No 1 0.40%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-04-2012, 04:12 AM   #1
ZeeByeZon
Human being with feelings

Default Feedback to MIDI controller

The assignation of MIDI controls for any parameter of the FX plugins is a great feature. It allows for example the use of a BCR2000 control surface to tweak the EQ of the currently selected track.

But there is a serious lack here: There is no feedback to the BCR2000 to update the encoder positions when changing track or when the parameter value is changed by the software.
This could be solved by adding MIDI control outputs in the MIDI configuration panel. Then each parameter which is configured to receive MIDI control data would send back data on the defined output ports.

This would also answer the request for a 'generic' control surface.

FR: http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=4388

Last edited by ZeeByeZon; 07-02-2013 at 01:25 AM.
ZeeByeZon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:09 PM   #2
artsrecording

Default Feedback to MIDI controller

+1 for any approach to providing functionality for data feedback for any 'generic' MIDI controller - not just the ones available in the "External Controller" section of REAPER Preferences.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:10 AM   #3
yagonnawantthatcowbell

+1,000,000,416
yagonnawantthatcowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:40 PM   #4
Scoox

+1

To quote myself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoox View Post
+1

I will add that this is possible in PreSonus Studio One:

S1 forum member Bathmutz introduced me to this wonderful feature and I must say I am very impressed! Not sure all controllers accept MIDI feedback but my BCR2000 sure does and it's very very nice.
Scoox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:22 PM   #5
drewspuppet

+ 1 + 1. needed. I pray.
drewspuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:42 AM   #6
reponicem

+1, essential !
reponicem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:00 AM   #7
33tetragammon

+1.000.000.000.000.000.000.000. etc, etc, etc...

I use a Behringer BCR-2000 (which has leds on all of its 32 endless knobs). Until now, i turned all the leds off to not get confused by values that don't reflect what's happening in the software.
Not ideal, but a temporary workaround until this much needed feature is finally (imo) implemented.
33tetragammon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:46 AM   #8
FellowLad

+1 Googolplex

I need it for my iPad-based lemur!
FellowLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:39 AM   #9
Banned

+ 0.5.

(I still think such a *basic* functionality definitely should be included, if only to support 'legacy hardware' out-of-the-box - but I probably wouldn't use it much if at all, since OSC support and OSC<-->MIDI conversion enables so much more good stuff than plain MIDI feedback).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33tetragammon View Post
+1.000.000.000.000.000.000.000. etc, etc, etc...

I use a Behringer BCR-2000 (which has leds on all of its 32 endless knobs). Until now, i turned all the leds off to not get confused by values that don't reflect what's happening in the software.
Not ideal, but a temporary workaround until this much needed feature is finally (imo) implemented.
There's a *much* better workaround available now, using OSC. Search the forum for BCR-2000 + OSC.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:56 AM   #10
33tetragammon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post

There's a *much* better workaround available now, using OSC. Search the forum for BCR-2000 + OSC.
Thanks Banned, will do so when my faulty BCR returns from the shop....it's been 2 months now....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...
33tetragammon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:35 AM   #11
LX84

+1 this is indeed essential!

Is this a regular FR, or does someone have to move this at someplace?
LX84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:36 PM   #12
Scoox

It's been nearly half a year since my last post on this thread, and I am back to make some more bumping noise on behalf of my BCR2000.
Scoox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:03 PM   #13
benebomber

WOOOOW I just found this out! I always thought I set it up the wrong way. Why isn’t it working??? I’m currently working on a live and studio setup wit Reaper, Maschine and TouchOSC and thinking of switching to Ableton. Why the h*** doesn’t this work? I’d never thought this would be something special.

So: bump a million times!!!
Old 06-26-2012, 02:11 PM   #14
lxm

Quote:
Originally Posted by yagonnawantthatcowbell View Post
+1,000,000,416
+1 more than that
lxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:18 PM   #15
nofish

Wow there's a thread requesting Midi feedback which I haven't +1'ed yet, how could I miss it ?

+1

@ benebomper:

Not sure if it helps you, but as Banned said, if you're using OSC there actually is parameter feedback available (in OSC, not Midi though)
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:26 AM   #16
ZeeByeZon

No, even with OSC tou cannot get feedback from the VST plugins...
ZeeByeZon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:10 PM   #17
supra

Default +99999999999

Just wanted to add my +99999999999 to this thread!

And now a little poem to explain why:

O.S.C. ain't good for me,
MIDI is the place to be!

Please! Please Please!
supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:42 PM   #18
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeByeZon View Post
No, even with OSC tou cannot get feedback from the VST plugins...
Yes there is. Where did you get that idea? (It was broken for a few versions, but check the latest pre-release versions.)

Especially with 14-bit MIDI control from the BCR-2000 converted back and forth to OSC, it's absolutely great to have smooth parameter changes (as editing 14-bit MIDI in REAPER is still not very user friendly, to say the least).
Old 09-28-2012, 05:43 PM   #19
Chris D

One of the two features I still believe that is keeping many professionals I know from using Reaper. I am waiting {im}patiently for this so I can use my Yamaha O2R96 as a controller, and VST direct monitoring.
Please!!!!
Chris D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:54 PM   #20
melime

+1 to feedback value
melime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 04:44 AM   #21
bradleyfilms

And another bump for native feedback
Old 10-01-2012, 12:00 PM   #22
ArrowHead

Bump - why hasn't anyone made this an actual feature request? I too have 2 BCR2000 units I'd love to have midi feedback on.

Please make this an actual feature request.
ArrowHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:36 AM   #23
EvilDragon

You can do it yourself, too, you know?
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:04 AM   #24
Banned

Here you go: vote on the FR right here.

(And perhaps the OP can edit the first post to include it as well?)
Old 10-02-2012, 12:25 PM   #25
nofish

Voted yes.
Thanks for putting this up, Banned.

btw, (to the devs), if this is going to be implemented, sugar on top for me would be if it also worked in combination with SWS snapshots (ie if a SWS snapshot is recalled there's also immediate feedback/update to the MIDI controller for the learned parameters)
Old 10-02-2012, 01:44 PM   #26
ArrowHead

Oh joy! I voted for it.

I've just finished setting up two BCR2000's, and I sure do wish I could take advantage of all the cool things I could do with these LED's. Instead, I'm stuck doing everything in relative mode with the lights off.
ArrowHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:59 PM   #27
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowHead View Post
Oh joy! I voted for it.

I've just finished setting up two BCR2000's, and I sure do wish I could take advantage of all the cool things I could do with these LED's. Instead, I'm stuck doing everything in relative mode with the lights off.
In the mean time, you should perhaps check out the OSC control surface support. I'm able to use REAPER with all the cool stuff with my BCR-2000 (14-bit absolute mode with tweaked acceleration FTW) with all the lights on.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:30 PM   #28
ArrowHead

Quote:
In the mean time, you should perhaps check out the OSC control surface support. I'm able to use REAPER with all the cool stuff with my BCR-2000 (14-bit absolute mode with tweaked acceleration FTW) with all the lights on.
It sounds amazing. But everything you've posted explaining it makes me feel stupid. I'd love to maintain the setup I have so far, and add the feedback to it. Right now it's insanely easy to assign paramaters from effects to default, with the exception of all the Kontakt/Guitar Rig stuff, which saves one default that applies to all amps and rack contents. Kind of annoying.

Next feature request: Multiple save files for controllers, instead of "default" give us a slot where we can save and open as many different controller mappings as we want.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:23 AM   #29
Banned

Quote:
It sounds amazing. But everything you've posted explaining it makes me feel stupid. I'd love to maintain the setup I have so far, and add the feedback to it. Right now it's insanely easy to assign paramaters from effects to default, with the exception of all the Kontakt/Guitar Rig stuff, which saves one default that applies to all amps and rack contents. Kind of annoying.

Next feature request: Multiple save files for controllers, instead of "default" give us a slot where we can save and open as many different controller mappings as we want.
Well, for the relatively straightforward setups that we can set up with the 'learn' feature, OSC is much in the same position as MIDI: no feedback. Hopefully that will be addressed as well when the devs get around to implementing this FR. So indeed, OSC is not a solution if you want to preserve your existing setup as much as possible.

I'm not sure what you mean by assigning 'to default' though? (But yeah, we definitely need some other features related to mapping of controls to parameters as well.)
Old 10-03-2012, 09:34 AM   #30
ArrowHead

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean by assigning 'to default' though? (But yeah, we definitely need some other features related to mapping of controls to parameters as well.)

For example, I'd like to map out all the controls of the Vox AC amp in guitar rig onto my BCR. Then I want to save it, but instead of "save as default", I'd like to "save as: Vox AC". Theoretically I would like to have a seperate keymap for each amp or effect. That way if I load GR to use Reflektor, I can just pull up my "Reflektor" preset.

Not an issue with normal effects, but it's a p.i.t.a. with stuff like Guitar Rig that opens everything in the same plugin.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:57 AM   #31
Banned

Quote:
For example, I'd like to map out all the controls of the Vox AC amp in guitar rig onto my BCR. Then I want to save it, but instead of "save as default", I'd like to "save as: Vox AC". Theoretically I would like to have a seperate keymap for each amp or effect. That way if I load GR to use Reflektor, I can just pull up my "Reflektor" preset.

Not an issue with normal effects, but it's a p.i.t.a. with stuff like Guitar Rig that opens everything in the same plugin.
You mean, as a preset for the plugin? ("Save preset as default") (I'm a bit confused, because I associate the term "keymap" with IX's MIDI_KeyMap JS plugin, and it also makes me think of presets for "named notes" in the MIDI editor).

For the specific case of NI GR5, you could perhaps use its 'container' module to work around the issues a bit. Although, that also seems to have its own issues when using automation...
Old 10-03-2012, 10:03 AM   #32
ArrowHead

Quote:
You mean, as a preset for the plugin? ("Save preset as default")
Yes. Currently you can have only one preset per plugin, "default". I would like to have multiple.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:42 AM   #33
Banned

Quote:
Yes. Currently you can have only one preset per plugin, "default". I would like to have multiple.
Oh, I see, not plugin presets, but the 'Default controller mappings' (I forgot about them since I don't use them. I think it is too confusing when using multiple instances of a plugin, and controlling them via MIDI simultaneously). Yeah, that should arguably just become 'Controller mappings' with a preset system.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:48 PM   #34
WOK!

Waiting for this long already! So any MIDI controller with lights reacting on the same incoming CC that it sends could be used freely with MIDI learn parameters.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:21 PM   #35
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOK! View Post
Waiting for this long already! So any MIDI controller with lights (...)
...or motorized faders, just to mention it.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:13 AM   #36
ArrowHead

Spent some more time setting up my BCR2000's last night. Working great, but have to run everything in relative mode with lights off to avoid confusion and keep "jumpy" changes from happening. Still need to run a second page with buttons in absolute mode with soft takeover for all my NI plugins, including the new Passive EQ which runs standalone. None of them work correctly with my edited encoder acceleration. While all my other effects and controls will make large movements if I turn faster, the NI stuff still takes about four complete revolutions of the encoder to move the onscreen knob 10%. So for now I've got a setup in absolute mode, which fixes the problem.

The reason I share all this is because with my second page running in absolute mode with soft takeover I've got all the lights turned on. I leave it in that page all the time, just because it looks so much cooler! Having this actually work, and be able to use it all the time with proper feedback will be amazing.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:23 PM   #37
ArrowHead

Hopefully we can get some of the 50+ people that voted in this poll to head over and vote on the actual feature request. Could OP update the thread with the link to the FR in the first post?
Old 10-08-2012, 12:24 PM   #38
TonE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeByeZon View Post
Then _each_ parameter which is configured to receive MIDI control data would send back data on the defined output ports.
Good suggestion, except I would not want this for EACH parameter, so there could be just an additional checkbox telling "send this parameter also via control output port using same midi-channel and value".

I would use this then only for those "most important parameters" in the whole project, e.g. track-volumes mainly, 24 track volumes at one glance in BCR2000 for example. In the above 4 * 8 controls, I would probably use only 1 * 8 controls to display some other important parameters, maybe some effect values. But seeing those 24 track volumes at any time would be the biggest benefit for me. It would allow GUI-less operation of Reaper.

On preset 1 you could see your left-deck-songs 24 track volumes in BCR2000,
On preset 2 you could see your right-deck-songs 24 track volumes in BCR2000,
and you would switch among those presets on BCR2000 while switching among "decks".
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:53 PM   #39
ArrowHead

Ideally reaper would send feedback for every parameter or action you assign, and you can choose whatever setup you'd like. VST's, actions, etc...
Old 10-08-2012, 12:58 PM   #40
TonE

Quote:
Ideally reaper would send feedback for every parameter or action you assign, and you can choose whatever setup you'd like. VST's, actions, etc...
For you "ideally" maybe, what if you have assigned more than 1000 parameters, well those could technically not even pass the midi cable? So a selection mechanism would make sense. Only if you do not use more than 1000 parameters does not mean nobody does. 32 parameters on the other hand could be handled easily.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote