Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 10-01-2017, 01:11 PM   #201
Jack Winter
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazznfunk View Post
Thank You, Jack Winter very much! SWS extensions is super easy to install and these works well
Can't make appear ReaPack in Reaper nor with .dll or .dylib (both x64) files copied in /.REAPER/UserPlugins.
.dll are windows and .dylib are osx.

Have a look at: https://github.com/cfillion/reapack/releases but you have to scroll down a little to find: https://github.com/cfillion/reapack/...r_reapack64.so
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 01:36 PM   #202
jazznfunk

Silly me, lazy to scroll some lines down.. Thank You again, Jack Winter!
jazznfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 02:08 AM   #203
Snap

Wow, things advanced quite a lot since the last time I checked how things are going in the Linux department. Great stuff, guys.

@ Jack Winter: Thanks a lot for taking the torch, revamping the Linux related threads and putting together the great wiki page. Really great job.

I've been testing the last Reaper at LoL this last weekend. Still some weird things but globally looking good and promising. Got some freezings trying to run demanding RT IRs and oversampled pluggos but maybe it's on my side (configs).

Praying for LV2 support.
Snap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 04:11 AM   #204
eric71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snap View Post

Praying for LV2 support.
I'm not a programmer, but I was looking into how some other projects added LV2 support, and it looks like some have used liblilv to do it. I wonder if the same would be doable in REAPER.

http://drobilla.net/software/lilv
eric71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 01:17 PM   #205
reddiesel41264

Is there a setting so that Reaper opens maximized? I'm using the Native Linux version.
Old 10-06-2017, 03:16 AM   #206
sardonicus

Hello!

Bug with toolbar switching actions (41105 and other relevant actions). when used, "show recent action list" confirms that the action has been taken into account but there is no effect at all. Am I the only one (so, personnal configuration issue) or is it an internal REAPER issue?

Thanx.

(up to date debian stretch 64, lxreaper 64 with GCC5 5.60pre10)
Old 10-06-2017, 04:45 AM   #207
sub26nico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snap View Post
Praying for LV2 support.
Same here. I hope it's coming soon.

I can't use SWS autocolor correctly, only white and black are find.
No problem with tracks created on another OS.
sub26nico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 05:19 AM   #208
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub26nico View Post
Same here. I hope it's coming soon.

I can't use SWS autocolor correctly, only white and black are find.
No problem with tracks created on another OS.
I can confirm this, just tried to use it yesterday and also seemed to have only black and white, wanted to test with wine before reporting something, as I can't remember exactly how it works. Simply no time at the moment..
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Old 10-06-2017, 03:26 PM   #209
sub26nico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
I can confirm this, just tried to use it yesterday and also seemed to have only black and white, wanted to test with wine before reporting something, as I can't remember exactly how it works. Simply no time at the moment..
@Jack Winter, autocolour works fine but, in the linux native version,
we have to edit the number of colour, no graphic palet to choose
the colour.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:27 AM   #210
Matt Mayfield

The Linux version keeps getting better and better! I'm excited the way things are going - it looks like soon Wine won't be necessary anymore.

One small window management issue I'm having is that, when I press Shift-? to bring up the Actions dialog, keyboard focus remains on the previous window. This breaks my usual workflow of hitting Shift-? and immediately typing a string to search for an action - instead the main window interprets my keystrokes as shortcuts. (!)

This is on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS using the Unity desktop environment.
Matt Mayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:08 AM   #211
stoman

I've been using the native Linux version for a couple of vocal recording sessions lately. Works pretty well overall. Some keyboard short-cuts don't work, and the FX GUIs don't always show up when clicking on the plugin slot, but other than that I could not detect any serious issues. The font problem is gone too.

However - as of now I would not be able to use the Linux version for any mixing jobs, as it lacks LV2 support. Without being able to use the Calf and EQ10Q plugins, only very basic mixing would be possible, as VST plugins (especially good ones) on Linux are virtually non-existing.

So - is LV2 support planned?
Old 10-11-2017, 02:51 AM   #212
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoman View Post
I've been using the native Linux version for a couple of vocal recording sessions lately. Works pretty well overall. Some keyboard short-cuts don't work, and the FX GUIs don't always show up when clicking on the plugin slot, but other than that I could not detect any serious issues. The font problem is gone too.

However - as of now I would not be able to use the Linux version for any mixing jobs, as it lacks LV2 support. Without being able to use the Calf and EQ10Q plugins, only very basic mixing would be possible, as VST plugins (especially good ones) on Linux are virtually non-existing.

So - is LV2 support planned?
I can't speak for Cockos, but LV2 support is definitely planned. That said, I've heard many people say that Calf does look nice, but sound wise is mediocre. If you don't like reaeq, have a look at x42-eq which is pretty nice too, and does work with the lv2vst wrapper.

Keyboard shortcuts not working might have to do with your DE/WM, many times alt doesn't properly get forwarded to reaper, try to remap the meta key to the windows/apple key instead.
Old 10-11-2017, 03:16 AM   #213
stoman

Quote:
I can't speak for Cockos, but LV2 support is definitely planned. That said, I've heard many people say that Calf does look nice, but sound wise is mediocre. If you don't like reaeq, have a look at x42-eq which is pretty nice too, and does work with the lv2vst wrapper.

Keyboard shortcuts not working might have to do with your DE/WM, many times alt doesn't properly get forwarded to reaper, try to remap the meta key to the windows/apple key instead.

Thanks, Jack! Good to know that LV2 support can be expected sometime in the future.

As for the Calf plugins: Some are pretty ok, some not so much, but in general they do fill the gap (in combination with the EQ10Q stuff), as there is not really any alternative for anything that goes beyond compression and EQ (and is worth mentioning IMO).

I currently use Harrison Mixbus 32c on Linux, and while its extremely limited routing capabilites drive me nuts, I do love the built in channel strip compressor, the EQ, and the tape saturation. Would be nice to have something like this in REAPER.

Other than that I use the OverTone DSP plugins and the Ardour delay (and the Ardour compressor for side-chain ducking) on Linux. Definitely not remotely the same league as my Windows plugins, but you can do decent mixing jobs with those plugins for sure. It would definitely be an advantage to have all those plugins available in ALL Linux DAWs.

I forgot to mention another bug (or limitation?) I came across in the Linux version of REAPER: In the Windows/Mac version I can set the default audio path in the preferences dialog to "Audio", and it will use that path as a relative path based on the project directory. The REAPER version ignores that setting and always writes all the files into the project's root folder.

... and the peak files will always be stored in a global folder instead of the folder "peak" under my project folder, where I want them to be.
Old 10-11-2017, 03:35 AM   #214
Jack Winter

Quote:
I currently use Harrison Mixbus 32c on Linux, and while its extremely limited routing capabilites drive me nuts, I do love the built in channel strip compressor, the EQ, and the tape saturation. Would be nice to have something like this in REAPER.

Other than that I use the OverTone DSP plugins and the Ardour delay (and the Ardour compressor for side-chain ducking) on Linux. Definitely not remotely the same league as my Windows plugins, but you can do decent mixing jobs with those plugins for sure. It would definitely be an advantage to have all those plugins available in ALL Linux DAWs.
FWIW, I've used some Harrison LV2 plugs with lv2vst too, for instance these: http://harrisonconsoles.com/site/pluginessentials.html other plugins worth mentioning are the u-he ones, satin is quite a nice tape emulator.

Quote:
I forgot to mention another bug (or limitation?) I came across in the Linux version of REAPER: In the Windows/Mac version I can set the default audio path in the preferences dialog to "Audio", and it will use that path as a relative path based on the project directory. The REAPER version ignores that setting and always writes all the files into the project's root folder.

... and the peak files will always be stored in a global folder instead of the folder "peak" under my project folder, where I want them to be.
The first of the above doesn't happen here. Media files are recorded into the Media subdir I've defined. The second I don't know as I configured reaper to store them all in a different global location.
Old 10-11-2017, 03:49 AM   #215
stoman

Quote:
FWIW, I've used some Harrison LV2 plugs with lv2vst too, for instance these: http://harrisonconsoles.com/site/pluginessentials.html other plugins worth mentioning are the u-he ones, satin is quite a nice tape emulator.
I'm afraid my own experience with lv2vst, Carla, or any other bridging solution has not been that great. I have never gotten anything to work decently.

I do own Satin (and love it - I use it on all my Windows projects), and I have the Linux version installed, but it does not work that great either. Some controls do not react to any user input, and sometimes the GUI does very weird things.

But I hope with Bitwig, Harrison Mixbus, Waveform and REAPER being available for Linux now, some more plugin developers will eventually jump on the Linux train and help get the ball rolling.

I do not think any of the big players will get interested any time soon (if at all), but I count on the independent developers ...
Old 10-11-2017, 10:38 AM   #216
Jack Winter

Something quite ironic is that this runs on linux https://www.waves.com/soundgrid-systems :S
Old 10-11-2017, 01:25 PM   #217
sub26nico

Quote:

As for the Calf plugins: Some are pretty ok, some not so much, but in general they do fill the gap (in combination with the EQ10Q stuff), as there is not really any alternative for anything that goes beyond compression and EQ (and is worth mentioning IMO).

For the Eq, the X42 eq is my favorite, cleaner than the eq10q ones
(specially in high frequencies). Another lv2 great plugins for Eqs
and compression, the ZamPlugins, the Multiband Compressor is great.
There are also LSP plugins, with great fonctionnalities, but the UIs doesn't
look good, but they are very efficient.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:37 PM   #218
reddiesel41264

ReaPack still isn't showing for me in the extensions menu, I'm on Linux Mint, anyone else having this issue?
Old 10-13-2017, 12:50 AM   #219
jazznfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddiesel41264 View Post
ReaPack still isn't showing for me in the extensions menu, I'm on Linux Mint, anyone else having this issue?
+1. Too on Linux Mint 18.2 Xfce and ReaPack doesn't appear. No problem with SWS

Last edited by jazznfunk; 10-13-2017 at 01:21 AM.
jazznfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 12:59 AM   #220
eric71

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazznfunk View Post
+1. Too on Linux Mint and ReaPack doesn't appear.
Same here. No problem with SWS, but ReaPack doesn't appear on Mint 18.2 KDE.
Old 10-13-2017, 01:53 AM   #221
Jack Winter

Have you tried building reapack yourself, or just installed the binary?
Old 10-13-2017, 02:12 AM   #222
reddiesel41264

Quote:
Have you tried building reapack yourself, or just installed the binary?
I've only tried using the binary, I'll have a look at building it later.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:44 AM   #223
reddiesel41264

Quote:
2) x86: gcc -Wall -Wextra -Werror -Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-missing-field-initializers -Wno-unused-function -Wno-missing-braces -fdiagnostics-color -fstack-protector-strong -fvisibility=hidden -pipe -fPIC -O2 -std=c++14 -m32 -Ivendor -Ivendor/WDL -Ivendor/WDL/WDL -Ivendor/WDL/WDL/swell -DWDL_NO_DEFINE_MINMAX -DSWELL_PROVIDED_BY_APP -DSWELL_TARGET_GDK -DREAPACK_FILE="reaper_reapack32.so" -c src/win32.cpp -o build/win32.o
In file included from src/win32.hpp:23:0,
from src/win32.cpp:18:
/usr/include/c++/5/string:38:28: fatal error: bits/c++config.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
I get this mess when trying to build... can anyone translate it for me?
Old 10-13-2017, 10:15 AM   #224
reddiesel41264

Ok I got it to work, I was using the latest version of the source code and that was giving me the failure. I've now used the previous version and it worked first time!

I've uploaded it here for anyone else who needs it - https://stash.reaper.fm/v/31881/reaper_reapack64.so
Old 10-13-2017, 07:46 PM   #225
cfillion

Quote:
I get this mess when trying to build... can anyone translate it for me?
g++-multilib must be installed on Mint for cross-compiling the 32-bit version on a 64-bit system.
You can build only the 64-bit version (like the previous release did) using rake 'default[x64]'. I've just added this and the above to the README.

The older pre-built binaries on GitHub requires libcurl and sqlite3 files to be at a specific location (Arch Linux's). Linux Mint (and likely others) uses different filenames.

Last edited by cfillion; 10-13-2017 at 09:06 PM.
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 04:22 AM   #226
reddiesel41264

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfillion View Post
g++-multilib must be installed on Mint for cross-compiling the 32-bit version on a 64-bit system.
You can build only the 64-bit version (like the previous release did) using rake 'default[x64]'. I've just added this and the above to the README.

The older pre-built binaries on GitHub requires libcurl and sqlite3 files to be at a specific location (Arch Linux's). Linux Mint (and likely others) uses different filenames.
Thanks, I just rebuilt the release candidate (64bit) using your updated instructions and it worked perfectly. I've updated my stash link in my previous post with this new version.
Old 10-14-2017, 04:57 AM   #227
X2theL

Default popen

Hi,
I've just fired up the script editor because I'd like to use a named pipe in a Lua script. But I get the error "'popen' not supported."

I've read that popen works on OSX so is there a good reason why it shouldn't on Linux?
X2theL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 10:16 AM   #228
Matt Mayfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Mayfield View Post
One small window management issue I'm having is that, when I press Shift-? to bring up the Actions dialog, keyboard focus remains on the previous window. This breaks my usual workflow of hitting Shift-? and immediately typing a string to search for an action - instead the main window interprets my keystrokes as shortcuts. (!)
Just wondering if anyone else is seeing this, or if it's something in my specific desktop. I've re-tested with today's Reaper build and also with libSwell built just now from Git, and the issue persists. The Actions window is not raised (doesn't receive keyboard focus) when first called up.

Note that this issue happens whether opening the Actions dialog from the menus or with the Shift-? shortcut, and this issue does NOT occur with any other window I've tried (Preferences, Project Settings, etc.) - in those cases, the dialog properly receives keyboard focus.
Matt Mayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 10:24 AM   #229
reddiesel41264

Quote:
Just wondering if anyone else is seeing this, or if it's something in my specific desktop. I've re-tested with today's Reaper build and also with libSwell built just now from Git, and the issue persists. The Actions window is not raised (doesn't receive keyboard focus) when first called up.

Note that this issue happens whether opening the Actions dialog from the menus or with the Shift-? shortcut, and this issue does NOT occur with any other window I've tried (Preferences, Project Settings, etc.) - in those cases, the dialog properly receives keyboard focus.
I don't have this issue. Linux Mint Cinnamon.
Old 10-14-2017, 11:31 AM   #230
eric71

Quote:

I've uploaded it here for anyone else who needs it - https://stash.reaper.fm/v/31881/reaper_reapack64.so
Thanks for this - working for me now.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:29 AM   #231
alextone

Quote:
Thanks, I just rebuilt the release candidate (64bit) using your updated instructions and it worked perfectly. I've updated my stash link in my previous post with this new version.
Thanks, it now works here too.

Alex.
alextone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 06:54 AM   #232
jiff 41

Has anybody got instructions on how to change SWS extension to a .so from an .EXE file just like the one for reapack?,
I did find one a while back for 2.9.6 but now that 2.9.7 is out I'd like to update it & would love to try build/convert it myself?

I'm on Debian.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:03 AM   #233
cfillion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiff 41 View Post
Has anybody got instructions on how to change SWS extension to a .so from an .EXE file just like the one for reapack?,
I did find one a while back for 2.9.6 but now that 2.9.7 is out I'd like to update it & would love to try build/convert it myself?
A Windows executable cannot simply be converted to a Linux one. The Linux binary must be built from source.

Instructions for building SWS are at https://github.com/reaper-oss/sws/wi...-SWS-Extension

Basically for Linux it's this:
Code:
git clone https://github.com/justinfrankel/WDL.git
git clone https://github.com/reaper-oss/sws.git
make
Then copy or link reaper_sws64.so into ~/.REAPER/UserPlugins.

Last edited by cfillion; 10-19-2017 at 07:41 AM.
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 07:35 AM   #234
jiff 41

@ cfillion
Thank you, Looks like I've got some homework to do?.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:19 AM   #235
Jack Winter

A heads up!

Harrison has a quite good discount on their plugins right now, there is this for the XT plugins: http://mailchi.mp/harrisonconsoles/x...o?e=b3965405c7 and also this: http://harrisonconsoles.lpages.co/specials/

Note that reaper still has no lv2 support, but all of these work in reaper with the lv2vst wrapper. Still haven't played with all of them, but they all seem useful in that they have a good GUI that makes it easy to get results.

As there aren't all that many free linux plugins that work in reaper, this is a nice addition if you don't want to try running windows plugins on linux. IMO still a tad expensive, but for me still worth to buy into just to have them on reaper for linux. Hope they don't end up gathering dust as so many other plugins I've bought
Old 10-20-2017, 12:39 PM   #236
Westrabua

Quote:
The Linux version keeps getting better and better! I'm excited the way things are going - it looks like soon Wine won't be necessary anymore.

This is on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS using the Unity desktop environment.
I don't have that either (Xubuntu 16.04). For me the search field is focused after Shift-?
Westrabua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:50 AM   #237
mpl

Reporting ReaScript bug (thanks to reddiesel41264 ):
Quote:
Not sure if there is anything that you can do about this or if it's a lua gfx issue but the GUI of the Align Takes plugin is all screwed up here on Linux Mint.
mpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 01:14 PM   #238
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpl View Post
Reporting ReaScript bug (thanks to reddiesel41264 ):
I can confirm this on my system (Archlinux).
Old 10-25-2017, 12:19 PM   #239
reddiesel41264

The forward and back buttons on my mouse just work as left and right click in Linux Reaper. Is this a driver issue, an OS (Mint) issue, or a Reaper issue?
Old 10-27-2017, 11:27 AM   #240
Nixon

Quote:
I can confirm this on my system (Archlinux).

Same here on Linux Mint with Lokasenna's GUI library
Nixon is offline   Reply With Quote