Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Color Themes and Icon Sets

Old 02-27-2024, 10:47 PM   #1
c@sey
Human being with feelings

Default How can I change the color of the TCP meter?

Hello, I would like to change the color of the TCP meter. When unarmed, it's a nice blue color, but when it is armed, it changes to a yellow color I do not particularly like. Where in the settings can I find and change this?

I am using the Reapertips theme, but can switch to Default if required for this change.

Thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: png tcp color.png (109.2 KB, 70 views)
c@sey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 12:45 AM   #2
nicholas
Scribe

From the menu, open the Actions List, find and run the action Show theme/configuration window

When it opens, search for meter and the world, my friend, will be your oyster. You click on any color you want to change then use the color picker. Potentially hours of fun!

Don't forget to Save Theme (changes) when done.

PS: First post, I see. Welcome!
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 12:54 AM   #3
c@sey

Hi, thanks! Took a while to get approved.

I changed the colors for "meter" but unfortunately nothing changed. I also tried this on the Default theme, but that didn't work either. If you have any other ideas on how to go about this, I would love to hear them.
Old 02-28-2024, 02:06 AM   #4
nicholas
Scribe

Ah yes it depends on the theme, ...

Last edited by nicholas; 02-28-2024 at 02:30 AM.
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 02:08 AM   #5
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

If you use WT Theme Assembler Script then the Assembled Theme lets you change all kinds of things, including meter colours.

To use the code colours instead, follow the instructions in the '2. Common tweaks to a REAPER theme' sticky in this forum : 'Tweak : Making meter colours editable'.

Last edited by White Tie; 02-28-2024 at 05:56 AM.
White Tie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 01:06 PM   #6
c@sey

Thank you so much White Tie, that helped a lot, I didn't know that was a thing. One last thing, How can I change the label colors? I've checked using the theme element finder and it never popped up, i also tried looking in both the .ReaperTheme and the RTCONFIG but couldn't quite figure out which element I need to change or how to change the color numbers (the reapertheme isnt #HEX or R,G,B, and RTCONFIG has a sort of matrix array going on.) I'm sure you get this asked a lot and I really did try looking around but I just couldn't find anything.
Attached Images
File Type: png meter numbers.png (123.4 KB, 34 views)
Old 02-28-2024, 05:48 PM   #7
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

tcp.meter.scale.color.* values, see https://www.reaper.fm/sdk/walter/walter.php, with some extra WALTER for how the theme works. Broadly speaking I don't recommend casually poking around in the rtconfig of the theme, its not user facing fun stuff, but on the other hand you're not going to break anything other than the theme installation.
Old 02-28-2024, 11:26 PM   #8
c@sey

Thank you a lot, White Tie. I managed to change the color of the meter indicators as well as figuring out how to disable the clipping indicator all on my own. I don't know if I'm supposed to make a new topic each time I have a different question but it seems spammy so I will ask here again.

1. How can I convert the TCP meter into Mono (or just disable the line in the middle. it annoys me because I record only in mono)
2. How can I change how selecting a media item affects its colors? I really like the pure green waveform on black look that I have, but when I record it autoselects it making it that grey-ish color. I looked in the Theme tweak/config window and didn't manage to find a setting for it, I also checked in rtconfig and did find some track_selected values but changing them didn't affect neither how selection on the track works nor disabling/changing how the color of a media item is affected by selecting it. I checked the walter.php page for an answer but didn't really find any. I've attached a image showing the type of changes I am looking for, I would really appreciate if you could point me in the right direction to change these. Thank you very much for your time and help.
Attached Images
File Type: png selection disable.png (81.2 KB, 33 views)
Old 02-29-2024, 03:59 AM   #9
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

I get the impression you might have more questions after these ones, so let me show you how to fish : there's a lot more to theming than that WALTER page, its all covered in the stickies at the top of this sub forum:

1. How to use a REAPER theme
2. Common tweaks to a REAPER theme
3. Making a REAPER theme

Please feel free to ask questions if you get stuck, but if I were to teach you theming one question at a time, we'd be here forever
Old 03-02-2024, 08:18 AM   #10
c@sey

Hi White Tie, I've spent the past two days doing as suggested, I went through the 3 stickied posts as well as looked at your 2012 "WALTER: A themer’s guide" and your "Power of Pink" document. I've also done a lot of messing around in rtconfig and managed to accomplish the following:

Disabled TCP being affected by track color by modifying tcp_bg and tcp_bgsel (now only the background of media items are which is perfect for what i need)
Made tcp_bgsel same as tcp_bg to disable selecting visual effect
Turnt on padding on Recarm
Change the meter width and set tcp.meter.vu.div to 0 which combined allowed me to get rid of the middle line on the Meter
Disable Supercollapsing by commenting main collapse
Disable Solo/Mute/Phase buttons (which also expands the width of the meter to fill the space there)
Disable Track Numbers by commenting set tcp.trackidx
Disabled track select color change by removing color from item_bg_sel
Allowed meter to go all the way to the left by set tcpMinSize to 8

My point in detailing this is to hopefully show that I have been trying my best to learn basic reaper theming.

Onto the things I need help with because I got stuck

1. When You disable set tcp.mute by commenting it, the entire toolbar that has muting, soloing, and phasing disappears. I think it has something to do with the scale commands in it, im not quite sure. Anyway, my issue is that when I do that, when the meter is on the right it disappears, but when I set the meter to be on the left, it has the space for the buttons even though I disabled them. I'm pretty sure it's a padding issue, how can I disable them fully?

2. Even though I disabled Media Item select, It still does the auto-select when recording. I thought it was a file in the Resources, but I can't find any. I also can't find anything in rtconfig about it. How can I change the media item selection so that it doesn't have a color difference on the media bg when recording? it's fixed when normally selecting (the colors are the same there,) but not when recording.

3. When I disable the Track Numbers (I'll only ever be using 1 track,) The padding for the track number is still there. I've tried to mess around in rtconfig to get the icons to move back, but was unable to find anything that worked. Where can I adjust the padding of the TCP itself or of the tcp trackidx to fix this?

Those are all the questions I have, any help would be very much appreciated.

Attached is two images of how my REAPER currently looks with the themeing/modding i have done. First is the selection when recording and meter on left, Second is selection after recording (you can't tell it's selected apart for the tooltip) and meter on the right, but dragged to the left.
Attached Images
File Type: png setup1.png (48.4 KB, 26 views)
File Type: png setup2.png (55.5 KB, 30 views)
Old 03-04-2024, 04:43 AM   #11
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by c@sey View Post
I have been trying my best to learn basic reaper theming.
Oh no you haven't, you've gone in the deep water. Mmmmm. The Default 6 theme (which is in essence what the Assembled Theme swaps the images of) was the most complicated Reaper theme ever made, though now the Default 7 is even more complicated. Messing around in its rtconfig is very, very far from basic, and requires you to understand how macros work, how theme scripting works and how Reaper's HiDPI functionality works. It also requires you to to understand what I was trying to do with its layout logic and how I went about achieving it, or it will absolutely fight you if you try to use a different layout logic. Which is indeed what you want to do, you want to use a much simpler layout logic. So, I'm now going to say to you the same thing I say to everyone, but to you its even more pertinent. I've found people generally don't listen when I say this, but it is my single most heartfelt piece of advice:

Do not try to learn Reaper theming by messing with the default theme.

You have now reached the point where the 'I'm just trying to change a few things' explanation doesn't apply. You are trying to change things that the Default theme itself, not Reaper, put in place. Its time to take an hour or two out of your life, make a blank text file (a blank text file is a 100% fully Reaper v7 functional theme, no really) and learn how this stuff actually works:

-------------------------------------

Inspect the 3. Making a REAPER theme sticky from the top of this forum, that covers how the layers of Reaper theming have been added over time and act on top of each other. Note, for example, that pink lines existed before WALTER, so there's a guide called 'Reaper Theming with Pink Bits'. That functionality was extended when WALTER was introduced, so its the extended pink (and yellow) behaviours that are covered in the WALTER guide.

The way to learn this stuff is to play with it it in this 'archaeological order', just for a few hours, to see how it adds up. Make a blank text file, change its extension to .ReaperTheme, open it in Reaper, that's now a fully functional theme. Use the theme tweaker to change some colours and fonts. When that is making sense, jump forward a few years by making a resource folder, and link to it from your theme. Put some images in the folder and another blank text file, this time called 'rtconfig.txt'. Add some of the 'advanced theming' commands to the rtconfig, see how they affect the whole theme. Got the hang of that? Now jump forward in time again, you're ready to mess with WALTER. Remove all the elements from a panel. Bring one back, position it, resize it. Bring a second element back and position it relative to the first. Make a layout, use WALTER to selectively override some of the colour or font assignments you set in the .ReaperTheme. When that's all making sense, maybe that's everything you feel you need. On the other hand, if you still want to know more you're ready to get completely up to date by swapping layouts based on screen scaling to add some HiDPI functionality, or maybe expose some variables to the user using the generic theme adjuster, or add a custom element.

And that's the whole of it. Do that, couple of hours, you'll probably have made a mess but you will understand things in a way that many bona fide theme makers never really grasp. And you'll be able to look into other people's themes and really see what's going on.

Old 03-04-2024, 06:33 AM   #12
smandrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
Do not try to learn Reaper theming by messing with the default theme.
Maybe it's time to do this:

Old 03-13-2024, 09:06 AM   #13
c@sey

Default Voice Over Theme

Hello, White Tie and everyone else. Thank you so much for your help and guidance in this short 2 week journey. I have learnt much more WALTER and general theming I have accomplished what I sought out to do and made a custom reaper theme that's optimized for voice over.

no buttons pressed

all buttons pressed