Old 03-09-2015, 12:54 PM   #1
eox08
Human being with feelings

Default Jack Audio and Reaper

Hey guys, today I downloaded and installed Jack Audio for a few different applications I would like to achieve. However, I am having 0 luck getting it to work at all. I have been crawling through google but I can't seem to figure out what I am doing wrong.

Essentially, when I run Jack Port Audio, then Jack Contorl and setup my Audio input and output device to my interface (Presonus FireStudio Mobile) everything shows up and gets selected. Then I close Jack Control and Port Audio, relaunch so the settings will go in affect, I open up Reaper and find absolutely no option for Jack Audio anywhere in my Audio settings. Just firestudio mobile. So, I then open up Harrison Mixbus to see if I can get Reaper to send to Mixbus, and I get nothing.

Also, I was wanting to use Jack Audio to record some samples from online for an experiment, I hope someone can help me out there..
eox08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 01:00 PM   #2
Lannister

You don't say in your post, but if you're using Windows, according to this link,

http://jackaudio.org/faq/jack_on_windows.html

Jack for Windows doesn't currently support 64bit application.
Lannister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 01:10 PM   #3
Rick O'Shay

Do what I do and connect your audio device's S/PDIF output to the S/PDIF input. Route the application doing the playing to the S/PDIF out and have Reaper use the S/PDIF input for recording. Works great.

Depending on what you're using for playback, you might need to lower Reaper's track playback fader level to "0" when recording to avoid a feedback loop.
Rick O'Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 01:37 PM   #4
eox08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannister View Post
You don't say in your post, but if you're using Windows, according to this link,

http://jackaudio.org/faq/jack_on_windows.html

Jack for Windows doesn't currently support 64bit application.
Whoops, I meant I'm running windows 7 64 bit. Okay, I finally got it to register inside Reaper, now I am trying to get the signal flow to work correctly and get the audio inside Harrison Mixbus
Old 03-09-2015, 02:31 PM   #5
eox08

Things I have done:

1. Start Jack Portaudio, change target settings for my PreSonus FireStudio in "targert" area. Success.

2. Open Reaper, change audio/device settings for JackRouter 1in 2in, 1out, 2out.

3. Launch Jack Control, make sure settings are correct with Audio Interface, Run the application,

4. Launch Mixbus

5. Set Mixbus does Monitoring

6. Set Mixbus 1 to receive Reaper 1&2 (As Reaper outs our 1&2 via Jackrouter)
-Hit Play with an audio playing, Mixbus receives no audio.

7. Set Mixbus Master out to Reaper 1&2
-No Audio

8. Open Jack Control, Select "Connect"

9. Take Reaper Audio Out 1&2 to the Input Section "Portaudio PreSonus FireStudio 1& 2" - I hear Audio fine.

10. Take Reaper Audio 1 & 2 to the Input Section "ardour Mixbus 1 & 2"

11. Check the levels in Mixbus, receives no audio.

Back to square one.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:04 PM   #6
mikeypee

I had the worst time imaginable, on several occasions, trying to get reaper's outputs to route in and out of other instances of reaper and/or normal windows recording apps. In the end I just bought an external soundcard and used a patch cable to route it's audio out to it's audio in, lol
Old 03-10-2015, 11:33 AM   #7
eox08

Well, is there another way around to doing this!?
Old 03-10-2015, 04:56 PM   #8
micron

isn't rearoute a better solution to route asio applications on windows?
micron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 10:29 PM   #9
eox08

hmm never tried that before
Old 12-07-2015, 01:52 PM   #10
DSHODGE

Default How I connected Reaper 64bit to Mixbus via Jack

I just spent several days trying to get reaper to connect to mixbus via Jack. I almost gave up several times and I read every forum I could find on the subject from top to bottom several times. Most responses have been something like "start jack and choose jack router as your ASIO soundcard" but they don't offer any assistance for people who can't get Jackrouter to connect to Reaper. Here are detailed instructions on what I did to make it work with 64-bit apps. I'm using my setup as I think most people want to, recording and editing in reaper and simply sending channels out to mixbus upon mix to use like a console.

First off, I'm running 64-bit Windows 8.1 with 64-bit Reaper 5, 32/64-bit Jack and I beleive I'm running 64-bit mixbus3

I'm going to assume you have Reaper and Mixbus3 already, but not Jack.
Also just a tip make sure you open jack control before opening reaper and mixbus

1: Download Jack2 "Installer for windows 64-bit" and install it normally. http://www.jackaudio.org/downloads/

2: Open Jack audioport and it will show a command prompt, now Open Jack Control and Audioport can be closed.
In Jack Control go to settings and under paramataters
-Set Server Prefix to "Jackd -S"
-Set Driver to "portaudio"
-Set Interface to your interface, in my case "ASIO::US-2000"
-Set Frames/Period to "32"
-Choose your Sample Rate, I used "96000"
-Set timeout to its max "10000"
-Set input device to your interface again in my case "ASIO::US-2000"
-Set output device to your interface again in my case "ASIO::US-2000"
-Choose how many channels I/O. I chose "64" for both

Save and close

I messed with these settings for hours and had no problem seeing mixbus, but Reaper would not show Jack Router no matter what settings I chose. Most forum posts said that it Jack would not work with Reaper 64 bit, but there is a work around.

3: While in Windows Explorer navigate to C:\windows\system32, and right click on "cmd.exe" and right click to choose "Run As Administrator" from the context menu. In the command prompt, type: cd\Program Files (x86)\Jack\64bits and hit enter. now that you have "navigated" to the proper folder, type: regsvr32 JackRouter.dll and hit enter again.

once I did this, Reaper was able to see Jackrouter and I could connect.

4: If you want more than 4 channels to send and receive, got to C:\Program Files (x86)\Jack\64bits and right click on JackRouter and go to properties. under the security tab edit permissions and give full control to your USER. hit ok and open Jack router and where it says "4" type how many in and outs you want. Again in my case, I chose 64 for both.

Save and close and you should be set to use as many channels as you need.
Thats all you need to do to get started but there are some other things to setup within reaper and mixbus.

5: within Reaper preferences>device, Set Inputs: first to "1: IN1" and last to "64: IN64" and set Output Range: first to "1: OUT1" and last to "64: OUT64" the last channel will be whatever number of channels you chose earlier in the setup.

6: Now within reaper go to preferences>audio and uncheck the first box: "close audio device when stopped and application is inactive" if you don't do this than any time you minimize reaper or stop playback, it will disconnect jack and you will lose part of your setup.

7: Simply open mixbus and create as many audio tracks as you need. with my 64 channel setup i can send 32 stereo tracks or 64 mono tracks to mixbus from reaper. I'm also able to send anything i need back to reaper, for instance sending my master out from mixbus back to reaper.

8: Now that you created your mixbus tracks go to jack control and click "Connect" which will open up your routing between reaper and mixbus. you can simply choose reaper for outputs and choose mixbus for inputs. You'll also have to send your Master outputs 1 and to from mixbus to system outputs 1 and 2 or setup routing back to reaper and from reaper out to system.

At this point routing is really up to you and there is a lot of creative possibilities once you have an understanding of the inputs and outputs and routing grids of both programs.

9: You still have to send your reaper tracks to hardware outputs now and you have to simply select "IN" at the top of each mixbus channelstrip otherwise you will not hear or see anything.

Sorry if I explained anything that was unnecessary for a lot of users, but I wanted to make a resource that explained a lot so people don't have to go on a 3 day forum hunt to find resources to make this thing work. If I was unclear about anything I'd be glad to elaborate.

Some of the resources that helped me a lot were:
* READ ME file include with jack located in \program files (x86)\Jack
* http://music.tutsplus.com/articles/w...o--audio-20601
* http://jackaudio.org/faq/jack_on_windows.html
* http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chusedos.htm

Last edited by DSHODGE; 12-07-2015 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Forgot one important step
DSHODGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 02:07 PM   #11
bobtom1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSHODGE View Post
I just spent several days trying to get reaper to connect to mixbus via Jack. I almost gave up several times and I read every forum I could find on the subject from top to bottom several times. Most responses have been something like "start jack and choose jack router as your ASIO soundcard" but they don't offer any assistance for people who can't get Jackrouter to connect to Reaper. Here are detailed instructions on what I did to make it work with 64-bit apps. I'm using my setup as I think most people want to, recording and editing in reaper and simply sending channels out to mixbus upon mix to use like a console.

First off, I'm running 64-bit Windows 8.1 with 64-bit Reaper 5, 32/64-bit Jack and I beleive I'm running 64-bit mixbus3

I'm going to assume you have Reaper and Mixbus3 already, but not Jack.
Also just a tip make sure you open jack control before opening reaper and mixbus

1: Download Jack2 "Installer for windows 64-bit" and install it normally. http://www.jackaudio.org/downloads/

2: Open Jack Control and under paramataters
-Set Server Prefix to "Jackd -S"
-Set Driver to "portaudio"
-Set Interface to your interface, in my case "ASIO::US-2000"
-Set Frames/Period to "32"
-Choose your Sample Rate, I used "96000"
-Set timeout to its max "10000"
-Set input device to your interface again in my case "ASIO::US-2000"
-Set output device to your interface again in my case "ASIO::US-2000"
-Choose how many channels I/O. I chose "64" for both

Save and close

I messed with these settings for hours and had no problem seeing mixbus, but Reaper would not show Jack Router no matter what settings I chose. Most forum posts said that it Jack would not work with Reaper 64 bit, but there is a work around.

3: While in Windows Explorer navigate to C:\windows\system32, and right click on "cmd.exe" and right click to choose "Run As Administrator" from the context menu. In the command prompt, type: cd\Program Files (x86)\Jack\64bits and hit enter. now that you have "navigated" to the proper folder, type: regsvr32 JackRouter.dll and hit enter again.

once I did this, Reaper was able to see Jackrouter and I could connect.

4: If you want more than 4 channels to send and receive, got to C:\Program Files (x86)\Jack\64bits and right click on JackRouter and go to properties. under the security tab edit permissions and give full control to your USER. hit ok and open Jack router and where it says "4" type how many in and outs you want. Again in my case, I chose 64 for both.

Save and close and you should be set to use as many channels as you need.
Thats all you need to do to get started but there are some other things to setup within reaper and mixbus.

5: within Reaper preferences>device, Set Inputs: first to "1: IN1" and last to "64: IN64" and set Output Range: first to "1: OUT1" and last to "64: OUT64" the last channel will be whatever number of channels you chose earlier in the setup.

6: Now within reaper go to preferences>audio and uncheck the first box: "close audio device when stopped and application is inactive" if you don't do this than any time you minimize reaper or stop playback, it will disconnect jack and you will lose part of your setup.

7: Simply open mixbus and create as many audio tracks as you need. with my 64 channel setup i can send 32 stereo tracks or 64 mono tracks to mixbus from reaper. I'm also able to send anything i need back to reaper, for instance sending my master out from mixbus back to reaper.

8: Now that you created your mixbus tracks go to jack control and click "Connect" which will open up your routing between reaper and mixbus. you can simply choose reaper for outputs and choose mixbus for inputs. You'll also have to send your Master outputs 1 and to from mixbus to system outputs 1 and 2 or setup routing back to reaper and from reaper out to system.

At this point routing is really up to you and there is a lot of creative possibilities once you have an understanding of the inputs and outputs and routing grids of both programs.

9: You still have to send your reaper tracks to hardware outputs now and you have to simply select "IN" at the top of each mixbus channelstrip otherwise you will not hear or see anything.

Sorry if I explained anything that was unnecessary for a lot of users, but I wanted to make a resource that explained a lot so people don't have to go on a 3 day forum hunt to find resources to make this thing work. If I was unclear about anything I'd be glad to elaborate.

Some of the resources that helped me a lot were:
* READ ME file include with jack located in \program files (x86)\Jack
* http://music.tutsplus.com/articles/w...o--audio-20601
* http://jackaudio.org/faq/jack_on_windows.html
* http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chusedos.htm
A much simpler way is to use rearoute. Open Mixbus, use portaudio and select rearoute as your asio interface.

Then all you need to do is assign the tracks in Reaper to whichever rearoute outputs you choose and route whichever tracks you choose from mixbus back into reaper.

There really is no need to mess about with Jack for this purpose any more to connect Reaper to mixbus but I wish I found your post ages ago when I was trawling the Web for exactly this info.
bobtom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 03:10 PM   #12
DSHODGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtom1 View Post
A much simpler way is to use rearoute. Open Mixbus, use portaudio and select rearoute as your asio interface.

Then all you need to do is assign the tracks in Reaper to whichever rearoute outputs you choose and route whichever tracks you choose from mixbus back into reaper.

There really is no need to mess about with Jack for this purpose any more to connect Reaper to mixbus but I wish I found your post ages ago when I was trawling the Web for exactly this info.
I have not tried rearoute and my reason being that I read a few posts that suggested I might be limited, maybe you can confirm or on the contrary prove these false?

A: Rewire is used instead rearoute now, not sure if thats true but rewire will not see mixbus.

B: reroute is not compatible with mixbus, but it seems like you have proven that wrong? And again I read that Jack does not support 64-bit DAWs and that was clearly false.

C: Reroute only supports 16 channels max. This is my biggest concern and why i pushed through with Jack, I simply don't want to be limited to 16 channels, even if I never use more than that, it gives me peace of mind knowing that I have all of that extra flexibility in routing.

This last one is just a question, are you able to route audio to and from both DAWs and direct either or to the system or soundcard? or are you bound to one or the other for your monitor out?
DSHODGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:35 PM   #13
bobtom1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSHODGE View Post
I have not tried rearoute and my reason being that I read a few posts that suggested I might be limited, maybe you can confirm or on the contrary prove these false?

A: Rewire is used instead rearoute now, not sure if thats true but rewire will not see mixbus.

B: reroute is not compatible with mixbus, but it seems like you have proven that wrong? And again I read that Jack does not support 64-bit DAWs and that was clearly false.

C: Reroute only supports 16 channels max. This is my biggest concern and why i pushed through with Jack, I simply don't want to be limited to 16 channels, even if I never use more than that, it gives me peace of mind knowing that I have all of that extra flexibility in routing.

This last one is just a question, are you able to route audio to and from both DAWs and direct either or to the system or soundcard? or are you bound to one or the other for your monitor out?
A. I never use rewire so I can't comment on that.

B. I'm using Windows 7 64bit, Reaper 5.xx and Mixbus 3. Rearoute IS very much compatible with it.

C. Once you select Rearoute as the Asio driver in Mixbus click on the device control panel and you can add more rearoute inputs and outputs upto 256.
Restart Reaper and it will now see these extra inputs and outputs.

You won't be able to route Mixbus to your soundcard this way. You will have to use Reaper to do this but you can route back and forth between the 2 programs.

Hope this all helps.

Last edited by bobtom1; 12-08-2015 at 03:42 AM.
Old 12-08-2015, 02:50 PM   #14
darthmorphling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtom1 View Post
C. Once you select Rearoute as the Asio driver in Mixbus click on the device control panel and you can add more rearoute inputs and outputs upto 256.
Restart Reaper and it will now see these extra inputs and outputs.
Thank you for this. I had given up on using Reaper like VEPro due to what I thought was the 16 channel limitation. You have made my day!
Old 12-09-2015, 02:26 AM   #15
bobtom1

Default Reaper and Mixbus with ReaRoute

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthmorphling View Post
Thank you for this. I had given up on using Reaper like VEPro due to what I thought was the 16 channel limitation. You have made my day!
Glad to be of help

I've searched long and hard for a way to do this with Jack but it's such a messy way to work (between Reaper and Mixbus).

I don't use any plugins in Mixbus as I don't yet fully trust it to be 100% stable. However I do like the fact that I don't 'need' to use as much processing/plugins in Reaper as I used to and the sound coming back from Mixbus is pleasing to my ears. It may not be everyone's cup of tea but I like it.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:55 PM   #16
Kray

Default ReaRoute better than Jack (and others)

After experimenting for months to find the best audio router I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in here. I have a windows 7 64bit pc and needed to send audio from a DAW in Windows to Reaper on the same machine. I may go into the reasons why in another forum but needless to say it turned out to be quite difficult. I tried several different programs and configurations. There was always some type of issue no matter what I tried. Keep it mind I needed settings that would be acceptable for live stage playing. When working with Reaper, I have found that ReaRoute is the most reliable/stable, highest quality, best performing, least buggy audio router for DAW to DAW audio sending/routing [HANDS DOWN]. * Quite simply - It just works!
Jack isn't bad but turned out to be functionally burdensome. Especially when rebooting and starting up the PC or assigning channels. I now can turn on my PC and have all my ReaRoute channels recognized by Reaper. Less than 30 seconds and everything is loaded/routed and ready to jam and/or record. It is amazing and the best part is I never have to mess with routing.
I hope this saves someone else time in figuring out which audio router to use. I tried quite of few of them. I've been doing live VST performance music for several years. Happy to answer any questions regarding this setup.
Kray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 06:28 AM   #17
mschnell

Thanks for sharing this information.

I'll do a link to your message in the "Reaper Live" overview thread.

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 04:53 PM   #18
Vadium

Jack able to synchronize two DAW. Are there any ideas, how to make it possible with Reaper? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFx4...J&index=2&t=0s