Old 05-03-2019, 02:42 AM   #1
Tubeguy
Human being with feelings

Default Slowing down Repaer recording in slowmow?

I need to record real piano part but it's too fast for me to play it properly so I wonder of Reaper can be slowed down for recording while keeping it all in the same pitch when played back on normal speed.
I know I can adjust the BPM and keep the same key but when I record this way the recorded part goes up in key when changed back to normal speed. Using a pitch VST just makes it sound terrible. Is there some better way?
Old 05-03-2019, 04:00 AM   #2
nofish

You can use the playrate slider (located in the transport bar in default theme) for that.

Before that, rightclick the slider and make sure 'Preserve pitch in audio items when changing master playrate' is ticked.

Then lower playrate to something suitable, record, set playrate back to 1 when done.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 04:17 AM   #3
ejanejarr

(nofish reply came in while I was typing)

Are your rhythm tracks MIDI or audio? The way I see it, it'd be easy to render the MIDI parts to audio (just for the recording) and then you'd have to choose wheter you'd rather:

a) record slower (therefore, in a lower key) and then play at normal speed. Beatles' "In My Life" has a piano solo recorded that way (collateral "damage" is it ended up sounding like a clavicorde, but that was cool and desirable for that specific song).

In the transport panel, you have the "playrate" knob/slider (depending on your theme) and rightclicking you can slow or speed the tune in note steps. This is different from changing the BPM.

Try slowing the playrate "note by note" to the point where you are comfortable playing, try to record and see if you like the sound. This way, there is no timestretch algos playing in, I think.

b) record slower but making sure the key doesn't change. I think you have to rightclick on the playrate control and activate the "Preserve pitch in audio items when changing playrate" function.

If you try to slow too much, your rhythm tracks should start to degrade but that'll be only for the recording. Once you've done recording, it'll be the piano track the one that uses timestretching to keep the key.

You should experiment with the different algos (in the item properties, or general project settings) and see if you like the sound. Compare with the recording you made the other way and choose your pain.

Maybe there is an easier way but I don't know any. Hope this helps
ejanejarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 01:14 PM   #4
vassaux

You can record the MIDI as slow as you like, when you go back to normal speed, the midi info is still correct key. Route your midi playback to your keyboard, and record the playback on an audio track.
vassaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 05:51 PM   #5
Bribedant

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
You can use the playrate slider (located in the transport bar in default theme) for that.

Before that, rightclick the slider and make sure 'Preserve pitch in audio items when changing master playrate' is ticked.

Then lower playrate to something suitable, record, set playrate back to 1 when done.
As above, that's how it's done. Just recorded cover song with some insane guitar picking. At original speed I just get sloppy playing the guitar part but at 93% original speed I can do it just fine. Setting Reaper back to 100% playback speed the guitar just follow the new tempo. No sound artifacts. I guess it's cheating but whatever get the job done, I'm happy.
Bribedant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 10:50 PM   #6
woogish

slowmow gives a much better "cut"
woogish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:07 PM   #7
Tubeguy

I didn't think slowing it down and preserving the pitch will keep the same pitch of recorded track even when brought back to normal speed. Silly me for not even attempting to try it. Thanks for that, it works just fine that way.
Reaper never ceases to amaze me.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:28 PM   #8
brainwreck

Playback rate and preserve pitch are great features for practicing your own parts at slower speeds and for learning parts of other people's songs too.