Old 11-11-2018, 07:46 AM   #1
mccrabney
Human being with feelings

Default Snooks impyC -- deleting/selecting midi like an MPC

script author requested that this be removed

impyC lets you hold a key/midi note in order to selectively delete or select recorded midi notes on a specified track while REAPER is playing.

for example, if you have a drum pattern on track 9, you select track 9 and then activate impyC in either of a couple of modes. DELETE ALL deletes every note that the cursor passes over. DELETE lets you hold down the midi notes you want deleted -- great for selectively deleting every other hi hat, for example, as the sequence plays.

the SELECT option does the same thing, except it selects it instead of deletes it.

i have woven this script into my bidule/launchpad setup, and i even use a footpedal to make it work as well. in my ongoing quest to achieve a more hardware-feeling control over REAPER's sequencer, impyC goes a long way in reducing my mouse-fatigue, because i can edit my midi tracks directly from my controller.

at the author's request, i've removed the attachment.

Last edited by mccrabney; 09-17-2020 at 10:44 AM.
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 09:44 AM   #2
TonE

Thanks for sharing, to both of you! Will try to figure out how it works, a manual would be useful, maybe I can put something together, while figuring out everything. I can operate it using the mouse, seems to work so far, however it is still a bit unclear how I can learn the modes? Tried various things, not succeeding yet. Is it depending on the jsfx in impyC control? Do I need to record arm this track? I did, but no learning. Having one more mode deselect all could be also useful maybe? How are you using it, in case you selected something wrongly, how are you deselecting again, using the mouse?

I guess easiest is then just editing the script, instead of trying to learn. Default mapping is:
PHP Code:
57  select all
58  delete all
59  select notes
60  delete notes 
What would be recommended settings for using this?

Last edited by TonE; 11-11-2018 at 10:38 AM.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 11:54 AM   #3
X-Raym

This sounds very interresting, a video demo will be very welcome
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 03:23 PM   #4
mccrabney

Quote:
What would be recommended settings for using this?
i use midi cc messages to trigger the different modes, 127 value to turn it on and 0 to turn it off (think footpedal, press and release, like a sewing machine)

the plugin should create an "impyC control" track - stash it away, and you don't have to look at it again

dock the GUI for the plugin, and then close the dock - once you have it set up, all you have to do is use your learns

make sure your target track is selected before you attempt to use impyC on it.
Old 11-13-2018, 03:47 AM   #5
TonE

Maybe we can collect related alternative, probably less elegant methods here, each might still have their pros and cons in different scenarios:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-SNzu0VG2g
In this video it ends with "... using same sounds", of course this does not have to be like this, you could design your track as complicated as you wish, bypass some vst in next round, toggle another in another round, so you could still use lots of different sounds, plus you could use zones, depending on which octaves you play, you could get different sounds. Plus you could have layerings you could switch on/off, basically everything what Vangelis is doing using 10+ foot pedals and his program change machines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zzkalHmY10

impyC seems to use the most elegant and simplest mapping possible, using a two octave keyboards last 4 keys to toggle momentarily between different modes. Just perfect for gm mapped drums playing/recording. I will check it as soon as I can with my small k-board.

Last edited by TonE; 11-13-2018 at 04:00 AM.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:23 AM   #6
TonE

Art of layering, how masters do it. Scott Storch. Select a sound, play it in. No quantize, no mouse clicking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQFioSG45Lk
Old 11-18-2018, 07:16 AM   #7
mccrabney

snooks, i just found a bug where if a note starts on 1.1.00, it gets deleted by impyc no matter where in the timeline the script is triggered.

i must have missed this one because my midi almost never begins at 1.1.00
Old 11-19-2018, 02:42 AM   #8
snooks
Banned

Interesting, I'd never had seen that either since 5.0 is the beginning of a project for me. I'll have a look to see what's happening, thanks!
snooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 06:18 AM   #9
mccrabney

if i may make a late request, snooks -
i've found that my projects are somewhat littered with old JS from old instances of impyc. occasionally i run into issues where they prevent any notes from getting through to the vsti.

bughunting this would be tedious, so i had the thought -- what about a partner script that crawls one's REAPER project and removes any existing instances of the impyc input fx js, etc? that way, you'd start with a clean slate every time.

unless i'm overlooking/not understanding something.
Old 11-27-2018, 02:04 PM   #10
snooks
Banned

Yeah, that should get checked on project change or something. There's probably a thing with multiple tracks being selected/unselected.
snooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 06:36 AM   #11
TonE

Why snooks requested removal of that script? Everything ok? Just because of other topics in this forum? Anyway, I hope all is fine. I mean we have the script, but what about all others who might be as well interested in this script?

I hope snooks will add/share this script again somewhere, github maybe? It does not have to be in this forum or stash, if he is angry about something here? Have a nice day friends. Will try to get impyC working.

Has anyone a step by step tutorial how to use impyC? Best, someone with experience, mccrabney maybe?
Old 10-05-2020, 07:18 AM   #12
akademie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
...<snip>
I mean we have the script, but what about all others who might be as well interested in this script?
<snip>...
Hello TonE, may I politely ask you for sending me the script in Personal message, please?
(Reading about its features it excited me enough to try because that's what I've missed from old hardware drummachines/sequencers).

Thanks
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 10:25 AM   #13
TonE

It would be best if the author of this script, snooks would share it, I would say.

mccrabney, does midi learn work there? Here somehow it is not working, maybe something has changed in the api, in the last two years? If I change the modes via mouse clicks it seems to work, but it would be cool it that could be done via midi controllers, without any mouse. I like its usage via k-board with lighting on the keys, so you see which notes are playing thus you can easily delete/hold the notes you do not like for deletion, this is the perfect use case.

Now I only need to be able to switch into the note deletion mode via midi, somehow. I hope hackey trackey will add similar functionality directly inside hackey trackey so we do not need two scripts, impyC + hackey trackey. Too bad snooks removed its sharing plus is not updating impyC anymore.

This functionality should exist inside Reaper by default if you ask me. A cooler function one can not have, if you like looped recording, overdub mode, without ever stopping playback, but then still can selectively delete notes by simply holding wrong notes. More elegant it can not get, and it is lots of fun.

Did only MPC have this method of note deletion? Any other hardware as well?

akademie: In case snooks will not upload it anywhere and he agrees us sharing it further, I can upload it somewhere for you. But without his permission I find it strange, if he does not want it. I found it also by their discussion somewhere in this forum, then asked them, and it was shared just for few people I guess, not sure why, maybe it was a small internal project. Maybe they can write more about it, how they developed it? Maybe they have more other cool stuff as well. I hope snooks will come back to this forum, not caring of older stories, whatever they may be.

UPDATE: By looking into the code I found midi learning is happening via the impyC Control track, thus this track needs the correct settings so it can listen to your external midi hardware, in my case I need to change them first. Then it seems to work. Will test more.

UPDATE2: But not sure why inactive mode has no midi learn or how should we switch back to inactive "radio" again without using the mouse?

Last edited by TonE; 10-06-2020 at 11:29 AM.
Old 10-06-2020, 04:27 PM   #14
Meo-Ada Mespotine

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
It would be best if the author of this script, snooks would share it, I would say.
I doubt it as snooks seems to be banned.

On vacation for the time being...
Meo-Ada Mespotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 04:34 PM   #15
TonE

Who banned snooks and why?
Old 10-07-2020, 05:29 AM   #16
Meo-Ada Mespotine

Dunno. The last posts of snooks seemed harmless to me...

On vacation for the time being...

Last edited by Meo-Ada Mespotine; 10-07-2020 at 10:07 AM.
Meo-Ada Mespotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 10:06 AM   #17
mccrabney

yeah midi learn is working fine here.

the only issues i have with impyc is that sometimes (seemingly at project load) the JS pre-fx gets jammed and won't let any midi through. i could probably write something that would delete those fx before project save, or something, since they're only necessary when the script is being used.

also, every now and then, at project load, impyc crashes and needs to be restarted.

i think that, since the developer wanted his code removed, we should look towards an alternative.
Old 10-07-2020, 10:41 AM   #18
TonE

Are we two, plus snooks the only users of impyC, and me not really yet, just tested a bit to see if it works. Yes, it seems working, however needs improvements as I mentioned above.

How are you switching back to inactive mode? (For midi learning the "learn" buttons were somehow in the way, but if I click in a certain pixel position it seems working. Also not sure why some show the "learn" button, others not?) Anyway, now I can learn somehow, the only "big problem" is the return to inactive mode, via midi, without any mouse.

Which of the four modes are you using mostly? For me I need only two modes actually, either deleting specific notes, or deleting all notes. Are you using those "note selection modes" as well, if yes, for which scenarios, how can those be useful in practice? This is for me more editing, that I would do using the mouse and the normal editor. For recording fun, the other two modes seem more useful.
Old 10-07-2020, 12:47 PM   #19
mccrabney

Quote:
How are you switching back to inactive mode?
i have the modes learned to toggled ccs, so that when the corresponding button is released the value returns to 0, resetting it to inactive mode. or at least i think that's how it works, i set it up a long time ago.

i primarily use the "delete" modes as well. i envisioned using the select modes more for selective controller-based quantizing, velocity editing, etc, but never got there.
Old 10-07-2020, 02:02 PM   #20
TonE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
i have the modes learned to toggled ccs, so that when the corresponding button is released the value returns to 0, resetting it to inactive mode. or at least i think that's how it works, i set it up a long time ago.

i primarily use the "delete" modes as well. i envisioned using the select modes more for selective controller-based quantizing, velocity editing, etc, but never got there.
Yeah, for all the editing precision there we have already something perfect: hackey trackey. Fun of editing is there. Thanks for the detailed answers.

Regarding mapping, I only tried quickly with mapping notes, from k-board, I can retry using cc and see how it behaves there. However I have no extra option defining the mapping style. Probably best design would be defining each 'radio option' as a separate .lua script, as Nabla Looper does for example, so we can trigger those scripts directly with any mapping we like, also for going back to inactive mode for example.