Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 03-12-2009, 09:16 AM   #1
adouglas
Human being with feelings

Default Very basic OS X install question

A version or two ago one of the changes was a "new install procedure" for OS X that was not spelled out.

I notice that the distributions now only have a few files, not the full directory structure with all the libraries and such.

Until this happened. I was replacing all matching files with every new release, just in case something besides the application itself had changed. This was tedious, because I have some additional files in there (like the mp3lame dll) that need to stay.

The way it is now, obviously all I do is replace Reaper and ReaMote, which is great.

General question going forward.... if future distributions go back to including the support files and directories, will it still be safe to just replace Reaper and ReaMote?

Asked another way....when new versions come out, do the support files change?
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 03:08 PM   #2
bennals

I suspect you will just have to wait and see. Future updates may require it, but I'm sure Cockos will let us know if and when that happens.

Bill.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:16 AM   #3
Justin
Administrator

For future versions, unless we announce otherwise, if there are just two .app files (and no support files) included, you can just upgrade the .app files. Once you do, and run, the .app files will automatically update the contents of your (~/Library/Application Support/REAPER/ paths).

-Justin
Justin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:48 AM   #4
adouglas

Awesome. Thanks!
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:23 AM   #5
danbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
For future versions, unless we announce otherwise, if there are just two .app files (and no support files) included, you can just upgrade the .app files. Once you do, and run, the .app files will automatically update the contents of your (~/Library/Application Support/REAPER/ paths).

-Justin
Is it possible to set this up so that the support files are stored alongside the application instead of being within ~/Library? I want to set up the OS X version of REAPER on a USB stick, along with my registration, colour themes and possibly plugins.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:41 AM   #6
Amberience

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbee View Post
Is it possible to set this up so that the support files are stored alongside the application instead of being within ~/Library? I want to set up the OS X version of REAPER on a USB stick, along with my registration, colour themes and possibly plugins.
That's a bad idea, imo. The library location is a standard place for support files for applications, and Reaper should use it.
Amberience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:26 PM   #7
danbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberience View Post
That's a bad idea, imo. The library location is a standard place for support files for applications, and Reaper should use it.
Yeah, it should definitely be used in the case of a local install, but when working from a USB stick you want your preferences and stuff to follow you and not get stored on the machine you're using, so it would be nice to have the option to choose.