Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 12-21-2017, 10:03 AM   #1
JoeMadBro
Human being with feelings

Default VSTs controlled by usb controller

I am looking at getting a small controller along the lines of something like the korg nanokontroller2. My question is can I use a controller like this to control vsts? Specifically I want to use the faders to adjust pitch using the pitchshift vst. I'd like to tie the faders to different sliders within that vst. Is that doable?

I've been looking and I'll find something that sounds like it'll work. I'll keep reading and it'll sound like it's not going to work

If I'm not clear enough in my question, let me know and I'll try explaining it better.

Thanks
JoeMadBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 10:32 AM   #2
DarkStar

Yes, knobs / sliders on MIDI controllers can be "MIDI Learned" to control a plug-in's parameters. To check what parameters the plug-in has, load it onto a track and click the track Automation button in the Track Control Panel (or Mixer Control Panel). Details are in the Reaper User Guide.

This approach uses "plug-in parameter automation". For some plug-ins, there is an alternative: MIDI CC messages can be statically or dynamically mapped to controls within the plug-in. This second approach is done within the plug-in itself, Reaper knows nothing about it. Details should be in the plug-in's User Manual.

And, for completeness, there is a third approach: for any plug-in you can use Parameter Modulation / MIDI Link to map MIDI CC messages (or Notes or Pitch Bend or ...) to the plug-in's parameters. Details are in the Reaper User Guide.
Old 12-22-2017, 09:47 AM   #3
solger

In addition to DarkStar's post above:

- https://music.tutsplus.com/tutorials...1--audio-16493
- https://music.tutsplus.com/tutorials...2--audio-16695
solger is offline   Reply With Quote