Old 10-04-2018, 09:24 PM   #1
brummbear
Human being with feelings

Default LiveBeatRepeater for live performance

Edit 2018-10-12:
Release V1.02: Added Features
- Continuous Loop Length Change Slider. Map this one to a rotary encoder in relative mode! When used the loop length transitions will happen immediately while repeat mode is on. When repeat mode switches back to off the plugin automatically goes back to stepped mode.

Edit 2018-10-10:
Release V1.01: Minor bug fix
- fixed loop soft fade out inconsistency when repeat mode is on for a longer time than 2 bars

Edit 2018-10-09:
First "official" release V1.0 after fixing the most important issues. Now with a second audio buffer which removes previous limitations when switching repeat mode on/off in short cycles. Enjoy!

Description:
------------

JSFX for LIVE(!) performance stutter effects. Zero latency. Synchronized to project tempo and time signature. Works well with linear songs as well as loop based material. Mashes up nicely your rhythms on drum tracks/percussion. Great toy on voices.

What makes this fx different from the classical looper or "instant" samplers is the fact that it constantly samples the input and repeats what you just heard when you trigger the repeat mode. I.e. you do not have to trigger recording a loop blindly hoping it will be what you want, but you repeat what was just played.

Most fun if controlled via a MIDI/OSC hardware device (pad controller, touch screen device). E.g. Repeat On-Off to a pad, continuous Loop Length to a rotary encoder (relative mode) and stepped Loop Length to dedicated pads (one for each loop length).

Separate loop audio routing allows to conveniently feed the repeating loop into any custom fx chain. Resonant HP/LP filters with variable cut off frequency, ping pong delays, distortion etc work particularly well with the stutter and allow spontaneous live (or automated) build ups. For additional variation you can parameter modulate these effects synced to tempo (built in Reaper feature) if you are running out of hands to tweak knobs...

Plugin download here:
https://stash.reaper.fm/v/34512/LiveBeatRepeater.jsfx

================================================== ================================================
Notes:
1. The track audio that feeds into the effect is sampled while playing => track should be playing least 2 bars before initiating repeat mode for the first time. No limitations thereafter.

2. This plugin really asks to be controlled with a hardware controller. Best are pads or a touch screen but a keyboard works too. I like the free plugin "ReaLearn" from Helgoboss (https://www.helgoboss.org/projects/realearn/) because it simplifies the mapping process greatly. Attached screenshots show a mapping example incl the details for one exemplary note pad that sets the loop length to 1/2 bar when touched.

3. In order to route the looped audio into additional fx processing set Fx Channel Routing to "Loop on separate Fx Output only". Go to pin connector and route the loop audio to track channels 3/4. From there into any fx bus on another track or to an effect sitting on 3/4 in the same track (the latter requires you to merge the audio at the end of the fx chain back onto 1/2 via e.g. the stock JS stereo mixer that comes with Reaper).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ReaLearn-1.jpg (45.6 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg ReaLearn-2.jpg (45.9 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by brummbear; 10-21-2018 at 03:46 AM. Reason: Updated description
brummbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 02:10 AM   #2
X-Raym

Thx for sharing !

even if Repeat length parameter is discrete internnaly (1/4, //8 etc...), it would be better if it was exposed as continuous, so that we can update from 1/4 to 1/32 (for eg) with only a ramp (two point).

Current mode is by adding a square point at each step.
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 12:44 AM   #3
brummbear

Thx for the feedback X-Raym!

I can see your point and have added a hidden slider ("Repeat Length", updated file in stash) for automation envelope curves as an alternative to the stepped input. It is only useful for automation edits and not so much for live use (which is the main focus of the plugin) because I found that JS effects do not always report the slider change reliably if either the mouse is still on the slider and clicked or even with linked MIDI CC when the controller sends continuous MIDI streams (weird). That sometimes results in delayed changes of the loop length which sucks when used live. The stepped slider has no such issues. Taken from the automation envelope the continuous slider changes work flawlessly. That's why the continuous slider is hidden and only exposed in the track envelopes. It is coupled with the stepped input - you have the choice, both sliders follow each other.

PS: I find that even for editing the stepped envelope is more useful because it gives you precise control when the loop length changes. With curves it is a lot of trial and error (e.g. bezier tension) to get nice sounding transitions.

EDIT:
The hidden slider has been replaced in V1.02 with the Continuous Loop Length Change Slider. The latter works both live as well as for automation.

Last edited by brummbear; 10-21-2018 at 03:50 AM. Reason: change in V1.02
Old 10-06-2018, 02:10 AM   #4
X-Raym

Ok thx, it worths testing ! :P
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 05:59 AM   #5
todd_r

Thanks brummbear would it be possible to add a button instead of a dropdown to initiate it, would be a lot easier when playing with it live, rather than vie automation. Also buttons or checkboxes for the repeat length would be handier than a dropdown
todd_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 07:11 AM   #6
timbralzoom

lovely one!
Thank you so much!
timbralzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 01:38 PM   #7
zookthespook

Used this yesterday
Fantastic !
Thank you
Zook
zookthespook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 03:55 PM   #8
brummbear

Updated version (in stash) with choices for loop transition timing and soft fade out when ending the repeat cycle.
Old 10-08-2018, 05:34 AM   #9
Nantho

This one is really fun !

Thank you very much

Can't wait to play with the future new features !
Nantho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 05:59 PM   #10
brummbear

New version in stash.
Changes:
* additional loop transition timing choices
* separate loop audio routing (switchable!). This allows to feed only the looping audio into any fx chain. Much more flexible than built-in effects. Go to pin connector and route the loop audio to track channels 3/4. From there into any fx bus track or within the same track (the latter requires that you merge the audio at the end via e.g. the built in JS stero mixer).

Last edited by brummbear; 10-09-2018 at 05:52 PM.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:06 AM   #11
brummbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd_r View Post
Thanks brummbear would it be possible to add a button instead of a dropdown to initiate it, would be a lot easier when playing with it live, rather than vie automation. Also buttons or checkboxes for the repeat length would be handier than a dropdown
I agree that using the drop downs with the mouse is not much fun. I wrote this plugin to be used with a hardware controller as it really aims at a live workflow. While your suggestion would be an improvement it would still be far from ideal - the mouse is just not right for this. Have you tried with some MIDI mapping? Even a keyboard works. I have attached some pics now with exemplary mapping.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:41 AM   #12
Vagelis

Nice one! Any chance to add tripplets,dotted and reverse in the future? Thanks!
Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 08:28 PM   #13
brummbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagelis View Post
Nice one! Any chance to add tripplets,dotted and reverse in the future? Thanks!
Yup, that should be fairly easy. Actually, I am thinking of adding a scrub/scratch function at some point, i.e. allowing to control the direction and playback speed of the loop on the fly. Unfortunately I am really busy with other things these days and it will take some time before I can look into this.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:40 PM   #14
Vagelis

That would be cool
No worries take your time, i'm looking forward when ever you 're ready.
Cheers!
Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote