Old 01-15-2019, 04:31 AM   #1
todd_r
Human being with feelings

Default Line Level to Instrument Level and back again...

Hello,

I'm looking for a way to interface guitar and line level effects, so I need something simple...

Line level in, to instrument level and..

instruemnt level to Line level

The first looks fairly simple, there seems to be a few re-amping devices

But bringing instrument level to line level seems harder. DI boxes seem to match impedance so you can connect to a mic in, but not bringing up to line level like I need. I'd prefer two channels or more for stereo, but can always jsut double up on mono's..

Any ideas what I need?

Thanks
todd_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 04:55 AM   #2
todd_r

I was thinking two of these for Line to instrument...

https://www.diyrecordingequipment.com/products/l2a

But I can#t find the equivalent of the reverse
Old 01-15-2019, 06:38 AM   #3
SonicAxiom

probably the best way to do it:

Old 01-15-2019, 07:59 AM   #4
todd_r

That looks perfect, but pretty expensive.

I suppose I just need a 2 channel pr-amp with instrument inputs and line outs, in addition to the re-amp kits

Looks like this would do it for relatively cheap

https://www.thomann.de/gb/art_tube_preamp_system.htm

Any other options?

I dont really need the mic pres, just the instrument ins, but cant find any instrument only pre-amps.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:34 AM   #5
DVDdoug

There's not much difference in voltage level. Depending on the guitar and pickup, a guitar can put-out nearly 1V (or maybe more) when strummed hard and cranked-up. Many interfaces have a (high impedance) line/instrument input or inputs that switch between (low-impedance) mic and (high-impedance) instrument/line.

The main difference is impedance. If you plug a guitar into a line-input, the lower impedance of the line-input "drags down" the guitar voltage, and it also alters the tone.

Quote:
instruemnt level to Line level
You need a preamp with an instrument input. But, those tend to be expensive. You could use a mixer that has an instrument input, or a DI box into a mixer's mic input, or an interface with an instrument-input and a zero-latency hardware-monitoring output. Or an active guitar pedal will often work. The output from an active guitar pedal is low impedance so you can usually run it into a line-input, but you might have to crank the gain up a bit.

It's OK to drive a high-impedance input from a low-impedance source, but not the other way around.

So, it's OK to run a line-level output into an instrument input,
but you might need to turn-down the volume a bit.

BTW - Headphone outputs are also approximately line-level (voltage) at even lower impedance so you can connect a headphone-out to line-in. But again, you can't properly drive headphones with a line-output because you're driving a low(er) impedance with a high(er) impedance.
DVDdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 11:35 PM   #6
numberthirty

Todd...

To start with, could you go into a kind of bigger picture "What I'm Trying To Do..." on this?

We talking...

- Live Use?
- I'm Recording?
- I'd Like To Be Able To Do Both?

Also, what are the pieces in question?
numberthirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 01:16 PM   #7
todd_r

Hi, thanks for the replies.

So what I want to do is use guitar effects pedals in production to treat, synths, audio form a DAW etc essentially as modular analog effects. I want to be able to make effects chains (as you would in Reaper) but would need to go back and forth between Line level rack gear and pedals.

I'm still in the process of picking the pedals, there are a few that state they can handle line level specially, and are stereo, so no problem they're, but some that don't so need a way to interface them if its going to be a problem.

Thanks
Todd
Old 01-17-2019, 03:12 PM   #8
ashcat_lt

Just plug them in and go. The only pedal that might not quite sound right is a real vintage style fuzz pedal which depends on having "too low" input impedance for passive guitar pickups which basically just kills all the treble coming out of the guitar before it gets fuzzed. You may have to watch levels here and there, but it shouldn't be an issue.

As mentioned above, +4dbu nominal line level is not that far off from a relatively strong guitar signal and impedance isn't going to be an issue with line inputs or outputs.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote