Old 01-16-2019, 04:51 PM   #41
Coachz
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Sure, if the peaks are near zero but only if they are near zero. But there is some value to knowing how loud those values actually sound IMHO.
Yep. 😎😎
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 06:13 PM   #42
ashcat_lt

Hard limiting to RMS can be pretty pretty weird, and is probably not what you actually want. The longer your window, the longer it takes for the detector to register that you've crossed the threshold (in either direction). Some of that can be dealt with using proper lookahead (precomp in ReaComp), but it can still be strange. I've used it for certain things, but would never consider doing so on a full mix except as a special effect. I do a lot of long RMS (and precomp) compression at mostly very low ratios, and that is a good transparent way of reducing the dynamic range, but at ratios big enough to be called limiting it can be pretty unnatural.

What you actually need (as mentioned above) is to render your thing and then analyze and/or normalize to reach your target, and if you can't get a DR (peak minus integrated average) with that, use more conventional dynamic processing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
Peaks not near zero I'm always down about 13 lufs peaking at like -10. My monitors volumes are right where I like them. I had an spl meter before Armageddon here. Now I wing it.
Then your monitors are about 10db too loud. It's that simple. You should be able to hit 0dbFS without blowing things (or yourself) up. If you want it that loud for other reasons (I can think of a couple), maybe try turning down the level of the Hardware Send on your Master.

Last edited by ashcat_lt; 01-16-2019 at 06:28 PM.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 06:33 PM   #43
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
Hard limiting to RMS can be pretty pretty weird, and is probably not what you actually want. The longer your window, the longer it takes for the detector to register that you've crossed the threshold (in either direction). Some of that can be dealt with using proper lookahead (precomp in ReaComp), but it can still be strange. I've used it for certain things, but would never consider doing so on a full mix except as a special effect. I do a lot of long RMS (and precomp) compression at mostly very low ratios, and that is a good transparent way of reducing the dynamic range, but at ratios big enough to be called limiting it can be pretty unnatural.

What you actually need (as mentioned above) is to render your thing and then analyze and/or normalize to reach your target, and if you can't get a DR (peak minus integrated average) with that, use more conventional dynamic processing.

Then your monitors are about 10db too loud. It's that simple. You should be able to hit 0dbFS without blowing things (or yourself) up. If you want it that loud for other reasons (I can think of a couple), maybe try turning down the level of the Hardware Send on your Master.
Great suggestion. Hardware send is a great place to do this. Thanks
Old 01-16-2019, 08:23 PM   #44
woogish

try multicompression
woogish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 04:03 AM   #45
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by woogish View Post
try multicompression
Thanks but I"m trying to move into the LUFS world since it appears directly designed to measure loudness it would seem a loudness limiter using LUFS would be very logical.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:00 AM   #46
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
...it would seem a loudness limiter using LUFS would be very logical.
But it's not. I dig where you're coming from, but I'm telling you it doesn't actually work in practice. Have you tried it yet? I mean if you actually like what it does, then fuck me, but I'm pretty sure you won't like it nearly as much as other ways.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 01:11 PM   #47
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
But it's not. I dig where you're coming from, but I'm telling you it doesn't actually work in practice. Have you tried it yet? I mean if you actually like what it does, then fuck me, but I'm pretty sure you won't like it nearly as much as other ways.
I've started to use LUFS meters on the master to see what my current loudness is but that's it. Is there something not to like with setting a mix to -14 lufs or do you mean trying to limit channels by using lufs?

What downsides do you experience ashcat_lt ? Coming from an engineering background I tend to migrate towards the shiny thing......oh look 30 band eq....then I end up using a 4 band because it works better for me . :-)