Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 02-19-2007, 11:10 PM   #1
timthetortoise
Human being with feelings

Default Integrated EQ on audio tracks

Okay, so actually two feature requests!
Switched from Cubase SX3 recently and love Reaper so far. However, I really miss having 4-band EQ on each track! So convenient, and just makes things a lot easier.
The other feature is really more of an annoyance for me. I like to be able to totally deselect waveforms, and in Cubase I was able to click in whitespace and it'd deselect anything selected. In Reaper, it does deselect, but it also relocates the time to that point. Like I said, it's really more of an annoyance from a lingering bad habit; but it'd be nice to have the option of setting up that behavior.
timthetortoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 11:12 PM   #2
Jae.Thomas

yes, we need this but we need it optional so that we dont have unwanted eqs running on every track therefore making the overall cpu even a bit higher.
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 12:04 AM   #3
Art Evans
Mortal

Do a small right-click drag in white space in order to deselect all items without moving the cursor.

I guess most people here have their favourite eq set up as default effect for new tracks. And the eq that is best for that is something that no two members will agree on!

Last edited by Art Evans; 02-20-2007 at 12:18 AM.
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 12:35 AM   #4
Bevosss

Quote:
Originally Posted by timthetortoise View Post
I like to be able to totally deselect waveforms, and in Cubase I was able to click in whitespace and it'd deselect anything selected. In Reaper, it does deselect, but it also relocates the time to that point. Like I said, it's really more of an annoyance from a lingering bad habit; but it'd be nice to have the option of setting up that behavior.
Just map it in key commands. I mapped U to item:unselect all items, and Y to track:unselect all tracks, and I use them all the time for getting back to normal fast.

And hold down alt and right-click in 'whitespace' to unselect items without moving the cursor.

Edit: Right-click drag is faster though, thanks Art!

Last edited by Bevosss; 02-20-2007 at 12:44 AM.
Bevosss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:57 AM   #5
catscandal

a Jessusonic plug or low cpu vst could possibly be the basis of track eq. I played with Nuendo recently for the first time in ages and realised how useful it was to have a mixer open with the ability to adjust eq relatively between tracks with the built-in 4-band parametric eq. This is actually a very useful feature - not bloat. +1 for eq on each channel in the mixer!

I was actually coming over the the FR forum to add this request - and there it is!
catscandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 02:18 AM   #6
sinkmusic

Location: decepticon mothership in a hidden place inside a mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Evans View Post
Do a small right-click drag in white space in order to deselect all items without moving the cursor.

I guess most people here have their favourite eq set up as default effect for new tracks. And the eq that is best for that is something that no two members will agree on!
Yes.
I am really happy with my own eq (Electri-Q, not to quote it), and good & free eq are plenty all around.
I'd rather expect from a DAW that it focuses on daw features (importing/sequencing/worfkflow/exporting, erc.).
The wiki is already huge, the users FR are hundreds, and even if reacomp and reafir are nice and welcome, it is only icing on the cake (at least to me).
When we will have "everything" that only a DAW can provide (better midi learn, bounce, warp markers, etc), then i will be glad to have some "bonuses", but as Art said, eq are higly subjective, and free third party alternatives are so many that at the moment i think it would be "lost time".
sinkmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 02:45 AM   #7
Bevosss

Quote:
Originally Posted by catscandal View Post
This is actually a very useful feature - not bloat. +1 for eq on each channel in the mixer!
It is bloat if it's not optional...even unselected they incur a small cpu hit which adds up over many tracks.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:12 AM   #8
Art Evans
Mortal

Heh, I made the mistake of searching the shortcuts for "deselect..."!
Old 02-20-2007, 10:51 AM   #9
chip mcdonald

There's no matching the convenience of being able to just instantly grab a knob for the track you're hearing. IMO.

Assignable plugin knobs on the TCP would work fine. If you're not using them, they're not sucking cycles.

.. and again, as evidenced above, people used to it in other DAWS expect it.

/ brought to you by the Chip Muad'dibonald TCP Plugin Knob Jihad
Old 02-20-2007, 11:15 AM   #10
tonyg

I also prefer assigning my own favorite EQ's.

I guess this might be OK if "optional", but please don't put
some "generic" EQ on every track as a built-in.

Maybe just put a button that instantly calls up the EQ that you
specify, sorta like a special FX button just for EQ maybe. And then you determine what EQ actually goes in there (or none at all).

Tony
tonyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 06:39 PM   #11
arke

I'd be for an integrated EQ. Its just incredibly useful to see how things are in relation to each other.
arke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 07:07 PM   #12
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by arke View Post
I'd be for an integrated EQ. Its just incredibly useful to see how things are in relation to each other.
is this THE arke? as in "arke code" as in "kvarke" ??

WELCOME!

well, show me one screenshot of how you can see how EQ shows things in relation to one another, this i would like to see.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:10 PM   #13
Bevosss

Sounds like he's talking about thumbnails...
Old 02-20-2007, 07:22 PM   #14
SRR

What about those of us that want compression on every channel, ewww, how about gates on every channel, thats how the big Midas boards are set up. In a word if Justin puts in a button for a cockcos or JS eq I won't throw a fit, but where does it stop, just at EQ??? I like starting a tracks FX from scratch, and building my own FX chain, its the only way I would want a DAWs FX from here on out to be set up. Of course it goes with out saying two things if he implements something like this, 1) OPTIONAL 2) CUSTOMIZABLE.
SRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 07:27 PM   #15
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRR View Post
1) OPTIONAL 2) CUSTOMIZABLE.
right on!!!!!!
Old 02-20-2007, 07:41 PM   #16
Empty Planet

With respect, I've never heard of anyone listing a host's in-channel eq as being their favorite. Much more often the reverse, in fact.

As a long, longtime Cubase user, allow me to offer the humble opinion that this is one of the ways Cubase started to go south years ago, when it began to try to be all things to all people. For the vast majority of users, that onboard eq became just another part of that 750 megs of application that just didn't get used.

Reaper is an astonishingly concise, elegantly coded package. I think there's something to that.

Cheers.

Last edited by Empty Planet; 02-20-2007 at 07:44 PM.
Empty Planet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 08:02 PM   #17
DuX

EQ's are quite subjective thingies, that's why there are TRACK TEMPLATES, so everyone can make their own tracks with different chains of fx and eq's and compressors...

I've got a dosen of track and project templates and growing. They are so utterly handy and make you work so much faster ONCE YOU MAKE THEM, of course .

So don't be lazy and set up your own templates and off with this kinda useless thread.

Thank goodness I got rid of that rubbish called Cubase and it's useless EQ's on every track and now someone wants it in Reaper. How about using the much better than many and also free Posihfopit EQ on every channel? Just download Posihfopit and make a track template with it.

Cheers!

Last edited by DuX; 02-20-2007 at 08:06 PM.
DuX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 08:03 PM   #18
SRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty Planet View Post
With respect, I've never heard of anyone listing a host's in-channel eq as being their favorite. Much more often the reverse, in fact.

As a long, longtime Cubase user, allow me to offer the humble opinion that this is one of the ways Cubase started to go south years ago, when it began to try to be all things to all people. For the vast majority of users, that onboard eq became just another part of that 750 megs of application that just didn't get used.

Reaper is an astonishingly concise, elegantly coded package. I think there's something to that.

Cheers.
Exactly, I never found use for Cubase's EQ. I might find use for a JS or cockos EQ, but not the same EQ on every track, I have a UAD-1, I don't use the cambridge EQ on every track, I don't use the pultec on every track, I don't use the UAD-1 channel strip EQ on every track. But I might use all of them during a mix on different tracks for different reasons. Hmmm, maybe I would throw that fit...it might makes newbies complacent and say oh this EQ is awesome or this EQ bites never learning that each good EQ has its uses, heck even the bad ones might have their uses, but the user needs to find out what works for them, that is why: 1) OPTIONAL 2) CUSTOMIZABLE , is the only way this would work, and even then I am not sure its a good idea at all.
SRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 08:13 PM   #19
timthetortoise

Jeez, don't get bent out of shape over a simple suggestion. I used Cubase's EQ almost exclusively, and that's why I miss it. I've only been using Reaper for about a week and didn't know about track templates, so maybe that will help my workflow. Thanks for the right click and drag tip.
timthetortoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 08:15 PM   #20
Jae.Thomas

no ones getting bent out of shape, just discussion our opinions -
Old 02-20-2007, 08:18 PM   #21
aldi

the automation remote guis in the mixer as talked about in other featuerequests. best solution till now, hopefully someday.
aldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 08:24 PM   #22
catscandal

Quote:
Originally Posted by catscandal View Post
a Jessusonic plug or low cpu vst could possibly be the basis of track eq. I played with Nuendo recently for the first time in ages and realised how useful it was to have a mixer open with the ability to adjust eq relatively between tracks with the built-in 4-band parametric eq. This is actually a very useful feature - not bloat. +1 for eq on each channel in the mixer!

I was actually coming over the the FR forum to add this request - and there it is!
What if you could choose an eq plugin that was like your 'mixer eq' (similar for COMP or whatever) so that it got applied to every track in your project and you could see some controls for it in your mixer. SEEING it all in the mixer doesn't necessarily mean a lot - ADJUSTING it in the mixer by going across your channels and adjusting eq relative to each other on different tracks is a great feature that Reaper is missing. I think choosing a project 'all tracks fx chain' that exposes controls in the mixer would actually be better than a 'built in track eq'. It is the ability to make adjustments in two tracks side by side that makes this so handy in apps like Cubase.
catscandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 08:55 PM   #23
sumpm1

I personally also did not like the EQ on every track in Cubase. As stated, any sort of track templates can be created in MUCH less time than it took to post in this thread. SO MUCH power in track templates, we shouldn't be lusting after a feature like built in eq's.

I do agree with others that perhaps quick track comparisons with eq may be useful, but was never in my workflow. Another suggestion was made to have a customizable gui, with ONLY the parameters that you add on it. So you could add adjustments from all tracks etc... seems pretty cool.

I think that if Reaper is going to add a feature that would just be a copied feature from another app, we MUST improve it and streamline it. For example, for the eq on every track, there should be an EQ MIXER, that is separate from the mixer. And when you want to EQ a bunch of tracks as you said, you can just bring up the EQ mixer and go nuts.
sumpm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 01:09 AM   #24
chip mcdonald

Hey, uhm...

Pointing out again, if there were assignable knobs for plugins on the TCP, you could use whatever EQ you wanted, or use it for compressor threshold, delay mix, ,

or not at all!

**** assignable knobs for plugins on the TCP ******
Old 02-21-2007, 01:11 AM   #25
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip mcdonald View Post
Hey, uhm...

Pointing out again, if there were assignable knobs for plugins on the TCP, you could use whatever EQ you wanted, or use it for compressor threshold, delay mix, ,

or not at all!

RIGHT ON!!!!!!

Old 02-21-2007, 01:18 AM   #26
chip mcdonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
RIGHT ON!!!!!!

The spice must flow!!!

Or the eq gain, frequency, q.. or the delay regeneration, or the chorus rate, reverb time, or....
Old 02-21-2007, 01:22 AM   #27
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
The spice must flow!!!

Or the eq gain, frequency, q.. or the delay regeneration, or the chorus rate, reverb time, or....
hmmmmm sounds yummmy now.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:22 AM   #28
Count Bassie

Quote:
Hey, uhm...

or not at all!

Again, this is very practical, especially for a software DAW layout like this. For the more hardware-referenced though, the option to have it as a "Mixer Feature" is a neat idea. It just looks relatable from the point of view of looking at a console. It is, after all, a GUI... matter of taste.

The two issues are the ability to choose an EQ and avoiding the unnecessary use of CPU. Right?

Whichever method of including EQ/plug-ins as 'integrated', it's not going to break a deal for me. Possible to have such a feature with sensible controls in both views?

Hoping I'm not missing something obvious here, I'm not an expert with any of this- just a home-project/band dude.

-The Grubs
Count Bassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 09:43 AM   #29
chip mcdonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Bassie View Post
the option to have it as a "Mixer Feature" is a neat idea.
Ack, perhaps I should specify I'm assuming it would also be on the mixer... one day I'm going to have two monitors...

Quote:
The two issues are the ability to choose an EQ and avoiding the unnecessary use of CPU. Right?
Which, if the knobs are assignable to plugins, satisfies both requirements...
Old 02-21-2007, 09:48 AM   #30
hansdampf

There is one thing that I would really like about Track-integrated-effects (which should be configurable IMO):
Right now we can set Pan, Volume, Mute,Solo per MIDI for selected tracks. This way you can set up a fader on a MIDI-controller to control the volume of the selected track for example. But it would be really nice to be able to set up such focus-oriented MIDI-controls for some EQ- or Compressor-parameters, too.
hansdampf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 11:57 AM   #31
RedStone

the TCP thing I like - if there's room for a ton of flexibility there without adding CPU usage.

But an integrated EQ ... I don't know if there is really all that much use for one unless we are talking about an ultra low CPU analog modelled channel strip with dynamics processing and a gate. But even then ... why re-invent the wheel when there are great EQs/compressors/gates all over the place - including the ones that come with Reaper? I'd like to see the existing plug-ins using less CPU before built channel processing (to be honest).

and besides, you can set up reaper to have all of your favourite low CPU channel plugins load with each track you insert by choosing "save chain as default for all tracks" from the right click menu of the track FX window

ElectriQ is fantastic ... I never used it because I thought I had to pay for it (I was wrong!) It has pretty low CPU (around 3% with a ton of bands active), and it's minimum phase to boot!

Last edited by RedStone; 02-21-2007 at 03:00 PM.
RedStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 02:49 PM   #32
sebas777

I'd propose:

- user selects a default EQ plugin in Preferences (be it VST, DX or Jesusonic !)

- they may be available as small knobs or a graph directly from the mixer, or appear in the TCP (when vertically zoomed enough). Great in addition to "vertical auto-zoom of selected track/item" in the view menu.

- By moving the knobs one controls the plugin of his choice.

- presets of "mapped" plugins are either downloaded from the Reaper sites, or are auto-created based on parameter names.
sebas777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 03:24 PM   #33
Art Evans
Mortal

My default EQ plugin has over 40 knobs and 20 buttons, which would present a challenge to this scenario!
Old 02-21-2007, 03:25 PM   #34
sebas777

that's why the "maps". Do once, use forever.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:32 PM   #35
sinkmusic

Location: decepticon mothership in a hidden place inside a mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Evans View Post
My default EQ plugin has over 40 knobs and 20 buttons, which would present a challenge to this scenario!
nearly the same here.
I vote for a knob which would directly open my favourite eq : you click and bang ! Electri-Q is here !
(But this feature is really not that important to me, as i already have set a track template with my favourite eq inside).
sinkmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 03:49 PM   #36
Saukar30

Just to add my 2 cents, I really think people really need to use the song template feature if they want a EQ/Compressor on each channel and then set that to default. That's why it's there.

But to have a similar EQ setup similar to the one in Audition would be nice, where you can just just tweak a couple of parameters right there in the mixer would be helpful.

Me, myself, LOL, since the track templates feature was implemented I've still been setting up different track & song templates for all of my VSTs so this really wouldn't be a big concern. I like Reaper being LITE if you get what I mean.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:08 PM   #37
sebas777

programmable QuickKnobs, QuickXY pads and QuickEQ controls would be nice to have (saved with templates ?).

=========
While we're at the plugins... how about docking the "add fx" window under the slots to add more plugins at once by drag+drop,
and to [v] "preview GUI" in the window before deciding if it fits the track or not ?

Btw, when you have got so many letters in the filter, that there's only one plugin as your result, pressing "enter" could immediately import it to the rack. Easier.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:21 PM   #38
Solar

Default Got my Vote here!!

I've always wanted to see Reaper having its Eq for each track but its true it can be implemented in a way that you can CALL the Eq page to appear... I do use my prefered Eq as plugin from URS etc.. but I do have also my Own setup Eq in Nuendo for Cutting Lows or Adding some Air etc.. and like that i do not have to Open a plugins and insert etc...So i vote to possibiliy one day see an EQ include in the Track mixer of Reaper just a bit like SAW studio.. love that idea if we do not want to include it like in Cubase etc..

I vote!!+3
Old 02-21-2007, 08:32 PM   #39
chip mcdonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebas777 View Post
I'd propose:

- they may be available as small knobs or a graph directly from the mixer, or appear in the TCP

- By moving the knobs one controls the plugin of his choice.
So what you're saying is, if there were assignable knobs for plugins on the TCP, you could use whatever EQ you wanted, or use it for compressor threshold, delay mix, or not at all??? Assignable knobs for plugins on the TCP?

That's utterly brilliant! Pure genius incarnate!

/ the echo in here is getting shorter and shorter...
Old 02-21-2007, 08:33 PM   #40
Jae.Thomas

yes, please dont suggest the same thing as chip, as we all know, he thought of it first