Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 03-22-2018, 10:52 AM   #1
ultravoss
Human being with feelings

Default route audio output of each VSTi track to a separate audio track

Hi folks,

"route audio output of each VSTi track to a separate audio track"

that´s what I am trying to do, but the result is that on each audio track I get the audio sum of all VSTis tracks. How do I have to do the routing?

What I do is, I have let´s say

Track 1: VSTi 1. I put an audio "send" to track 2 on it.

Track 2: empty track.

Track 3: VSTi 2. I put an audio "send" to track 4 on it.

Track 4: empty track.

When I now play notes on track 1 and 3, what I get on track 2 and 4 is both identical, it is the sum of the audio that is produced on the tracks 1 and 3. How comes? I want the output on separate tracks, for further processing with audio effects. Can anybody help me please?
ultravoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 11:04 AM   #2
Judders

What instrument are you using? You have to set up the output channels in the plugin and then select those outputs for the sends.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 12:17 PM   #3
dug dog

Here's a video that might be helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CzL_7NPysk
dug dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 12:24 PM   #4
ultravoss

That sounds logical to me... so I looked up the dialogue of the plugin and changed the output channels of the second plugin to 3+4. They were on 1+2, like the output channels of the first plugin. Sadly, nothing changed :-( still both audio tracks record the sum of both plugins. The first instrument is "Synth1", the second one is "MinimogueVA".

Thanks for the video link. I will try my best with the video tutorial.
Old 03-22-2018, 12:29 PM   #5
Judders

Wait, are you saying that you've got 2 software synths on the same track and you want their output to be separate?
Old 03-23-2018, 04:52 AM   #6
ultravoss

No, the instruments are on separate tracks :-)
Old 03-23-2018, 04:55 AM   #7
Stella645

[QUOTE=ultravoss;1969850]That sounds logical to me... so I looked up the dialogue of the plugin and changed the output channels of the second plugin to 3+4. They were on 1+2, like the output channels of the first plugin. Sadly, nothing changed :-( still both audio tracks record the sum of both plugins. The first instrument is "Synth1", the second one is "MinimogueVA".

EDITED for future readers as I had posted completely unnecessary steps - Thanks to Ashcat for posting the simplicity of this further down the thread!!

in Summary - Just send track 1 to 2 and 3 to 4, select record output on 2 and 4 and record.

Last edited by Stella645; 03-23-2018 at 10:06 AM.
Stella645 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 05:01 AM   #8
Stella645

EDITED:Unnecessary complication

Last edited by Stella645; 03-23-2018 at 10:07 AM.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:01 AM   #9
ultravoss

I tried that, but I still get the audio sum on tracks 2 and 4. I think I am going to make two recording takes, recording both instrument in separte sessions. That just worked. Thanks for you effort!
Old 03-23-2018, 08:06 AM   #10
Judders

Have you disabled "master/parent send" on the instrument tracks?

I'm still a bit confused why you are using sends when you could add the fx to the existing tracks... unless you are wanting parallel processing?
Old 03-23-2018, 08:47 AM   #11
Stella645

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultravoss View Post
I tried that, but I still get the audio sum on tracks 2 and 4. I think I am going to make two recording takes, recording both instrument in separte sessions. That just worked. Thanks for you effort!
Weird....if you wanted to upload your rpp I could take a look....it must be something simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
Have you disabled "master/parent send" on the instrument tracks?

I'm still a bit confused why you are using sends when you could add the fx to the existing tracks... unless you are wanting parallel processing?
Master/parent doesn't seem to matter here.
I'm guessing they want to tweak instrument settings live as they record to another track? Otherwise they could just render.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:48 AM   #12
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella645 View Post
Master/parent doesn't seem to matter here.
I'm guessing they want to tweak instrument settings live as they record to another track? Otherwise they could just render.
Master/parent send does matter, because the tracks will be outputting audio to the master as well as the receiving channels.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:14 AM   #13
Stella645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
Master/parent send does matter, because the tracks will be outputting audio to the master as well as the receiving channels.
In theory this seems to make sense...but this is my result.

Master/parent left ticked for first run and unticked for second. Other than differences from a rotary effect on one of my instruments the two recordings seem to be giving about the same result??

Old 03-23-2018, 09:16 AM   #14
ashcat_lt

First of all, if we keep mixing up the words "track" and "channel" we're going to end up confusing everybody.

The OP wants to send from Track 1 to Track 2 and from Track 3 to Track 4. Nothing special should be necessary here at all, and they definitely should NOT need to mess with changing Channels on anything. It should just work. Yes, if they only want to hear Track 2 and 4, then 1 and 3 should have Master/Parent send disabled, but that's almost beside the point.

If you create one single send from Track 1 to Track 2, and Track 1 has no other sends and Track 2 has no other receives, then there's no way that the audio from Track 3 can end up on Track 2, and there's also no way for audio on Track 1 to get to Track 4. If the OP is actually observing what they describe (and not just confused about what they are really observing), then something is severely fucked up.

The one thing I can think of is that some plugins have ways of communicating between instances via a sort of global memory that can completely bypass Reaper's own routing. These are pretty rare, and there are even fewer that actually pass audio that way, and I'd be surprised if it was actually the problem here.

I'm also not sure why they're trying to do this, but it kind of doesn't matter. There are plenty of good reasons. This is basic functionality and super simple and shouldn't even be a question because all you have to do is exactly what the OP says and then it works because that's how it works. Doesn't matter if it's a VSTi Track or a Vocal Track, it should just work.

I'm leaning way in the direction that the OP is mistaken about what they're actually seeing/hearing. If we could see a few screenshots or short video...

Edit cause Stella posted while I was typing -
Master/Parent Send won't change what gets recorded in that case. It will change what you hear when you play it back, or if you actually render the master mix.

Last edited by ashcat_lt; 03-23-2018 at 09:26 AM.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 09:25 AM   #15
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
Master/Parent Send won't change what gets recorded in that case. It will change what you hear when you play it back, or if you actually render the master mix.
This is why I mentioned it.

I'm really confused too, because it should just work by dragging the I/O to the track.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:41 AM   #16
Stella645

Quote:
First of all, if we keep mixing up the words "track" and "channel" we're going to end up confusing everybody.

If you create one single send from Track 1 to Track 2, and Track 1 has no other sends and Track 2 has no other receives, then there's no way that the audio from Track 3 can end up on Track 2, and there's also no way for audio on Track 1 to get to Track 4. If the OP is actually observing what they describe (and not just confused about what they are really observing), then something is severely fucked up.
But now you have audio track 1 sending to track 2 and 3 to 4 and with no other routing changes. How do you actually record the vst playback into audio onto tracks 2 and 4(which was what they actually wanted to do)?
Old 03-23-2018, 09:44 AM   #17
ashcat_lt

Set tracks 2 and 4 to record output.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 10:02 AM   #18
Stella645

Quote:
Set tracks 2 and 4 to record output.
Hah....you're absolutely right....not quite sure what happened when I tried this before....maybe I got thrown by the warning message before realising it could be ignored.

I'll edit out all the irrelevant crap from earlier for clarity for any future readers.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:42 AM   #19
ultravoss

It works!!! YESSS!!! It works!!! I set tracks 2 and 4 to "record output -> stereo". The result is separate audio recording on each track. Thank you so much, folks... I love you <3

Regards,
ultravoss