Old 02-15-2018, 07:07 PM   #1
jesus4c
Human being with feelings

Default Newbie question - how to fix a script.

I'm very new to Reaper and know absolutely nothing about scripts, but have come from a long background of video editing and one of THE most useful key combinations I use every day is J-K-L to shuttle (scrub) forwards or backwards at various speeds.

And I've found the perfect scripts to do the job: https://github.com/fernsehmuell/reaper_scripts

BUT the J key doesn't quite do what it's supposed to. In his description, fernsehmuell has the following:
'If you have problems using the Reverse_Play_Shuttle_(J) script or renamed the background-script, then you have to edit the script and insert the new command_id.'

Can someone tell me exactly how to do this? I can see how to edit a script within Reaper, but have no idea what to insert and where. (I have messaged fernsehmuell with this question, but haven't received a reply)
jesus4c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 04:07 AM   #2
X-Raym

It mostly depends how they are broken, there is no generic ways to fix a problem,

In your case I think the keyboard shortcoded onto the script name (this doesnt seem optimum), so to modify it you have to change name and reimport files in action list, and maybe change a command ID inside the background script.

But the real problem you have to exposed is

- what was the expected behavior ?
- what is the undesired output ?

This is how problem can be (hopefully) solved, or at least, investigated.

Screen capture helps a lot ;P
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 09:37 PM   #3
jesus4c

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Raym View Post
It mostly depends how they are broken, there is no generic ways to fix a problem,

In your case I think the keyboard shortcoded onto the script name (this doesnt seem optimum), so to modify it you have to change name and reimport files in action list, and maybe change a command ID inside the background script.

But the real problem you have to exposed is

- what was the expected behavior ?
- what is the undesired output ?

This is how problem can be (hopefully) solved, or at least, investigated.

Screen capture helps a lot ;P
Thanks for your reply, X-Raym! This JKL combination looks like it comes from Avid, but I use it each day with Quantel QEdit Pro (video editing). If you hit the L key once, it plays at normal speed. Hit it a 2nd time and you get double speed, 3 times plays faster again. The K key stops playback, and the J key does the same as the L but in reverse. It's very quick to find exactly the point you want - particularly in a voice over or interview.

I have installed and mapped these 3 keys to the actions in Reaper and both L and K are working perfectly with the scripts. But the J is not doing anything at all. I'm a bit confused with the J key, as it also has a background script (which the L or K scripts don't have.)

Here's how Fernsehmüll describes these scripts:

###Navigate

Reverse_Play_Shuttle_(J): Move cursor backwards, press multiple times to increase speed
Reverse_Play_Shuttle_Background: Background function used by Reverse_Play_Shuttle_(J) (don't rename this file!)
Pause_(K): Pause
Forward_Play_Shuttle_(L): Play forwards, press multiple times to increase speed

And these are the notes:

##Installation Copy the .lua files to your Reaper scripts directory or any other directory you like. In Reaper choose Actions/Show actions list... Press the "Load..." button on the lower right side. Select all of the fernsehmuell_ scripts and press Open/Enter. You can find the scripts in the action list under: Script: fernsehmuell_... Now assign Keyboardshortcuts to each script ("Add..." button) The recommended key is the letter in () at the end of the filename. If you have problems using the Reverse_Play_Shuttle_(J) script or renamed the background-script, then you have to edit the script and insert the new command_id. If you use the Forward_Play_Shuttle_(L) for the first time a "ReaScript task control" window pops up. Check the checkbox and press "New instance"

So - with my lack of education in this, it SEEMS it's a easy fix, but I really have no idea where to even start!
Old 02-16-2018, 10:13 PM   #4
Meo-Ada Mespotine

What do you mean by "BUT the J key doesn't quite do what it's supposed to."?

Does it do anything at all? If yes, what does it exactly?
Doesn't it do anything? Is there an error-message appearing?
Which of his scripts did you try to use (the exact scriptname)?
Meo-Ada Mespotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 02:49 AM   #5
jesus4c

Quote:
Originally Posted by mespotine View Post
What do you mean by "BUT the J key doesn't quite do what it's supposed to."?

Does it do anything at all? If yes, what does it exactly?
Doesn't it do anything? Is there an error-message appearing?
Which of his scripts did you try to use (the exact scriptname)?
I've mapped the J key to Script:fernsehmuell_Reverse_Play_Shuttle_(J).lua, but it ends up doing nothing at all. No error messages or anything.

I've mapped the L key to Script:fernsehmuell_Forward_Play_Shuttle_(L).lua and it works perfectly, and

I've mapped the K key to Script:fernsehmuell_Pause_(K).lua and it works perfectly as well.

Without having any idea what I was doing, I also tried mapping the J key to Script:fernsehmuell_Reverse_Play_Shuttle_Backgroun d.lua - now this sort of worked, but did not increase the speed in reverse each time the J key was pressed. It remained at 100% in reverse. Also, the audio was very disjointed instead of it playing smoothly in reverse.

These are the only fernsehmuell scripts I've tried.
Old 02-17-2018, 03:48 AM   #6
fernsehmuell

Hello everyone,

here's a step by step guide to change the background script:

1. Menu-> Actions -> Show action list
2. find the "Script: fernsehmuell_Reverse_Play_Shuttle_Background.lua" entry and right click and choose "copy selected action command ID". You have just copied the ID to the clipboard.
3. find the "Script: fernsehmuell_Reverse_Play_Shuttle_(J).lua" and press the "Edit..." button.
4. A text editor opens. Navigate to line 14 and replace the ID with the string in your clipboard.

I hope that helps. I try to update the script in the next version, so that this happens automatically, but right now you have to put the right ID in the script by yourself.

regards,
fernsehmuell
fernsehmuell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 04:02 AM   #7
jesus4c

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernsehmuell View Post
Hello everyone,

here's a step by step guide to change the background script:

1. Menu-> Actions -> Show action list
2. find the "Script: fernsehmuell_Reverse_Play_Shuttle_Background.lua" entry and right click and choose "copy selected action command ID". You have just copied the ID to the clipboard.
3. find the "Script: fernsehmuell_Reverse_Play_Shuttle_(J).lua" and press the "Edit..." button.
4. A text editor opens. Navigate to line 14 and replace the ID with the string in your clipboard.

I hope that helps. I try to update the script in the next version, so that this happens automatically, but right now you have to put the right ID in the script by yourself.

regards,
fernsehmuell
Hi fernsehmuell!

At the moment, line 14 has this text:
reverse_function=reaper.NamedCommandLookup("_RS100 d49e6edef43afecc4b9eed38775eb8c5aefde") -- fernsehmuell_Reverse_Play_Shuttle

Is it the entire line I replace with the string in the clipboard, or just part of it?
Old 02-17-2018, 04:16 AM   #8
rstockm

Just the long hash-ID.
rstockm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 04:53 AM   #9
jesus4c

Done, and fixed!! And all working as expected!

Thank you everyone for your help and thank you especially fernsehmuell, for writing this script that will certainly make my workflow so much quicker!!