Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 02-20-2018, 07:37 PM   #1
DeviantSoul9
Human being with feelings

Default Audio outside of DAW is distorted/robotic

Please help, I have looked for days on end trying to find a solution and have tried everything that I have read to be the "solution". I just bought the Focusrite 2i2 and i am using that with Reaper. I have followed start up and install for both parties (Focusrite/reaper). Now when i route my audio through the interface i.e. set default playback/recording device to 2i2 as well as through reaper it seems to be doing the job. Anytime I use audio outside of reaper it just sounds like garbage! Youtube, itunes, WMP, anything with audio it happens. Now i have tried adjusting buffer and frequencies through ASIO controller but it doesn't help. I am about ready to tear my hair out. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!

Edit:
Dell Inspiron laptop Intel corei7
8gb ram
Windows 10
Hyperx Cloud headphones (temporary, also multiple headphones have same effect)

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd GEN)

Last edited by DeviantSoul9; 02-20-2018 at 08:30 PM.
DeviantSoul9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:53 PM   #2
Icchan

State your full hardware and software specs first when asking for help.
Otherwise everyone'as just shooting in darkness...

Please?
Icchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 02:54 AM   #3
BigFella

Hi DS9, and welcome.

To clarify - you're recording and mixing in Reaper ok but your rendered files are misbehaving. Is that correct?
Old 02-21-2018, 04:07 AM   #4
solger

Quote:
Anytime I use audio outside of reaper it just sounds like garbage! Youtube, itunes, WMP, anything with audio it happens.
If Reaper is still open/running in the background in this case, make sure that you are using the same sample rate (for the Scarlett) in both Reaper and the Windows Sound Control Panel:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...a8da0c2?auth=1

In addition, have a look at the audio optimization tips here: https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-...-on-Windows-10

Last edited by solger; 02-21-2018 at 04:15 AM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 09:40 AM   #5
DeviantSoul9

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
If Reaper is still open/running in the background in this case, make sure that you are using the same sample rate (for the Scarlett) in both Reaper and the Windows Sound Control Panel:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...a8da0c2?auth=1

In addition, have a look at the audio optimization tips here: https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-...-on-Windows-10
It happens when reaper is open as well as when it is not open. With no programs open i will just open Youtube and the audio does the same

I have followed all of those steps and still no change :/
Old 02-21-2018, 09:41 AM   #6
DeviantSoul9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFella View Post
Hi DS9, and welcome.

To clarify - you're recording and mixing in Reaper ok but your rendered files are misbehaving. Is that correct?
I'm not too certain of what you mean by rendered files. Just any audio other than DAW audio is distorted and robotic
Old 02-21-2018, 10:02 AM   #7
solger

Do you already have the latest driver for the 2i2 (2nd gen) installed? http://us.focusrite.com/downloads?product=Scarlett+2i2

Otherwise some additional things to check:

- Have you already tried to connect the 2i2 to a different USB port?
- Does disconnecting and reconnecting the 2i2 make any difference?
- And just in case: have you already tried to reboot your laptop?

Last edited by solger; 02-21-2018 at 10:09 AM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 10:35 AM   #8
DeviantSoul9

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
Do you already have the latest driver for the 2i2 (2nd gen) installed? http://us.focusrite.com/downloads?product=Scarlett+2i2

Otherwise some additional things to check:

- Have you already tried to connect the 2i2 to a different USB port?
- Does disconnecting and reconnecting the 2i2 make any difference?
- And just in case: have you already tried to reboot your laptop?
I have done all of that. One conclusion I'm coming to has to do with the USB port. On the Safety Instructions for the 2i2 the last line says that it must only be connected to USB 2.0 ports. I only have 3.0 ports on my laptop. I know it should be backwards compatible but I have seen a lot online that is not always the case
Old 02-21-2018, 11:07 AM   #9
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeviantSoul9 View Post
Please help, I have looked for days on end trying to find a solution and have tried everything that I have read to be the "solution". I just bought the Focusrite 2i2 and i am using that with Reaper. I have followed start up and install for both parties (Focusrite/reaper). Now when i route my audio through the interface i.e. set default playback/recording device to 2i2 as well as through reaper it seems to be doing the job. Anytime I use audio outside of reaper it just sounds like garbage! Youtube, itunes, WMP, anything with audio it happens. Now i have tried adjusting buffer and frequencies through ASIO controller but it doesn't help. I am about ready to tear my hair out. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!

Edit:
Dell Inspiron laptop Intel corei7
8gb ram
Windows 10
Hyperx Cloud headphones (temporary, also multiple headphones have same effect)

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd GEN)
That sounds like your OS audio is set to a different sample rate than the hardware (the Focusrite) and is doing a poor job of sample rate conversion on the fly (more in not keeping up and having constant dropouts than a critique on the potential conversion quality).

Check what sample rate you have everything running at and that your master clock settings are intentional.

FYI, you typically need to close and reopen apps like media players and browsers that use OS audio after switching settings in your OS audio control panel.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:52 PM   #10
DeviantSoul9

Default PROBLEM SOLVED

So I figured out what the issue was...... Total noob mistake. I have gaming headphones (hyperx Clouds) the cable coming from the headphones connects into another cable that splits in the mic and headset jacks (pink and green) you use those to plug into your computer. Well i was just using the initial cable (TRRS) to plug into the headphone adapter to go into the interface. Instead of plugging in the initial cable into the splitter cable and using the headphone jack (green jack) to plug into the interface..... Yeah I know stupid mistake but at least I know what caused this problem and fixed it. Maybe this will help some other noob out one day.