Old 12-14-2017, 09:33 AM   #1
Arnar
Human being with feelings

Default Plugin loading problems.

Just installed 5.7 and now it cannot load some of my plugins from the X86 folder. I can find them in the plugin folder but cannot load them ?

Any thoughts?
Arnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 10:32 AM   #2
Arnar

This is strange , it will not load a few plugin ,correct folder set etc.
Massive , it will not load no matter if i install it again ?
Old 12-14-2017, 11:27 AM   #3
jaimun

Default plugins gone

Here too!
jaimun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 08:01 PM   #4
Dezb1

I have a very old plugin (Opcode vinyl DX) that I love, it worked fine up until the 5.7 upgrade now it crashes Reaper at start-up.
Dezb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 01:41 AM   #5
ivansc

Interesting - . Unfortunately I own just one U-he plug and don't own massive.

My re-scan threw up zero problems and nothing disappeared.
Old 12-17-2017, 03:33 PM   #6
srdmusic

Don't load 32bit plugins. Anything in the x86 folder is likely a 32bit plugin. It's almost 2018 which means your 32-bit plugins are likely really old versions and have been updated to 64bit by now. There really isn't a solid reason to not be on 64bit Reaper with all 64bit plugins.
srdmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 04:00 PM   #7
DarkStar

^^^^
Except for those plug-ins which do not have a 64-bit edition.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:48 AM   #8
srdmusic

Hi Dark Star. You're right. There really isn't a whole lot of plugins that are still 32-Bit only. If they are 32-Bit only it's likely that those plugins are very old and could have the potential to cause crashes because they are so out of date from whatever OS the user is running.

It's a toss up. Does the use want to crash or does the user want to load 32bit plugins. My personal opinion is that I always choose stability over a single plugin that probably has a better alternative out there.

There are options to run those plugins in 'buggy plugin mode' but slower load times for any plugins running in that mode.
srdmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 05:02 AM   #9
jaimun

I wat to use my plugins.
They were working on previous version.
Same 32 bits Reaper, same 32 bits Win7.

I'm rolling back, maybe never upgrade Reaper anymore.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:51 AM   #10
ivansc

Jaimund - good idea if those plugs are that important. It is all about what works and keeps you making music.
Old 12-20-2017, 02:36 AM   #11
jaimun

But.
I teach media art and digital stuff in a fine arts faculty.

I am telling my students the best choice is Reaper.

Some fellow musicians have switched to Reaper because of my advice.

This is how Reaper has grown up: confidence, trust, love from its users.

So please fix the plugin loading problem, so we can all keep this going together.
Old 12-20-2017, 02:47 AM   #12
ivansc

On the other hand, pretty much every computer out there has been on a 64bit OS for a long time and 99% of current applications are 64bit, so maybe you should consider that your students will likely be fine.

In so many cases these older plugins, especially the 32 bit ones, are broken because of shortcomings in the original code, not because there is something wrong with Reaper.... in my experience most of them are just as broken in other DAW software too.
This is of course exacerbated by the original developer deciding not to issue a 64bit version BECAUSE the code is broken under any modern OS. A case in point is all those excellent Synthedit plugins that either died or were severely maimed a few OS upgrades ago.
(grin) You cant stop the march of progress!
Old 12-20-2017, 05:25 AM   #13
kenz

Another legitimate bug report drowned into a sea of nonsense by the same people who always find the need to wag their fashionista statements about 32-bit vs 64-bit. Haven't been here in a while and still see this kind of crap around here, seriously do you have nothing better to do than rain on others' parade?

This is a bug report about a regression in Reaper, a legitimate one in fact, not a thread asking for your opinion of 32-bit or old plugins. Seriously why do you always feel the need to shove it in every thread like this? If you hate old plugins or 32-bit so much then simply ignore these threads, is that so hard? Some of us don't see technology as a fashion and are not interested in such babble.

Imagine if everyone started posting their crap how they don't need X feature or Y in a thread about X, as if anyone in that thread cares about that opinion (nobody forces you to use it etc).

"progress" doesn't mean discarding things that worked, or wasting unnecessary memory and poorer cache utilization depending on situation (pointless double pointer sizes and stack args when you don't need it), because MS x64 wastes a lot of redundant hot cache on the stack (even for parameters passed in registers) and of course more RAM usage which leads to more inefficiency in certain cases. "progress" means superior performance or lite, while stuff you had still works, perhaps even faster and leaner.

Also, nothing wrong with old plugins that worked just fine or even picking a 32-bit version if it works fine. Sometimes software doesn't get updated because it was in a finished state. It's not like it was left hanging in a half-arsed state when it worked. It was complete, so there should be no need for an update, because it works, period! This is not Crapple world.

But see, this is now turning more into an opinion fest when this was a bug report, so I'll just keep it at that, cause I'm sick of it. Unless the thread specifically asks for an opinion, please stop posting this nonsense in every subject you "dislike", and keep it to yourself.

This ought to be fixed since it's a regression in Reaper. On the same configuration it crashes even on 32-bit OS. Ergo what's all this nonsense for exactly?
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 10:24 AM   #14
ivansc

...because in 99.9 percent of cases that I have seen, the answer inevitably leads back to operator error or buggy plugins. Now you may not see it that way and that is your prerogative, but in my world I try to offer troubleshooting methods to eliminate all possibilities.
YES there may well be an underlying problem here, but rather than rant about it without offering possible areas to explore, and getting all bitter and twisted with those of us who ARE actually trying to eliminate potential problems, why don't you climb down off your soapbox and see if you can suggest ways to establish exactly what is and isn't happening?

Mods: Sorry if this is seen as a flame, it is not intended to be any more than I think the post from Kenz is really. I can understand the frustration here but starting a fight about it solves nothing.
Old 12-20-2017, 02:51 PM   #15
Arnar

I just set up my computer again , still having problems.
Trying to make sense of this .
Cannot get Audiorealism ABL to load ?
Tried as a 64 bit plugin and 32 bit.

I think it is fair to say that something is wrong.
Also Massive and my NI plugins will not load the 64 bit versions unless I delete the 32 bit versions.
No such luck with the Audiorealism abl.
Wanted to test the demo, planning to buy it .

Last edited by Arnar; 12-20-2017 at 03:03 PM.
Old 12-20-2017, 03:05 PM   #16
ivansc

O.K.
First off, could you copy, paste & saveas a txt file your plugin path window contents and upload it here?
That will quickly eliminate anything that you have in the wrong order (32 bit folder vs 64 bit folder) as the cause.
I have ABL and from memory I am pretty sure it has its own separate "special" folder defined by the plugin when it installs. Cant look at the moment because I am away from the studio machine where it lives.
Maybe look for a folder called Audiorealism in C:\Program Files or C\Program File (x86) for it and assuming the .dll file is in that folder point Reaper there. Should scan OK after that.

Particularly with the NI stuff I am more and more coming round to the idea that your particular problem is related to the order you have the folders listed in your plugin window.
Lets hope I am right!

Just for grins here is mine.

C:\Program Files (x86)\VSTPlugIns;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\VST3;C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST2;C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3;C:\Program Files\Scuffham Amps\S-Gear2;C:\Program Files\Toontrack;C:\Program Files\VstPlugins;C:\Program Files\Solid State Logic;

Please note that the x86 or 32bit file directories are scanned first so that if reaper finds the 64bit file directory last it will choose that folder over the 32 bit one.
Old 12-20-2017, 04:27 PM   #17
jaimun

Yes, I don't understand your attitude, Ivansc.
We are just surprised by a sudden bug.
Many old plugins can't be updated because their developers have died, as is the case of HGfortune. I love these plugins, they are old and buggy but they are unique, and I intend to use them in the future. I'm happy I bought them from the developer while he was alive.
Reaper is our tool, and we just want to keep using it.
Old 12-21-2017, 03:03 AM   #18
ivansc

jaimund. And I dont understand YOUR attitude! I am trying to help here - if you look back you will see that I have already said that your best bet might be just to stick to a version of your OS and Reaper that works with your plugins.

(quoting me) Jaimund - good idea if those plugs are that important. It is all about what works and keeps you making music.

What you don't seem to get is that if indeed this is an issue between Reaper and those older plugins which it does appear to be in your case, Cockos have already said there isn't much they can do to change Reaper to accommodate old broken (as far as modern OS and modern Reaper is concerned) software.
So maybe for you the alternative is to regress to a version of Reaper where all the plugins start working again?

Also, could at least ONE of you post your vst folder paths like I did? Either that or tell me to buzz off and leave you alone in your misery. One way or the other, I don't really mind.
Old 12-22-2017, 06:37 AM   #19
Arnar

here is my path.
C:\Program Files (x86)\VSTPlugins;C:\Program Files\VSTplugins;C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3;C:\Program Files\FXpansion\Geist2
Old 12-22-2017, 06:57 AM   #20
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnar View Post
Also Massive and my NI plugins will not load the 64 bit versions unless I delete the 32 bit versions.
Just an FYI that you want 32 bit and 64 bit plugins in separate folders, then in your VST path in reaper, place the 64 bit path last in the list and Reaper will then favor 64 bit when both exist.
Old 12-22-2017, 09:29 AM   #21
ivansc

Looks like he already did, Karbo.

ArnAR: One more thing to check. In the standalone version of Kontakt, what path is showing for the location of your stuff?
Since your list looks fine for 64 bit priority, it might well be that you dont have the full path to Kontakt installed?
In the top row of icons in Kontakt you will see what looks like a gear wheel. Click on it and it will show you where Kontakt has actually installed ALL the files.
Old 12-22-2017, 09:48 AM   #22
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Looks like he already did, Karbo.
Yea, it certainly looks like it but the resulting behavior doesn't agree, those paths are sort of defaults, so there is no guarantee the right ones went into the right directories as they were installed.
Old 12-22-2017, 12:39 PM   #23
ivansc

True.

Very curious to see where Kontakt is actually pointing. Fortunately that is one plugin (like the Toontrack stuff) where the *actual* plugin path according to the plug itself can be verified & compared with where Reaper has been pointed..
Old 12-22-2017, 02:13 PM   #24
Arnar

I just set up my computer again , after that I had that Massive problem so I just removed the 32 bit version , but before I set up my PC again I was having problems with 32 bit plugins that did not have a 64 bit counterpart.
Old 12-22-2017, 11:41 PM   #25
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
Except for those plug-ins which do not have a 64-bit edition.
Does the 32 Bit Bridge not work decently any more with newer versions of Reaper ?
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 01:22 AM   #26
ivansc

I still have NIs venerable B4II which only ever existed in 32 bit plus of course the stuff that goes with my 2 UAD1 cards, also all 32 bit only. No issues at all with bridging on any of them or the odd 32bit plugs I either install accidentally or audition briefly for betas.
This is another one of those "I wish I could teleport myself to their houses" cases, isnt it?

Arnar: Did you do what I suggested re the paths in Kontakt? I dont have Massive so I dont know if you can do the same thing but it would be worth looking.
Old 12-24-2017, 07:35 PM   #27
Dezb1

Still no word on a fix for this problem? It's obviously something in the 5.7 build as we were all fine before hand.
Old 12-24-2017, 10:28 PM   #28
mschnell

Regarding DX-plugins: (other than with VST) Reaper does not feature a 64 Bit <-> 32 Bit bridge for those. So old DX plugins can't be used with 64 Bit Reaper.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 02:45 AM   #29
ivansc

What I cant get my head around is that out of all the people on this forum using reaper you three are the only ones reporting this problem. Just to get things straight in my head, are all three of you on Windows XP & if so are you all on 32bit version and 32bit version of reaper?
I am trying to narrow down the similarities (if any) involved here.
And FWIW I never ever rule out the possibility of a Reaper bug, just that there needs to be a fair bit more fact inding done before we can arrive at a conclusion one way or the other and start looking for a solution.
Yet another one of those times I wish I could be a fly on the wall at your houses. Would be so much easier.
P.S. Happy Holidays
Old 12-25-2017, 04:54 AM   #30
Arnar

I am on Win 10 .
After setting the computer up again I only seem to have problems with this one ABL plugin, so far , but I have not set up all my plugins yet.

I have not been having problems with Kontakt , I was having problems with NI Massive.
Old 12-25-2017, 10:44 AM   #31
Dezb1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Regarding DX-plugins: (other than with VST) Reaper does not feature a 64 Bit <-> 32 Bit bridge for those. So old DX plugins can't be used with 64 Bit Reaper.

-Michael

I'm on 32 bit Reaper with a 32 bit plugin
Old 12-25-2017, 02:57 PM   #32
ivansc

O.K.
@Amar: All my Amplesound stuff is located in an Amplesound folder in C:Program files, including the .dll file for ABP and AGP.
Might be worth checking to see where yours are installed and if they are actually being scanned by Reaper. That Amplesound folder contains a LOT of information necessary for the plug(s) to run.
Unfortunately I dont have Massive so cant really help you on that one. Did you check to see if there is the path information in its settings like there is in Kontakt?
Old 12-25-2017, 03:00 PM   #33
ivansc

Michael: FWIW I have all my Cakewalk DX stuff scanned into 64 bit realer in 64bit Windows and they now work! Just put their horrible auto-wah on a guitar track to check
Old 12-25-2017, 07:50 PM   #34
amagalma

After upgrading to v5.70 and having cleared the cache and having rescanned, I am missing some plugins too..

Win 7 x64, Reaper x86
Old 12-26-2017, 08:43 PM   #35
Dezb1

I'm on Windows 7, trying to run an ancient DX plugin (Opcode vinyl) on 32 bit Reaper it worked in previous versions of reaper but since the 5.7 update it crashes Reaper when I insert the plugin.
Old 12-27-2017, 03:06 AM   #36
ivansc

Debz1: Have a look here - looks like you are far from the only one with issues with this plug. At least the thread offers what looks like viable alternatives that work in a modern OS.
Old 12-27-2017, 06:41 PM   #37
Dezb1

Quote:
Debz1: Have a look here - looks like you are far from the only one with issues with this plug. At least the thread offers what looks like viable alternatives that work in a modern OS.
Cheers... where am I looking?
Old 12-28-2017, 03:01 AM   #38
ivansc

Sorry - Old Personitis and Xmas - I forgot to paste the link.
Real busy right now but I just googled on general issues the same and found aload of people with iother DAWs having the same problems.
Not sure if this is a pointer toward a solution or not at this stage. Mode after NYE gig when I have time to sit down and concentrate. Sorry!

OK - just went and googled pcode vinyl. A bunch of threads from various places including vi-forums gearslutz PT forums etc all saying thast opcode vinyl is no longer usable. Bummer, but it does seem to indicate where the problem lies.

Last edited by ivansc; 12-28-2017 at 03:09 AM.
ivansc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 02:37 PM   #39
Dezb1

Quote:
Sorry - Old Personitis and Xmas - I forgot to paste the link.
Real busy right now but I just googled on general issues the same and found aload of people with iother DAWs having the same problems.
Not sure if this is a pointer toward a solution or not at this stage. Mode after NYE gig when I have time to sit down and concentrate. Sorry!

OK - just went and googled pcode vinyl. A bunch of threads from various places including vi-forums gearslutz PT forums etc all saying thast opcode vinyl is no longer usable. Bummer, but it does seem to indicate where the problem lies.

It does apart from the fact it worked perfectly in Reaper before the 5.7 update.