Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 12-29-2013, 06:17 PM   #1
tomkiely_
Human being with feelings

Default New Mac user who's just acquired Reaper..

Hey all!

I just switched over to Mac after 5 years on Windows! I'm still adjusting to a lot of the little things but for the most part it's been a smooth transition.
I was pretty decent at using Mixcraft (my DAW of choice, and a windows-only application) before switching, and Reaper looks like the way to go thus far on Mac.

I'm just having trouble with the MIDI side of things. If I insert a MIDI drum track thats already done and ready to go, I can't seem to get any sound to play through reaper. Really not sure what I'm doing wrong - am looking into a few tutorials to see if I can suss it out. On mixcraft, I could assign different VST's to the instruments and it'd play based on the sound of the VST. Was wondering if Reaper has anything similar?
(For the record - I'm also using Slate Trigger 2 to try and assign each drum Midi roll a specific sound, no luck so far it's only playing with WAV sounds! but to get it to trigger the midi sounds I need it to at least be able to mix the midi track down to sound like something! All I'm getting is blank noise haha)

Sorry if this is a really newbie sort of question, I know it probably is.

For what it's worth the rest of it is working very nicely, guitar tones are running through beautifully and the built in fx seem to be working a treat.

Thanks all!
tomkiely_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:45 AM   #2
TimOBrien

mac midi and vst's work the same as windows midi and vsts.

you've either got something not installed properly or not configured properly.

I made the switch last year and have had no problems.

you're kind vague about whats going on... suggest you look over the manual at the midi and fx sections.

a midi track has to have a midi generator/effect on it to make noise and the channel settings have to be right (if the vst is only listening on channel 10 and the track is transmitting on channel 1, nothing will come out...)
Old 12-30-2013, 11:41 AM   #3
selectedpixels

Default Similar Situation

I'm also a newbie in a similar situation. I just got a Macbook Pro for Christmas (thanks wife!), which is running 10.9.2. (maybe that's a problem in itself???)

Anyway I have an M-Audio keyboard connected to an iRig Pro, which in turn is connected to the Mac (running Reaper). I'm new to all of this equipment and software.

I'm able to add a track, select the midi input from the iRig Pro, arm the track, play on the keyboard and get data (notes) showing on the track display. However, when I rewind and try to play the track back I can't hear anything. (I also don't hear anything during recording even though I have monitoring turned on.)

So it appears data is getting to the track but I can't get it out. Hotel California......

A couple of things I noticed or think I've learned: the newer macs don't have a midi out capability? This seems to make sense since the iRig Pro doesn't show up in the output portion of the midi screen. Is that why monitoring doesn't work? (probably a really newbie Q)

Tim: I'm not sure I understand:

"a midi track has to have a midi generator/effect on it to make noise"

Can you elaborate?

Any other suggestions?
selectedpixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:42 PM   #4
TimOBrien

midi has no noise; it's just a stream of 1's and 0s.... just performance data saying 'note 126 on, volume 100, note 126 off'.

Something (vst or au) that makes noise from the numbers has to be in the FX slot.

as for 'new macs not having midi out' you have to have an audio interface with a midi port or a usb midi interface on the mac.
I use the midi on my Motu828mkII and a MidisportUSB 2x2; it makes no difference.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:36 AM   #5
moondoggie53

Default virtual piano roll

"
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimOBrien View Post
mac midi and vst's work the same as windows midi and vsts.

a midi track has to have a midi generator/effect on it to make noise and the channel settings have to be right (if the vst is only listening on channel 10 and the track is transmitting on channel 1, nothing will come out...)
"

So the virtual keyboard doesn't actually assign values to notes it creates?

Just trying to understand.... Thanx in advance. Cal
moondoggie53 is offline   Reply With Quote