Old 04-26-2021, 10:42 AM   #1
Jensus
Human being with feelings

Default Ambisonic export settings

Hi, I have viewed different online tutorials on how to set the renderer in Reaper for a ambisonic mixdown. I am an ambisonic visitor from Logic land, and have found out Reaper is a very intelligent piece of software, which can detect and create the right track when you drag a file into it. However, how can it know what type of ambisonic file I will create during rendering? And what is the rendering now? Fx. B-format, Ambix, ACN, SN3D? Can I set it my self?
If this has answered before please direct my in the right direction.
Best Jens
Jensus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 11:39 AM   #2
Kewl

Reaper doesn't know anything about the file you're rendering. So, you have to know.

How to know? It will be set by the plug-ins you're using to make your ambisonic production. Most plug-ins now are "ambiX" (ACN channel sequence, SN3D channel normalization).

Aalto plug-ins = ambiX
Blue Ripple Sound = ambiX
IEM plug-ins = ambiX
Kronlachner plug-ins = ambiX

Ambisonic Toolkit for REAPER = FuMa
Kewl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 05:48 PM   #3
Jensus

Kewl, thanks a lot for your reply. It just seems a bit backwards imo.
I have fx just made a render consisting of two 1. order ambisonic tracks. On the first I used ATK Transform Dominate. On the second I used the o3a Classic panner and I didn't have any fx/decoders on the master track. What will the result be here? Wouldn't it be easier to set the preferred format during the rendering proces? Otherwise I guess I have to be consistent in using plugins from providers who support the same format..
Old 04-26-2021, 07:07 PM   #4
Kewl

Well, you will end up with a B-Format mix of FuMa and ambiX and the most damageable part is the different channel sequence (WXYZ for FuMa and WYZX for ambiX).

You can certainly mix FuMa and ambiX plug-ins, but at some point before the master output, you'll have to convert the FuMa stream to ambiX (or vice versa). For exemple, all your FuMa tracks could be sent to a sub-master where a FuMa to ambiX conversion plug-in would be used.
Old 04-27-2021, 05:42 AM   #5
Jensus

Ok Kewl, thanks I will try to get into this workflow. It isn't self explanatory though, and would be nice if Reaper would provide you with a clear description of what it is rendering imo. Best Jens.
Old 04-27-2021, 06:36 AM   #6
Kewl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jensus View Post
Ok Kewl, thanks I will try to get into this workflow. It isn't self explanatory though, and would be nice if Reaper would provide you with a clear description of what it is rendering imo. Best Jens.
Well, I don't think it should be a Reaper "responsibility".

Reaper has the most flexible bussing architecture of all the DAWs I use/tried (Pro Tools Ultimate, Nuendo, Logic Pro). That flexibility comes with a price for the user: he must know what he's doing.

All Reaper does is DSPing and rendering the result. It is fairly the same with the other DAWs. I've seen people rendering stereo in a 5.1 master bus and none of the DAWs are preventing them from doing so. Same goes for ambisonics.