Default Toontrack EZmix

Really?!?!

http://www.toontrack.com/products.asp?item=69

I dunno about this....
Burnt321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 06:24 PM   #2
Drugs
Human being with feelings

It doesn't seem too bad, but it's not worth $70 to me. I will just build my own fx chains/presets in Reaper for free.
Now if it would let you go in and tweak the built fx individually for advanced users and cost closer to $30 then I might consider it.

But... it does do what they designed it for, which is a fast and quick way to audition how a certain mix will sound like without all the hassle of setting up tons of chains yourself. I just don't like how it's tweaking is limited. Because of that it seems it would be more of a headache to even use it. It seems very likely that you would get a sound that you kinda like but needs a bit of tweaking. You then would end up trying to make a fx chain to get the sound you want. It's seems like a huge waste of time.

Although the presets might actually be good. Who knows it could be chromed out with all the sounds your looking for. From a good bit of experience most products presets aren't that good, but considering this is a product that is basically like presets then they might have put in the effort to do 'em up right.

I'm a little divided on it.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:30 PM   #3
Wolffman

Hmmm, i just watched the demo vid and i think this would be a usefull tool for a person who is more musician than engineer/producer, i know i have friends like that, they can really play but have absoultely no interest at all in learning how to use a compressor or EQ etc in a mixing enviornment.

So for people just doing quick demos of there songs this would be usefull in getting a better finished demo, i think.

certainly not for everyone though.

Cheers

https://soundcloud.com/wolffman7
Wolffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:35 PM   #4
larrygates

Exactly, I'd use it myself as I'm hammering out demos and ruffs for artists. No one wants to spend their hard earn time tweaking shit for no reason.

Enter Waves signature series, which this toontrack thing seems to be VERY similar to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolffman View Post
Hmmm, i just watched the demo vid and i think this would be a usefull tool for a person who is more musician than engineer/producer, i know i have friends like that, they can really play but have absoultely no interest at all in learning how to use a compressor or EQ etc in a mixing enviornment.

So for people just doing quick demos of there songs this would be usefull in getting a better finished demo, i think.

certainly not for everyone though.

Cheers
larrygates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 11:05 PM   #5
chrisharbin

I want to know if it actually works with reaper (x64) and what the cpu usage is.

I have no issues with doing things the "old fashioned" way but there are some aspects of it that are really good. If you can add multiple instances without it raping the cpu it could simply be a very nice addition.

I don't think 70 bucks is too bad.
chrisharbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 11:35 PM   #6
Mercado_Negro

It looks like a nice and useful tool for those who are not interested in learning how to mix or need to get 'results' fast (whatever it might be). Saying that, I won't use something like this, it's just not for me I guess.

Good luck with their sales, Toontrack seems to be a nice company.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:43 PM   #7
chrisharbin

See, I'm really surprised by how many think it's just about "taking the easy" way out. I'd think it's just another tool to get from a to b.

I guess I'm in the minority (seeing from all the threads seem to have similar views)
Old 04-16-2010, 12:08 AM   #8
RussUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisharbin View Post
See, I'm really surprised by how many think it's just about "taking the easy" way out. I'd think it's just another tool to get from a to b.

I guess I'm in the minority (seeing from all the threads seem to have similar views)
It's the $5 mix the recent poster was looking for!
Old 04-16-2010, 04:40 AM   #9
Burnt321

Quote:

I'm primarily a songwriter and it's intriguing to me. See, I'm all for the easy way out, but how well will this work with multiple instances? Will it compensate EQ between the bass track and guitar tracks? Does it low-pass the kick drum? I've spent years learning through trial and error, and I've learned there's way more to it than "click this and it will work".

But on the other hand, maybe it's just been ingrained in my mind that there isn't an easy way out. Maybe it'll speed up my mixes, so I can concentrate on writing more songs. I'm TORN! I don't think $70 is that bad...if it works.

Last edited by Burnt321; 04-16-2010 at 04:50 AM.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:57 AM   #10
susbemol

People keep on asking for the "make me sound good" plugin". This is Toontrack's attempt!
susbemol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:39 AM   #11
Drugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt321 View Post
I'm TORN! I don't think $70 is that bad...if it works.
Yeah if it works then it would be awesome. And of coarse the best part is how fast you can demo the sound. In that aspect it's perfect. You can go through quickly and decide what direction you want to go with the audio, without trying to build every possibility from scratch.

It would be worth it to me if it allowed for deeper editing into the presets/fx to finish dialing in the sound. There is just so many variables that go in to a recording that I'm sure it wont always be able to get you all the way there. Another draw back from being limited in this way is that you wont be able to make your own presets or download other user submitted patches. Look at Guitar rig for example, some of the best sounds you get from it are from user submitted patches.

I too am curious about the computer load with this thing. Does it run at a constant CPU load or change dependent on the preset loaded?

Hopefully someone here will pick it up and give a full unbiased review. I'm very interested in learning some more about it.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:44 AM   #12
chrisharbin

I always thought it looked like breverb or TH1.........I had no idea it was an overloud collab....
Old 04-16-2010, 11:05 AM   #13
ugh

I could imagine using this for scratching up some ideas to have a quick listen to them while they are in progress.
But I already have FX-Chains for this in Reaper. Other people might not have done that, so there is surely a market for it.

I would however not use this thing in a final production, simply as with those three sliders, I cannot see that one has much control about what is going on.
ugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:47 AM   #14
brainwreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussUK View Post
It's the $5 mix the recent poster was looking for!
yea, the cost of his first album worth of mixes would pay for it, lol.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:28 PM   #15
NAS

Looks to be one of the best ideas in VST plugins for a long while
Hope they put out a demo version soon so i can check it out

NAS
Old 04-16-2010, 08:15 PM   #16
chrisharbin

They said straight from the horses mouth........NO DEMO.

Sorry, rogue said it, I'm just the messenger.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:48 PM   #17
Drugs

Quote:

That sucks cuz something new like this really needs a demo.
I wonder why companies don't have demo's. Who really wants to buy something blindly. If it wasn't for the ability to demo Revalver, I would have never purchased it.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:02 PM   #18
chrisharbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drugs View Post
That sucks cuz something new like this really needs a demo.
I wonder why companies don't have demo's. Who really wants to buy something blindly. If it wasn't for the ability to demo Revalver, I would have never purchased it.
sadly, I'll probably buy it blindly :lol:
Old 04-17-2010, 08:29 AM   #19
NAS

Quote:

What a complete bunch of stupid crapola
I am going to guess they will lose so many customers who are on the fence about this thing with no demo
Fools

NAS
Old 04-17-2010, 08:29 AM   #20
Burnt321

Quote:
sadly, I'll probably buy it blindly :lol:
I've watched the video a couple more times....and I think I'm in the same boat.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:21 AM   #21
Drugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt321 View Post
I've watched the video a couple more times....and I think I'm in the same boat.
Well let us know how it goes :}

Last edited by Drugs; 04-20-2010 at 06:09 PM.
Drugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:47 AM   #22
chrisharbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAS View Post
What a complete bunch of stupid crapola
I am going to guess they will lose so many customers who are on the fence about this thing with no demo
Fools

NAS
I hear what you are saying. However, I bought ezd, ezpp, superior drummer, and a bunch of expansion packs without demoing.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:53 AM   #23
Burnt321

Quote:
Wel let us know how it goes :}
Will do. Just waiting for my tax check and the cash burning a hole in my pocket.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:54 AM   #24
Burnt321

Quote:
I hear what you are saying. However, I bought ezd, ezpp, superior drummer, and a bunch of expansion packs without demoing.
Also got EZdrummer and DFH w/o demoing, and I'm very happy with it. Pushes me a little more in the direction of just going for it with EZmix.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:25 PM   #25
Smurf

I find this totally interesting....

I mean, everything on the radio sounds the same, so why not save the effort of learning how to sound like everyone else & just drop this on each track!

Seriously, I find this really interesting, and look forward to some reviews from the folks who buy it.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:24 PM   #26
s_sibs

Here's a song that was mixed using EZmix exclusively. Well, I did use a UAD de-esser on the lead vocal (no de-esser in EZmix) and a channel EQ in Cubase on the Vocal Reverb but other than that, this is all EZmix. There is also an EZmix on the mix bus with a limiter and tape simulator. After mixing and before making the mp3 I ran it through a UAD Limiter to add about 2.5 dB of level.

I spent about an hour and a half from start to finish. I did mix this song previously using UAD plugins but, I have to say, this mix sounds great...especially for only an hour and a half.

Let me know what you think.

Hundreds of Days
Rainbow Sounds Recording
s_sibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 12:47 PM   #27
Drugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_sibs View Post
Here's a song that was mixed using EZmix exclusively. Well, I did use a UAD de-esser on the lead vocal (no de-esser in EZmix) and a channel EQ in Cubase on the Vocal Reverb but other than that, this is all EZmix. There is also an EZmix on the mix bus with a limiter and tape simulator. After mixing and before making the mp3 I ran it through a UAD Limiter to add about 2.5 dB of level.

I spent about an hour and a half from start to finish. I did mix this song previously using UAD plugins but, I have to say, this mix sounds great...especially for only an hour and a half.

Let me know what you think.

Hundreds of Days
Cool
but could we have a dry mix and maybe your uad mix for comparison?
Old 04-19-2010, 01:13 PM   #28
Ricky Reject

Im not very experienced when it comes to audio production, so feel free to call me dense here...

I see the plugin has EQ and compressor and reverb, but...am I right in thinking that it only has three sliders (i.e. three values) that are adjustable?
The most basic compressor I use has 6 sliders and my go-to reverb has 15. How do you set threshold, attack and release and in/output?

I mean, presumably this is a "one click and it all sounds sweet"-kind of attempt, but I dont seriously get how this concept is applicable to the wide arrays of music production. Lets just pick a drum track for instance; in my 10 latest projects, Ive used 8 different sets of drum samples / synthesizers. For each instance, I've had to at least tweak compressor, reverb and EQ all differently and accordingly depending on the samples and synths used.

I dont know...maybe I'm just making it hard for myself, but I still dont see how it can be effectively used with such a small amount of parameters that are adjustable. It would be like having a JD-800 with 3 sliders: it still makes cool sounds and you can make it sound shiny or more shiny.

Last edited by Ricky Reject; 04-19-2010 at 01:24 PM.
Ricky Reject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 01:17 PM   #29
chrisharbin

Ah! You are missing the point

If it was "really complex" mix, then it would have all of that but it's not designed that way.

Anyways, I've gotten most of my stuff done that I said I would have to finish before plunking down and getting it. Almost there......
Old 04-19-2010, 01:39 PM   #30
s_sibs

Quote:
Cool
but could we have a dry mix and maybe your uad mix for comparison?
Here's a faders up, dry and only slightly balanced mix:

Hundreds of Days Faders Up Dry Mix
Rainbow Sounds Recording
Old 04-19-2010, 01:53 PM   #31
YoRugMan

Has anyone used PSPaudio Vintage Warmer ?

I'm asking because this thing sounds like it does a similar job - and Vintage Warmer got rave reviews.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:58 PM   #32
ugh

I'm actually pretty impressed by the Mix with EZMix.
Yet it's propably because somebody experienced used it
ugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:17 PM   #33
s_sibs

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoRugMan View Post
Has anyone used PSPaudio Vintage Warmer ?

I'm asking because this thing sounds like it does a similar job - and Vintage Warmer got rave reviews.

I haven't used Vintage Warmer but EZmix isn't a single- or multi-band compressor/limiter like VW.

EZmix is a multi effects plugin that includes the following effects type:

Overloud: A tone enhancer processor which adds warmth and vibrance to the tone by a combination of compression, EQing and harmonic generation.

Parametric EQ: 5-band parametric equalizer for tone shaping of the signal.

LPF (Low pass filter): A low pass filter passes (allows through) low frequencies while attenuating high frequencies.

HPF (High pass filter): A high pass filter passes (allows through) high frequencies while attenuating low frequencies.

Compressor: A compressor is used to reduce the dynamic range of the audio signal, typically with a ratio of 2:1 to 9:1. A compressor ratio of 9:1 means 9dB goes into the compressor and results in 1dB out.

Limiter: Similar to a compressor but with a ratio of 10:1 or higher.
Bit Crusher: Reduces the bit resolution (ex. 16-bit to 8-bit) and simulates a lower sampling rate resulting in a distorted type sound.

Transient: Shapes the signal by exaggerating or attenuating the transient (attack) and the tail (sustain) of the signal.

Frequency Gate: Used to control the level of the audio by only passing signal above the threshold. It is also affected by a HPF or LPF.

Tape Simulator: Simulates the effects of a tape recorder including bias, tape speed, and wow and flutter.

Chorus: Simulates the effect of multiple identical instruments playing the same part (for example, 3 violins playing in unison). It results in a shimmering and thickening effect to the sounds.

Inverse Reverb: Produces a reverb sound that fades into the original sound as opposed to a traditional reverb that fades out.

Hall Reverb: Provides the sound of a ‘Hall’ type acoustical space.

Tape Delay: Produces an echo type effect. Typically a tape delay results in echoes that get increasingly more distorted with each echo.

Filter Delay: Produces an echo effect where the frequency of the echoes can be adjusted. This allows the echoes to react to different frequencies from the original signal.

Distortion: Produces the sound of the input of the audio being clipped which adds an ‘overdrive’ sound. This can add richness or fullness to the sound. In extreme settings distortion can sound ‘thin’ or ‘buzzy’.

These effects are served up in preset form but allows control of some parameter by adjusting 3 faders. These faders have different function for each preset and may, at times, adjust more than one parameter at a time.

As an example, let’s look at what is happening with the Shape fader in the case of the the preset ‘Kick – Basic 1’. This preset is made up of an EQ (actually, 2 different parametric EQs) and a Transient. The Shape fader controls the EQ section. But what is the Shape fader actually doing to the EQ?

As you bring the fader up towards the ‘100’ you will notice a gradual boost in the low end from about 150Hz and below. There are slight dips at about 900Hz and 440Hz, and there is also a significant cut at about 100Hz. All of these changes take place inside the EZmix effect engine and are controlled by using the single Shape fader.
Rainbow Sounds Recording
Old 04-19-2010, 02:46 PM   #34
skipkent

This could lead to a new type of plugin, a 'mix-helper' plugin that helps you use the plugins you already have. Imagine an 'EZ' type mix plugin that first scans your plugins directory to see what you have. It would then offer pre-set chains based on those plugs. You could filter what plugs are selected in various ways, giving some more 'weight' than others in various applications. The complications here are vast, of course, but I could see this happening in fairly short order.
skipkent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 03:00 PM   #35
YoRugMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipkent View Post
This could lead to a new type of plugin, a 'mix-helper' plugin that helps you use the plugins you already have.
....like Xlutop Chainer ?

http://www.xlutop.com/html/chainer.html

Old 04-19-2010, 03:42 PM   #36
chrisharbin

I bought it. Seems to run nice and smooth (virtually no cpu/ram hit) on my system.

I'm already in favor of the LP/HP/ filters. It's really a simple plug.....it is what it is EZ!

Anyways, I'll play with it for a couple of hours and get back to you.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:44 PM   #37
RussUK

Do I have to wear a silly hat when mixing?

My head is really round and I'll look worse than the demo guy in the Wideo.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:18 PM   #38
audioguy_on_ca

Quote:
doing things the "old fashioned" way
like tracking to mix, so that you're 90% done when you bring the faders up? printing effects? committing? working within the "restrictions" with the tools you have?
"We're like geeky and shit: I'm hanging out on a message board about a recording program. It's kinda expected to be all up in arms about something as ridiculously abstract as 24->16 bit dithering..." -RPR usr nickm
audioguy_on_ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 04:24 PM   #39
johnmix

This is pretty cool, sometimes you have that idea of a tone and character you want and have spent hours pluggin in eq after eq, compressor , saturator etc. now you fiddle with the order of each in the chain. Now pop on EZMix and bam, there you go , you may find the tone and character you were looking for, sits well in the mix. Great Stuff!!

JMix
johnmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 04:27 PM   #40
chrisharbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy_on_ca View Post
like tracking to mix, so that you're 90% done when you bring the faders up? printing effects? committing? working within the "restrictions" with the tools you have?
?

I don't understand what you are trying to say. Seems to me that my quote from that post is being taken out of context. I wonder why?