Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 09-23-2011, 01:17 PM   #1
nlamont
Human being with feelings

Default Trying to use Groove Agent with Reaper

Having failed with FL Studio, I now want to try using Groove Agent in any of these ways:
1) as a VSTi, recording audio in Reaper
2) as a VSTi, recording MIDI in Reaper, which I then use to play through Groove Agent
3) as Rewire, recording audio
4) as Rewire, recording MIDI

Groove Agent is set for MIDI Output Live to Host. When I used it as a VSTi in Cubase that was enough for Cubase to record its MIDI.

No matter which of the four ways I try I can hear GA playing, but all Reaper records are blank MIDI or blank audio files.

Has anyone used it successfully? Which way? I really don't mind as long as I can 'play' GA live along to my track and record some kind of result.
nlamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 03:33 PM   #2
bradleyfilms

You're probably recording the input to Groove Agent rather than the output from it (which is what you need).
Right-click the Record button and select whichever output (MIDI or audio) you want.
Steve
Old 09-23-2011, 05:22 PM   #3
bluzkat

Are you using Groove Agent (the older instrument) or are you trying to use Groove Agent One that is included with Cubase??

The older VST version should work in pretty much any host. Groove Agent One on the other hand only works in Cubase in believe.

Old 09-24-2011, 01:17 AM   #4
nlamont

Default Problem solved

It was as Bradleyfilms suggested. I'd no idea you could right click the Record Arm button and find so many options. This might solve some of my other VST problems too. Thanks!!!!

(It's Groove Agent 3, by the way.)

That's two down on my newbie wish list.
nlamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:06 PM   #5
jbegan

Default How to output midi/audio from Groove agent 2 to Reaper

I used to use Cubase, but found it to be an awkward DAW, so after a lot of looking around, settled on Reaper. It's been quite awhile since I used Groove Agent 2, so I had to screw around to figure it out again. To output midi or audio data to the DAW (Reaper in this case), you click on the circle with the little black arrow in it to the left of the Steinberg name, (just below the "Random" button and just above the "Groove Agent" logo). It pops up a box with (amongst other things) Midi Output and Audio Output. Pick your poison, then go back to the track and arm it for recording whichever you have chosen. In this case, midi as apparently that's what the original post was looking to do. BTW, if you click on the right lower corner "Setup", it brings up the mixer for the various drums.... I have no idea why they hide these 2 functions the way they did, but there is an 8th level of Hell for programmers that do this type of thing.
jbegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 05:13 PM   #6
midiman007

Thanks this helped me also.