Old 09-21-2014, 10:31 AM   #1
Human being with feelings

Default Lost R channel

I`ve just come across with a very strange bug which I don`t like at all.
I was recording quadro track heavy guitars, to save resources of PC during recording, I made an empty track with only vst load and attached all 4 tracks to it. Everything was fine and suddenly It stopped playing everything on those tracks what I panned to R channel...If I pan those tracks to L, then it`s OK...If I deconnect R channel tracks from the empty and paste on each of them vst`s, it`s OK too. But it`s very unconvenient as I need to freeze every track or make stems more than often... Tried to reboot project, create another empty track for attaching - no use. Has anybody experienced smth like that?
111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 11:02 AM   #2
serr

You just need to study Reaper's routing a little more.
Understand that all tracks have 2 channels minimum. The integrated pan control does NOT pan a single mono source to one channel or the other. Instead, it's a 'pan matrix' that attenuates one side or the other.

That means if you send post fader to another track (using it as a bus) and the source track (for example) is panned hard L, panning the destination track hard R will be silent as the post fader 2 channel send is already panned L and the R channel is silent.

This is why there is a very reasonable request for mono (1 track channel) tracks. Reaper's routing is unrestricted when you understand it but there is this 'old design' quirk to deal with.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 11:12 AM   #3

Ok, let`s assume I don`t know many things about it, but does it really explain the fact, that everything worked and nothing was changing, and then it just turned off like I don`t know, an old bulb in a lamp? Cause everything sounded in a way I wanted and after some time - surprise! That`s strange

Last edited by 111; 09-21-2014 at 11:21 AM.
Old 09-21-2014, 11:29 AM   #4
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 111 View Post
Ok, let`s assume I don`t know many things about it, but does it really explain the fact, that everything worked and nothing was changing, and then it just turned off like I don`t know, a bulb in a lamp? Cause everything sounded in a way I wanted and after some time - surpise! That`s strange
Sorry, I didn't catch the 'was working but stopped by itself' part!

Were you close to maxing out your system? (You mentioned busing multiple tracks to a single fx bus to save resources.) Maybe you crashed it (or maybe the plugin in question has issues or needs specific configuration to play nice).

Time to take inventory then...
Obvious sanity check #1: Open a project you know worked when you saved it. Still work?
Next: Go to Preferences/Audio/Device and select your interface again (yes it's already selected... just do it as though it isn't). Checking to see if a crash made the system "lose" the audio interface for this test. Check that the correct output is still assigned to your master track too.

Retrace your steps until you find the clue. Reaper can be tricky to troubleshoot at times as incorrect preferences settings and misbehaving plugins can all work flawlessly in smaller projects.
Old 09-21-2014, 12:11 PM   #5

Well I tried everything in the list, once it turned off now R panning doesn`t sound at all, only if I separate them from bus and paste vst`s on each of them (well of course clean signal goes without vst`s). But that`s not what my PC would dream
Old 09-21-2014, 04:35 PM   #6
serr

Quote:
Well I tried everything in the list, once it turned off now R panning doesn`t sound at all, only if I separate them from bus and paste vst`s on each of them (well of course clean signal goes without vst`s). But that`s not what my PC would dream
Huh? Wait...
Go back a step. Can you make a new project, create a track, put an audio item in the track, hit play and successfully pan the sound back and forth?

(My point there is to make a simple project to test your system without any additional variables. Or just play a stereo file. Trying to hear sound come out the R channel.)
Old 09-22-2014, 12:34 AM   #7

I created a fully new project, added 4 mono tracks, added a track with plugins, attached those 4 to it, panned 2 tracks L, 2 tracks R... The problem still remains 0_0
Old 09-22-2014, 07:57 AM   #8
serr

Quote:
I created a fully new project, added 4 mono tracks, added a track with plugins, attached those 4 to it, panned 2 tracks L, 2 tracks R... The problem still remains 0_0
But you still didn't answer my question above...

Can you make a simple project with no plugins or routing complexity and get a sound to come out your R channel. Yes or no?

My point is to eliminate the plugin as a variable and test your interface/Reaper by itself. You see, if that test works, then we know the issue is caused by the plugin you are trying to use and we can then focus on that.
Old 09-26-2014, 02:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
But you still didn't answer my question above...

Can you make a simple project with no plugins or routing complexity and get a sound to come out your R channel. Yes or no?

My point is to eliminate the plugin as a variable and test your interface/Reaper by itself. You see, if that test works, then we know the issue is caused by the plugin you are trying to use and we can then focus on that.
Yes, I can do this, and No, cause it doesn`t work. The problem is definetely not in vst`s
Old 09-27-2014, 08:59 AM   #10
serr

Quote:
Yes, I can do this, and No, cause it doesn`t work. The problem is definetely not in vst`s
Aha! So the issue is not being able to get sound out of the R channel regardless of anything else.

You said that it worked in the past and when it failed nothing had been changed. This suggests actual hardware failure in your audio interface.

This is what I would do next:

First, check your device setup again just to be certain there wasn't an inadvertent mistake. You should also try other media players just to confirm the same problem outside of Reaper.

Check your interface settings. Many interfaces have built-in digital mixers and switchable routing which makes it VERY easy to set something wrong.

If there are no device setup mistakes in Reaper, no incorrect routing settings on your audio interface, and your other media player apps have the same problem, then it can only be hardware. Either a bad cable or electronic failure in the interface. Check cables first!
Old 09-28-2014, 03:10 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
Aha! So the issue is not being able to get sound out of the R channel regardless of anything else.

You said that it worked in the past and when it failed nothing had been changed. This suggests actual hardware failure in your audio interface.

This is what I would do next:

First, check your device setup again just to be certain there wasn't an inadvertent mistake. You should also try other media players just to confirm the same problem outside of Reaper.

Check your interface settings. Many interfaces have built-in digital mixers and switchable routing which makes it VERY easy to set something wrong.

If there are no device setup mistakes in Reaper, no incorrect routing settings on your audio interface, and your other media player apps have the same problem, then it can only be hardware. Either a bad cable or electronic failure in the interface. Check cables first!
Well, cables are OK as it sounds without group tracks, maybe hardware, maybe smth else, anyway still complete mystery, I think I`ll try making default settings after I finish the current project and see what it`ll do
Old 09-28-2014, 07:16 AM   #12
serr

Quote:
Well, cables are OK as it sounds without group tracks, maybe hardware, maybe smth else, anyway still complete mystery, I think I`ll try making default settings after I finish the current project and see what it`ll do
Just follow the signal chain from start to finish.

You have 2 channels (stereo) which means you can swap connections/settings from one to the other to check on things.

For example, you can switch the left and right leads going to your speakers to check if you have a bad speaker vs. one of the wires being bad. (The 'badness' would stay in the same speaker if it was the cause when you switched cables. If it switched speakers, then you would know it's the cable.)

That's just an example to illustrate the troubleshooting process.