Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 06-19-2018, 09:51 AM   #1
Farakeys
Human being with feelings

Default Maschine MK3 MCU Mode + PADs in MIDI mode

Hi Guys,

Reaper is my favourite software for playing VST instruments live with bands, triggering tracks and Samples, composing and so. I've been using Reaper for a while, and about a month ago i've added to my current setup NI Maschine MK3.

Maschine MK3 is a great controller, and supports Controller Messages (CC) and MCU (Mackie Control Universal) messages in MIDI mode.

What is not that great is that you can't (at least apparently...) use separate MIDI ports to the messages generated by MCU controls from Notes and CC messages generated by pressing PADs.

I Have a Simple Setup in Reaper that i'd like to integrate with Maschine to play live with my band:
8 Buttons to arm Tracks for Playing VST instruments (Mackie Control)
8 Faders to control Track volumes (Mackie Control)
2 Banks of 12 PADs to trigger Samples (MIDI notes from C-2 to B-1)
Transport Buttons (Mackie Controls)
Any MIDI Keyboard Controller connected to a separate MIDI port

MIDI in: Maschine EXT

Control Surface: Mackie Control Universal (MIDI in and MIDI out are Maschines CTRL ports)

Basically, the controls around Maschine Screen should handle Track arm and/or Track select and Track Volume. The PADS where configured to trigger Samples (send midi Notes to Kontakt), so i can use Maschine as my Live Rig controller and Sample Trigger, and use a regular Keyboard Controller to play other VST instruments Live.

The MCU controls worked fine, but Unfortunately, i can't figure out how to route the PADs in Maschine to a separate MIDI port... When using the same MIDI port, triggering MIDI notes With Maschine PADs cause conflicts in several Mackie Control messages (Arming and Muting tracks and so). I've tried a different MIDI Channel for the PADs (MIDI Channel 11, outside MCU Range) but it didn't worked as well.

Can't figure out how to put this things to work in reaper.

Any Advice?
Farakeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 04:23 PM   #2
karbomusic

Have you tried the NI Controller Editor?
Old 06-19-2018, 09:24 PM   #3
Farakeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Have you tried the NI Controller Editor?
Hi Karbormusic!

Yes, i did. I've tried some factory templates (Mackie Control, etc) but ended with a custom setup in NI Controller Editor, where the PADs where assigned to the MIDI notes and the buttons and encoders where assigned to control Tracks.
I've Hooked Maschine's midi out to MIDI-OX to check the MIDI messages, and they seem to bem all correct, but even using separate MIDI channels to MIDI Notes and MCU, when i press the buttons (MCU arm tracks) they transmit MIDI Notes. I can even see the pads flashing when the conflict occurs. Maybe MCU transmits in global channel?
Farakeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:21 PM   #4
themixtape

I want to know more about this.... there HAS to be a way to get Maschine to send Mackie Control messages (such as with encoders / midi feedback) and use general MIDI templates.

Midi input / output ports be damned... seriously.
Old 09-23-2019, 10:38 PM   #5
foxAsteria

I use the center row of buttons to route the pads to different channels: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=207939

But you can't actually use Maschine with multiple ports on Windows even though the functionality is provided. After a random amount of time, they stop working. It's a bug and it doesn't appear it will get fixed (tho there are some questionable registry hacks available): https://www.native-instruments.com/f...230214/page-17
Old 09-25-2019, 04:42 PM   #6
themixtape

I figured out that by using LoopMIDI to create two virtual ports (for in and out) and Midi-Ox to route them to mirror the "Maschine MK3 In" and "Maschine MK3 Out"... I'm able to use those main Maschine ports for the regular midi notes/CC messages... and "Virtual In" (or whatever I name it) and "Virtual Out" (or whatever) for the MCU Control Surface stuff. Works great.

The only thing that sucks is all MCU messages are always Midi Channel 1, and the messages are midi NOTES (not CC messages), which is annoying as hell, but it works... although a little buggy (screen/track names erase randomly, etc)