Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 01-17-2023, 06:27 PM   #1
bolgwrad
Human being with feelings

Default v6.73+dev0117 - January 17 2023

v6.73+dev0117 - January 17 2023
* Includes feature branch: mouse modifier small ID action binding fix
* Includes feature branch: fixed lane comping
* Includes feature branch: shortcut import/export improvements and multiple main keyboard sections
* Includes feature branch: improve samplerate change behavior when loading projects
* Includes feature branch: VST3 re-map of parameter IDs due to restartComponent
* Includes feature branch: AU parameter list change notification support
* Includes feature branch: MIDI editor screenset improvements
* Includes feature branch: routing matrix/track wiring input activity indicators
* Includes feature branch: preview item selection for grouped tracks
* Includes feature branch: VST3 per-channel silence reporting compatibility option
* Includes feature branch: better .RfxChain media explorer and clipboard integration
* Includes feature branch: ReaReaRea timestretch mode
* Includes feature branch: GR metering as embedded UI for third-party VSTs
* Includes feature branch: JSFX new features and EEL2 preprocessor
* Includes feature branch: render dialog statistics display improvements
* Includes feature branch: media item fixed lanes
+ Action list: add join/heal as default synonyms
+ Group manager: fix redundant refreshes
+ Media item lanes: add fixed lane button mouse modifiers to insert or delete lane
+ Media item lanes: allow creating a comp area in the comping lane
+ Media item lanes: allow creating a new comp area within the bounds of an existing comp area
+ Media item lanes: comp areas respect region editing
+ Media item lanes: display non-playing MIDI media items similar to muted items in the MIDI editor
+ ReaScript: support "C_LANEPLAYS" in GetSetMediaItemInfo(), read-only
+ macOS: improve compatibility of 'Open source file' mouse modifier dragging [p=2636376]
# Media item lanes: better handling when drag/dropping multiple files onto empty TCP area [p=2636364]
# Media item lanes: don't auto-promote new recording when recording into comping lane
# Media item lanes: don't move a comp area to a nonexistent lane due to track grouping [p=2636363]
# Media item lanes: fix creating comp areas when multiple razor edits exist [p=2636111]
# Media item lanes: fix drawing glitch during playback when razor edits and comp areas exist [p=2636115]
# Media item lanes: support healing adjacent comp areas by clicking the edge with the delete mouse modifier
# Media item lanes: undo improvements
# Media item lanes: when editing with mouse modifier to allow empty space between comp areas, or editing unsynced areas, restrict the edit to the edges of adjoining comp areas [p=2636114]
# Media item lanes: when initiating comping on a grouped track, ensure that other grouped tracks have a comping lane [p=2636225]
Old 01-17-2023, 10:10 PM   #2
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
+ Media item lanes: allow creating a new comp area within the bounds of an existing comp area

+ Media item lanes: allow creating a comp area in the comping lane
This was my idea and I assume it was a reversion of some previous conversations that I missed.

Please come at me for bringing this back and let's discuss why or why it shouldn't have.

Thanks.

Last edited by Kenny Gioia; 01-17-2023 at 10:48 PM.
Kenny Gioia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 10:56 PM   #3
awelex

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolgwrad View Post
v6.73+dev0117 - January 17 2023
+ macOS: improve compatibility of 'Open source file' mouse modifier dragging [p=2636376]
Can confirm that this is working swimmingly in macOS now! Thanks for adding.
awelex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 11:09 PM   #4
ferropop

ferropop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 11:10 PM   #5
ferropop

This has been a thing forever, but especially fighting against it with Lanes.

Just want to place the track at the center of the screen!

When near the bottom, you cannot Hand Tool the track to the center of the screen.

Is there any way to "unlock" whatever is going in here? I only bring this up because of how frustrating this is going to be when trying to navigate many lanes.

Last edited by ferropop; 01-17-2023 at 11:16 PM.
ferropop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 11:28 PM   #6
deeb

Many of the zoom tcp and project are tedious to work. They move and behave in not friendly way (not smooth). Please keep things we are focused in place, so that we don’t get confused. This is huge workflow detail that reaper is missing hard. The tinny “random” moviments of the things that should stay exactly in the same place.

Examples (but there are more):
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=2545296

Last edited by deeb; 01-17-2023 at 11:33 PM.
deeb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 12:00 AM   #7
Embass

Embass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 12:03 AM   #8
Embass

Old 01-18-2023, 12:15 AM   #9
sockmonkey72

I'd like to come back to this behavior:

In sync mode, the comp area behaves like an eraser, which still feels odd. I think the fact that I am in the middle of a mouse gesture means that the comp area should get in the way of whatever's already there, but not delete it, similar to what happens when you're in non-sync mode and you move items around.

In my imagination, releasing the mouse would finalize the gesture and delete or truncate other items.
Old 01-18-2023, 12:17 AM   #10
sockmonkey72

Quote:
+ Media item lanes: display non-playing MIDI media items similar to muted items in the MIDI editor
I was prepared to go to the barricades about this one, but it's working exactly as I'd expect using my MIDI Editing prefs (and a few others that I tried).

Old 01-18-2023, 12:26 AM   #11
Embass

Old 01-18-2023, 12:35 AM   #12
tonalstates

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferropop View Post
+1
tonalstates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 01:01 AM   #13
sockmonkey72

I think this is also unintuitive behavior:

Again, I am in the middle of a mouse gesture and it feels weird that "irreversible" things are happening as part of that. I would have no problem if the stickiness begins after I drop the comp item and drag it again (in that case, I have the option to press Cmd + left drag to get the non-sticky behavior). But activating stickiness (and deleting stuff) as I am in a continuous drag operation makes me feel like I have no control over what's happening. Particularly because I wouldn't expect that moving one item would push and pull the bounds of others with which I am not working.

If I think about it, I can press Cmd and drag will have no stickiness, and won't delete stuff (since it doesn't move over the edges of other comp lane items). So from that perspective, there's a workaround, but the default behavior is still pretty odd (IMO) and I question the overall approach to initiating these side effects during mouse gestures.

Last edited by sockmonkey72; 01-18-2023 at 01:23 AM.
sockmonkey72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 01:38 AM   #14
Odys

Quote:

This has been a thing forever, but especially fighting against it with Lanes.

When near the bottom, you cannot Hand Tool the track to the center of the screen.

Is there any way to "unlock" whatever is going in here? I only bring this up because of how frustrating this is going to be when trying to navigate many lanes.
Always have extra empty tracks at the end of a project.

My starting project template has 40 empty tracks so I can scroll easily and have tracks that I'm working on near top or center.
Old 01-18-2023, 01:39 AM   #15
Skorobagatko

Quote:
If you choose one MIDI editor per track, it's because you don't want overlapped items to be display inside a MIDI editor. So why shouldn't it be the same for items on fixed lanes track?

Actually it doesn't work as expected. It displays MIDI items for more then one track, not for just a selected track (MIDI editor per track)
Muted notes should become visible only with one MIDI editor per project setting.

It will be hard to edit MIDI item with a lot of muted notes. It'll become unreadable and will be hard to to select the right note.

Maybe adding a new option might be a good idea?
Skorobagatko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 03:08 AM   #16
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
right-drag screencap
I'm not able to reproduce that. Could you post a small project that's set up however it needs to be to reproduce?
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 04:18 AM   #17
Vagelis

There was a big change on this and previous pre regarding re-sync automatically an item on comp lane with a comp area, I preferred the behavior in dev016 much more.

In dev0116, when we were moving an item in comp lane and then back to the area to sync, it could sync while holding the mouse, which was very useful to know if a comp area and an item could sync.

In the last two pres this has changed and we can't see, we have to release the mouse and then the area and item will sync, which is not useful as a sync indicator. Can we have back the behavior of dev0116 please??

Vagelis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 04:22 AM   #18
Vagelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
This was my idea and I assume it was a reversion of some previous conversations that I missed.

Please come at me for bringing this back and let's discuss why or why it shouldn't have.

Thanks.
Yeah what is the benefit of this behavior? I liked also how clean it was previously, what i was missing a bit, was a left click modifier to create a split marker at mouse cursor, which then we could divide an area and swap fast a comp area from another lane.

Maybe it would be nice to have an option so we could switch behavior?
Old 01-18-2023, 04:23 AM   #19
Coachz

Quote:

Thanks.
I thought the comp lane was just to display the composite of the other selected segments below it. What purpose does selecting in the top composite lane have?
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 04:30 AM   #20
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skorobagatko View Post
Actually it doesn't work as expected. It displays MIDI items for more then one track, not for just a selected track (MIDI editor per track)
Muted notes should become visible only with one MIDI editor per project setting.
One MIDI editor per track is per track, not per lane. If you have fixed item lanes and MIDI items on each lane, depending on settings, you'll still see all those items in one editor per track mode and you should too. You can have muted notes (items) on lanes > you should see muted notes in editor. ME Track selector shows and works with lanes as well, so you can do visibility and editability selections from there like always.

Last edited by xpander; 01-18-2023 at 04:36 AM.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 04:38 AM   #21
Vagelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by sockmonkey72 View Post

In sync mode, the comp area behaves like an eraser, which still feels odd. I think the fact that I am in the middle of a mouse gesture means that the comp area should get in the way of whatever's already there, but not delete it, similar to what happens when you're in non-sync mode and you move items around.

In my imagination, releasing the mouse would finalize the gesture and delete or truncate other items.
Agreed, I think i prefer deleting the area compared to the new behavior.

But I don't think would be possible not to delete something while in edit mode, because in comp lane we see whatever happens in comp area.
Old 01-18-2023, 05:22 AM   #22
sockmonkey72

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
One MIDI editor per track is per track, not per lane. If you have fixed item lanes and MIDI items on each lane, depending on settings, you'll still see all those items in one editor per track mode and you should too. You can have muted notes (items) on lanes > you should see muted notes in editor. ME Track selector shows and works with lanes as well, so you can do visibility and editability selections from there like always.
This is a very literal way of approaching the problem. Yes, we understand that they are lanes on a single track and that the preference says 'track'. But then again -- you wouldn't expect to see all of your takes at once in a multi-take item (although they are also on the same track).

As I mentioned above, with the prefs I posted, I don't experience the problem of seeing all of my lanes piled on top of one another.

Nevertheless, this line of argument kind of ignores the fact that seeing all the lanes piled on top of one another isn't a good default behavior (because it's not what most users will want or expect).
Old 01-18-2023, 05:33 AM   #23
Vagelis

May I ask again for a double click context for fixed lane area? It would be useful to edit or sync or in general to divide some actions between left and double click contexts.

Edit: Maybe a double click context could also come in handy for fixed lane buttons?
Old 01-18-2023, 05:43 AM   #24
xpander

Quote:
Nevertheless, this line of argument kind of ignores the fact that seeing all the lanes piled on top of one another isn't a good default behavior (because it's not what most users will want or expect).
This shouldn't be a guesswork about number of users. I for one certainly want to see all items on lanes/tracks/project how I set them to appear in settings. From my POV, you must be "literal" on those issues. However, I might have misunderstood the point here. I have my own ME settings, which work like I expect them to work so far. If the talk here is about what Reaper has as default settings for ME, I have no say about that...
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 06:13 AM   #25
sockmonkey72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagelis View Post
Agreed, I think i prefer deleting the area compared to the new behavior.

But I don't think would be possible not to delete something while in edit mode, because in comp lane we see whatever happens in comp area.
I am actually not sure whether you are agreeing with what I posted, since I don't prefer the deletion of the areas left and right of the one I am moving, if I happen to move the mouse over them.

Then again, you are generally very agreeable, so maybe it's a both/and/or/yes/no kind of thing.
Old 01-18-2023, 06:23 AM   #26
Vagelis

Quote:
I am actually not sure whether you are agreeing with what I posted, since I don't prefer the deletion of the areas left and right of the one I am moving, if I happen to move the mouse over them.

Then again, you are generally very agreeable, so maybe it's a both/and/or/yes/no kind of thing.
Ah then sorry if misunderstood, compared to this behavior and the one that's removing the items as shown in your gif, i think i prefer to remove them, because what's the point of not deleting them? While moving the area in edit mode everything in lanes is in sync, in case we edit something in lanes to appear in comp lane, then moving the area in edit mode it shows the content in comp area from lanes.
Old 01-18-2023, 06:23 AM   #27
ovnis

Quote:
You can have muted notes (items) on lanes > you should see muted notes in editor. ME Track selector shows and works with lanes as well, so you can do visibility and editability selections from there like always.
It can be very painfull to do that each time you want to edit your MIDI item inside fixed lanes... Especially guys like me who use often fixed lanes track with lots of lanes and items.

Quote:
This shouldn't be a guesswork about number of users.
If you read the comments on the previous thread, very few people seems to want that.

Maybe adding a new option could be a good idea? "One MIDI Editor per track and per lane"?

Like that, it would always one MIDI item displayed at once and no more grey notes or darker notes. Even with overlaped MIDI items which are on non fixed lanes track.

Actually, I think it's not a great idea to display notes of items not clicked as muted because, in fact, when a lane is muted, it's not MIDI notes which are muted.

Plus, if we edit a MIDI item which is on a fixed lane mutes, notes of this item will be muted... It can be confusing.

Moreover, how to know which note is really muted or not?

Why not follow the type of poster there is with "One MIDI editor per project" with darker notes for exemple?

There would be more consistency with the rest.

Last edited by ovnis; 01-18-2023 at 06:29 AM.
ovnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 06:26 AM   #28
sockmonkey72

Quote:
Ah then sorry if misunderstood, compared to this behavior and the one that's removing the items as shown in your gif, i think i prefer to remove them, because what's the point of not deleting them? While moving the area in edit mode everything in lanes is in sync, in case we edit something in lanes to appear in comp lane, then moving the area in edit mode it shows the content in comp area from lanes.
I'm fine with deleting stuff after I let go of the mouse, but deleting stuff in a drive-by fashion is kind of brutal.
Old 01-18-2023, 06:27 AM   #29
ovnis

Quote:
I'm fine with deleting stuff after I let go of the mouse, but deleting stuff in a drive-by fashion is kind of brutal.
+1000
ovnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 06:32 AM   #30
Vagelis

Quote:
So when there's no other item to auto update the comp lane and when there's an item and pass above it to stop updating in real time?

Why not moving it without edit mode on?
Old 01-18-2023, 06:34 AM   #31
bolgwrad

Quote:

+1
Old 01-18-2023, 06:40 AM   #32
Vagelis

BTW this is the exact same behavior when we 're not in edit mode and we 're moving an area from lanes, because it overlaps other areas.

I guess the reason this is important to stay like this in edit mode is because any edit in lanes should be reflected in comp lane. If one wants to move just the item in comp lane and unsync from comp area, it could be done without edit mode on.

In short: if we want to edit an item in comp lane, edit mode should be off, if we want to edit an item in a comp area in lanes, edit mode should be on and edit inside the area.
Old 01-18-2023, 06:46 AM   #33
Embass

Old 01-18-2023, 06:49 AM   #34
Embass

Old 01-18-2023, 06:50 AM   #35
FeedTheCat

Quote:

Thanks.
I was previously against it. The only way to remove splits in that dev-version was dragging them out, which felt a lot like the classic take system...

I think it's fine now that we have easy ways to remove splits. At least it's consistent. I still would be interested to try if/how "drawing in" comp-areas would function (think of freehand draw envelope). Hard to tell with these things without trying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolgwrad View Post
# Media item lanes: support healing adjacent comp areas by clicking the edge with the delete mouse modifier
Made me wonder, wouldn't that also be great to have for the classic comp-system? E.g. a mouse modifier for alt+double click on media item edge? Would be very convenient to quickly remove unwanted splits after recording.

I briefly tried it, but apparently "heal splits in items" doesn't deal with empty takes at all. Anyhow, sorry for going off-topic.

P.S. Maybe I'm just confused at this point, but why is take 2 empty in the gif? Shouldn't it be take 1?
Old 01-18-2023, 07:53 AM   #36
vsgrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by awelex View Post
Can confirm that this is working swimmingly in macOS now! Thanks for adding.
Yes, this is great great stuff.
I can drag from timeline directly into TAL Sampler in macOS now. Woohoo
vsgrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 08:25 AM   #37
_Stevie_

Default MIDI item issue with trimming and splitting via API

Hey devs,

there is an unexpected behavior introduced beginning with v6.73+dev0113 concerning splitting and trimming MIDI items (custom scripts using the API).

I suspect these guys here to be the culprit:
from 113
Code:
+ MIDI split: when trimming items, chase CC/pitch/etc
and from 114
Code:
# MIDI split: fix incorrect note added after split
I'm doing the following in the GIF:

1. Custom trim head script (revealing the area before, to show that it's gone)
2. Then splitting (also custom split script) at few bars later
= notes and a CC curve are appearing in the split item, although it shouldn't contain anything

Here's what happens with 113 and upwards:

And here's the expected behavior from 112:

If you need the custom scripts, let me now!
Old 01-18-2023, 08:52 AM   #38
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Yeah what is the benefit of this behavior?
In the previous build(s), you could use the mouse modifier to create a new comp area. BUT only if that area was a non-chosen area. So if you were working thru your song and picked lane 1 as your choice, you couldn't drag on lane 1 to create the next area. It would only extend the previous one. Which you could already do just by grabbing and trimming the end of that area. So you'd have to draw it on lane 2, then switch it back to lane 1 to start hearing that lane. I think that's inconsistent. Using that mouse modifier should always perform the function of creating a new area. IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
I thought the comp lane was just to display the composite of the other selected segments below it. What purpose does selecting in the top composite lane have?
At this point it might seem pointless but later on people are going to want to comp while only viewing one lane. So having the ability to create the area in the final comp lane would make that possible. You can create areas and use a keyboard shortcut to switch what lane you're hearing without having to see multiple lanes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedTheCat View Post

I think it's fine now that we have easy ways to remove splits. At least it's consistent.
And that was my issue. The context mm is for creating new comp areas. It should do that whenever used. If you want to extend them, just use the trim tool. It's right threre.

Last edited by Kenny Gioia; 01-18-2023 at 08:58 AM.
Kenny Gioia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 09:06 AM   #39
Klangfarben

Quote:
+1111
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 09:07 AM   #40
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
Hey devs,

there is an unexpected behavior introduced beginning with v6.73+dev0113 concerning splitting and trimming MIDI items (custom scripts using the API).

I suspect these guys here to be the culprit:
from 113
Code:
+ MIDI split: when trimming items, chase CC/pitch/etc
and from 114
Code:
# MIDI split: fix incorrect note added after split
I'm doing the following in the GIF:

1. Custom trim head script (revealing the area before, to show that it's gone)
2. Then splitting (also custom split script) at few bars later
= notes and a CC curve are appearing in the split item, although it shouldn't contain anything

Here's what happens with 113 and upwards:

And here's the expected behavior from 112:

If you need the custom scripts, let me now!
Thanks, fixing!
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote