Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 07-09-2013, 02:04 PM   #1
Sound asleep
Human being with feelings

Default Original song: what I think of what's happening in the USA

Just a Youtube video of the most recent song I've written. It was inspired by many events of recent history, most notably the NSA spy scandal.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:35 PM   #2
hotsaucejalapeno

That is some epic guitar playing!

Keep up the good work!
hotsaucejalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:11 PM   #3
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsaucejalapeno View Post
That is some epic guitar playing!

Keep up the good work!
Thanks man!
Old 07-09-2013, 03:44 PM   #4
The Telenator
Banned

Rather nice. Thanks for linking. Hows about a series of protest songs next? Suggest: End of the Middle Class, Death of the American Dream, Destruction of Democracy, New EU Cold War with America -- you know, like the spying scandal, just typical everyday all-American filth and stuff.
The Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:52 PM   #5
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Telenator View Post
Rather nice. Thanks for linking. Hows about a series of protest songs next? Suggest: End of the Middle Class, Death of the American Dream, Destruction of Democracy, New EU Cold War with America -- you know, like the spying scandal, just typical everyday all-American filth and stuff.
thanks Lol. I prefer for my songs to be more open ended, more of a question. This song is that way. It might not seem like it at first glance, but the idea is "what can we know?" not "the states are fucked" though in asking yourself the question, that might be the conclusion you arrive at.

My next song I am releasing is called "where did the hope go".

The idea is that when you look back at the 60-70s kind of deal, the people stood for what they believed in, and fought for it.

And now, we are nonchalant, even in the face of something so serious, that so strongly undermines the freedom of citizens.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:57 PM   #6
hopi

both very nice... thanks for sharing!
Old 07-09-2013, 04:01 PM   #7
karbomusic

Nice job Terence

Is that an 814? Nice axe and if it is an 814, I have one and am quite fond of it.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:12 PM   #8
The Telenator
Banned

Still sounds like protest music to me. I'm making up some placards and black arm bands now.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:29 PM   #9
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
both very nice... thanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Nice job Terence

Is that an 814? Nice axe and if it is an 814, I have one and am quite fond of it.
Thanks guys!

Very close, It's an 816, and I'm in love with it.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:33 PM   #10
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound asleep View Post
Thanks guys!

It's an 816, and I'm in love with it.
I bet you are, not too be fanboyish but the 800 series is pretty amazing. Don't get me wrong, I have an HD28 that I love just as much but those 800s have this butteryness that is just wonderful.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:39 PM   #11
Wolffman

Nice playing man !! Nothing better than a song with an underlying truth.

Cheers

https://soundcloud.com/wolffman7
Wolffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:41 PM   #12
Sound asleep

Quote:
Still sounds like protest music to me. I'm making up some placards and black arm bands now.
Indeed it does, but only because of events that transpired that allow it be so.

I said nothing that isn't common knowledge. It's just presented that way, it seems like a protest. That's the thing.

I prefer to think of it as conscious music. It is just ideas. But the ideas are yours. I've only made observations of known facts.

Anyway, that's partly what art is for. Sharing thoughts and ideas. Whether it be political, or about love, or money.

I know many people will hate this. Some will hate it because of the content, some will hate it because of the musical style.

That's ok. hopefully some people won't hate it, and some people will relate to it.

you can label it protest music if you want to. But it alluded to no protest, it only mentions facts we have come to know about, and it leaves the uncertainties open.

What can we know right?

Maybe it is innocent, and nothing is amiss, or maybe shit is all fucked up beyond belief. What can we know?

The government violated it's constitution, we know that. It bypassed the safeguards put in place to protect the freedom of the people in relation to a government that would strip them of it.

We know that. If we know that, if we know they have done that, and only because it was leaked, then what else don't we know?

We are stuck believing.

I'm asking you. I'm not telling you anything you don't already know.

But still, if you ask me, the streets of america should be filled with people in protest.

That's my opinion. But that is not stated in that song.

It's ok, you can call it a protest song, you can hate it. It doesn't matter. It is what it is, regardless of the label you give it. It is honesty of my thoughts, and to me, that is art.

I'm just saying think about it. What can we know?
Old 07-09-2013, 04:42 PM   #13
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolffman View Post
Nice playing man !! Nothing better than a song with an underlying truth.

Cheers
Thanks man!
Old 07-09-2013, 04:48 PM   #14
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I bet you are, not too be fanboyish but the 800 series is pretty amazing. Don't get me wrong, I have an HD28 that I love just as much but those 800s have this butteryness that is just wonderful.
Ya, exactly! the butteryness. mmmmm... buttery.

I think with musical instruments, there are many styles of guitars suitable to many styles of people, and many types of music, and I'd love to have a nice little arsenal of different ones myself.

But I love this guitar, the smooth buttery feel of it, and sound of it, is awesome. The 816 comes equipped with medium gauge strings also, which are my favourite, and that's why i chose that one. Some possessions are awesome when you get them, and then get old, and you quickly stop caring so much about them. But every time I pick this thing up, it still just emanates awesomeness.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:55 PM   #15
grayter1

Nice work. Great chops.
Mac Studio M1 MAX / 64GB / 2TB HD / macOS Ventura 13.6.3 / RME BabyFace Pro FS / SSL UF8 + UF1 + UC1 / Roland SYSTEM 8 / Kontrol S61 mk3 / Keylab 61 mkII / Komplete 14 / Omnisphere / Keyscape / Trilian / V Collection X / UVI Falcon
grayter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:35 PM   #16
henge

Very tasty! Great playing.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:14 PM   #17
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayter1 View Post
Nice work. Great chops.
Quote:
Originally Posted by henge View Post
Very tasty! Great playing.
Thanks a lot guys, and thanks everybody who took the time to listen!
Old 07-09-2013, 09:59 PM   #18
The Telenator
Banned

Sound asleep, again -- great tune. Not familiar with the model of axe discussed but love the chops, as others point out too.

Protest? Eh, just having fun with it and not trying to push in any direction. As you explain, it's more on the speculative and deeper philosophical level, not simply some demand like 'Power to the People' (fist clenched and held high). At the same time, some of the best protest tunes to my mind were best because they took an approach more like yours.

I like music for its own sake and love tunes just as much without any intended message, but more and more lately I've been longing to hear a message or two in the lyrics more like what you have here. Crotch Rock has its place, too, still I think, but a little bit of the profound is sorely needed for our times.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:44 AM   #19
Keidiek

Your guitar sounds amazing; good job sir.
Keidiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:34 AM   #20
morgon

Nice work SA.
morgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:34 AM   #21
Sound asleep

Quote:
Sound asleep, again -- great tune. Not familiar with the model of axe discussed but love the chops, as others point out too.

Protest? Eh, just having fun with it and not trying to push in any direction. As you explain, it's more on the speculative and deeper philosophical level, not simply some demand like 'Power to the People' (fist clenched and held high). At the same time, some of the best protest tunes to my mind were best because they took an approach more like yours.

I like music for its own sake and love tunes just as much without any intended message, but more and more lately I've been longing to hear a message or two in the lyrics more like what you have here. Crotch Rock has its place, too, still I think, but a little bit of the profound is sorely needed for our times.
Thanks a lot man. I know what you mean. Sorry, I guess somewhere in the text, I misunderstood, and picked up that you meant that negatively. But as you pointed out, I think it is better to be more sort of subtle or open. Not pushy or preachy, but just put some information out there to think about. I don't want to tell anybody anything, but i'd like for people to think about some stuff with me. You know?

There is music out there like that, but it is hard to find sometimes. I think there is a fine line for that sort of thing. Plus with music there is always how much one can relate to the musical part of it also. Sometimes you'll find it in hip hop, sometimes grunge, and what have you. It's difficult sometimes also not to be too sort of pushy, or preachy, and not so subtle that nobody really fully understands what you're saying also. But there is music like that for sure. However, I'm with you, I could use some more.

I have written a fair number of songs that are in and around this style. Not all my music is sort of serious content like that, but a fair amount of it is.

You can find some of it on my soundcloud and youtube. You could follow me/subscribe there and get updates when I release more stuff. I'm also on twitter and facebook, a search for "Terence Dechef" should find me, or just stick around here, and I'll post more at some point for sure. I don't have all of the ones i've written so far up yet, but I will eventually. I'll put up some guitar freestyle instrumentals as well. Here's what some of them are about, if you're interested:

Quote:
Whatever happened: a song about the world in general, and also about how music used to be positive and about love and stuff, and we've become sort of hard. This is the most difficult one to give an idea in a short paragraph, but I find it's a cool one.

Is it enough: Basically it is acknowledging how we consume and consume, and how that affects our world. How we still want to continue our ways, and justify it by buying "greener" things, and recycling and stuff, but, is it enough?

Freedom fighter: Fight for your freedom, but not at the expense of the freedom of others.

Out of the box: It's a play on words where "box" refers also to tv. How tv and media shapes us. There are some things I really hate about tv and media, how shallow it is and stuff, this song is about that.

Where did the hope go: A song about how we see things that are wrong, and acknowledge it, but do nothing, and feel as though we are powerless, and justify it by saying humans are just that way. How I think we can change, and hey, maybe we can't change, but we will only know if we first believe.

Not just un reve: This is more a quebec oriented song because here there is french/english tension, so the song is half french and half english, One verse in french, and then in the next verse the same message except english, and chorus split this way also. That was actually a cool challenge to pull off. It's about how it doesn't matter what it sounds like when you speak, the important part is that we speak to each other and understand each other.
That's pretty much it i think. I have 2 other ones for sure that were from when I started writing songs: "What do we tell her" about what do we tell the knew born child to explain the world we have left for her, and "Mighty Swords" The pen is mightier than the sword, but the sword is mightier than men. Many that have changed us have died, a meaning like the bridge of this song basically. But, I'd have to re-work those probably.

I think if you liked this song, you'll like a lot of those other ones also, maybe less the french/english one because it isn't pertinent to you as much necessarily. But I think you'd like the other ones, some maybe more than this one. I have a fairly consistent style with my music from a musical perspective, but there is a good range of difference still also.

They are not like the ideas you put forward, but some of those things are the types of things I would mention in passing in a verse of a song. even this one. It is very much NSA spy inspired, but the song is "what can we know", and really I only technically mention NSA spying in a couple lines.

If you wanted to really help me out, you could shared my stuff or like it or follow it through social media, It would mean a lot to me. The more exposure I could get, the better I can become, and the more music I can make.

Again, sorry i misunderstood you, I was actually a little unsure in reading it. Like i said, and as you pointed out, I think there is a fine with music, where it can be promoting thought, even thought that might provoke protest, and music that is too pushy or preachy. I imagine that line would be in different places for different people. i was just drawing that line out for you of where I thought that song was on. It is what it is. I'm sure some will hate that, and some will like that. Thank you for being someone that liked it.

I think it is important to share ideas like this. Standard media won't really do it necessarily. It will try to be objective, or it will be controlled by corporations, or it won't be "the time or place" even though somehow sporting events are the time and place to promote armed forces. Or some ideas might find their ways onto certain shows that may be biased left wing or right wing, where people just go there to reinforce the ideas they get from the group they have affiliated themselves with already.

I think it is really up to art to help share and promote ideas. And it is important as individuals to promote and share ideas they believe in also.

It is tough to do that in conversation or speech, or without being preachy and pushy, but sharing music or art is easier I find.

Music used to be quite strong in this regard.

Anyways, thanks again for your kind words, and for having taken the time to listen.

Last edited by Sound asleep; 07-10-2013 at 12:01 PM.
Sound asleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:35 AM   #22
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgon View Post
Nice work SA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keidiek View Post
Your guitar sounds amazing; good job sir.
Thanks a lot guys!