Old 06-08-2015, 11:55 AM   #1
Johnnyvox
Human being with feelings

Default Maschine Reaper template

Hi all,

Just got a Maschine and I've been searching for a Maschine 2.x template for Reaper. I just want to record MIDI from each Maschine group onto it's own MIDI track where I can edit it and build tracks in a linear timeline.

Not sure why I'm having so much trouble but the videos/threads I've found are either old or super confusing. Anyone have a template for this?
Johnnyvox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 12:38 PM   #2
foxAsteria

it's really easy and you have a couple options. you need to right click your maschine group and set group batch midi to either notes or midi channels.

if you want to be able to trigger different pitches for each sound, choose midi (in group batch) and set your child tracks each to its own midi channel; each sound will be triggered from any note on each of the 16 midi channels. when i say "child" tracks i mean that maschine should be on one track and the tracks with midi notes can be dragged into the maschine track, making them subfolder or "child" tracks. that's how folders work; the child tracks send to the folder parent.

if you want to keep your other midi channels free, use notes mode and then each pad will be on a different note within the same channel.

once it's set up how you like, just select all the tracks and make your own template.
Old 06-08-2015, 01:35 PM   #3
Johnnyvox

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
it's really easy and you have a couple options. you need to right click your maschine group and set group batch midi to either notes or midi channels.

if you want to be able to trigger different pitches for each sound, choose midi (in group batch) and set your child tracks each to its own midi channel; each sound will be triggered from any note on each of the 16 midi channels. when i say "child" tracks i mean that maschine should be on one track and the tracks with midi notes can be dragged into the maschine track, making them subfolder or "child" tracks. that's how folders work; the child tracks send to the folder parent.

if you want to keep your other midi channels free, use notes mode and then each pad will be on a different note within the same channel.

once it's set up how you like, just select all the tracks and make your own template.
Thanks for your help.

So here's where I'm confused: I have the group set to "sounds to midi channels" and then 3 Child tracks under the VSTi. Each has input on a different midi channel. So how do I get each group to send to a specific track/channel?

Also when I record the sound plays back but there are no midi notes displayed in the timeline. I attached some screenshots.

Thank you!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cap1.jpg (50.0 KB, 651 views)
File Type: jpg cap2.jpg (41.2 KB, 579 views)
Old 06-08-2015, 02:02 PM   #4
foxAsteria

you're setting up receives for the group, not sends. if you're also trying to create audio sends to mix in reaper, that's a bit more complicated and you'll end up with 32 tracks. all that routing will be done in reaper's track io and each sound needs to send to an ext out (instead of sending to the group). and those audio tracks cannot be in the folder with the midi tracks.

it's better to learn how to do this stuff yourself, but if you can't figure it out i can create a template for you. you'll have to describe exactly what you want from it. it's actually easier for me to make you a template than explaining how reaper io routing works, but that's all in the manual if you wanna learn about it. hint: right click the maschine plugin and select one of the "build routing" options.

if you want to use multiple groups you need to use batch notes, otherwise you use up all your midi channels for a single group. you'll have to use another maschine plugin if you want to use multiple midi channels per group. basically, pads can be different notes in one midi channel or same note on different midi channels.

maschine needs to be in "midi mode" if you want it to output midi. on my maschine mikro it's Shift+f1. also note that with multiple maschine instances you can change which the hardware is controlling by hitting shift+f2. otherwise you will be recording to maschine's sequencer.

i highly recommend learning to use maschine in standalone, as the workflow is super fast for laying down a rough arrangement that you can later refine in reaper using track record: midi output to record the midi data into reaper while you playback your scenes in real time. one thing to keep in mind is that your routing that you do in maschine will be erased if you switch kits.

try the stash for images, i can't see anything in those tiny pics: https://stash.reaper.fm/ and post the last code option to the forum (for future reference).

Last edited by foxAsteria; 06-08-2015 at 02:25 PM.
foxAsteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 02:22 PM   #5
themixtape

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=130699

This is mainly for 1.8, but 2.0/2.3 should be very similar.... I really need to update the stuff... time-permitting...
Old 06-08-2015, 02:32 PM   #6
Johnnyvox

Quote:
you're setting up receives for the group, not sends. if you're also trying to create audio sends to mix in reaper, that's a bit more complicated and you'll end up with 32 tracks. all that routing will be done in reaper's track io and each sound needs to send to an ext out (instead of sending to the group). and those audio tracks cannot be in the folder with the midi tracks.

it's better to learn how to do this stuff yourself, but if you can't figure it out i can create a template for you. you'll have to describe exactly what you want from it. it's actually easier for me to make you a template than explaining how reaper io routing works, but that's all in the manual if you wanna learn about it. hint: right click the maschine plugin and select one of the "build routing" options.

if you want to use multiple groups you need to use batch notes, otherwise you use up all your midi channels for a single group. you'll have to use another maschine plugin if you want to use multiple midi channels per group. basically, pads can be different notes in one midi channel or same note on different midi channels.

maschine needs to be in "midi mode" if you want it to output midi. on my maschine mikro it's Shift+f1. also note that with multiple maschine instances you can change which the hardware is controlling by hitting shift+f2. otherwise you will be recording to maschine's sequencer.

i highly recommend learning to use maschine in standalone, as the workflow is super fast for laying down a rough arrangement that you can later refine in reaper using track record: midi output to record the midi data into reaper while you playback your scenes in real time. one thing to keep in mind is that your routing that you do in maschine will be erased if you switch kits.

try the stash for images, i can't see anything in those tiny pics: https://stash.reaper.fm/ and post the last code option to the forum (for future reference).
Yeah I'm sorry, I have no idea what I'm doing here haha. Back in my Pro Tools days I used to rewire Reason for electronic stuff and each midi track would control a different instrument in Reason. Basically I'd like it to work like that: bang out parts on the Maschine and have a midi track for Drums, synths etc on the Reaper timeline where I can actually see/edit the notes being played in the Reaper gui.

Seems like building tracks in standalone and recording midi into reaper after the fact might be a good way to go--but I can't figure out how to do that either (ha).
Old 06-08-2015, 02:57 PM   #7
foxAsteria

i'll get you a template to try later today. if you wanna try to get familiar with standalone mode while until i do that, it would be a good idea.
Old 06-08-2015, 03:02 PM   #8
Johnnyvox

Quote:
i'll get you a template to try later today. if you wanna try to get familiar with standalone mode while until i do that, it would be a good idea.
You're the best, thank you! If promise to pay it forward :-)
Old 06-08-2015, 10:30 PM   #9
foxAsteria

Default foxAsteria Maschine Template

Here you go. This is how I'm using Maschine these days (16 track MIDI sequencer). The way it works is explained in the project settings. Let me know how it goes.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aeysth1kih...plate.RPP?dl=0

Last edited by foxAsteria; 06-10-2015 at 04:44 PM.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:18 AM   #10
Johnnyvox

Quote:
Here you go. This is how I'm using Maschine these days (16 track MIDI sequencer). The way it works is explained in the project settings. Let me know how it goes.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/titkk5tmxa...plate.RPP?dl=0
This is awesome, thank you! Just to make sure I understand--Once you have your parts recorded in Maschine you're recording to the audio tracks (beats, subs, etc.) and using the audio files for further arranging?
Old 06-09-2015, 02:00 PM   #11
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyvox View Post
This is awesome, thank you! Just to make sure I understand--Once you have your parts recorded in Maschine you're recording to the audio tracks (beats, subs, etc.) and using the audio files for further arranging?
you're welcome, but nope, you'll be recording midi. so you get a rough arrangement using maschine and then use reaper to fine tune the notes and arrangement. the reason i use multiple instances of maschine is because loading kits resets your routing. so i use one instance (maschine control track) to sequence and route and then you can use that to control plugins on any of the 16 routed tracks. they all record midi output. you could potentially have 16 maschine plugins and feed them midi all from the same maschine sequencer. if you want more than 2 maschine groups, just copy (to preserve the same setup) one of the kit1 or kit 2 instances to one of the other child tracks and load a new kit. should be that easy (i think).

i think i do actually have it set up that the folder tracks will record audio output just cause that's sometimes useful too. but the child tracks all record midi output. lemme know how it works for you. it's a mod of my own maschine template, so i might not have tested it as completely.
Old 06-09-2015, 02:12 PM   #12
Johnnyvox

Quote:
you're welcome, but nope, you'll be recording midi. so you get a rough arrangement using maschine and then use reaper to fine tune the notes and arrangement. the reason i use multiple instances of maschine is because loading kits resets your routing. so i use one instance (maschine control track) to sequence and route and then you can use that to control plugins on any of the 16 routed tracks. they all record midi output. you could potentially have 16 maschine plugins and feed them midi all from the same maschine sequencer. if you want more than 2 maschine groups, just copy (to preserve the same setup) one of the kit1 or kit 2 instances to one of the other child tracks and load a new kit. should be that easy (i think).

i think i do actually have it set up that the folder tracks will record audio output just cause that's sometimes useful too. but the child tracks all record midi output. lemme know how it works for you. it's a mod of my own maschine template, so i might not have tested it as completely.
Interesting. When I record to the midi tracks I see "blocks" of data but no midi notes. What I've recorded in Maschine is still in the plugin instance, not on the track
Old 06-09-2015, 02:48 PM   #13
Johnnyvox

Quote:
Interesting. When I record to the midi tracks I see "blocks" of data but no midi notes. What I've recorded in Maschine is still in the plugin instance, not on the track
Nevermind, midi batch settings were wrong in Maschine. Got it working, thanks!
Old 06-09-2015, 03:58 PM   #14
foxAsteria

cool, keep me posted.
Old 06-10-2015, 04:08 PM   #15
Johnnyvox

Quote:
cool, keep me posted.
It's so weird, yesterday it was working fine and today--exact same template--I get the blank midi block instead of the notes recording into the timeline. Checked all the Maschine batch prefs and they are set to 'output to midi notes'.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
Old 06-10-2015, 04:28 PM   #16
foxAsteria

hard to say. if you can post a licecap (google landoleet if you don't have it), maybe i can spot something. best guess atm is either the tracks got set to record input or your maschine is in MIDI mode (SHIFT+F1, all buttons orange). or maybe you forgot to do the shift+f2 thing to choose the correct instance. that maschine control instance is the one outputting the midi, so if you are controlling one of the other ones, you won't have any MIDI showing up.

Also had a bit of a "duh" moment...you don't need to do the instance selection thing every time if you put the maschine control track below the other maschine tracks (but not in the same folder) and then save it again. that way it gets loaded last and becomes the default instance when you load the template.

I updated the file and replaced the link above, so try a fresh copy if nothing's working.

Last edited by foxAsteria; 06-10-2015 at 04:45 PM.
Old 06-10-2015, 05:08 PM   #17
Johnnyvox

Quote:
hard to say. if you can post a licecap (google landoleet if you don't have it), maybe i can spot something. best guess atm is either the tracks got set to record input or your maschine is in MIDI mode (SHIFT+F1, all buttons orange). or maybe you forgot to do the shift+f2 thing to choose the correct instance. that maschine control instance is the one outputting the midi, so if you are controlling one of the other ones, you won't have any MIDI showing up.

Also had a bit of a "duh" moment...you don't need to do the instance selection thing every time if you put the maschine control track below the other maschine tracks (but not in the same folder) and then save it again. that way it gets loaded last and becomes the default instance when you load the template.

I updated the file and replaced the link above, so try a fresh copy if nothing's working.
Cool I'll probably get a chance to try tomorrow
Old 06-11-2015, 06:36 AM   #18
Johnnyvox

Quote:
Cool I'll probably get a chance to try tomorrow
It's really weird--Definitely not in midi mode so that's not the issue. When I select "maschine conrol" as the instance it doesn't work. When I choose kit 1 as the instance I can see the midi notes but ONLY using your default Abbey Road kit. Once I switch to a new kit (I'm using one from the Neon Drive collection), I get the blank block again. Kit is set to "sounds to midi notes".
Old 06-11-2015, 03:17 PM   #19
foxAsteria

thought i had it working flawlessly but i guess not. maschine doesn't play well with daws, so it's a bit tricky. lot of people complaining about loading kits and having to redo all the routing...

ok try this: after you load your kit, do the batch to notes thing, shift+select all your sounds and set the midi output to host (ch 1 for kit 1, ch 2 for kit 2). if you don't know where to set the midi output, click the little knob icon above the plug icon and select the output and then midi tabs to the right of that. i swear this was not necessary before, but i guess i was wrong.

so to be clear, i have the maschine control plugin with batch midi and the kit plugins with batch notes. confusing, i know.

Last edited by foxAsteria; 06-11-2015 at 03:28 PM.
Old 06-11-2015, 03:44 PM   #20
Johnnyvox

Quote:
thought i had it working flawlessly but i guess not. maschine doesn't play well with daws, so it's a bit tricky. lot of people complaining about loading kits and having to redo all the routing...

ok try this: after you load your kit, do the batch to notes thing, shift+select all your sounds and set the midi output to host (ch 1 for kit 1, ch 2 for kit 2). if you don't know where to set the midi output, click the little knob icon above the plug icon and select the output and then midi tabs to the right of that. i swear this was not necessary before, but i guess i was wrong.

so to be clear, i have the maschine control plugin with batch midi and the kit plugins with batch notes. confusing, i know.
Ok I'll give that a try. Very frustrating because I just got done mixing/recording a rock EP in reaper and I love it. I'm used to linear songwriting so it's disappointing that it's so difficult to get maschine to integrate the way I want it to. Seems like this type of work flow would be something lots of songwriters are interested in :/
Old 06-17-2015, 03:59 PM   #21
foxAsteria

Ok been testing and here are the key steps when loading new kits*:
* Necessary every time loading a new kit
1*. Set Group to Batch MIDI Notes
2*. Select all Sounds in Group and set MIDI Sound Output to "Host"
3. Group MIDI Input needs to have "Active" and "Thru" On.
4. Check that Group MIDI Input Root Note is set correctly for the new kits (in my case "C3," which actually corresponds to "C4" in Reaper (but you can set MIDI preferences octave offset to -1 to match Maschine). They should be the same as the Controller Maschine Root Note (hold PAD MODE with GROUP selected, to check). This is something I just noticed, which has been confusing me a long time.

Last edited by foxAsteria; 06-17-2015 at 07:59 PM.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:08 AM   #22
Johnnyvox

Quote:
Ok been testing and here are the key steps when loading new kits*:
* Necessary every time loading a new kit
1*. Set Group to Batch MIDI Notes
2*. Select all Sounds in Group and set MIDI Sound Output to "Host"
3. Group MIDI Input needs to have "Active" and "Thru" On.
4. Check that Group MIDI Input Root Note is set correctly for the new kits (in my case "C3," which actually corresponds to "C4" in Reaper (but you can set MIDI preferences octave offset to -1 to match Maschine). They should be the same as the Controller Maschine Root Note (hold PAD MODE with GROUP selected, to check). This is something I just noticed, which has been confusing me a long time.
It works! However I have questions...

In this setup I have the controller set to the "maschine control" instance. In Reaper the sound is coming from "kit 1" track 5. So how do I set this up where I can have drum MIDI on one track, bass on another, lead on another, etc?

Right now everything I record goes to track 5 and I'm not sure how to route it from there. Thanks again for all your help!!!
Old 06-18-2015, 12:16 PM   #23
foxAsteria

Quote:
So how do I set this up where I can have drum MIDI on one track, bass on another, lead on another, etc?
That's how I had it set up. By holding SELECT on the controller and hitting a pad, you select which track to record to. You can put whatever plugins you want on the tracks named pad 3+. We're still talking about recording MIDI, right? It's easy enough to record as audio instead, once you've got the MIDI arranged and finalized. For that you just switch the Record:Output option for the track from the last (MIDI) to the first (Audio). Right click Reaper track Input to get those options.

I route everything through the Maschine Controller so I have the option to arrange in Maschine. If you don't plan on doing that ever, I'd probably suggest setting the tracks to record input instead of output and use the Maschine in MIDI mode (also need to activate monitoring for the tracks). It's less complicated that way, but arranging with the mouse is much less fun and interesting than arranging with Maschine on the fly.
Old 06-18-2015, 12:46 PM   #24
Johnnyvox

Quote:
That's how I had it set up. By holding SELECT on the controller and hitting a pad, you select which track to record to. You can put whatever plugins you want on the tracks named pad 3+. We're still talking about recording MIDI, right? It's easy enough to record as audio instead, once you've got the MIDI arranged and finalized. For that you just switch the Record:Output option for the track from the last (MIDI) to the first (Audio). Right click Reaper track Input to get those options.

I route everything through the Maschine Controller so I have the option to arrange in Maschine. If you don't plan on doing that ever, I'd probably suggest setting the tracks to record input instead of output and use the Maschine in MIDI mode (also need to activate monitoring for the tracks). It's less complicated that way, but arranging with the mouse is much less fun and interesting than arranging with Maschine on the fly.
Yep still talking midi. I tried the select + pad when you first gave me the template but it didn't work. I'll have to try it again.
Old 06-18-2015, 01:20 PM   #25
foxAsteria

Quote:
Yep still talking midi. I tried the select + pad when you first gave me the template but it didn't work. I'll have to try it again.
it should. it works here. needs to be in pad mode (SHIFT+PAD MODE). selecting pads that way is the same as clicking on the sounds in the control plugin. the only thing i can think of that might keep that from working for you when it works for me is if the pad mode root note is incorrect (you will either have no sound or every sound playing at once. if it's still not working, try maschine midi mode recording inputs instead of outputs. you can delete the control track if you do it that way.
Old 12-17-2016, 09:42 AM   #26
flue66e

Default Not working with Kontakt

First of all: this is a really great template you made here, foxasteria! it actually made me switch from logic to reaper!

one thing i don't get: when i try to use kontakt's studio drummer in one of the tracks (e.g. track 7), i can play the drum on maschine. but the midi's not being recorded. when i play, there is no red signal on the reaper track, that shows me that midi input to the channel exists. even though, i can hear it..

any suggestions?
flue66e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 07:37 PM   #27
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by flue66e View Post
any suggestions?
Hey thanks! Funny that you stumbled on this and found it useful, since the OP I made it for has long since given up trying to get it to work. It's really been a while since I used Maschine in this setup, but generally, you will probably need to record the MIDI output of the track instead of the input and the VSTi on the track must be set up to pass on the MIDI, which AFAIK Kontakt does not do by default. It's somewhere in the Kontakt options to allow that. Some VSTi "eat" MIDI and there's nothing you can do, but I'm fairly certain about that option in Kontakt.

When you're sending audio or MIDI from one track to another, it reaches the receiving track after the track input, so you need to record track output instead of input (right click Arm button and select "Record: Output (MIDI).
Old 12-18-2016, 04:28 AM   #28
flue66e

Yes! Inside Kontakt's plugin settings there's an option 'engine > Send MIDI to outside world'. If it's set to 'script generated notes', then reaper will record the midi notes played via Maschine. And as you said, oyu have to set record to 'midi output'.

But: somehoew the midi input doesn't match the output. E.g. when i play the kick (on Maschine on C3), i hear the kick. but after recording, the midi note is set on E1 in reaper and when played, Kontakt will play not the kick but another sample...
If i set 'midi to outside world' to 'incoming midi notes', the recorded notes are very long and also don't match to what i hit on maschine...

probably this has got nothing to do with your template but if you have any ideas, they're very welcome!

Last edited by flue66e; 12-18-2016 at 05:00 AM.
Old 12-18-2016, 06:59 AM   #29
grayter1

I've owned my Maschine for many years, and I haven't found a midi in/out solution that has worked without jumping through a ton of hoops, or having to reset a number of settings when the project is reloaded.

However, I love and still use it regularly. My approach is to make the patterns inside Maschine as a plugin in Reaper. When I get what I want, I build the multichannel outputs, and render each track as audio. This method gives me mono/stereo control of the channels/sounds - as I get to choose how it's rendered if the sample is, say, mono.

You can even render in bulk by highlighting/selecting the output tracks. I find that if I need to tweak something later, or create a fill, I just edit the audio.

This has saved me a lot of hair pulling. I use the same method with EZDrummer as well. It would have been nice if NI made the midi in/out thing easier, but I assume they prefer the user to do everything in their software.

tg
Mac Studio M1 MAX / 64GB / 2TB HD / macOS Ventura 13.6.3 / RME BabyFace Pro FS / SSL UF8 + UF1 + UC1 / Roland SYSTEM 8 / Kontrol S61 mk3 / Keylab 61 mkII / Komplete 14 / Omnisphere / Keyscape / Trilian / V Collection X / UVI Falcon

Last edited by grayter1; 12-18-2016 at 07:06 AM.
grayter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 12:58 PM   #30
foxAsteria

@flue66e

Did you look at the project notes on the template? Everything should be covered there or somewhere in this thread. But Maschine is a bit stupid about the base octave. The output defaults to C3 I think, while the input defaults to C1. In the Group MIDI input you have to change that dial to C3, or whichever low C is getting recorder. And to further confuse, I'm also pretty sure what Maschine calls C3 is C4 in Reaper but there's a Reaper pref you can use to match em up if you want...

I might have to create a new thread on my new Machine setup, cause I think it's a lot better than this one. I found it's far more convenient to have all my MIDI recorded to the main Maschine track, divided by channel, instead of every channel on a separate Reaper track.
Old 12-19-2016, 02:03 PM   #31
flue66e

yeah, i read the notes. I think the problem is within kontakt. somehow it messes up the midi before it sends it back to reaper again. but only when i play kontakt via maschine (not with a midi piano). so it must be something with the midi note mapping. and i don't get it where to change that (where is the 'group midi' you mentioned? in maschine?).

But anyway, if you have an even better template for maschine/reaper, i'd be very curious! this template was the best i ever had for my workflow. the only problem now is the thing with kontakt... anything else works.
Old 12-19-2016, 03:27 PM   #32
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by flue66e View Post
I think the problem is within kontakt. somehow it messes up the midi before it sends it back to reaper again. but only when i play kontakt via maschine
By that do you mean the timing of the notes? I probably forgot to mention that track PDC should be turned OFF when recording track output. PDC should only be used when monitoring input through Reaper. That could mess up your timing.

But I guess you probably mean the input notes vs output notes you mentioned. If it's only with Kontakt, perhaps there is a way to change the root note there, but I've always had to change Group MIDI Input from C1(default) to C3, but you can then save that as a template and loading new kits will still use those settings.

The Group MIDI Input for Maschine is here:

Sound MIDI Output:

Group MIDI Input and Sound MIDI Output are the ones to look at. Thru can create feedback loops, which Reaper will automatically silence for you in the background which creates lots of confusion, so I keep that off and just send each individual sound to the host instead. You will also need to right click every new kit and set to Batch Notes and not Batch MIDI Channels. This way each kit is on its own channel, sounds separated by note. If you have it set to MIDI Channels, all notes will be the same and each sound will be a different channel, which is not compatible with my template.

Glad you get some use out of my work. I'll post my new setup in the next couple weeks, thanks for the interest.
Old 12-29-2016, 09:09 AM   #33
flue66e

sorry for my late reply! i'm abroad at the moment but i will check out your suggestions as soon as possible! (and no, i don't mean the timing, it's something with midi in and out as you pointed out. and it's happening when i have kontakt as plugin directly in the reaper channel).