Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 03-22-2018, 08:07 AM   #1
rotobadger
Human being with feelings

Default New to Reaper-Need guidance on functionality

Hello to all. I’m brand new to this forum but have been reading through posts over the last few weeks. Quick background:

I was a radio production director and sound engineer back in the mid-80s through the late 90s. Started as an intern engineer at an (gasp!) analog 16 track recording studio. I also did professional voice over work, which is what I am thinking of getting back into. I have experience with some older non-linear editors such as SAW Pro, Pro Tools (late 90s) and, my favorite, Orban Audicy.

I’m easing back into the DAW and recording scene and realize things have changed since I was active.

I’ve been looking at software and have found Reaper to be comfortable and intuitive to use. So here are my questions:

First (and most importantly), is Reaper capable of ACCURATE audio scrubbing for editing with a control surface? Anyone who is familiar with the Orban Audicy will be familiar with how great it was with editing with a scrub wheel. I’d love to duplicate this functionality as I come from the old school “edit with your ears not your eyes” (although I do edit looking at the screen of course). Latency? Hesitation?

Secondly, control surface. I am considering a few options including the Mackie MCU Pro, the Behringer X Touch, and possibly the Presonus Faderport with the addition of a USB wheel (Griffin?) for scrubbing. I like the last option because it’s cheap!

Would love assignable keys so that I can preview/scrub, then cut with a button push, select waveforms, and move them around in addition to the standard stuff like transport controls, zoom, panning, faders, etc.

Again, most important: Is Reaper capable of accurately scrubbing audio with a control surface wheel. I’ve noticed, using my mouse, there is a bit of latency/delay. Not great for precise editing.

Also, I can go OSX or Windows. Either works.

Sorry for the lengthy post but I’m eager to hear from folks who are up to date on the latest and greatest.

Thanks for reading!
rotobadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 08:36 AM   #2
Judders

I can vouch for the Faderport, especially if you use the driver made by our forum users: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=170036

The Griffin seems to work well with REAPER (unfortunately this video doesn't show scrubbing):

If lag-free controls are of prime importance to you, I would suggest going with Windows, as there is a UI lag on Retina Macs.

Try REAPER on Windows and OS X to do a comparison of how snappy the UI is.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 07:20 AM   #3
rotobadger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
I can vouch for the Faderport, especially if you use the driver made by our forum users: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=170036

The Griffin seems to work well with REAPER (unfortunately this video doesn't show scrubbing):

If lag-free controls are of prime importance to you, I would suggest going with Windows, as there is a UI lag on Retina Macs.

Try REAPER on Windows and OS X to do a comparison of how snappy the UI is.
Thanks for the faderport thumbs up. It seems to have a lot of positive feedback from users.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:28 AM   #4
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotobadger View Post
Thanks for the faderport thumbs up. It seems to have a lot of positive feedback from users.
I've only had it for about 4 months, but I wouldn't want to be without it now. Even just having the transport controls is a big boon, having that instant visual feedback of the button lights for recording and automation modes, solo, mute etc... Something very satisfying about seeing that flying fader ramp up to unity when I open REAPER too
Old 03-24-2018, 12:56 PM   #5
rotobadger

Any other input or comments? I've searched a ton for hardware/software combos that allow for precise variable scrubbing for editing and come up with very little. I know this is somewhat old school but I think it's still viable.

Also, I'm still uncertain as to a control surface that allows me to assign keys for quick waveform editing.

Thanks!
Old 03-24-2018, 01:04 PM   #6
Judders

You can set custom actions with the FaderportXT driver. Any controller that transmits MIDI CC values can be set to launch actions.

Here is some more on scrubbing with mouse wheel or MIDI CC, but bare in mind that this is on Mac, so PC use should be a lot snappier (just for the record, I'm on Mac and happy, but I don't need this kind of editing functionality - even running Windows on Bootcamp will give much better GUI response):

https://reaperblog.net/2017/12/scrub-and-jog/
Old 03-24-2018, 02:38 PM   #7
rotobadger

Quote:
You can set custom actions with the FaderportXT driver. Any controller that transmits MIDI CC values can be set to launch actions.

Here is some more on scrubbing with mouse wheel or MIDI CC, but bare in mind that this is on Mac, so PC use should be a lot snappier (just for the record, I'm on Mac and happy, but I don't need this kind of editing functionality - even running Windows on Bootcamp will give much better GUI response):

https://reaperblog.net/2017/12/scrub-and-jog/
Judders: Thanks for the link. Interesting that PC should be snappier. I kinda thought it would be the Mac that was more responsive. Fortunately, I have both (2 MBPs that run both OSX and Windows 7 using Bootcamp) and an XPS 15 running Windows 10.

The only issue with the Faderport is that it doesn't appear to have dedicated buttons specifically for user defining. I think the Behringer X and the Mackie do (although they're obviously bigger and more expensive).

Trying not to get bogged down by "gear desire" and go with inexpensive but effective. The Behringer X looks to be around $350 on the market which is only roughly $125 or so more than the Faderport/Griffin wheel combo.

Still some reading and research to be done. The Korg nanoKontrol looks interesting but looks like it may be too cheaply built and low on functionality.

Also, the Mackie and the Behringer have Midi in and outs. I assume this would allow for direct midi hookup to use a keyboard controller with virtual synthesizers on the laptop?
Old 03-24-2018, 02:45 PM   #8
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotobadger View Post
Judders: Thanks for the link. Interesting that PC should be snappier. I kinda thought it would be the Mac that was more responsive. Fortunately, I have both (2 MBPs that run both OSX and Windows 7 using Bootcamp) and an XPS 15 running Windows 10.

The only issue with the Faderport is that it doesn't appear to have dedicated buttons specifically for user defining. I think the Behringer X and the Mackie do (although they're obviously bigger and more expensive).

Trying not to get bogged down by "gear desire" and go with inexpensive but effective. The Behringer X looks to be around $350 on the market which is only roughly $125 or so more than the Faderport/Griffin wheel combo.

Still some reading and research to be done. The Korg nanoKontrol looks interesting but looks like it may be too cheaply built and low on functionality.

Also, the Mackie and the Behringer have Midi in and outs. I assume this would allow for direct midi hookup to use a keyboard controller with virtual synthesizers on the laptop?
Read the FaderportXT thread I linked to - you can assign actions to buttons and the pan knob with it. Out of the box it isn't user definable, but with the drivers available here it is.

As well as the Faderport, I've got a Novation Launch Control, which is a very cheap but sturdy bank of 16 rotary encoders for controlling plugins (or whatever else can be controlled via MIDI CC, which is a lot).
Old 03-24-2018, 02:59 PM   #9
rotobadger

Quote:
Read the FaderportXT thread I linked to - you can assign actions to buttons and the pan knob with it. Out of the box it isn't user definable, but with the drivers available here it is.

As well as the Faderport, I've got a Novation Launch Control, which is a very cheap but sturdy bank of 16 rotary encoders for controlling plugins (or whatever else can be controlled via MIDI CC, which is a lot).
Oops...didn't reader the thread you linked. Doing that now...