Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 09-25-2017, 10:43 AM   #41
Sju
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
From our testing, and feedback here, it seems like the automation item chasing behavior is causing more problems than it is solving.

For the next build we are going to try something different. In "envelope bypassed outside of automation items" mode, by default, parameters will always return to the last value that was physically set by the user, as has been suggested a couple of times up-thread. The parameters will remain "live" outside of automation items, but any time you move a knob, that changes the baseline value that will be restored outside of automation items.

That way, automation items will act like somebody grabbing the parameter knob away from you, but giving it back to you in the state you left it. There will also be an option not to restore this baseline value, in which case automation items will act like somebody grabbing the parameter knob away from you and leaving it in whatever state they let go.

Well, damn. Thank you and hopefully it works out!

PS. ReaTune manual mode is showing an (almost) completely white background instead of the custom theme colors it used earlier. Bug?

Last edited by Sju; 09-25-2017 at 10:49 AM.
Sju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:54 AM   #42
mccrabney

Quote:
There will also be an option not to restore this baseline value, in which case automation items will act like somebody grabbing the parameter knob away from you and leaving it in whatever state they let go.
i was worried til i saw this last sentence. way to keep me reading to the end.

good physical example btw
mccrabney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:55 AM   #43
mpl

Schwa, sorry for my poor English, so what goes from your last answer?

Edit: I answer B
mpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:55 AM   #44
ferropop

Quote:
That way, automation items will act like somebody grabbing the parameter knob away from you, but giving it back to you in the state you left it. There will also be an option not to restore this baseline value, in which case automation items will act like somebody grabbing the parameter knob away from you and leaving it in whatever state they let go.
I'll throw it out there and if nobody else is latching (pun!) on to this idea then maybe I'm the weird one. But should there not be a mode where the parameter remains at whatever the last value was in the last AI? Like the AI swoops from 0 to 100, AI ends, value remains at 100 until changed by the next AI.

My whole point with this is having the "right-edgepoints" behaviour from the envelope lane retained, without the huge mess of actually having edgepoints. It's so clean this way, draw a Volume fade and it stays at the terminating value of your AI until it hits another one. When it hits that one, it follows it then remains at that terminating value. No envelope between AIs, just clean obvious behaviour.
ferropop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:04 AM   #45
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpl View Post
You will have the option of C (default) or A. Neither of which is timeline dependent, that is the important thing.

The problems with B have been illustrated up-thread by Mercado Negro and others. If you want the state of a plugin knob to change depending on where you click in between automation items, then effectively that knob is being automated and you shouldn't be using the automation-items-only mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferropop View Post
should there not be a mode where the parameter remains at whatever the last value was in the last AI? Like the AI swoops from 0 to 100, AI ends, value remains at 100 until changed by the next AI.
That is option A, which will be supported. But if you change the cursor position, or edit that automation item final value, the parameter will not change unless the cursor is within the automation item.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:23 AM   #46
mpl

Ok, nice. At least I can live with that.

Re: ReaPack/mpl_Insert 1 measure long automation item for last touched parameter
I expanded it to use with volume and pan envelopes by checking last action name. Should I deal with auto added AIs when set envelope active or you can turn it off?

Last edited by mpl; 09-25-2017 at 11:34 AM.
mpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 12:13 PM   #47
ferropop

Quote:
That is option A, which will be supported. But if you change the cursor position, or edit that automation item final value, the parameter will not change unless the cursor is within the automation item.
I'll literally buy a second license just to see the behaviour I described added as an option lol.

Like legitimately, in the form that people seem to be suggesting they want it, I don't think I'll use it. Yeah I'm just one guy but I just don't really get the purpose other than for live tweaking. We could have a clean automation lane that invisibly connects all the AI without having to involve the envelope and all its quirks. Want a little filter lift here? Bloop, lift it, keeps its value. No need to worry about edgepoints, screwing up previous automation, just draw what you want when you want it in these lovely enclosures.

I call it "Deterministic AI-Only Lane", or Option E
ferropop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:29 PM   #48
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mespotine View Post
I posted it into the thread of 5.50rc23 already, but I think, it's good to repost it with some more words than I used then
Hello! We appreciate your enthusiasm and feedback, but I don't think this is the appropriate place for it.

If you have specific bugs which are regressions in 5.60preX from 5.50, then you can post them here.

Otherwise -- they are possibly general bugs, I suggest that you go through your list, find the few things that are the most critical/most important to you, and make posts for them in the Bug Reports forum. Make each bug report simple and to the point ("watch this video with lots of bugs demonstrated in it" = bad).

Quote:
Bug 10: Similar to Bug 2 - When I have set automatic FadeIn/FadeOut, I zoom into the project, at split items, at some point of zoom-level, the fadeins/fadeouts become smaller than what I have set in the prefs.
That's a feature, automatic fades will never be larger than 1/4 (if I recall correctly) the screen width (same for "bug 2").
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote