Old 05-14-2017, 03:02 PM   #81
ferropop
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Randolph View Post
Isn't this what you want?

Is there another place to discuss this besides the pre-release thread?
I use this regularly, but it's barely functional without creating a bunch of problems. Notice how the Ableton paste is a perfect duplicate and doesn't interrupt anything around it? The Reaper paste is quirky right off the bat, creating a ramp between the end of the previous item and the paste. Try that same copy/paste, but delete some of the items and leave the automation -- the automation won't copy unless it's attached to items! Now try cutting little pieces out of the items and doing the copy/paste -- you'll get weird edgepoints between the cuts that screw up any smooth automation curves.

My whole point here -- Ableton paste creates an exact duplicate of the area in every single way. Literally identical. Reaper's (because it's item-based) is marred with issues and quirks and is barely usable without extreme caution.
ferropop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 06:41 PM   #82
Coachz

Can you devs please add time selection to: Actions: add action to reduce number of envelope points by half

Thanks very much.
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 04:20 AM   #83
Travesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferropop View Post
I use this regularly, but it's barely functional without creating a bunch of problems. Notice how the Ableton paste is a perfect duplicate and doesn't interrupt anything around it? The Reaper paste is quirky right off the bat, creating a ramp between the end of the previous item and the paste. Try that same copy/paste, but delete some of the items and leave the automation -- the automation won't copy unless it's attached to items! Now try cutting little pieces out of the items and doing the copy/paste -- you'll get weird edgepoints between the cuts that screw up any smooth automation curves.

My whole point here -- Ableton paste creates an exact duplicate of the area in every single way. Literally identical. Reaper's (because it's item-based) is marred with issues and quirks and is barely usable without extreme caution.
Area selection has been discussed many times, it's a separate request to AI. If you search feature requests you'll fine it
Travesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 05:41 AM   #84
ferropop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travesty View Post
Area selection has been discussed many times, it's a separate request to AI. If you search feature requests you'll fine it
Thanks Travesty, I realize - but this came from the idea of adding the option to "Encapsulate entire envelope track in AI". Like, make the whole thing into an automation item, that way it'll behave like the other items, and we're 3/4 of the way to proper area duplication
ferropop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 09:40 AM   #85
EpicSounds

Ran into some bugs during a skype call

Windows user using this pre

https://youtu.be/JjCV8I4bIn8

We couldn't get the LFO to correctly fill the item without a delay/sustained section.

https://youtu.be/VzIN6raekUs

duplicating or copying Automation item produces unexpected results.

Last edited by EpicSounds; 05-15-2017 at 09:52 AM.
EpicSounds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:17 AM   #86
Jack Winter

Who here sees the yellow flashing on os/x, and do you see it a lot or only occasionally?

Am curious to know to what extent there are these type of audio processing / backend problems?
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:07 AM   #87
dadek

On OS/X I've been seeing it a lot without knowing what it was. [No audio clicks or perceptible troubles in my sessions.] Using a pre-release, I just assumed it was a graphics glitch since it did not coincide with anything perceptibly wrong with any of my day to day music work.
dadek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 01:37 PM   #88
vanhaze

Thanx dadek, for chiming in on the yellow flashing issue.
I am "glad" i am not the only OSX user that experiences alot of flashing for no appearant, audible, reason.
Old 05-15-2017, 02:53 PM   #89
BenK-msx

just a quick automation item FR if i may -

it would be useful if by default reaper had a bunch of saved basic automation item 'presets' to choose from in a drop down list for example.

'fade' ins, outs, in various musical lengths.. etc. e.g commonly used stuff.

having to create/get a bunch of them from user(s) and install them yourself is less cool.
Old 05-15-2017, 03:42 PM   #90
Robert Randolph

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenK-msx View Post
just a quick automation item FR if i may -

it would be useful if by default reaper had a bunch of saved basic automation item 'presets' to choose from in a drop down list for example.

'fade' ins, outs, in various musical lengths.. etc. e.g commonly used stuff.

having to create/get a bunch of them from user(s) and install them yourself is less cool.
You can easily build this yourself, or someone else can. You can save/load automation items.

I don't think there's much of a need for the devs to do this.

It would be nice if you could manage AIs in the project bay though, with preview and all.
Robert Randolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 03:51 PM   #91
BenK-msx

am aware (@my last line).
i was doing just that squire and thought of new users having to do yet another 'set things up-themselves' routine when it's not really necessary..
plus atm saving and loading isn't to a specific folder and is generally 'high friction' unnecessarily.

i appreciate getting AI's funtional is the priority but the suggestion was a user friendly consideration when the time comes to polish.
Old 05-15-2017, 04:15 PM   #92
Robert Randolph

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenK-msx View Post
am aware (@my last line).
i was doing just that squire and thought of new users having to do yet another 'set things up-themselves' routine when it's not really necessary..
plus atm saving and loading isn't to a specific folder and is generally 'high friction' unnecessarily.

i appreciate getting AI's funtional is the priority but the suggestion was a user friendly consideration when the time comes to polish.
Perhaps instead it would make more sense to have actions that create the available shaped LFOs instantly as an AI. Maybe ones with the first point set to a specific default shape (but that's already very easy).

Fade-in/out is really just 2 clicks to make the AI then fade, I don't know how you could make that simpler.
Old 05-15-2017, 06:01 PM   #93
BenK-msx

thats certainly an idea, tho fade was but one example, to draw one/anything is a mouse move eye strain time user (hitpoints are small tbh anyone over 40 which will be me soon wants to avoid that!), to have 1 bar or 2bar fade or common shapes handy for pan or anything else ready to roll for all users is well within the realms of a sensible suggestion i thought.
i'm happy to create my own or nab someone elses, but that wasn't the point.

enough OT
Old 05-16-2017, 10:45 AM   #94
MinorKey

This is my first post of this sort here.
I guess I found a little bug. It's a really really basic one and actually it surprises me quite a lot. Hope this is the place to report it.
I have created a few track templates and I've stored them in their default directory. The problem is that they don't show up in the "Insert track from template" submenu when you right click a track. I see an item "(track template list)" right where my track templates should be. The same submenu in the main track menu (the one on the main menu bar) works just fine. I hope I'm not crazy. 😊
I don't know about other builds, but this bug is definitely present in the 64-bit version of 5.40.
I apologize for not testing the latest development build, but I'm still a beginner and thus I'm avoiding unstable builds - due to my limited skills I wouldn't be much of a tester anyway. ☺
MinorKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 12:01 PM   #95
run_esc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinorKey View Post
This is my first post of this sort here.
I guess I found a little bug. It's a really really basic one and actually it surprises me quite a lot. Hope this is the place to report it.
I have created a few track templates and I've stored them in their default directory. The problem is that they don't show up in the "Insert track from template" submenu when you right click a track. I see an item "(track template list)" right where my track templates should be. The same submenu in the main track menu (the one on the main menu bar) works just fine. I hope I'm not crazy. ��
I don't know about other builds, but this bug is definitely present in the 64-bit version of 5.40.
I apologize for not testing the latest development build, but I'm still a beginner and thus I'm avoiding unstable builds - due to my limited skills I wouldn't be much of a tester anyway. ☺
Hi MinorKey, generally the place to report bugs not directly to do with the latest beta build is in the bug report sub-forum.
http://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22

The pre-release forum is strictly for beta releases and issues directly related to what the devs are addressing in those beta releases.
run_esc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 12:17 PM   #96
MinorKey

Quote:
Originally Posted by run_esc View Post
Hi MinorKey, generally the place to report bugs not directly to do with the latest beta build is in the bug report sub-forum.
http://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22

The pre-release forum is strictly for beta releases and issues directly related to what the devs are addressing in those beta releases.
Many thanks, now I know. I should have looked better.
I'll post it in the correct forum as well just to report it just like I should have.
All the best and thanks again.
MinorKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 12:32 PM   #97
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
Can you devs please add time selection to: Actions: add action to reduce number of envelope points by half

Thanks very much.
Just had leg surgery so plenty of time to test this. :-)
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 03:14 AM   #98
Jack Winter

Regarding yellow flashing, what kind of latencies are you guys using?

On linux it seems much more prevalent on 64/128 samples buffer. I think there are occasions where there are some latency spikes in reaper's processing, still have isolate the circumstances where it happens. With 256 samples buffer the latency spikes seem small enough (normally 4-5ms) to not exceed the deadline.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Old 05-17-2017, 04:34 AM   #99
Robert Randolph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
Regarding yellow flashing, what kind of latencies are you guys using?

On linux it seems much more prevalent on 64/128 samples buffer. I think there are occasions where there are some latency spikes in reaper's processing, still have isolate the circumstances where it happens. With 256 samples buffer the latency spikes seem small enough (normally 4-5ms) to not exceed the deadline.
The buffer-size is irrelevant. If my project can play and record without any dropouts, then I don't need to know if there's a dropout otherwise.

I don't want to increase my overall latency when it's not needed, just to avoid getting a migraine because Reaper decides to flash wildly when I insert a plug-in (or any number of non-critical actions).
Old 05-17-2017, 04:42 AM   #100
Jack Winter

Quote:
The buffer-size is irrelevant. If my project can play and record without any dropouts, then I don't need to know if there's a dropout otherwise.

I don't want to increase my overall latency when it's not needed, just to avoid getting a migraine because Reaper decides to flash wildly when I insert a plug-in (or any number of non-critical actions).
That wasn't really the point! FWIW, the latest reaper for linux has an option to turn it on, so I'm pretty sure the next pre will solve your problem.

What I'm getting at is collecting some information from the people that see a lot of flashing, in order to figure out what goes wrong. Most likely these are bugs and ought to be squashed, even if you don't normally notice them, there is the possibility that they might show up at other occasions. IMO best to find them and to get rid of them completely..
Old 05-17-2017, 04:50 AM   #101
vanhaze

Thank you very much for your support regarding the insane yelllow flashing issue.

I use a buffer of 512, always.
I changed it to 1024, just to see if the flashing went less.
Not that i noticed ..
Old 05-17-2017, 05:29 AM   #102
Robert Randolph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
That wasn't really the point! FWIW, the latest reaper for linux has an option to turn it on, so I'm pretty sure the next pre will solve your problem.

What I'm getting at is collecting some information from the people that see a lot of flashing, in order to figure out what goes wrong. Most likely these are bugs and ought to be squashed, even if you don't normally notice them, there is the possibility that they might show up at other occasions. IMO best to find them and to get rid of them completely..
My point is that I think it's working as intended and there's nothing to fix. It seems like the flashing indicator is working as designed.

The problem is that not everyone cares about all dropouts, but some people might! For instance, if I'm working live then I absolutely care about dropouts inserting a plugin. If I'm mixing then I don't care at all.

It'd be insane to have a panel (and the associate code happening real-time) to optionally check off when dropouts should be monitored. It's basically an all-or-nothing sort of preference.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:41 AM   #103
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
Thank you very much for your support regarding the insane yelllow flashing issue.

I use a buffer of 512, always.
I changed it to 1024, just to see if the flashing went less.
Not that i noticed ..
Interesting, wonder why coreaudio would indicate dropouts at such a high setting.. Thought maybe it was limited to people using low buffer settings...
Old 05-17-2017, 05:44 AM   #104
Jack Winter

Quote:
My point is that I think it's working as intended and there's nothing to fix. It seems like the flashing indicator is working as designed.

The problem is that not everyone cares about all dropouts, but some people might! For instance, if I'm working live then I absolutely care about dropouts inserting a plugin. If I'm mixing then I don't care at all.
Yes it does work as intended, but that it flashes a lot all the time, probably indicates that something else isn't working as intended. What I'm interested in finding out if it's reaper being broken and in what way.

But probably a moot point now, since there is a report with it happening on os/x with 512/1024 samples buffer, so it's not only at low buffer sizes. I'd say barring some problem in that particular os/x install/hardware, there is definitely something off, unless it's could all be traced back to some broken plugins.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:42 AM   #105
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
duplicating or copying Automation item produces unexpected results.
I'm not sure what a preferable behavior would be. Here is what currently happens:

We could add an option for automation items to replace instead of layer, which would be similar to the existing option to trim content behind media items when editing.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 04:54 AM   #106
EvilDragon

That could help! And it should be the default, perhaps?
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 05:17 AM   #107
Robert Randolph

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
That could help! And it should be the default, perhaps?
I support this as the default behaviour... as long as there's an action/mouse-modifier to override it quickly when necessary.

I can't think of any times when I want the envelope to not be overwritten, but with AIs I can think of a few cases that I do.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:36 AM   #108
EpicSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
I'm not sure what a preferable behavior would be. Here is what currently happens:

We could add an option for automation items to replace instead of layer, which would be similar to the existing option to trim content behind media items when editing.
if they are layering, that actually gets sent to the plugin? top layer or the sum of all?
Old 05-18-2017, 08:11 AM   #109
Robert Randolph

Quote:
if they are layering, that actually gets sent to the plugin? top layer or the sum of all?

They are added (multiplied)... which leads to some unintuitive output sometimes.

See this report I made earlier in the thread: http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...9&postcount=21
Old 05-18-2017, 09:11 AM   #110
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
If layered, they are handled as two envelopes in series.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:14 PM   #111
airon

That's kinda cool.

Trim items. More complex shapes with simple components.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 08:02 AM   #112
musicbynumbers

Quote:
I support this as the default behaviour... as long as there's an action/mouse-modifier to override it quickly when necessary.

I can't think of any times when I want the envelope to not be overwritten, but with AIs I can think of a few cases that I do.
I agree with this.

There are definitely a lot of uses for all these AIs overlapping and adding together though so as long as that doesn't disappear and can be accessed easily that's great.

Or, what if we had the "mix behaviour" option for AIs (like we do for normal items) so we can decide what overlapping items should do?

Also, as long as the overlapping stuff is obvious to people new to reaper as it's quite useful for a lot of different areas of audio and would be a shame for it to be forgotten about