Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 05-28-2022, 09:07 AM   #1
TauTau
Human being with feelings

Default routing question for different routings

Hi all,

we use reaper live on stage (and in rehearsal) for various things (samples played, my guitar through NDSP and so on), also we use in-ear monitoring. So the routings are quite complex (different outputs for FOH, in-ear). Now when I take those songs home, I have a completetly different setup (way less outputs), and I can't hear te song, because tracks are routed to channels that don't exist at home.
Is there a quick and easy way to ignore the routing? Or maybe an easy way to set all tracks on "send to Master" (and disable again for Live)?
TauTau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 10:40 AM   #2
pepe44

Before doing any changes make a new save.
You can use the routing matrix (ALT + R) for faster routing. If you are not familiar to that make sure you play on a blank session first.
pepe44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 10:45 AM   #3
serr

Leave the extra buses dialed up. Mute something if you need to in one scenario or the other. If it's an output channel assignment thing, put up both/all outputs on your output buses and mute what you don't need if it gets in the way (ie that assignment would make sound where it shouldn't).
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 10:48 AM   #4
pepe44

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
Leave the extra buses dialed up. Mute something if you need to in one scenario or the other. If it's an output channel assignment thing, put up both/all outputs on your output buses and mute what you don't need if it gets in the way (ie that assignment would make sound where it shouldn't).
Too much routing cannot be very good for setups using lower buffer sizes. I imagine they are using input monitors for most tracks going into reaper
Old 05-28-2022, 10:51 AM   #5
pepe44

That reminded me of one feature request, feel free to add a +1 in there

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=267201
Old 05-28-2022, 11:04 AM   #6
serr

Yeah, if some complex routing needed for post breaks things for the live low latency needs that would be no go.

Perhaps a convenient cut/paste workflow could be arrived at? Paste the live session tracks into the 'post' session.
Old 05-28-2022, 12:37 PM   #7
TauTau

where we come from, is one huge song with all our songs in it... we want to switch to single songs, since we now have 25+ songs in one, and handling gets difficult... so, so far none of the responses answered anything I asked
Old 05-28-2022, 12:51 PM   #8
Reapology
Banned

Quote:
so far none of the responses answered anything I asked
So to solve..it really depends on if you are using hardware outputs,or regular asio outputs?
#IF regular,route from all channels audio to 1 track,make sure all channels are sending back to 1/2/master.
Send multichannel as bulk..use any low cpu plugin on upto 64track track,then reroute various channel pins back to 1/2?
Reapology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 12:59 PM   #9
TauTau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reapology View Post
So to solve..it really depends on if you are using hardware outputs,or regular asio outputs?
#IF regular,route from all channels audio to 1 track,make sure all channels are sending back to 1/2/master.
Send multichannel as bulk..use any low cpu plugin on upto 64track track,then reroute various channel pins back to 1/2?
I didn't understand everything of this But we are using hardware outputs, this (attachment) is our Click track for example
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2022-05-28 215931.png (26.8 KB, 49 views)
Old 05-28-2022, 01:24 PM   #10
domzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TauTau View Post
Now when I take those songs home, I have a completetly different setup (way less outputs), and I can't hear te song, because tracks are routed to channels that don't exist at home.
Is there a quick and easy way to ignore the routing? Or maybe an easy way to set all tracks on "send to Master" (and disable again for Live)?
are you saying you want to hear all the designated separate outs from your live rig through the main stereo pair on your home system?

Just set up alias channels & remap them (preferences / audio) in your home computer?

Last edited by domzy; 05-28-2022 at 02:23 PM.
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 02:27 PM   #11
TauTau

Quote:
Originally Posted by domzy View Post
are you saying you want to hear all the designated separate outs from your live rig through the main stereo pair on your home system?

Just set up alias channels & remap them (preferences / audio) in your home computer?
that sounds interesting, I have to read that up... any closer hints?
Background is, we work on songs in zoom sessions, and want to use the same file for live, but obviously need a different routing there vs. at home
Old 05-28-2022, 02:36 PM   #12
domzy

set up your system with the same number of (aliased) outs as the live rig but route them to whatever outs you want/ have / need.

It's a global thing, so you should only need to do it once & whenever you load one of your live projects at home, you're already good to go.
Old 05-28-2022, 02:41 PM   #13
serr

Quote:
where we come from, is one huge song with all our songs in it... we want to switch to single songs, since we now have 25+ songs in one, and handling gets difficult... so, so far none of the responses answered anything I asked
You asked about routing. I and others offered some suggestions around that. I tend to switch interfaces and aggregate device permutations of them regularly. Leaving the extra sends on my hardware output buses and unmuting the appropriate one is the fewest mouse clicks for me. Other times cut/pasting into a template session is the quick move. Reaper is convenient for that between tabs.

Advice on keeping multiple songs in a session vs splitting them out?
Drive that by needs. It might be convenient to have a tracking session of multiple songs in a project together initially. You might want to do the same initial moves dialing up drums, for example. When something gets in the way, 'save as' to a new project name for that one song and keep moving. For me that's usually the point where I'd have to dial up some automation to preserve settings to allow changing something for one of the songs. Nope! New project time.

Or... Is this one of those trick question things where the question changes every time?
Old 05-28-2022, 03:03 PM   #14
bigtop

You could try a portable install.

https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php#uz8w7lNtpOc

Duplicate your project

Put media items into new REAPER project

Set up as required

Save as a new project
Old 05-28-2022, 03:03 PM   #15
TauTau

Quote:
Or... Is this one of those trick question things where the question changes every time?
as in my initial question stated: The easiest way is probably to have a way to set "send to Main out" for all tracks (which is disabled on our live stuff, since audience doesn't want to hear the click track), and in the same way disable it again. That was our initial idea, and my hope was that someone in a similar situation has some better idea
Old 05-28-2022, 03:07 PM   #16
TauTau

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtop View Post
You could try a portable install.

https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php#uz8w7lNtpOc

Duplicate your project

Put media items into new REAPER project

Set up as required

Save as a new project
don't understand that... there's no difference if reaper is portable or not. Our second best idea was was anyway to have two versions of each Song, one with routing for live, one without. The main question is if there is a way to avoid that by having the routing easily configurable (and somewhat automated to prevent human errors)
Old 05-28-2022, 03:14 PM   #17
TauTau

Quote:
set up your system with the same number of (aliased) outs as the live rig but route them to whatever outs you want/ have / need.

It's a global thing, so you should only need to do it once & whenever you load one of your live projects at home, you're already good to go.
sounds interesting... where do I set up aliased outs?
Old 05-28-2022, 03:19 PM   #18
domzy

Quote:
sounds interesting... where do I set up aliased outs?
Quote:
(preferences / audio)
channel naming / mapping
Old 05-28-2022, 03:21 PM   #19
serr

Quote:
as in my initial question stated: The easiest way is probably to have a way to set "send to Main out" for all tracks (which is disabled on our live stuff, since audience doesn't want to hear the click track), and in the same way disable it again. That was our initial idea, and my hope was that someone in a similar situation has some better idea
If you're not already doing this, make multiple output buses. You should have have a FOH bus and then individual monitor buses. The drummer's bus can include the click track.

Then add another send to your FOH bus for the different output channels of the different interface you switch to back in the studio. Mute one or the other. One might assume you would have no interest in ever hearing the various personal monitor mixes back - so nothing to change there. Perhaps make a group mute for the monitor mixes if needed.
Old 05-28-2022, 03:34 PM   #20
TauTau

Quote:
If you're not already doing this, make multiple output buses. You should have have a FOH bus and then individual monitor buses. The drummer's bus can include the click track.

Then add another send to your FOH bus for the different output channels of the different interface you switch to back in the studio. Mute one or the other. One might assume you would have no interest in ever hearing the various personal monitor mixes back - so nothing to change there. Perhaps make a group mute for the monitor mixes if needed.
I thought about that also, though we have several (I think 8) tracks going to FOH so it's a bit more difficult. What I want to avoid at all cost is an error-prone setup, where I can miss changing a setting and therefore ruining a gig
Old 05-28-2022, 03:38 PM   #21
TauTau

Quote:
channel naming / mapping
maybe i miss it, but i don't see that option?
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2022-05-29 003858.png (46.0 KB, 40 views)
Old 05-28-2022, 03:43 PM   #22
domzy

maybe you're looking at preferences / audio / device instead of preferences / audio ?
Old 05-28-2022, 03:55 PM   #23
TauTau

Quote:
maybe you're looking at preferences / audio / device instead of preferences / audio ?
jup, found it... need to invest some time into that
Old 07-06-2022, 02:08 PM   #24
TauTau

so, I made a ton of aliases in the rehearsal room, and when at home I tried to export (save) them... only to find the list empty, because the device was not connected. do I really need to go back there, connect the device, just to be abe to export the aliases? And it doesn't give me a good feeling about loading the aliases on a different PC where the device also isn't available...
Old 07-06-2022, 02:31 PM   #25
domzy

i thought you'd said you want to listen to multiple outs from a single stereo pair on your home computer?
For example if you want the stereo pair on your home rig to play all 8 outs from another rig, then you would press "add" on your home PC and add 6 extra channels but you would have them routed to your main outs, you don't need to do anything on the other PC.
You don't need to connect the device, when the alias comes up as "not connected", you dbl click and that's where you set the name & output

or maybe i misunderstood all along
Old 07-06-2022, 02:44 PM   #26
TauTau

yes, that sounds about right... I need to eport the complicated routing in the rehearsal room (when I have the device connected) and then see what the import at home does with that
Old 07-06-2022, 02:51 PM   #27
domzy

Quote:
yes, that sounds about right... I need to eport the complicated routing in the rehearsal room (when I have the device connected) and then see what the import at home does with that
you've lost me a little, i've only ever used it to fool a specific computer into thinking it has the same outs as another computer so i've never had to think about import / export or complicated routing.
good luck with it though.
Old 07-06-2022, 05:42 PM   #28
ashcat_lt

I don’t think you need anything from your other rig except to know how many actual outputs it has. On the home machine, set up the aliasing to have that many available. Then it should just work…

…Except if any other actual routing or mixing happens outside of Reaper at the level of whatever stupid software your interface manufacturer sticks in the way. Then, well…good luck!
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 05:58 PM   #29
serr

I don't mean to dismiss any alias features Reaper has...
But I'm simple with this stuff.

You have a mix bus that gets a hardware output to go to FOH.
Then you have monitor output buses that go to their hardware output channels on the interface you use live.
All well and good.

Back in the home studio:
Do some channels on the studio interface get the monitor mixes?
Simply mute the monitor buses back home.

Does your home studio interface need a different channel pair for the main mix?
Simply add that channel pair to your mix bus.
Mute the one used live if needed.
Mute the studio output when you're out live if that's needed.
(Or those alternate outputs might not be connected to anything. In which case you need to do nothing.)
Old 07-07-2022, 12:56 AM   #30
TauTau

Quote:
You have a mix bus that gets a hardware output to go to FOH.
if it was that simple, I'd go that route But I have a lot of channels routed (separately) to FOH and the same to the InEar devices. All in all around 15 separate outputs, that's why I'm hesitant with the "mute" idea, it's easy to miss one