Old 06-26-2018, 04:54 AM   #1
siehorst
Human being with feelings

Default Project Sample Rate

Hi,
if I set my audiointerface to 48 Khz samplerate and tell reaper to use 44,1 Khz, will there be a conversion or will 44,1 be used as 'native'?
horst
siehorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 08:43 AM   #2
MRMJP

You should set them to be the same for best results and performance.

REAPER can resample recorded audio on the fly if the project or device is set to a different sample rate but why complicate things and stress out your system?
Old 06-26-2018, 08:52 AM   #3
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by siehorst View Post
Hi,
if I set my audiointerface to 48 Khz samplerate and tell reaper to use 44,1 Khz, will there be a conversion or will 44,1 be used as 'native'?
horst
The project sample rate will ask the card to change to the project sample rate. There are a number of different scenarios but the best plan is to set the card to what you use most often, set the project sample rate to match and any projects that use other sample rates via each project's settings will try to change the sample rate when the project loads. A caveat is if some other app or the OS is running an app that has the existing rate locked, that might fail.

Resampling on the fly is only related to audio files that are sample rate A when the project/card are running at sample rate B - this is obvious to see because the audio items will have a light blue ! on them.

All that being said, any sample rate or other changes you want when using Reaper should be done from within reaper (assuming ASIO), from within reapers audio device preferences and using the "ASIO configuration" button - the reason is this makes reaper the "owner" of the settings on the card - if Reaper is running and you try to change rates outside reaper it could potentially revert because it wasn't done "by" Reaper.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:04 AM   #4
siehorst

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRMJP View Post
... but why complicate things ...
That did others for me as they implemented 44,1 as standard for audio and 48 for video :-) .
I started to make videos in a bit more serious way and am looking for a workflow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
... but the best plan is to set the card to what you use most often, set the project sample rate to match and any projects that use other sample rates via each project's settings will try to change the sample rate when the project loads.
If I understood correct in my case I have to set the interface to 48 Khz for the video editor and let reaper change it automatically to 44,1 when project is loading.
That sounds easy!
Old 06-26-2018, 10:30 AM   #5
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by siehorst View Post

If I understood correct in my case I have to set the interface to 48 Khz for the video editor and let reaper change it automatically to 44,1 when project is loading.
That sounds easy!
It should provided the video editor isn't open and running when you launch reaper due to this part...

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic
A caveat is if some other app or the OS is running an app that has the existing rate locked, that might fail.
Old 06-26-2018, 11:12 AM   #6
siehorst

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
... the video editor isn't open and running when you launch reaper due to this part...
No, for sure not. With reaper I do all my audio stuff with the band.
If I need the audio for a video I render the project to wav ready to import that file to the video editor. Thus reaper and audio processing will be totally separated from the video.