Old 10-25-2011, 06:25 AM   #1
RetroDude
Human being with feelings

Default Does Reaper like the Zoom R16?

Just wondering. I love my little Zoom R16 and have been using it with Cubase but as time goes on, i'm finding Cubase getting bulkier and heavier with every upgrade. It seems Reaper does spectacularly good for it's size and less demanding on resources - does anybody know if it works with the Zoom R16?
RetroDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:55 AM   #2
Doodad

Yes, it does work with the ZOOM R16. I use my Zoom R16 primarily as an audio interface and control surface. I haven't used mine as a stand-alone multi-track recorder yet, but I'm planning to.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:02 AM   #3
tls11823

I also use my R16 as an audio interface and it works flawlessly. I had no problems getting it set up, and it just keeps working.

I bought the R16 to use as a stand-alone recorder, and used to use it that way extensively, but once I brought a laptop into the mix, I use it almost exclusively in interface mode. I have no complaints. It's really a nice little unit.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:40 AM   #4
HOFX

Are the faders on the R16 motorised?
HOFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:38 PM   #5
Doodad

No, the faders are not motorized. That is something that I would like, but, for now it's not a real issue with me.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:18 PM   #6
RetroDude

This is excellent news thanks for that!
RetroDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:40 PM   #7
cretaceous

I'm thinking of getting an R16..

I know the faders aren't motorised - so how does this work if you use it as a control surface - if you do a "mix take" and record fader movement and then decide to redo it.. do you basically have to start again?

For a mix it's not a big deal to redo, but I am thinking of wiring it up to FX parameters
cretaceous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:33 PM   #8
tls11823

Quote:
Originally Posted by cretaceous View Post
I'm thinking of getting an R16..

I know the faders aren't motorised - so how does this work if you use it as a control surface
In my opinion (and you know what they say about opinions), I don't think the Zoom R recorders are much good as control surfaces. There just aren't enough controls available to do much good - you still end up going for the keyboard or mouse quite a bit. They would probably be OK for tracking, since you probably don't need as many controls available. Plus, you have to keep track of the eight sets of controls and switch through the banks to get where you want to be. I keep my R16 on a separate table with the jack end towards me, so I can get to the volume controls for the headphones and the monitors. Other than that and plugging and unplugging cables, I rarely even touch the device.

When people ask me about the Zoom recorders, I say that I recommend them as stand-alone recorders or audio interfaces. But for anybody that's looking for a decent control surface, I suggest that they look elsewhere.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:32 PM   #9
cretaceous

yeah - what they say about opinions..!
anyone got the facts on this:
I'm trying to find out how the R16 works when you redo something
- since it doesn't have motorised faders, do you need to delete the old motion and start again?

otherwise I don't see how it can know where you want a new fader motion to apply over preexisting mixer movements (didn't seem worth starting a new thread)
Old 10-27-2011, 02:44 PM   #10
tls11823

Quote:
I'm trying to find out how the R16 works when you redo something
- since it doesn't have motorised faders, do you need to delete the old motion and start again?

otherwise I don't see how it can know where you want a new fader motion to apply over preexisting mixer movements (didn't seem worth starting a new thread)
Are you talking about using it as a standalone recorder or as a control surface?

If the former, it keeps track of the last position of the fader for each track. You can see and/or change it through the menus. So, if I set track 1 to a certain volume level, and then switch to track 9 (which shares its fader with track 1), moving the fader only affects what's on track 9. Track 1 keeps trucking with its previous value. If I then switch the bank back and move the fader, it affects track 1 but not track 9.

If you're using it as a control surface, moving the fader will affect whichever track is active for that fader in your DAW. Any automation you recorded previously, however, will remain unaffected until you instruct it otherwise.

If you have the volume for the track set at 40%, then switch banks and move the fader to 100%, and then switch back to the original bank and move the fader, as soon as you touch it, it will jump up to 100%, so you may have to move it quickly (or pause playback) to avoid liquidizing your eardrums. It's kind of an odd arrangement, but I guess the only way they could handle this sort of thing while keeping the cost low.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:55 PM   #11
cretaceous

ah, yes was referring to using it as a control surface
(so I can wire up faders to fx params)
I figured it would be worth trying out anyway
I take your point that it's a compromise - prime use would be for multitrack recording but I like to mess with things sonically afterwards

anyway thanks - now I understand how it would behave
Old 10-28-2011, 06:13 PM   #12
tls11823

Quote:
prime use would be for multitrack recording but I like to mess with things sonically afterwards
You can give it a try, but if you're like me, you'll find that the "messing around" is done more easily without using the Zoom.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:04 PM   #13
rodzroom

Default Use ASIO

I couldn't really find it anywhere, but you should choose ASIO as your audio system. I was getting good playback with DirectSound but recording via USB was FUBAR until I switched it to ASIO. Hopefully this is helpful to somebody like me who was pulling out his hair.
rodzroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:57 AM   #14
dug dog

I got better results on 2 different computer systems by using ASIO4ALL instead of the Zoom driver. It's worth taking a look at.
dug dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:48 AM   #15
Jimjamban

Am I correct to think that Reaper will control the 8 virtual tracks, not the 8 physical tracks that correspond to the sliders?

That the 8 Physical tracks can be operated independently, and in unison with the virtual tracks, as in interfacing the physical instruments to the DAW?

That the sliders in Reaper have no bearing on the physical sliders on the R16?

I will get the R16 on Wednesday, and hope to make use of it right away. I record a local band, and have gotten really nice results with a Zoom H2n, but only after many attempts at microphone placement, and recording method. I've reached the limitations of the recording device, and now want to progress the the limitations of the R16, which I hope are at a much better quality. I am sure that splitting up the instruments and microphones to separate tracks will allow me to have much better control of the overall sound. It will also let me add post processing filters to test effects before making them part of the mix.

This will be my first experience at having so much control of what I am doing. I am really excited to get started, so the heads-up by you guys who have already been there, done that is most welcomed.

Joe
Jimjamban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:38 PM   #16
tls11823

I've been using my R16 in audio interface mode with Reaper for over a year, but have only been using it to record a live band for a few weeks. Before that, it was all studio-type recording, generally laying down one track or a set of tracks (e.g.: drums) at a time. I'll share what I know, and invite others to chime in as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjamban View Post
Am I correct to think that Reaper will control the 8 virtual tracks, not the 8 physical tracks that correspond to the sliders?
I'm not sure what you mean by "virtual" tracks. When you're in standalone recording mode with the R16, the tracks can be reassigned to other than their direct inputs. That doesn't really translate to the audio interface mode. Essentially, you just create your eight tracks in Reaper and assign each one to a different input channel. Then you start recording.

Quote:
That the 8 Physical tracks can be operated independently, and in unison with the virtual tracks, as in interfacing the physical instruments to the DAW?
Again, maybe you can clarify what you mean by virtual tracks. As stated above, you assign inputs to tracks and then just work with everything within the confines of Reaper.

Quote:
That the sliders in Reaper have no bearing on the physical sliders on the R16?
If you enable control surface mode, you can use the physical sliders on the R16 to control the sliders in Reaper. If you move a slider in Reaper, that will "logically" move the slider on the R16, and you'll have to jiggle the physical slider to have it take effect. My advice is to not use the control surface mode and just control everything from within Reaper. The control surface mode is missing too much functionality to be really useful, in my opinion, and you end up reaching for your mouse or keyboard way too often.

Quote:
I will get the R16 on Wednesday, and hope to make use of it right away. I record a local band, and have gotten really nice results with a Zoom H2n, but only after many attempts at microphone placement, and recording method. I've reached the limitations of the recording device, and now want to progress the the limitations of the R16, which I hope are at a much better quality. I am sure that splitting up the instruments and microphones to separate tracks will allow me to have much better control of the overall sound. It will also let me add post processing filters to test effects before making them part of the mix.

This will be my first experience at having so much control of what I am doing. I am really excited to get started, so the heads-up by you guys who have already been there, done that is most welcomed.
I've always been very pleased by the results I've gotten with the R16 in a studio environment. But I was really impressed with the recordings I got recording a band, especially since it was less-than-ideal circumstances in a basement with us crowded around in a circle. I'm anxious to try it out in a better recording environment.

Until now, I've been quite happy with the eight inputs of the R16. But when you start recording a band, you eat those up pretty quickly. At this point I've had to give up stereo vocals coming out of the PA and stereo drum overheads, simply because I don't have the free channels. But other than that, the other band members have been quite pleased with the results I've gotten. I'm sure you'll do fine, although be prepared to play around with mic placement and some other things as you adjust the the room. Then enjoy recording and listening to your performances.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:30 PM   #17
Jimjamban

By virtual I meant that you could transfer source material recorded on one of the physical first 8 (Bank-1), to one of the memories that make up the other 8 tracks (Bank-2). Maybe I am way off on how I think the R16 works.
I would call the second bank, virtual tracks, not connected to the real world instruments. I think I will refrain from using the word virtual. I know that some more capable digital mixers can record 8 tracks wide, by 8 tracks deep. Giving them the title, 64 track recorders. I would have said that 8 are real tracks, and all the others are virtual tracks.
I looked through the manual that I downloaded, and it says that the tracks are handled in banks of 8. You can record the first 8, and then switch to the second bank, and record to 9 - 16. I only make the assumption that you could get direct control of all 16 if you used the DAW, but maybe I am wrong. This is a mini version of the 8 x 8 model that I saw demoed on YouTube. 8 will be enough for me, and the second bank might come in handy when I get more experience. The band only uses 5 tracks between the two guitars, drum machine, and two microphones.
Jimjamban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:41 AM   #18
neastguy

I installed the zoom usb driver for the r16.. and I have reaper.. can someone tell me the steps to get reaper to see it? I'm not sure I understand how it will work as a control unit.. will the sliders move on the screen when I move them on the r16 ect. ? total newb to using it as a control unit.. thanks....
neastguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:12 AM   #19
ugh

I bought me a Zoom R16 last weekend. Haven't been able to test it yet.

Anything I need to consider when installing it, that has not been posted in this thread ?

btw, how are the inputs and pre-amps, compared to let's say a Focusrite sound card (which I am using atm).
ugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:22 AM   #20
birdbrain

Default zoom r16 and keystation pro88 and reaper

Ive been messing around for a while now. Took me a couple sitdowns with the manual to figure out how to assign keystation knobs to control pans for seprate tracks. I wonder what to set up the 16 knobs, 8 sliders, and 16 buttons to control.
birdbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 03:17 PM   #21
germanocarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodad View Post
Yes, it does work with the ZOOM R16. I use my Zoom R16 primarily as an audio interface and control surface. I haven't used mine as a stand-alone multi-track recorder yet, but I'm planning to.
Hi,
I also have zoom r16. I bougth it froma friend.
Now, I have a problem: I can't find how to setup it! I'm a visually empaired person, so, I can't see the menu.
I downloaded drivers for windows 64 bit and installe on my pc.
Now, I turned on my zoom r16.
I pressed enter on r16 three times, and USB is active.
Now, in reaper, I selected zoom r16 asio driver, but I can't see inputs.
I tried to start recording, but it doesn't work. So, I believe I wrong something in setup my r16.
I have to learn how many time I must pres enter, or, if I must press some other key.
Can you help me?
germanocarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 12:04 PM   #22
dug dog

In Reaper Preferences>Audio>Device, did you enable the Zoom inputs?

You have to check the square box and then, in the dropdown menu boxes below it, you need to enable the first and last inputs.

Last edited by dug dog; 03-16-2018 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Addtional info
dug dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 04:29 PM   #23
LarryS

Default Trying to use Reaper 5.961 with Zoom R16

Hi, I'm a new user of Reaper,trying to use a Zoom R16 as a control surface with Reaper 5.961. I have the control surface faders moving the Reaper volume faders, however the actual recorded volume is unaffected by any setting. It operates the same whether I move the controls with the R16 or with the mouse.
I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the R16 or if I just need to configure something in Reaper.
Can someone give me some guidance on a proper setup to make the fader level control the volume.
Thanks in advance for your help.
LarryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 09:45 AM   #24
dixo

Hi LarryS,

I hope I understood your question correctly, if not, my apologies...

The faders in the Reaper mixer only control the playback volume of the already recorded tracks. And if you are using your R16 as a control surface, those are the faders that you are controlling: the playback volume.

The recording volume is not controlled by Reaper at all, but by the pre-amps of your R16. Use the grey knobs just above the LED meters on your R16 to set the recording volume.
dixo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 04:47 PM   #25
LarryS

Oh wow, thanks Dixo for the reply. As I said, I am new to this, and was thinking the faders would control the recorded volume. I truly appreciate the help.
LarryS is offline   Reply With Quote