Old 11-14-2018, 05:57 AM   #1
solarfall
Human being with feelings

Default MIDI Editor causes high CPU use

I got this strange issue where cpu suddenly jumps from 0% to 70% whenever i open a MIDI editor. I also get cracking and popping audio. Problem disappears when the window is closed. Happened when i was working with a client and it was pretty bad since i didn't manage to solve the problem.
solarfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 06:55 AM   #2
mccrabney

need substantially more info, what are your midi editor settings?
Old 11-14-2018, 07:09 AM   #3
EvilDragon

It's probably because of Preferences->Audio->Buffering->[ ] Allow on tracks with open MIDI editors (will increase MIDI preview latency)

being DISABLED. This means that whenever you select a track that has MIDI items on them, and you have a lot of things that track sends to (or receives from), all the sends/receives for that track will be shifted onto just one core, for the fastest possible MIDI preview. This disables anticipative processing, which is obviously going to push your CPU more, and once RT audio thread topples over, you get crackles.

Enable this option and tweak the render-ahead time for anticipative processing if you don't want the default 200 ms latency when previewing notes from MIDI editor.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 06:57 PM   #4
swiiscompos

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
It's probably because of Preferences->Audio->Buffering->[ ] Allow on tracks with open MIDI editors (will increase MIDI preview latency)

being DISABLED. This means that whenever you select a track that has MIDI items on them, and you have a lot of things that track sends to (or receives from), all the sends/receives for that track will be shifted onto just one core, for the fastest possible MIDI preview. This disables anticipative processing, which is obviously going to push your CPU more, and once RT audio thread topples over, you get crackles.

Enable this option and tweak the render-ahead time for anticipative processing if you don't want the default 200 ms latency when previewing notes from MIDI editor.
Thank you! I had this problem for a while and had no idea what could cause it.
swiiscompos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 11:00 AM   #5
SymboliC

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post

Thanks for the tip.

Probably this was the cause I was talking about when saying "Open MIDI Editor pushes CPU so hard" in another thread...

And about compensating this with "tweaking the render-ahead time", should I try to decrease it to a value until hearing cracks again?
Old 11-23-2018, 12:08 PM   #6
EvilDragon

No, tweaking look-ahead time is more about striking the balance between CPU utilization and how much latency you get when previewing notes in the MIDI editor.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote