Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 11-16-2018, 10:32 AM   #41
Bri1
Banned

lol-it's kinda funny-- when you buy otb--it's yours forever,todo as you please with,as a 'physical' product-
-buy itb--it's never really quite yours+there is nothing really tangible-or quite often,not resellable in any way shape or form.
sweet.
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 10:48 AM   #42
Tomm
Human being with feelings

yea I think that's where some of the attitude comes from... wasn't long ago that the only decent way to get into digital audio was a $10k protools setup

technology has changed drastically, but the older among us haven't kept up the pace maybe... now the new generations are spoiled because we've gotten so much for free... remember when you had to pay to have a frickin email account? now you can just use gmail, but sell a bit of your soul perhaps
Tomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 01:10 PM   #43
woogish

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnie View Post
Heya, @devs:

Why you decided to make Reaper Closed Source?

Cheers
Simple:
Capitalist Greed
woogish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 01:20 PM   #44
andyp24

Grow up.
andyp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 01:32 PM   #45
Bri1
Banned

lolz--anywayzzz.. i believe quite a big part of reaper for some folks is already open sourced-- sws>?
is it a crime that even though such sources exist--not many want to do the 'great work'?
what differences does it make to op wether it is__or__not?

there's many that say they can do the walk-talk the talk-- but really most is just squawk!

**edit tbch--the only question right now of any real importance or significance in this space might be = "is cockos part of the global elitist cabal or military complex?" > my guess would be .no.
have a good 'un!

Last edited by Bri1; 11-17-2018 at 01:47 PM. Reason: 1xtra!
Old 11-17-2018, 06:10 PM   #46
Jason Lyon

woogish:
If that was irony, then be aware that it doesn't often translate well to the internet.
If it wasn't, can I come and live in your house rent-free, eat the contents of your kitchen and use your car? Oh, and steal your music?
Jason Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 06:15 PM   #47
woogish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Lyon View Post
woogish:
If that was irony, then be aware that it doesn't often translate well to the internet.
If it wasn't, can I come and live in your house rent-free, eat the contents of your kitchen and use your car? Oh, and steal your music?
ABSOLUTELY!!!
And bring the Caravan with you!
Old 11-17-2018, 07:50 PM   #48
Jason Lyon

Ah well, as you wish... I believe in a fair day's pay for a fair day's work. And if you produce something that lots of people want to buy, where's the problem? That's not greed. In any event, if you don't earn anything how can you afford to be generous?

Oddly enough, I've just got back from doing a gig for net negative, but that's okay - the singer's a friend and she was in a last minute fix.
Old 11-17-2018, 11:48 PM   #49
woogish

Jason old chap - you and I are in perfect agreement!
Old 11-18-2018, 03:19 AM   #50
Bri1
Banned

lol@ woogish-such fun to be had!

+ lol@ if your getting 'paid' by a means of fiat currency then basically m8-you ain't getting paid.
there is an actual difference between 'money' and 'currency' - 1 is backed by a non_physical promise generated from 0-while the other is backed by an actual physical 'object' such as gold or silver.
how much gold or silver do you possess any1? demand it__or not.!

all this copyrighting and non sharing bollox is just that < bollox!
the real values and gold/silver is inside people. some share part of themselves as they produce 'things of interests'
Old 11-18-2018, 02:08 PM   #51
Aesis

With this amount of coding focus, are you making any actual music in Reaper?

Why is it open source... because they need to eat bread and want to be able to continue doing what they are doing without people stealing their work. That would be my best guess.
Aesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 03:36 PM   #52
Justin
Administrator

I've thought about this more, and the best answers to the OP's question are:

1) I'm a control freak, which is why we're so small (as a company) too
2) I'm terrible at dealing with other people and their code, so while I can manage taking patches for other open source projects like WDL/OSCII-bot/LICEcap etc, the reality is that these patches are few and far between, whereas I imagine if REAPER were open source there would be a *ton* of patches (see: reaper_sws and the tons of separate implementations of things shoved together). And dealing with that would not be my first choice.
3) Papa needs a new suit!
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 03:50 PM   #53
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesis View Post
ALL THE TIME
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 05:45 PM   #54
woogish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri1 View Post
lol@ woogish-such fun to be had!

+ lol@ if your getting 'paid' by a means of fiat currency then basically m8-you ain't getting paid.
there is an actual difference between 'money' and 'currency' - 1 is backed by a non_physical promise generated from 0-while the other is backed by an actual physical 'object' such as gold or silver.
how much gold or silver do you possess any1? demand it__or not.!

all this copyrighting and non sharing bollox is just that < bollox!
the real values and gold/silver is inside people. some share part of themselves as they produce 'things of interests'
WTF are you talking about? (but I guess you get that alot)

Last edited by woogish; 11-18-2018 at 05:54 PM.
Old 11-18-2018, 06:27 PM   #55
Bri1
Banned

heh-a little..
as quite a trusted source-good 'ol monty @ xiph. has an opinion about this too...seems to support op =dunno > https://www.xiph.org/about/
just read,please no weeping.
math/code is inherant to the fabric of time/space-- all is music/math/mind. =)
cockos make a really decent programme imo- they are doing a great job so far--although,it's also ok for the punters to crack a whip as well sometimes!...right guyz n girlz? .rock it.
Old 11-18-2018, 06:49 PM   #56
Ranga

For me,i don't need open source or any other programming things from REAPER. I just want make music. That's all i need. A gooooood workflow. And REAPER have it. So why i'm bothering about 'programming'
Ranga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 03:57 AM   #57
Jason Lyon

Bri1:

Since you're into economic philosophy, fractional reserve banking and such...

We live in a system based on fiat currency, so getting paid in fiat currency is getting paid. (Mind you, in my younger days I did play the occasional gig for a case of beer - not illegal, just barter. A favour for favour.)

It's true that cash doesn't equal wealth, but it's a convenient stand-in for it as long as the system doesn't collapse completely. Many investors hedge against the societal fear of that apocalyptic event by holding some tangible assets valued purely by their scarcity. It's regarded in the financial business as tradeable insurance. You hope you'll never have to use it.

Take gold for instance. It behaves just like any other asset - demand drives price. But it's not productive, it generates no income, it just sits there and gleams. In fact, it incurs costs to protect it. And most people make the same mistake as they do with other assets. They don't buy when the market's pessimistic and sell when the market's optimistic, so they invariably buy high and sell low.

In any event, if everything did hit the fan and all world currencies became worthless, your true wealth would be what it always has been - your skills and experience, your reputation.

Work usually involves a component of payment in the intangible - goodwill. That's also an asset, but it's not really transferable. Obviously doing a good job or pulling a freebie to help someone out is part of that. They might hire me again or even recommend me to others. But I can't go and buy food with a piece of paper saying I'm pretty good on the piano or I did a musician a favour.

As to copyright and such, well... I blog a lot of teaching stuff for free, and there's a panel on the side of the page advertising my books. I sometimes release music for free too. In both cases, if you can distribute it easily someone can pirate it easily. I've inevitably found parts of the books on the internet.

I'm sanguine about this stuff. Just take it as a compliment when people think I'm worth pirating. But I have occasionally chased people when they don't keep the credit or link back to the source to give me a chance to get something out of it. Since the only payment I'm asking for is reputational, I regard that as theft.

Wildly off-topic now... Sorry guys.
Old 11-19-2018, 09:55 AM   #58
Vindes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
I've thought about this more, and the best answers to the OP's question are:

1) I'm a control freak, which is why we're so small (as a company) too
2) I'm terrible at dealing with other people and their code, so while I can manage taking patches for other open source projects like WDL/OSCII-bot/LICEcap etc, the reality is that these patches are few and far between, whereas I imagine if REAPER were open source there would be a *ton* of patches (see: reaper_sws and the tons of separate implementations of things shoved together). And dealing with that would not be my first choice.
3) Papa needs a new suit!
Keep on whipping the llama's ass, my friend.
Vindes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 11:38 AM   #59
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
Since you're into economic philosophy, fractional reserve banking and such...

^heh- that's an assumption that's incorrect -- i've never actually liked the stuff from birth-just 'forced' to use it.
the greatest asset i know of in this reality is > love < without love,we close our connection to 'source'.
whatever cockos do is their choice--i think they make a product that is well worth the 'money' we share with them!

it might make a difference if the license agreements changed a little bit,or drastically-- in any event --i would still be making tones,some way,some how,for some time,because what i agreed to> works pretty dam bad ass!! woot.
cockos are smashing it technically now- as long they still have the passion (love) for product,then all is well. it's an open+closed case!

not so sure about schwa being any kind of musician?? -but j.f. seems to be quite a dedicated practitioner of many arts-- which is acknowledged,accepted and encouraged from this corner of the globe!
don't actually care wether this programme is open for modifcations by others,or not!
making music is the point really.

Last edited by Bri1; 11-19-2018 at 12:04 PM. Reason: 1xtra!
Old 11-20-2018, 06:16 AM   #60
DarrenH

Sure..right after you give up your salary and go to a "donation only" model ; )

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnie View Post
Heya, @devs:

Why you decided to make Reaper Closed Source?

Cheers
DarrenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 08:08 AM   #61
Jason Lyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri1 View Post
not so sure about schwa being any kind of musician?? -but j.f. seems to be quite a dedicated practitioner of many arts-- which is acknowledged,accepted and encouraged from this corner of the globe!
don't actually care wether this programme is open for modifcations by others,or not!
making music is the point really.
Hey, we're all multitaskers these days. It's good actually. Why shouldn't we be interested in and good at more than one thing?

Borodin was a chemist, Ives sold insurance, Elgar would probably have worked at Bletchley Park had he lived longer. Ruben Blades is a lawyer and former government minister, and Paderewski ran a country. As did the late King of Thailand, who was respected by and played with Benny Goodman - and not just because he was a king. Prokofiev beat Capablanca at chess a couple of times and Beethoven was a deft spot welder. One of those is made up.

Funny story - on a gig a while back, someone came up to me and asked me about myself. I said musician and journalist, among other things. Oh, so you interview bands? Actually no, mostly financial journalism. The light went out behind their eyes. I'd gone from hip cat to boring suit in the blink of an eye...

You are what you are, not what you do. And much as I love music, it's not my sole reason for breathing. Actually, I believe my music is better for it. I sometimes tell students to get interested in other things - music is about telling stories and you need some stories to tell.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:43 AM   #62
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
music is about telling stories and you need some stories to tell.

^heh-- yes.. so if your interested in a great story that mentions music (tablet 4) -would highly recommend the "emerald tablets of thoth"

^great source-now open.
Old 11-20-2018, 11:43 AM   #63
woogish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Lyon View Post
Hey, we're all multitaskers these days. It's good actually. Why shouldn't we be interested in and good at more than one thing?

Borodin was a chemist, Ives sold insurance, Elgar would probably have worked at Bletchley Park had he lived longer. Ruben Blades is a lawyer and former government minister, and Paderewski ran a country. As did the late King of Thailand, who was respected by and played with Benny Goodman - and not just because he was a king. Prokofiev beat Capablanca at chess a couple of times and Beethoven was a deft spot welder. One of those is made up.

Funny story - on a gig a while back, someone came up to me and asked me about myself. I said musician and journalist, among other things. Oh, so you interview bands? Actually no, mostly financial journalism. The light went out behind their eyes. I'd gone from hip cat to boring suit in the blink of an eye...

You are what you are, not what you do. And much as I love music, it's not my sole reason for breathing. Actually, I believe my music is better for it. I sometimes tell students to get interested in other things - music is about telling stories and you need some stories to tell.
Get yer facts straight, will you? It was Mozart who was a spot welder, NOT Beethoven! Sheesh!
Old 11-20-2018, 12:48 PM   #64
Jason Lyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by woogish View Post
Get yer facts straight, will you? It was Mozart who was a spot welder, NOT Beethoven! Sheesh!
Oops, my mistake. Beethoven was the neurosurgeon, wasn't he?
Old 11-20-2018, 01:17 PM   #65
Bri1
Banned

lolz-they were all,and all were they!! figure that out and your onto something!!!

slightly back on topic-- 1 place where i see a more 'open' approach is in the case of orphaned or abandoned softwares--code--patents-- > there is a plethora of instances 1 could name--but a notable exception would be the emu x3 sampling software.
this 1 sampler seems a solution reaper could massively benefit from... it appears to be abandoned? and it still has a few tiny glitches to iron out for modern systems-- but no doubt,if cockos actually aquired that maker's permission--would be da bomb for many,many users--for many many years to come..-it's a fantastically practical design imo.
Old 11-20-2018, 04:11 PM   #66
woogish

yup....
Old 11-21-2018, 12:18 PM   #67
vdubreeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenakios View Post
Incidentally, Tracktion's "Engine" just became open source. I haven't yet looked what it is possible to do with it, but seems interesting. Obviously various 3rd party bits like VST plugin hosting, ASIO, Elastique, Rewire etc require the developer using the engine to license them separately...

https://forum.juce.com/t/tracktion-e...n-source/30397

I thought this was interesting too. I was never a fan of Tracktion in use, although these days it's impossible to make a good call on any music software in a few hours. And not that I thought it was bad just that I'd check out demos and it was never special enough at what I wanted from a DAW more than what I was using at the time, which was ProTools then Reaper. I've read third hand reports of it being buggy and never quite ready for prime time in each successive release but have no idea if that was true or just squeaky wheels being the loudest. But as an open source engine for developers who do everything BUT a DAW engine, it's notable, I think.
Old 11-21-2018, 02:48 PM   #68
SymboliC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesis View Post
Good point.