Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 10-15-2018, 12:21 PM   #1
odelay
Human being with feelings

Default How to record, render (or freeze) a multiple-output VST instrument.

Hi there. I own a few multiple-output VSTi's (among them, Arturia Spark and Kontakt 5). My problems start when I wish to render (or freeze) the multiple outputs separately to different audio tracks all at once, from one or many different MIDI tracks. I have not found a way to do it straightaway. Maybe there is none. I do not know. Maybe Kenny should make a video tutorial on the subject.

The only workaround I've found so far is letting Reaper create all the outputs for the instrument and then set each track to "Record-Output". But last time I tried I found two options there. Recording "with latency compensation" or "without latency compensation". And that's when my jaw drops. Which one should I use? What results should I expect when using one option or the other?

I hope you guys can give me a hand on this subject. Thanks in advance.

Kind regards and greetings from Spain.
odelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 08:37 AM   #2
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by odelay View Post
... "Record-Output" ... Recording "with latency compensation" or "without latency compensation" ...
... Which one should I use? ...
You can find some info here:
Old 10-16-2018, 10:23 AM   #3
odelay

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
Thanks for your answer. I've read both threads and I think I'll have to re-read it again before I get it. From what I've read so far, I assume recording the output of a track only involves latency compensation when, for instance, you are recording from an external source (e.g. microphone or electric guitar) and you are either using an input FX or Output FX during the recording process. Am I right?

And what happens if I have one VST instrument which has multiple outputs and I have to record them to different tracks (for instance, Arturia Spark allows me to record separate tracks for each drum piece, FX send channels and such). In that case, I would set the different audio tracks to record Spark's different output. But from a VSTi... should I use latency compensation then, or not?

Thanks.
odelay is offline   Reply With Quote