Old 11-10-2018, 09:48 PM   #1
Clegs
Human being with feelings

Default Addictive Drum 2 hot levels in Reaper

I guess the is more AD-2 than Reaper related, but it involves a process in Reaper so...

My level coming out of AD-2 is so hot (in the + area by 4 or 5dB). I could keep the AD master in there I guess and pull down the level there, but normally I bypass the AD Master and go direct to indiv tracks in Reaper.

I have gone into the Midi drums and selected everything and pulled down the velosity there and on the AD-2 Master, but that seems like it shouldn't be necessary.

If anyone else has run into this and had concerns, I'd like to hear them and the solutions? Thanks.
Clegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:35 AM   #2
Juan D'Fall

I know it's probably not much help, but I have the same problem with EZDrummer2. They're way too hot, I have to turn them down in the VSTs own mixer every time. I also find that I can't control the peaks without compressing the life out the kick and snare. It plays havoc with the mixes. I haven't tried importing all the drums separately and re mixing them myself, that's probably more work than I need to do at my level. All I can think of is just turn them down in Addictive Drums VST (if it works the same way as EZDrummer, I've never tried it) or turn down the tracks in reaper.
Jim
Juan D'Fall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:48 AM   #3
Seldrums

I can't shed any light on why they might be hitting too hot, but one thing you could do is get the levels set where they aren't clipping, and save that instance as the preset default so that every time you open it, the levels are properly set and you can go from there.
Seldrums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 09:52 AM   #4
EpicSounds

Hey I did a video on this and released some scripts and jsfx on reapack to solve the issue!

Scripts for adjusting all the send levels of selected track
reaperblog_-3dB trim send levels on selected track.eel
reaperblog_+3dB trim send levels on selected track.eel

JSFX for adjusting the volume of many channels in the fx chain
ReaperBlog_Multichannel Volume Trim 2.jsfx
ReaperBlog_Multichannel Volume Trim.jsfx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mCqVlpIOHk

Old 11-11-2018, 11:10 AM   #5
Clegs

Good suggestions all, especially Jon's Blog video on using the Reaper JS:Multi-channel Vol 2 plugin, placed after the AD-2 midi FX on the track, to lower all 16 (or whatever number) of instrument/indiv drums at once. That's the way to go I think.

Also, it's my understanding that you have to leave the AD-2 Master track in AD-2 in the chain (at the output selection on each indiv AD-2 interal drum track) in order to retain all the AD-2 internal FX. Jon's method above would allow you to do this and retain the Master track and internal FX.
Clegs is offline   Reply With Quote