Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 11-11-2018, 12:53 PM   #1
lemerchand
Human being with feelings

Default "Insert New Virtual Instrument" Selection Window Loading Slowly

I'm sorry if this has a;ready been addressed, but i HAVE tried looking through the forum, reddit, google, etc about this problem. I've found lots of posts about VST issues upon STARTING Reaper, but that isn't my issue!

Reaper starts quickly enough, and the initial VST scan when loading causes no problems. However, when I tried to load a new virtual track Reaper goes into "Not Responding" for over 60 secs before the VST selection window appears. Doesn't sound like a long time, unless you are itching to get some idea out! After it loads, subsequent loading of the selection window is instantaneous. if I close Reaper, and restart it, it does it again (I add this because for some people's VST issues it seems issues are only once per day).

I've tried deleting the cache and re-scanning...doesn't help. I've tried updating the firmware for my two Samsung SSDs. No dice. Done some preference surfing but didn't seem to see anything applicable.

I have a i7 quadcore 3.50 ghrz, 16gb of ram, only SSDs. I am on Windows 10, running the most recent stable version of Reaper.
lemerchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 03:24 PM   #2
ivansc

Hi and welcome to the forums! Just to cross one possible cause off the list, try doing a full clear/rescan in Reaper VST plugin window.

It is feasible that reaper is still hanging in there with errors which it will generally find if you do a clear/rescan. EDIT: Bugger! You already tried that.

One other thing to check is to look and see if you have the date relating to the problem plugin in the plugin folder itself, which will definitely cause extra time on scanning, but not anything like what you are experiencing.
Can you say what plugin(s) you are having issues with? Might help.
Old 11-11-2018, 04:17 PM   #3
lemerchand

Thanks for the welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
One other thing to check is to look and see if you have the date relating to the problem plugin in the plugin folder itself, which will definitely cause extra time on scanning, but not anything like what you are experiencing.
Can you say what plugin(s) you are having issues with? Might help.
I don't recall there ever being a point when this was not the case. I have tried removing various VST folders to see if it helps (surprise, it doesn't!), but doing it one by one per plugin would take me ages. There also doesn't seem to be a problem plugin.
Old 11-12-2018, 04:54 AM   #4
ivansc

Aha! Are your paths to VST folders still showing the ones that you still have left? If you have forgotten to remove an obsolete path it COULD be that reaper is spending a while looking for that path, especially if it also expects to find some great big sample folder in there as well.

Worth a try just removing everything but (for example) C:\Program Files\VST Plugins from your Reaper list, just leave a few plugs without accompanying data folders in it, then clear/rescan and see if that affects the time taken to scan. Easy enough to try and it might give us a clue.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:22 AM   #5
lemerchand

Thanks so much for sticking with me!

Okay, so I cleared out all the directories from my old DAW (Sonar x3...yuck!) except the /Common Files/VST3. Then I cleared and re-scanned. No dice! I decided to try getting rid of THAT dir and leaving only the old Cakewalk ones. This didn't work either.

If it offers any clue: when I re-enabled all of the directories...I noticed a rescan of everything is actually faster (by about 25-30 secs) than when I try to insert a new virtual instrument (upon a restart of Reaper).

Then I thought, just for the sake of thoroughness, I'd delete ALL the directories. I re-scanned, and it still took ~60 secs to load the selection window. Ah, but I did notice something somewhat curious....the default set (not all of their plugins, or even the ones I installed manually there) of Cakewalk plugins was still in the list (it shouldn't be--I got rid of that path!) I don't know if that is a worthy insight or not. Personally, I'd like to just uninstall Sonar, but I have projects in there I don't wanna loose, and a lot of my VSTs are stored there (it irritatingly set itself up as the default VST path).