Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 12-08-2018, 07:54 AM   #1
andthatswhatsup
Human being with feelings

Default Rendering an edited track with a lot of fades and crossfades

Hi,

I have a few long audio tracks on reaper and I edited them quite extremely. They have a lot of splits with empty spaces in between items and with fades and crossfades as well.

My question is: if I file > render each individual soloed track in fast offline mode WITHOUT glueing/consolidating them before rendering, will it render them properly, in detail and won't lose any fades/crossfades? Won't it make any additional sound artifacts within the track due to a large amount of splits?

Is it okay to render with a fast offline mode and not do the slow online/offline rendering? I don't need to monitor anything, etc. And I was just wondering whether quick rendering renders everything in detail without missing anything or making it worse.

Thanks in advance
andthatswhatsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 10:51 AM   #2
ashcat_lt

It'll be fine in most cases. There are some plugins that that don't do well in offline renders, and I've heard (from others, never seen it myself) that sometimes midi can get weird somehow. For the most part, though, full speed offline will do the same thing as online render only faster. It can be faster because it can write to disk as soon as it's processed the sample block and then move on to the next rather than waiting for that block to play back first. It's not cutting any corners or skipping any steps. It's just that unless you've got a whole lot of plugs and are just slamming your CPU in realtime playback, the CPU spends a lot of time just waiting, and none of that is necessary if you're not listening to it.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 02:00 PM   #3
Tod

I've never had any problem with "Offline" rendering as long as everything is audio. However,
Rendering MIDI "Offline" can cause problems, so for safety, if I've got midi tracks involved
I always render with "On line render".
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote