Old 11-08-2006, 03:32 PM   #1
RokkD
Human being with feelings

Default Acoustic guitar....test 123

Just messin' around here with different set-ups, I'm using a Marshall 603s sdc pointed at the neck, and an sm57 up high about 30" away from the body, going into an Alesis Multimix 6. Fx in Reaper include a touch of Glaceverb, CH-1 chorus, EQ10, and the only nonfree fx Spectralive....oh, and some MB puncher (compressor).

I'd be seriously interested in what others use, tips, techniques, and what not.......I'd love to get my hands on some high end mics and preamps, but that ain't gonna happen anytime soon.

oh yeah!....and last but not least, my Yamaha FG140.....here's a short clip

da dada_crisp.mp3 - 0.41MB

--
RokkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 09:00 PM   #2
Magoostus

Default I like it

I didnt like it at first, but i ran it though har-bal and realized that this is a pretty darn good sample. excellent effects, it has this hypnotic smoothness to it.

har-bal'd version
http://www.gelder-eq.com/magoostus/dadada_crisp_eq.mp3
424KB

Last edited by Magoostus; 11-08-2006 at 09:02 PM. Reason: wrong url
Magoostus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 10:05 AM   #3
fluffy

I really like it, Rokk! I've pretty much hated almost every acoustic sound I ever got (of course I've pretty much hated EVERY sound I ever got ), so I won't go into my methods.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:39 PM   #4
TerryW

What preset did you use in Harbal Magoostus?
The sound is great! And also the great play of RokkD.
TerryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 08:03 PM   #5
Alistair S

I like the sound, too! My acoustic is away for re-fretting and some minor surgery right now, but it makes me impatient to get it back.

I also like Har-bal! I am pretty new to all of this and had never heard of it. It's now my new toy

Thanks!
Alistair S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 09:30 PM   #6
Magoostus

Default Flattened

i just used har-bal to flatten the eq curve, you can thank RokkD for mic setup and effects
Magoostus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 09:58 PM   #7
RokkD

Magoostus
Thanks for checking it out, well, everyone seems to like the Har-bal effect except me, it raised the mids drastically, centered around 1k......I dunno, maybe it's just me, I have a tendency to cut the mids perhaps a bit too much..

Hey Fluffy
I'm on a quest with this....still have aways to go, but I'm determined to get a good sound with the gear I have.
Thanks man..

TerryW
Thanks man, and btw thanks for VocEq Pro, I use it alot, It's in my default track fx..

Alistair
Thanks, yeah my guitar could use some work on it, frets and figerboard are getting a little worn..

--
Old 11-10-2006, 01:22 PM   #8
Alistair S

Just to be clear (because often I am not!), I'm not sure I prefer the Har-baled version either.

I like both samples, and which works best may depend on what else is in the mix, the song, etc.

It's like strings. Phosphor-bronze lose their brightness fairly fast - and when they do I am never sure if I am sorry or not. I switch between bronze and phosphor-bronze anyway.

The two samples sounded almost as if they had different strings to me - and both sounded good.

I do like Har-bal as a tool though. It is exactly the tool I needed, and I am learning from it already.

Let me add my thanks to TerryW - I love that VocEQ. I use it on everything pretty much!

P.S. Just got my guitar back - yay! It was a bit more than worn. It's 22 years old and has not always been treated with enough love, especially by my kids (one of whom "acquired" it for a while ). The main problem was that the neck had twisted slightly which made it like playing a cheesecutter in places.

So much more playable now!
Old 11-10-2006, 05:06 PM   #9
RokkD

Strings are definitely a big part of it, I reckon I've tried most of them, even tried a few sets from a music shop in London years ago that made their own, came in a plain envelope with no name, they were quite good... different, didn't last long though, but then, none of them keep that new strings sound for long, except the ones I've settled on now, and they're 'Elixir Nanoweb' I like 'em alot, and they stay fresh much much longer.

Just checked out the Har-bal site and grabbed the demo, but I'm a bit hesitant to try it, because if it's good I'll want to buy it.....but it's $95 .....hmm..that'll be something else to go on the list....hmm, very tempting though, I don't think I'll get through the weekend without trying it..

--
Old 11-11-2006, 01:47 AM   #10
Xaake

+1 on the elixir strings, they sound good even if you are not a professional. My little brother got a Martin D28 and his friends who are great musicians forbid him to change the stock strings since they are made for the guitar. To be honest I much more prefered the sound of my Yamaha FGX423SG with elixir nano strings. I finally managed to get my brother to make the switch to elixir, and he has never looked back, in fact he was about to sell his Martin before, now he loves it. And I must reluctantly agree that it sounds better than my guitar (but then again it should since it cost 3 times as much).

AMD Athlon-XP 3000+ @ 3200+, 1GB DDR-RAM, Presonus Inspire 1394, Edirol MA-15D

It is always good weather indoors!
Xaake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 05:33 AM   #11
Alistair S

Maybe I'll try some. I have been switching between D'Addario phosphor bronzes and Dean Markley Bronze (though I don't think they make them quite like they used to, so I am experimenting now that I have used my last set).
Old 11-11-2006, 05:40 AM   #12
olzzon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaake View Post
+1 on the elixir strings, they sound good even if you are not a professional. My little brother got a Martin D28 and his friends who are great musicians forbid him to change the stock strings since they are made for the guitar. To be honest I much more prefered the sound of my Yamaha FGX423SG with elixir nano strings. I finally managed to get my brother to make the switch to elixir, and he has never looked back, in fact he was about to sell his Martin before, now he loves it. And I must reluctantly agree that it sounds better than my guitar (but then again it should since it cost 3 times as much).
It is at least on of the most discussed strings.
Iīm not really into them, i tend to loose body with them. Andthe top end issomehow hyped.
This is ofcause my oppinion, i know alot people that swear to them, and i think one should try them for themself.
Iīm also more into Bronze than fosfor Bronze strings.
But at the end of the day, itīs the fingers that does the job
Old 11-11-2006, 05:51 AM   #13
olzzon

Regarding the acc micing.
I think it has alot to do with the purpose of the track.
The one you made was a very wide track, could be fine in a mix.
A more focused one could be your Marshall 603, a little further away, depending on the room you play in, and then spending time to find the right spot, some accoustics sounds best near the deck, gives a little more body, some around 12 fret. But i hardly ever point the mic toward the hole.
I think the secret to a great acc track is to find the spot where hardly any Eq is needed.
Thereīs an enourmous difference in sound depending where you place it, and the distance to the guit.
I do as you often mic on near the neck and one near the deck, using two B&K 4011 or some Neumann 184. But i think the placement is more important than the mic.
M/S is also cool, but then you need a good sounding room as the mics need to be a bit further away.

But as in the last post, in the end of the day, itīs your fingers that does the Job.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:22 PM   #14
hugeknot

Yeah I dig this!
The sound has a good blend of crispness and warmth together.

I also liked that file upload site... I might incorporate this into my musicians directory.

personally, I just use a large diaphram condensor around 20-30cm away and up from the soundhole, but toward to neck. I get some good signals, but I seem to lack the warmth or your sample.

Last edited by hugeknot; 11-13-2006 at 05:26 PM.
hugeknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 02:30 PM   #15
RokkD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaake View Post
I finally managed to get my brother to make the switch to elixir, and he has never looked back, in fact he was about to sell his Martin before, now he loves it.
I believe it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by olzzon
Regarding the acc micing.
I think it has alot to do with the purpose of the track.
The one you made was a very wide track, could be fine in a mix.
A more focused one could be your Marshall 603, a little further away, depending on the room you play in, and then spending time to find the right spot, some accoustics sounds best near the deck, gives a little more body, some around 12 fret. But i hardly ever point the mic toward the hole.
I think the secret to a great acc track is to find the spot where hardly any Eq is needed.
Thereīs an enourmous difference in sound depending where you place it, and the distance to the guit.
I do as you often mic on near the neck and one near the deck, using two B&K 4011 or some Neumann 184. But i think the placement is more important than the mic.
M/S is also cool, but then you need a good sounding room as the mics need to be a bit further away.

But as in the last post, in the end of the day, itīs your fingers that does the Job.
You're right olzzon, placement is key, inches can make quite a difference, especially with SDCs. What about input levels, do you have any advice for that (I'm using +4 in my soundcard mixer). Btw, I played the part twice, and panned each track 30-40% L and R, is that what you mean by wide..

hugeknot
I guess soundcards, preamps, levels, rooms, and what not can make a difference.

Upload site.....yeah nice, and no pop-ups..

--