Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 12-31-2010, 02:22 PM   #1
PitchSlap
Human being with feelings

Default v5: Consolidated Media Explorer Requests and Suggestions

v5 Media Explorer feature requests, brainstorming and discussion.
  • Make the Media Explorer part of the core program and/or expose API functions so extension creators can add features!

PITCH/TIME-STRETCHING

• MIDI transpose/Key-match. Auto detect the 'key' of a MIDI file (assuming Ionian or Aeolian) and auto transpose to the project key, allowing ANY MIDI file to be previewed on time, in context, and in key!
  • Pitch/transpose knob: Left-click increases by one semi-tone, right-click decrease by one semi-tone.
  • Independent dragging zones for semitones and cents
  • Tempo Match flexibility. The current half, 1 and 2x are fixed options, /2 and x2 are functions (which could just as easily be 0.25 or 8x while taking up the same UI space). DONE!
  • Option not to have tempo-match not applied to really short files (i.e. drum kits), or really long files.
  • Dropdown or context menu option to select the pitch/time-stretching algorithm as the material dependent limitations/strengths of different algorithms are really obvious with the more extreme stretching and pitch-shifting we can now do.
  • Option to not apply time-stretching to new files created from a selection (so the algorithm isn't baked in causing double processing if the tempo changes and to allow taking advantage of algorithm improvements).
  • Display playrate information in BPM format when the timebase is BPM (percentage is not as musically helpful).
  • When dragging onto the timeline, apply time-stretching to ghost so we can accurately place files. (example).
  • Playrate-based (don't preserve pitch) mode for stretching to fit (drums can easily turn to shite with any time-stretching algorithm).
  • When creating a new file from a selection, apply the Media Explorer pitch-shift value to the new item (non-destructive).
  • When tempo match is off, option to have pitch-shift not preserve length. See here
  • Checkbox to have 'stretch to fit' apply to the whole item or just the selection. For example this would allow selecting only 2 bars of a drum loop after it has been correctly stretched based on the whole loop. Especially useful with files for existing tempo information.
  • Option for MIDI keyboard input to change pitch-shift amount and also to start playback on MIDI keyboard input (so we can use the Media Explorer like a sampler, and quickly try new ideas).

FOLDERS / FILE BROWSER
  • Modifer-click columns to randomly sort (prevents browsing files in the same order every time, leading to more happy creative accidents.)
  • Create database from selected files/Create database from search results/Drag and drop files or search results to add to an existing database.
  • Tree-list for folder shortcuts and databases for improved organization. DONE!
  • Visually differentiate between shortcuts and databases, or separate into collapsible sections.
  • Drag and drop files and/or folders to add to databases. This would be MUCH faster than needing to manually browse for one folder at a time. DONE!
  • Ability to set a default 'home folder' (i.e. "C:\Sample Libraries").
  • Support for file shortcuts. DONE!
  • Metadata/tag support for media files (allow searching/filtering by file details [comments, genre, artist etc.] and also BWF Wav metadata.) DONE!
  • Right-click: Open current folder in Explorer (for things we can't do in the ME) DONE!
  • Right-click: Open file in primary/secondary external editor.
  • Sortable path and date added columns for databases.
  • Use the standard windows open dialog for adding database paths for the reasons described here)
  • Support for importing .m4a files.

WAVEFORM PREVIEW/AUDITIONING
  • Option to snap start/end point to zero-crossings to prevent clicks.
  • Start In Time (instant preview relative to playback position). DONE!
  • "Zoom to Selection" / "Zoom Out Full" actions
  • When tempo match is enabled, snap selection to beats (to easily audition 2 bars of a 4 bar drum loop etc.)
  • Precise numeric entry of selection range.
  • "Zoom to Selection" / "Zoom Out Full" actions DONE!
  • Increase/Decrease Peaks View Gain DONE!
  • Option to immediately start playback on the correct beat rather than having to wait for the bar start. This would allow much faster auditioning of many files while retaining the advantage of tempo match and start on bar.
  • Action to play and insert at playback cursor (assignable to MIDI or keyboard shortcut).
    (see: http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=3151)
  • Slipping the preview with Alt + drag so loops can be started at places other than the first beat, yet still loop. DONE!
  • Option to use last selected item/selection as source for track "draw a copy" (pencil) mouse action.
  • Tab/show/snap to transients in the waveform preview (optimally with sensitivity knob). (example)
  • L/R channel selection.
  • Action to select a random file in the current folder (no duplicates). This would be great for auditioning many samples in a folder, especially when it's the 50th time you've done so.
  • Routing to tracks, rather than just physical outputs. This would allow hearing the selection in the context of the song (track FX), and quickly previewing MIDI files through the desired VSTi. DONE!
  • When the project is playing and 'Start on bar' is enabled, clicking a new file continues playing the current file until the start of the bar. This is similar to 'smooth seeking'. (current behavior stops playback of the current file, leaving silence until the bar starts)
  • Scroll-bar with zooming capability.
  • Replicate the arrangement zoom speed with a modifier for the current behavior (fine-tuning). Drag-zooming does the trick. DONE!
  • Reverse playback.
  • Additional 'Start On Bar' flexibility. Perhaps a drop-down menu along the lines of the nudge dialog, so previews can start on beat and bar multiples.
  • Looping regardless of selection length. Currently Reaper with only loop sections of a certain length and will pause before the playback is restarted.
  • Actions to nudge preview playback by beats or bars for greater auditioning flexibility while retaining sync.
  • Allow the waveform preview to be fully collapsed and replaced by a thin bar to show playback position and allow selection (useful when re-sized to a low height).
  • Volume knob/handle on waveform preview (so we can more easily hear/see low level material).
  • Insert the media item at the volume it was previewed at. The volume slider sets the track gain, and the volume knob (requested above) sets the item volume. DONE!
  • Allow Media Explorer actions to be assigned to mouse-clicks with separate contexts depending on the selection. (see post #2)
  • Media Explorer specific .reapeak cache directory.
  • Allow recording Media Explorer playback to tracks when "play through selected track" and "record: output" settings are enabled.
  • Open file/selection in ReaSamplomatic http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=164960

DOCKING
  • Multiple instances of the Media Explorer for multiple dockers. Multiple explorers with a collapsible browser would allow us to stick a bunch of explorers in a docker set to our favorite folders. Being able to rename the instances (drums, fx, etc.) would be pretty helpful for telling them apart.

REX
  • Show/snap to individual slices of REX files. DONE!
  • Option to ignore embedded tempo information. Many professional sample libraries have incorrect tempo data which causes incorrect stretching.

Recently Added
  • Make the Media Explorer part of the core program and/or expose API functions so extension creators can add features!
  • Tree-list for folder shortcuts and databases for improved organization.
  • Open file/selection in ReaSamplomatic http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=164960
  • Option for MIDI keyboard input to change pitch-shift amount and also to start playback on MIDI keyboard input (so we can use the Media Explorer like a sampler, and quickly try new ideas).
  • Option to assign the pitch-shift amount to a MIDI CC.
  • Ability to Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Drag a selection (create new file) without stopping playback.
  • Waveform slipping with the ALT-modifier (like regular items). This is very helpful when "sampling" to loop a piece of source material in time with the track. It would also allow keeping "start on bar" enabled, but change what part of the sample is the start. The advantage being, we can simply drag a selection onto the grid and it will match what we heard while auditioning.
  • Path and date added columns for databases.
  • Allow recording Media Explorer playback to tracks when "play through selected track" and "record: output" settings are enabled.
  • When dragging onto the timeline, apply time-stretching to ghost so we can accurately place files.
  • Support for importing .m4a files.
  • When creating a new file from a selection, apply the Media Explorer pitch-shift value to the new item (non-destructive).
  • Option to not apply time-stretching to new files created from a selection.

Last edited by PitchSlap; 12-19-2020 at 04:53 AM.
PitchSlap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:18 AM   #2
DanXIV

With no selection:

Left click = play
First right click = stop
Second right click = Drag select (Let's put the right click menu elsewhere, above maybe?)
double click = select/unselect all

With a selection:

Left click outside selection = play
Left click inside selection = play from start of selection
First right click = stop
Second right click = Drag select/modify selection
double click = select/unselect all
Old 01-02-2011, 01:54 PM   #3
slops

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitchSlap View Post
  • Folder search (with sub-dirs option).
THIS.

all the other folder options you mentioned are good as well, but the filter box searching sub directories is the only thing i really want for the media explorer.

it would also be nice if using the filter box did NOT filter out directories in the results. so many times i type something, see no results, and then realize i'm in the wrong directory. i then have to erase the contents of the filter box, navigate to the correct directory, and then retype my search back into the filter box. its a bit of a workflow killer.
slops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:00 PM   #4
DanXIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by slops View Post
the filter box searching sub directories is the only thing i really want for the media explorer.
The filter box is not searching, it's filtering. We need a true search function.

See this post : Media Explorer - search function crippled

But I agree that not filtering the folders would be nice i.e. if you write something in the filter box you dont lose the folders.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:06 PM   #5
bennisixx

Quote:
v4 Media Explorer feature requests, brainstorming and discussion. If anyone has any other ideas, please add them below and I can organize them in to the list.

PITCH/TIME-STRETCHING

• Pitch/transpose knob.
  • Tempo Match flexibility. The current half, 1 and 2x are fixed options, /2 and x2 are functions (which could just as easily be 0.25 or 8x while taking up the same UI space).
  • Dropdown to select the pitch/time-stretching algorithm as the material dependent limitations/strengths of different algorithms are really obvious with the more extreme stretching we can now do.
  • Display playrate information in BPM format when the timebase is BPM (percentage is not as musically helpful).
  • Playrate-based (don't preserve pitch) mode for stretching to fit (drums can easily turn to shite with any time-stretching algorithm).
  • Checkbox to have 'stretch to fit' apply to the whole item or just the selection. For example this would allow selecting only 2 bars of a drum loop after it has been correctly stretched based on the whole loop. Especially useful with files for existing tempo information.

FOLDERS / FILE BROWSER
  • Folder search (with sub-dirs option).
  • Favorite folders reorganization/renaming.
  • Collapsible folder browser (for width challenged side-docking)
  • Metadata/tag support for media files (allow searching/filtering by file details [comments, genre, artist etc.]).
  • Right-click: Open current folder in Explorer (for things we can't do in the ME)

• Action to play and insert at playback cursor (assignable to MIDI or keyboard shortcut).
  • Tab/snap to transients in the waveform preview.
  • L/R channel selection.
  • Routing to tracks, rather than just physical outputs. This would allow hearing the selection in the context of the song (track FX), and quickly previewing MIDI files through the desired VSTi.
  • Replicate the arrangement zoom speed with a modifier for the current behavior (fine-tuning).
  • Reverse.
  • Additional 'Start On Bar' flexibility. Perhaps a drop-down menu along the lines of the nudge dialog, so previews can start on beat and bar multiples.
  • Looping regardless of selection length. Currently Reaper with only loop sections of a certain length and will pause before the playback is restarted.
  • Volume handle on waveform preview (so we can more easily see low level material).
  • Insert the media item at the volume it was previewed at.
  • Slipping the preview with Alt + drag so loops can be started at places other than the first beat, yet still loop.
  • Allow Media Explorer actions to be assigned to mouse-clicks with separate contexts depending on the selection. (see post #2)

DOCKING
  • Ability to make the Media Explorer thinner (for side docking).
  • Multiple instances of the Media Explorer for multiple dockers ("I got two Media Explorers and a microphone..." ).

REX
  • Show/snap to individual slices of REX files.
  • 'Gaps mode' for adapting REX files to the project tempo without applying any time-stretching.
2 media explorers and a microphone....hahahaha

just throwing it out there, your image gave me the idea.
how about auto slice on transients and an option to dump the hole sample "chopped" onto a track as separate items....we can already select 1 part at a time.
just sayin

ben
bennisixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:26 PM   #6
run, megalodon

No new ideas to add but I wouldn't want my gif to go to waste. I would love it if we could size down this far:

[IMG]http://img843.**************/img843/4756/smallexplorer.gif[/IMG]
run, megalodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:42 PM   #7
PitchSlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennisixx View Post
2 media explorers and a microphone....hahahaha

just throwing it out there, your image gave me the idea.
how about auto slice on transients and an option to dump the hole sample "chopped" onto a track as separate items....we can already select 1 part at a time.
just sayin

ben
Ok. I've updated the list and added a few new things...

As for this idea, I think its good, but might need to be thought through. It sounds almost exactly like Cubendo's 'detect hitpoint' function (if anyone who uses that DAW could LICEcap this function it would help).

I can see how showing transients would be useful for making selections (added above), but it would likely require a separate 'sensitivity' control for the media explorer transient detection. This could also be used for snapping to transients however...

Showing transients could be very useful, but personally I think a 'detect hitpoint' equivalent feature would be better for the actual splitting process (that way its not Media Explorer only).
Old 01-05-2011, 11:56 PM   #8
jm duchenne

Reminder and very important : multichannel files cannot actually be heard. Only the first two channels are routed to the output.
The best solution would be to route the preview output to the master to take advantage of the current routing.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:25 PM   #9
bitrate

I like the new tabs. When the docker is vertical the "!" doesn't seem to respond to clicking on it, but when it is horizontal, it's accessible.

Please make MIDI files preview-able in both Type 0 and 1. As it is now, it will read Type 1 but combines them where they all play simultaneously, which isn't helpful. Maybe a little drop down arrow to reveal the nested individual midi files?

Thank you!
bitrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 02:22 PM   #10
Evan

Quoting myself from this thread: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=71974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan
Seeing how much better the Media Explorer is getting in r4, I am still hesitating to use it because of the .reapeaks files it creates.

It has been discussed in the past and I'd like to bring it forward once more.

Media Explorer creates .reapeaks (cache) files on the files that are previewed, in the same directories as these files.

I am not very fond of that so the following options (or similar) would be useful to me:

1) Create the peak files in a specific centralized location.
2) Don't create peak files at all.

Please note I am not talking about project peak files, only about the media explorer!

Thanks
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 02:29 PM   #11
PitchSlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan View Post
Quoting myself from this thread: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=71974
I've ever come across this and use the Media Explorer constantly. I have an alternate .reapeak cache directory set and assume it uses that if it's creating them at all.

Try searching for "peak" in preferences and you should see the options if you don't have them set already...

-------
Nice to see we have a pitch knob now btw
Thanks Cockos!

Btw, I wonder if it would be useful to be able preview projects by clicking on the .rpp in the Media Explorer? The waveform display could show a project overview similar to the navigator etc. I would think that could cause some issues, but since we have PiP, I don't see why it wouldn't be doable.

Would anyone use this?

Last edited by PitchSlap; 01-08-2011 at 02:39 PM.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:41 PM   #12
Evan

Quote:
I've ever come across this and use the Media Explorer constantly. I have an alternate .reapeak cache directory set and assume it uses that if it's creating them at all.
Is this a global setting? Or specific to the Media Explorer?

Because what I want to do is keep each project's peak files along with the project (for portability+speed), but keep all the Media Explorer peak files in a specific place where I can delete them all in one go.

Can this be done now?
Old 01-08-2011, 03:02 PM   #13
PitchSlap

It's a global setting.

I have all my .reapeaks go to an alternative cache dir, and have never worried about 'portability' as it only takes a few seconds to rebuild them if they are deleted or missing. Keeps the project dir tidy too.

I'll add "Media Explorer specific peak cache dir" to the list though.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:03 PM   #14
musicroom

I want to have a scroll bar with zooming capability in the media explorer.

_
Old 01-08-2011, 03:53 PM   #15
nickmoritz

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicroom View Post
I want to have a scroll bar with zooming capability in the media explorer.
_
1. Right mouse click
2. Mouse scroll
Old 01-08-2011, 04:08 PM   #16
bennisixx

Quote:
Ok. I've updated the list and added a few new things...

As for this idea, I think its good, but might need to be thought through. It sounds almost exactly like Cubendo's 'detect hitpoint' function (if anyone who uses that DAW could LICEcap this function it would help).

I can see how showing transients would be useful for making selections (added above), but it would likely require a separate 'sensitivity' control for the media explorer transient detection. This could also be used for snapping to transients however...

Showing transients could be very useful, but personally I think a 'detect hitpoint' equivalent feature would be better for the actual splitting process (that way its not Media Explorer only).
of course I understand that this would require a ton of work, I'll post a gif anyway.
this would be hot shit for any drag n drop samplers as well as picking out more than a slice at a time
like this....

Old 01-08-2011, 05:18 PM   #17
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennisixx View Post
of course I understand that this would require a ton of work, I'll post a gif anyway.
this would be hot shit for any drag n drop samplers as well as picking out more than a slice at a time
like this....

[img]IMAGE REMOVED
Holy cow! what application is that?
Old 01-08-2011, 05:34 PM   #18
AgiReaper

Quote:
[*]Show/snap to individual slices of REX files.

[*]'Gaps mode' for adapting REX files to the project tempo without applying any time-stretching.
+1000!! Please....
AgiReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 06:20 PM   #19
bennisixx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
Holy cow! what application is that?
that is fxpansions new geist... just part of it
Old 01-08-2011, 06:41 PM   #20
musicroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmoritz View Post
1. Right mouse click
2. Mouse scroll
Are you saying we have this now? I tried what you posted with no results...

_
Old 01-08-2011, 07:06 PM   #21
PitchSlap

Geist is pretty crazy. It's also where I grabbed the image in the Rex section. I love how it can classify the hits into type (kick/snare/hihat/percussion etc) so you can keep the pattern and change the sounds.

Geist even has Ableton like Session View functionality FFS!

I'm thinking of getting an MPD just so I can use it properly.

Quote:
We can zoom by left-clicking and using the mouse wheel, but it's insanely sloooow and tedious for anything other than tiny files...

-----------------------
Btw, I just figured out its possible to do crazy stutter effects if you turn off 'start on bar' and hold down the left arrow key. I'm getting good at playing this thing. Can't wait till I can trigger onto the timeline.

I also had a cool idea for controlling the pitch shift via MIDI, that way you can make a selection (something with a sustained pitch), and play it like a multisample...

Last edited by PitchSlap; 01-08-2011 at 07:28 PM.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:20 PM   #22
bennisixx

Quote:
Geist is pretty crazy. It's also where I grabbed the image in the Rex section. I love how it can classify the hits into type (kick/snare/hihat/percussion etc) so you can keep the pattern and change the sounds.

Geist even has Ableton like Session View functionality FFS!

I'm thinking of getting an MPD just so I can use it properly.

We can zoom by left-clicking and using the mouse wheel, but it's insanely sloooow and tedious for anything other than tiny files...

quick OT to op
I have a mpd 24 and an mpc500-
the mpd pads are hard as rocks and a pain with double trigering and such. MPC500 on the other hand perfect pads. but only 12.
I also have had no luck linking the mmc transport on the mpd through geist.

Anyway back to reaper.
what ever ends up the media explorer is great.
the ability to crunch it to nothing in the docker would be great as said in the orig. post. its too big now.

thanks again all

ben
Old 01-09-2011, 07:29 PM   #23
nickmoritz

Quote:
Here:

[IMG]http://img833.**************/img833/79/mezoom.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-09-2011, 08:47 PM   #24
PitchSlap

Right-Click + hold.
That sure makes things easier. I wish I knew about that weeks ago!

The zoom is still pretty slow compared to the arrange though. The current speed would be better for fine-tuning IMO, and replicate the arrange zoom speed for getting around.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:16 PM   #25
Evan

FR: A compact horizontal scrollbar for the waveform zoom.

Can be very simplistic, mostly to show the zoom level and which part of the waveform we're looking at.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:53 PM   #26
jasman

Default right click "rename" option

It would be nice and make it more windows standard. I see it's been suggested in the past (non v4). I know one can wait and click again to rename, but why not give both options for those who have a preference either way.
James
jasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:56 PM   #27
PitchSlap

Quote:
FR: A compact horizontal scrollbar for the waveform zoom.

Can be very simplistic, mostly to show the zoom level and which part of the waveform we're looking at.
My laptop doesn't have a scroll-wheel, and there doesn't seem to be a way to zoom at all currently.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:38 AM   #28
Evan

One more thing, which has bugged me for a while...

Old 01-21-2011, 05:13 PM   #29
musicbynumbers

filter should be able to search within child folders!

you know that would unleash so much power!

Couldn't help myself sorry!
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:39 PM   #30
Evan

As good as the waveform preview is, and I love it, the Media Explorer could take less vertical space if that was removed. Optionally, when the Media Explorer height drops below a certain threshold. It could be replaced by a thin bar without a waveform, to still be able to see the playback cursor during preview.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:15 PM   #31
gwok

Quote:
As good as the waveform preview is, and I love it, the Media Explorer could take less vertical space if that was removed. Optionally, when the Media Explorer height drops below a certain threshold. It could be replaced by a thin bar without a waveform, to still be able to see the playback cursor during preview.
please no! (optional would be better?)
gwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:41 AM   #32
DanXIV

This would be usefull.

Thanks for this post Pitchslap, great job.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:08 PM   #33
PitchSlap

Alright, I think the list should be mostly up to date. I added requests for integration with bays, MIDI support for pitch-shifting, collapsing the waveform preview to a thin bar for selection and navigation, precise numeric entry of start and end loop points, and renaming of the multiple instances (so we could set and forget to our most used folders).

Thanks to the Devs for the recent improvements to buffering and start on bar. It makes a big difference...

Last edited by PitchSlap; 01-25-2011 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:12 PM   #34
gwok

how bout a dual view\split pane? Am i opening up a can of worms -
gwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:57 PM   #35
Evan

Quote:
[*]Allow the waveform preview to be fully collapsed and replaced by a thin bar to show playback position and allow selection.
Because I suggested that, I need to remind that this is useful when the Media Explorer is resized to a low height (e.g. useful when docked to the bottom). The waveform view is great, but it's also useful to have a small Media Explorer on certain occasions.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:12 PM   #36
sfzgeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanXIV View Post
This would be usefull.

I second that! Also, it would be great to have text entry for each of the fields, making sure to allow for the copy and paste of values too.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:28 AM   #37
moonfiremusic

Quote:
v4 Media Explorer feature requests, brainstorming and discussion. If anyone has any other ideas, please add them below and I can organize them in to the list.

PITCH/TIME-STRETCHING

• Pitch/transpose knob: MIDI SUPPORT. Left-click increases by one semi-tone, right-click decrease by one semi-tone.
  • Tempo Match flexibility. The current half, 1 and 2x are fixed options, /2 and x2 are functions (which could just as easily be 0.25 or 8x while taking up the same UI space).
  • Option not to have tempo-match not applied to really short files (i.e. drum kits), or really long files.
  • Dropdown to select the pitch/time-stretching algorithm as the material dependent limitations/strengths of different algorithms are really obvious with the more extreme stretching and pitch-shifting we can now do.

FOLDERS / FILE BROWSER
  • Folder search (with sub-dirs option).(example)
  • Favorite folders reorganization/renaming.
  • Integration with ReaBays.
  • Collapsible folder browser (for width challenged side-docking)
  • Metadata/tag support for media files (allow searching/filtering by file details [comments, genre, artist etc.]).
  • Right-click: Open current folder in Explorer (for things we can't do in the ME)

• Precise numeric entry of selection range.
  • Tab/show/snap to transients in the waveform preview (optimally with sensitivity knob). (example)
  • L/R channel selection.
  • Routing to tracks, rather than just physical outputs. This would allow hearing the selection in the context of the song (track FX), and quickly previewing MIDI files through the desired VSTi.
  • When the project is playing and 'Start on bar' is enabled, clicking a new file continues playing the current file until the start of the bar. This is similar to 'smooth seeking'. (current behavior stops playback of the current file, leaving silence until the bar starts)
  • Scroll-bar with zooming capability.
  • Replicate the arrangement zoom speed with a modifier for the current behavior (fine-tuning).
  • Reverse.
  • Allow the waveform preview to be fully collapsed and replaced by a thin bar to show playback position and allow selection (useful when re-sized to a low height).
  • Volume handle on waveform preview (so we can more easily see low level material).
  • Insert the media item at the volume it was previewed at.
  • Slipping the preview with Alt + drag so loops can be started at places other than the first beat, yet still loop.
  • Media Explorer specific .reapeak cache directory.

DOCKING
  • Ability to make the Media Explorer thinner for side docking.(example)
  • Multiple instances of the Media Explorer for multiple dockers ("I got two Media Explorers and a microphone..." ). Multiple explorers with collapsible browser would allow us to stick a bunch of explorers in a docker set to our favorite folders. Being able to rename the instances (drums, fx, etc.) would be pretty helpful for telling them apart.

REX
  • Show/snap to individual slices of REX files.
  • 'Gaps mode' for adapting REX files to the project tempo without applying any time-stretching.
Totally agree with these Thanks for posting!
moonfiremusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:57 AM   #38
PitchSlap

Thought of something else that would really help with auditioning...

In addition to the option of having the current file play until the start of the next bar (rather than immediately cutting it off) it would be great if the Media Explorer could immediately start playback of the new file at the correct position. (kind of like how we can now adjust the pitch and tempo match settings while retaining the current playback position)

For example, if I click on a new file on beat 3 of a bar, play the file immediately, but start playback from beat 3 in the loop rather than having silence until the start of the bar.

Currently when cycling through files it takes a long time because you can only audition one per bar. Having playback start immediately (but still correctly) would still provide the advantage of being able to hear the file in context but without waiting and time wasting.

Last edited by PitchSlap; 02-11-2011 at 02:06 AM.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:04 AM   #39
PitchSlap

Also when dragging and dropping from the Media Explorer to the timeline, it would be helpful if the ghosted preview was already tempo-matched, that way we can more accurately place the file. Currently it's only possible to place a file based on its start and not by its end.

Notice in this example how the ghost's ending overlaps until it's released:

Last edited by PitchSlap; 07-02-2011 at 02:49 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:01 AM   #40
foxAsteria

I couldn't see if this was mentioned or not, but the feature I wish was in the explorer most is simply the ability to automatically filter the listed items based on the track selection. In other words, the explorer would only show media items originating in the selected track(s) in this mode.

For this to work, i suppose newly created items would need to store some bit of info internally that tells reaper where it came from. Or Ctrl+Alt+Dragging items into the explorer could automatically create a track subfolder if one doesn't exist (but this would also have to be self-updating if the track name changes).

This would keep a large collection of project loops readily accessible and we would be still be free to name them however we like. We can use MIDI items on any MIDI track, which is great, but usually we will want to repeat them on the same track they were created on, so this feature would really simplify the process finding loops that we want to reuse other places in the arrangement.

I don't know if ghosted (globally editable) MIDI items are coming in v4 or not, but this would at least make my own makeshift ghosting system vastly more functional.