Human being with feelings

Is there a decent JS LUFS meter?
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 02:24 PM   #42
Jimmy James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
My racing go kart was built on this frame, and I'm sure you know what the little Honda SL70s were like. I kinda want one of those now that I'm remembering how fun that little bike was.

NICE! I use to race Karts. I was a 4 cycle guy.
Jimmy James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 02:34 PM   #43
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
This is approaching lufs limiter I had hoped existed but does no appear to yet. YOULEAN, get on it. He he thanks James !
As I incidently just came across it, 'loudness leveller' they say, rather pricey though...
https://www.soundradix.com/products/powair/
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:34 AM   #44
Coachz

I just found a plugin that seems to do what I want on vocals called trileveler. My goal is to just limit loud instruments and vocals that get out of the pocket/groove of the music without me having to ride volume faders and without losing fidelity from clipping.

trileveler
https://sonic.supermaailma.net/plugins
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:36 AM   #45
karbomusic

Quote:
I just found a plugin that seems to do what I want on vocals called trileveler. My goal is to just limit loud instruments and vocals that get out of the pocket/groove of the music without me having to ride volume faders and without losing fidelity from clipping.

trileveler
https://sonic.supermaailma.net/plugins
Check out Vola on that same page as well.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:41 AM   #46
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Check out Vola on that same page as well.
Thanks, yeah I installed it but haven't tried it yet. Looks interesting as well. Taming the vocals !!!
Old 08-14-2019, 08:47 AM   #47
nait

I wonder if some OTT compression on parts of your song would help too. It can do basically what you describe... upwards and downwards compression. I.e., it essentially tries to bring whatever you put it on to a more level volume... boosting the quiet parts, and taming the loud parts. You can experiment with it on individual tracks (what I do), as well as on your master, but I'm not very well versed in how well it works on the master. As long as you don't over do it, it can help a lot.

For example, if your vocals aren't very well balanced between being dominant and too quiet, it'll help bring them to a more constant level, which might in turn might impact both your long term and short term LUFS values. As an example, I found a bass in one song was hitting a little too quietly when it would dip below a certain frequency, and OTT really fixed that up.

Free OTT compressor: https://xferrecords.com/freeware/
I also thought this was a good tutorial on how to use OTT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALgJMmUNjPY The guy in the video is a bit of a weirdo, but it's easy to follow.
nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 09:03 AM   #48
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstooch View Post
I wonder if some OTT compression on parts of your song would help too. It can do basically what you describe... upwards and downwards compression. I.e., it essentially tries to bring whatever you put it on to a more level volume... boosting the quiet parts, and taming the loud parts. You can experiment with it on individual tracks (what I do), as well as on your master, but I'm not very well versed in how well it works on the master. As long as you don't over do it, it can help a lot.

For example, if your vocals aren't very well balanced between being dominant and too quiet, it'll help bring them to a more constant level, which might in turn might impact both your long term and short term LUFS values. As an example, I found a bass in one song was hitting a little too quietly when it would dip below a certain frequency, and OTT really fixed that up.

Free OTT compressor: https://xferrecords.com/freeware/
I also thought this was a good tutorial on how to use OTT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALgJMmUNjPY The guy in the video is a bit of a weirdo, but it's easy to follow.
Thanks. I'll have to check it out. My main need is for vocals, guitars, bass that are too dynamic and pop up and out of the mix. I have singers that have no mic technique so the kiss the mic for quiet or loud parts and I'm left automating volume to get it in the pocket. Same with guitars and bass parts.
Old 08-14-2019, 09:06 AM   #49
nait

Quote:
Thanks. I'll have to check it out. My main need is for vocals, guitars, bass that are too dynamic and pop up and out of the mix. I have singers that have no mic technique so the kiss the mic for quiet or loud parts and I'm left automating volume to get it in the pocket. Same with guitars and bass parts.
It really can be used on anything to bring parts to a constant level. I found it fairly easy to use, but I suppose, like any sort of processing, it can destroy a mix if not used right too... so check out a video or two on how to use it right.
nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 06:07 AM   #50
Valle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
I don’t really want to claim to have invented this technique, but it was immediately obvious to me like 20 years ago the first time I saw a plugin with the appropriate parameters and I never see anybody else talking about who didn’t get it from me.
Hehe ... talk about putting it modestly!

Well, either way, that (your) tip was the best I'v read in a very, very long time. See, I always loved ReaComp's versatility, but found it a little too rough around the edges. After your tip it suddenly grew to be a one hell of a tool. And I was like: NOW, WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT!
Old 08-15-2019, 09:24 AM   #51
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valle View Post
NOW, WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT!
Well I can’t speak for you specifically, but it a thing that can only really be done well in digital and has only really been useful relatively recently when we (I mean the industry at large) started to get actual working an reliable PDC.

So like it’s just not really on the radar of so many engineers who came up from analog, and they never talk about it in interview or YouTube tutorials, so it just hasn’t caught on. But also this mixing community is a very conservative bunch when it comes to tools and techniques. This is nothing like - actually pretty much the exact opposite of - those vintage and boutique boxes that everybody lusts after. It doesn’t work the same, it doesn’t sound the same. In fact, when done correctly it doesn’t sound like much of anything except more consistent.

So that’s just boring. It really is just a leveling tool that does essentially the same thing as the other dedicated plugins. I don’t see a point in paying for VocalRider or any of the rest of them when I have it right here.

Of course, I’m pretty sure broadcast radio has been doing something like this for decades, and like I said if you use shorter times and higher ratios you get basically whichever mastering limiter you choose to name. In fact it may have been the first of those lookahead limiters that led me down this road.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 09:43 AM   #52
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy James View Post
NICE! I use to race Karts. I was a 4 cycle guy.
By the time I sold it I had gone to a 5HP Briggs & Stratton. You could crouch down on the second engine mount, run the throttle with your finger and pop wheelies for blocks at a time.

As for the Sonic Anomaly plugins, they are top notch. I love the Leet Delay 2. It's one of my favorites of theirs.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:20 AM   #53
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
By the time I sold it I had gone to a 5HP Briggs & Stratton. You could crouch down on the second engine mount, run the throttle with your finger and pop wheelies for blocks at a time.

As for the Sonic Anomaly plugins, they are top notch. I love the Leet Delay 2. It's one of my favorites of theirs.
Wheelies are life !

Old 08-15-2019, 10:22 AM   #54
Glennbo

Quote:
Wheelies are life !
THAT, looks fun!
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 04:57 PM   #55
Jimmy James

Quote:
I have been experimenting with limiters and compressors and I can't seem to get the results I want. I am trying find a way to have uniform volume (in LUFS) while a track plays.

I have 2 tracks attached with large volume changes included in my link below. Usually I have to ride volume automation but I wondered if there are any plugins that can do it. Levelers/Compressors/Limiters ? For me to consider a result successful the tracks still need to keep their sound quality. Like I can crush the vocal and get it level but I want to keep the vocal open sounding and clear.

Thanks for any ideas.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1do...y_DZYU1SZL-yh0
Have you tried Waves Vocal Rider? I know this seems like a simple answer. But it seems to do exactly what you need
Jimmy James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 05:06 PM   #56
Coachz

Quote:
Have you tried Waves Vocal Rider? I know this seems like a simple answer. But it seems to do exactly what you need
thank you but I'm not a fan of the waves plugins in that shell mumbo jumbo. I'm actually incredibly pleased now with the Sonic anomaly plugins and actually use them onto tracks today with good success. If I remember correctly waves vocal Rider requires some setup also the Sonic anomaly ones are quite straightforward. Use whatever works
Old 08-16-2019, 10:12 PM   #57
TBProAudio

Quote:

Or DynaRide?