Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 03-22-2014, 05:42 AM   #1
marclar
Human being with feelings

Default focusrite scarlett 2i2 and reaper (clipping problem)

Alright i've bought scarlett 2i2 and i've set it up properly (installed drivers and in reaper turned it on in asio4all and yeah i have to use asio4all instead of asio on scarlett because of my PC 5.1 sound system, configured inputs etc...) but after half a minute or a minute playing with my guitar, clipping and crackling kicks in. At first (after 30 secs or 1 min can't tell exactly) it's just barely noticeable but each second it gets worse and worse until signal gets totally lost in clipping distortion.
It's not the standard clipping when you strum hard and go way over in red and it erupts in clipping. It's not that problem which I see people are having with this model. Before this clipping problem kicks in for 30 seconds, I can play normally on distortion no clipping, crackling, nothing of that sort. Also every time I turn it off and on it's like it resets... Again no crackling and clipping for 30 secs to 1 minute and after that hells breaks lose.
I've tried everything... Re-installing drivers, uninstalling line 6 UX 1 drivers (I've used that interface before this one and i didn't have any problems of this sort at all) turning off my on board (motherboard) inputs (microphone in, line in, digital in and physically unplugging something from those inputs) and problem is still there.
please help if you know the issue!
PS: I've tried WaveOut (the default driver reaper sets) and it didn't start clipping after half a minute but when i use Asio4All after 30 secs clipping kicks in and it's awful.

Last edited by marclar; 03-22-2014 at 06:53 AM.
marclar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 12:17 PM   #2
nolman

Buffer settings is always the first thing to look at.
nolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 04:12 PM   #3
marclar

Of course i've looked at buffer. If buffer was too low sound would immediately start to crack and clipping. Tried the buffer and that's not the problem.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:19 PM   #4
PitchSlap

I have the 2i4.

I was noticing substandard performance at times as well. What I found was that at higher buffer settings, which should be less taxing, the audio would crap out quite often, but it would work MUCH better at very low buffers.

I get much more solid performance, with the buffer at 128 or 256.

Also try using WASAPI (if on Win7 or up), or ASIO4ALL. WASAPI is great for me, and often ASIO4ALL drivers work better on a lot of cards than the manufacturer ones (since they are probably better coded as they have to work for all devices).

There is a Focusrite rep on the forum here, maybe he can chime in with some advice, you could also search previous Focusrite threads here to find his user name and send a PM.

Also as an aside, did you check the price difference for the 2i4? Getting 2 extra outputs, a built in MIDI interface and a few other internal advantages is probably worth the very small price difference. You might not need those things now, but changes are you will at some point in the future.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:28 PM   #5
chip mcdonald

I have an 8i6 with no problems.....
Old 03-22-2014, 08:13 PM   #6
ambient

Do you get this problem if you use the (latest) focusrite drivers?
ambient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:39 AM   #7
Gerry

I'm using the 2i4 which is basically the same with no problems at all.
Wndows 7 64Bit 4 Gb Ram

Old 03-23-2014, 11:17 AM   #8
marclar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitchSlap View Post
I have the 2i4.

I was noticing substandard performance at times as well. What I found was that at higher buffer settings, which should be less taxing, the audio would crap out quite often, but it would work MUCH better at very low buffers.

I get much more solid performance, with the buffer at 128 or 256.

Also try using WASAPI (if on Win7 or up), or ASIO4ALL. WASAPI is great for me, and often ASIO4ALL drivers work better on a lot of cards than the manufacturer ones (since they are probably better coded as they have to work for all devices).

There is a Focusrite rep on the forum here, maybe he can chime in with some advice, you could also search previous Focusrite threads here to find his user name and send a PM.

Also as an aside, did you check the price difference for the 2i4? Getting 2 extra outputs, a built in MIDI interface and a few other internal advantages is probably worth the very small price difference. You might not need those things now, but changes are you will at some point in the future.
i wrote in post that i'm using asio4all and that in that driver i'm having clipping problems after 30 secs or so... It's like everything is great and slowly it starts to degrade. My buffer is set at 256. I also said that i can't use products driver because i need to use my speakers with on board audio which is used with asio4all. It's just so annoying that it works good no clipping even if i strum superhard (yeah a bit of distortion kicks in because it's rather sensitive interface i can see unlike UX1 but no clipping) but after a while even if i lightly touch the strings it clips the s*** out of signal.
I really have no idea why is this happening. It ran perfectly good with line 6 UX1.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:42 PM   #9
Billy M

I know you said you don't want to use the Focusrite drivers because of your on-board audio - but i bet that's where your problem lies. Can't you just bypass your onboard audio and try the 2i2 interface with its intended driver? I used a 2i2 for a period of time last year and had no problems. I couldn't get as low of latency (without occasional crackling) with it as i can my Presonus Firestudio, but it performed well for me with its drivers.

"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." - Bill Hicks
Billy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:13 PM   #10
SamuelC

This Interface is a very bad interface

The latency on it is atrocious

You have to wonder, how in 2014 we are still dealing with any latency at all with the machines we have today.

I was looking for a USB interface ( for portability since I already have a 10 in 10 0ut Firewire interface on my Desktop) and no choice really it was either RME or Presonus and I ended up getting the RME.

Nothing comes close to low latency as the RME hardware.

On budget you have to go for the little Edirol's as they are rock solid and also have low latency.
SamuelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:47 PM   #11
Ferret King

I use the exact same interface (2i2) and I have no latency issues whatsoever.

I also agree about using focusrite's drivers. Also, do you have antivirus running or browser running? What OS do you run?
Old 03-24-2014, 12:08 AM   #12
InTone

I would also suggest you to use Scarlett's own drivers. I'm running 18i8 fine, I think it's a very good interface with good drivers. For some reason it seems to be picky about the USB ports it is using, for example I have to unplug every other USB device if I want to update the firmware but still it runs fine with other USB devices connected. My setup is simple stereo, not 5.1, and I don't have any experience about asio4all, but I'm guessing that is what's causing you trouble. I remember having similar issue long time ago when I had only onboard audio card, SoundBlaster maybe? Running the DPC Latency Checker may give you some clue what is happening in your system:

http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

You said that you are using asio4all because of the complex routing, but is it true that the Scarlett's own drivers can't do the thing? I mean, it has a lot of capability for complex routings.
InTone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:14 AM   #13
InTone

Also, I would suggest you to check this list of Focusrite's own audio optimisation tips. The most important is tip number 4, setting the processor scheduling to background services, which is precisely ASIO.
InTone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 05:32 AM   #14
marclar

Well problem should not exist in asio4all. I've used another interface (line 6 UX 1) this same way and it didn't give me any problems. My speakers are 3.5 mm and are not 1/4 mm. Also they're 1 plug 2 channels therefore i can't use products output. I can't bypass my onboard audio for this same reason.
I don't have any latency problems with this interface at all. It runs smoothly and after 30 secs it starts to crackle and it worsens each second. I tried buffer and other things but still problem lies and i have no idea why. I need interface to be used only as Input and i can do that with asio4all without having latency issues because other audio drivers suck. please do you know an answer to this problem if not I need to return this product and get another one then(before returning policy expires).
Old 03-24-2014, 07:05 AM   #15
marclar

I've tried every sample rate feasible with buffer from 256 - 512 (doing higher buffer then 512 makes no sense because it's too laggy then) higher buffer and lower sample rate just prolong the time interval before it starts to crack into abyss. Tried turning everything off that doesn't need to be on, i've tried uninstalling and installing drivers both Asio4all and products driver but still to no avail. Why the hell is this happening at all?
Old 03-24-2014, 07:30 AM   #16
Gerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by marclar View Post
I've tried every sample rate feasible with buffer from 256 - 512 (doing higher buffer then 512 makes no sense because it's too laggy then) higher buffer and lower sample rate just prolong the time interval before it starts to crack into abyss. Tried turning everything off that doesn't need to be on, i've tried uninstalling and installing drivers both Asio4all and products driver but still to no avail. Why the hell is this happening at all?
What do Focusrite support say? Assuming you have contacted them.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:35 AM   #17
marclar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
What do Focusrite support say? Assuming you have contacted them.
Still nothing i've contacted them on Friday and received reply email on saturday about my cpu etc and since then nothng.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:17 AM   #18
Gerry

Quote:
Still nothing i've contacted them on Friday and received reply email on saturday about my cpu etc and since then nothng.

Give them a couple of days and with luck they will come up with so solutions.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:09 AM   #19
marclar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
Give them a couple of days and with luck they will come up with so solutions.
But i don't have days... i need fast answers because i can't work with this and all album production is halted because of this. I need to know now whether it's possible to fix it or to get another interface.
PS: Also because of return policy i don't have eternity to be able to get full refund.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:55 AM   #20
Billy M

Have you tried posting your problem at the Focusrite forums? There may be other 2i2 owners who were/are in the same situation and can possibly help faster. I dealt with Focusrite support on a few occasions, and i must say that they were really helpful.

Quote:
But i don't have days... i need fast answers because i can't work with this and all album production is halted because of this. I need to know now whether it's possible to fix it or to get another interface.
PS: Also because of return policy i don't have eternity to be able to get full refund.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:11 AM   #21
DarkStar

Quote:
PS: Also because of return policy I don't have eternity to be able to get full refund.
In that case, go back to whatever audio interface you were using before and return the Scarlett to see if you can get a refund.

Or, phone them (or a distributor) up (depending on where you are): you can contact us directly on:+44 1494 462246
Old 03-24-2014, 11:27 AM   #22
marclar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
In that case, go back to whatever audio interface you were using before and return the Scarlett to see if you can get a refund.

Or, phone them (or a distributor) up (depending on where you are): you can contact us directly on:+44 1494 462246
well i've returned and they took it as RMA they'll see if somethings wrong... Are you a focusrite support team?
Old 03-24-2014, 04:51 PM   #23
DarkStar

Nope.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:23 AM   #24
ivansc

Held off posting till I saw you had returned the 2i2, as I didn`t want to inject negativity BEFORE a solution is found.
I had all kinds of problems with the 2i4, seems like it is a crapshoot depending on your particular hardware configuration as to whether or not the i series works.
Which is a shame. I used a Saffire6 for ages with an Intel Core duo lappy with NO issues, upgraded to an i5 and could never get either the saffire or its replacement - a scarlett 2i4 - working right.
RME Babyface fixed everything - at a price.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:04 AM   #25
marclar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Held off posting till I saw you had returned the 2i2, as I didn`t want to inject negativity BEFORE a solution is found.
I had all kinds of problems with the 2i4, seems like it is a crapshoot depending on your particular hardware configuration as to whether or not the i series works.
Which is a shame. I used a Saffire6 for ages with an Intel Core duo lappy with NO issues, upgraded to an i5 and could never get either the saffire or its replacement - a scarlett 2i4 - working right.
RME Babyface fixed everything - at a price.
I returned it (they took it in as "broken" and sent it to service) and now waiting for them to see what's the problem and call me back.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:51 AM   #26
ivansc

Please be sure and let us know how you get on.
I am not at all a Focusrite basher - still happily using two of their Octopres - but there does seem to be a lot of people having issues with their USB devices.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:44 PM   #27
rvman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Please be sure and let us know how you get on.
I am not at all a Focusrite basher - still happily using two of their Octopres - but there does seem to be a lot of people having issues with their USB devices.
Yeah I noticed. It's not just one company either. I wonder if its a windows 8 issue with new drivers.

I'm torn between Focusrite or Presonus.
rvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:46 PM   #28
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvman View Post
I'm torn between Focusrite or Presonus.
Presonus does NOT have a tech or rep that visits this forum. Focusrite does. That is service above and beyond, IMHO.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:19 AM   #29
ivansc

FWIW I had no problems with Win7 and Focusrite until I "upgraded" to an i5.
I am still convinced this is an issue between the i series, implementation of USB 1 AND 2 in relation to the i`s and focusrites not-too-good software writing abilities.

In my particular case I had really good performance from the Saffire 6 USB1.1 under win7 64bit using my original Core Duo laptop.
The ONLY thing that changed was the laptop itself, even down to both of the lappies involved being from Acer.

I tried all combinations of Win7 and Win8 both 32 bit and 64 bit and got nowhere with the Saffire6 OR the replacement Scarlett 2i4.

It really wasn`t for want of trying both on my part and Focusrite tech support, who gave it a really good effort to no avail.

I really hope there is a solution somewhere, as the interfaces are good, but there does seem to be an issue with certain combinations of hardware and the USB drivers here.
Interesting that a bunch of people are able to run the same basic harware/software combination I & others struggled with at great latency & no problems.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:47 AM   #30
rvman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffsounds View Post
Presonus does NOT have a tech or rep that visits this forum. Focusrite does. That is service above and beyond, IMHO.
I appreciate that VERY MUCH, but it doesn't matter if there is a real problem with the drvers, software, etc.

I like the Focusrite hardware better than the Presonus.

Seems most folks here are working with windows 7 machines while I'm running windows 8.
rvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:18 AM   #31
Serenitynow

Are there any known problems with i5 processors and USB audio interfaces?

I have an i5 and have problems with my L6 KB37. I've read some more things to try so I'm still working on it.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:46 AM   #32
David@Focusrite

Hi Marclar

Sorry to learn of your issues. I'm glad support are taking care of this for you.

Serenitynow - There are no known issues here. There was a past problem with our USB 1.1 interface (no longer manufactures) http://global.focusrite.com/answerba...-non-root-hubs Any current interface will work fine!

Best,

Focusrite Audio Engineering Limited - UK
David@Focusrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:51 PM   #33
Serenitynow

Thanks for the reply!
Old 04-03-2014, 03:55 PM   #34
Billy M

Just for the record and from personal experience: Focusrite technical support is excellent. Presonus tech support sucks (although i like and still use some of their products).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvman View Post
I appreciate that VERY MUCH, but it doesn't matter if there is a real problem with the drvers, software, etc.

I like the Focusrite hardware better than the Presonus.

Seems most folks here are working with windows 7 machines while I'm running windows 8.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:10 AM   #35
jjrockjaw

I'm not a Focusrite basher but I will bash the Scarlett 2i2.
I owned one and spent hours trying to make the clipping stop. I read all the posts after searching "scarlett 2i2 clipping" and nothing works---ie turn your volume knob on the guitar down or use a direct box. The fact is that the box has a design flaw on the instrument input; there's not enough headroom for an electric guitar, and I tried four. I Think the people who say it's a great box just don't know the problem exists because they may not plug in direct or maybe they strum very very lightly.
Finally I got rid of it and bought a Komplete Audio 6 and miraculously the clipping went away. <and this is a plug for that interface.

This is not a setup problem. You can change parameters for weeks like I did or just dump this box and get one that does what it's supposed to do.

Last thing..alot of reviews say the Scarlett's built like a tank. It's not. It ways about 25 ounces and the switches are made of very cheap material, ita almost looks and behaves like silver pencil lead. Both line/inst switches on my box began to crack and split with minimal use.

I know it's cheap but it is not worth it unless you have no desire to ever plug a guitar directly into it.
jjrockjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 02:53 PM   #36
zdub

No real latency issues either, using ASIO4ALL. I have in/out latency compensation set to 64 samples.

The clipping issue mentioned with the 2i2 is probably the biggest issue that folks have with the unit, especially those with hot pickups and/or when one really needs the volume up for the right sound. You just can't reduce the gain enough. This is supposedly common with the inexpensive preamps in budget audio interfaces.

Note that Komplete Audio 6 is twice the price of the 2i2.

Last edited by zdub; 04-20-2014 at 03:05 PM.
zdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 02:57 PM   #37
fladd

Strange, the Scarlett 2i2 is actually a superb audio inteface. It works flawlessly on all my systems, even under Linux without issues.
I owned an EMU Tracker Pre before and I had the exact same issues the OP describes (when using the EMU drivers). With the 2i2 I have no problems at all anymore (using the Focusrite drivers).
The problem of dropping out audio after a while is definitely a driver issue, and since the OP is not using the intended drivers for the 2i2, I guess that this is the exact problem.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:54 PM   #38
zeekat

2i2 apparently has two versions - earlier, with max level of -3dBu on instrument input and slightly improved one with max +4dBu. I'd swear there was a forum thread somewhere (SoS?) with focusrite dude informing about improvement. My google fu is failing me.

Anyways - change is fairly recent, when you check november 2013 snapshot of their website it still says it has -3dBu. Maybe people with worst clipping problems are still getting 2i2s from older batch.

edit: here

Last edited by zeekat; 04-24-2014 at 01:25 PM.
zeekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 05:08 AM   #39
asguard46

Default Focusrite Scarlett 2i4

I was going to ask on a new thread but found this so it seems as good a place as any. I bought a Scarlett 2i4 in February 2013. It was very noisy and clippy when I plugged a guitar directly into it so I boxed it back up and continued to use my Line6 UX1 which never let me down. Well my UX1 started to let me down slowly so I unboxed the 2i4 and tried again.
I plug a guitar lead into the 2i4 and then connect a Epiphone Casino to the lead. I put the gain knob to around 12 o clock and push in the pad switch. I put my headphones on. Put the volume knob on the Casino full up and strum a chord. The red light comes on around the gain knob and the guitar signal is hot and a mess. I turn the volume pot on the guitar down to zero and bring it up slowly. I move it ever so slightly and again the red light comes on and it is clippy considering there is hardly any volume on the guitar. So I turn the gain knob on the 2i4 down to zero and the red light still comes on and it is messy. I thought no gain meant silence. I am totally baffled by it. Asked a chap on Facebook and he reckons I have a faulty box. Should the box be giving you a signal when there is no gain on? Would Focusrite be willing to swap it for one that works even though I bought it about 15 months ago? Forgot to mention. I use a Behringer DI400p Ultra DI box into the 2i4 aswell and it made no difference except on a bass guitar.
Thanks.
asguard46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 06:32 AM   #40
Gerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by asguard46 View Post
I was going to ask on a new thread but found this so it seems as good a place as any. I bought a Scarlett 2i4 in February 2013. It was very noisy and clippy when I plugged a guitar directly into it so I boxed it back up and continued to use my Line6 UX1 which never let me down. Well my UX1 started to let me down slowly so I unboxed the 2i4 and tried again.
I plug a guitar lead into the 2i4 and then connect a Epiphone Casino to the lead. I put the gain knob to around 12 o clock and push in the pad switch. I put my headphones on. Put the volume knob on the Casino full up and strum a chord. The red light comes on around the gain knob and the guitar signal is hot and a mess. I turn the volume pot on the guitar down to zero and bring it up slowly. I move it ever so slightly and again the red light comes on and it is clippy considering there is hardly any volume on the guitar. So I turn the gain knob on the 2i4 down to zero and the red light still comes on and it is messy. I thought no gain meant silence. I am totally baffled by it. Asked a chap on Facebook and he reckons I have a faulty box. Should the box be giving you a signal when there is no gain on? Would Focusrite be willing to swap it for one that works even though I bought it about 15 months ago? Forgot to mention. I use a Behringer DI400p Ultra DI box into the 2i4 aswell and it made no difference except on a bass guitar.
Thanks.
Why do you use the Pad button? As far as I am aware this just gives a – 10 dB on the input and reduces the sensitivity of the input. Also do you have the Direct Monitor knob turned fully to the left? I am assuming you are not putting the guitar through any VST just the pure input so you just want to hear the input not the output.

Lastly if the gain knob is turned fully to the left you should not have any red halo light showing or come to that even a green one.