Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 10-29-2011, 08:10 AM   #1
romik
Human being with feelings

Default How much cheaper is it to build PC yourself?

Just wondering how much in percentage I would save by building a PC myself to the spec of top model of Mac Pro which is a 12 core unit. If I can save at least 30% then IMO it's worth thinking about it.
romik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:35 AM   #2
mintwaxed

How much cheaper is it to build PC yourself?

1) you don't have to pay for an operating system. it's almost impossible to buy a pc without paying the windoze tax

2) the motherboard you buy will not be a stripped down pieceofsh1t with every advanced feature removed. the asus, or any other brand, motherboard will have all kinds of performance options like overclocking, there will be bios updates available, and you won't be forced into a huge logo display of DELL™ staring you in the face instead of seeing the important bootup info.

3) you won't be stuck with a few substandard components. every boxed PC maker just LOVES to throw in a couple sub-par things that just make you cringe. and YOU decide how big of a hard drive you want, or if you need a super performing GPU, and how much RAM you need

4) if you're upgrading your current PC, you don't have to buy another case, power supply, keyboard, mouse, DVD drive, etc. all you have to buy is a new motherboard, CPU and RAM

5) doing it yourself gives you a sense of accomplishment, control and satisfaction

6) go to newegg.com, choose the parts that best fit for YOUR individual requirements, because I could give a crap about what you buy or how much it costs
mintwaxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:39 AM   #3
sillyrobin

the main reason I would build my own pc is because I want to know what's in it. I'd want a pc in general because it can be modified. Mac's are limited in this department. do your self the favor and don't believe the hype that Mac's don't crash. i'v seen them crash just like a pc, just to let you know. All so if your a gamer, Mac's can't hold a candle to a pc.
You'll definitely save money on building your own pc because you can look for the best deals on each component. Mac's are sold as 1 final unit, not much compromise there. **
sillyrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:36 AM   #4
airon

Romik, check out some of the builds on the Avid audio user forum(formerly Digidesign User Forum) in the i7 Build thread.

It is A LOT cheaper to build your own PC. If it's a professional setup where your income depends on it, you might want to buy a made-for-audio-production PC with on-site support.

They list components and benchmarks. I like to a Protools-centric forum, because if the machine runs Protools well, it'll run ANYTHING well.

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=238426

Some of the other sticky threads in the Windows Protools LE forum there have some good tips as well.
http://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17

IF you're interested in keeping the PC quiet, here's a good source as well: http://silentpcreview.com/

I can recommend Noctua CPU fans in particular. Not the cheapest, but definitely amongst the quiet ones.

We've got a couple of professional PC builders here as well, so if you want to ask specific questions, go right ahead.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:14 AM   #5
mixer

If you know what you're doing, you can do it cheaper and, indeed, you know what you've got in it. If it's not your thing, get a custom-built rig. I would take forever building one myself. If I had more time, I might give it a shot, but I'm extremely happy with my custom DAW. Had it over a year now. The time and frustration I saved are worth the extra money (to me).

Good luck.
mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:17 PM   #6
DeyBwah

I was going to build my own last year and decided to have Jim Roseberry build mine instead. He has very competitve prices and amazing after purchase support. I have a rock solid audio work horse that can handle the largest sessions with ease.
HDSPe | D-Box | MP500-NV | Essence | Obsidian | SM57 | Beta52 | Equi=Tech | CMS40 | HS80 w/HS10W http://soundcloud.com/deybwah | http://www.facebook.com/pages/DeyBwah/208627672487538 | http://twitter.com/#!/DeyBwah
DeyBwah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:20 PM   #7
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeyBwah View Post
I was going to build my own last year and decided to have Jim Roseberry build mine instead. He has very competitve prices and amazing after purchase support. I have a rock solid audio work horse that can handle the largest sessions with ease.
Jim is definitely getting my money when I am ready to upgrade. I have researched, price checked, and gotten my list of parts together. And after looking at his packages/prices/support, I don't see any reason for me to build my own.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:30 PM   #8
sostenuto

Recently upgraded older P4 in nice Antec server case. Went for decent components so cost savings was not large for equivalent (i7-860) system on Intel motherboard. Legitimate Win 7 64-bit upgrade and nicely under US$1K.
Biggest issues for me: ability to utilize larger (quality) power supply, NVIDIA video card, additional big hard drive and plenty of space and airflow. Rock solid for several months.

Tom B
sostenuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 01:13 PM   #9
vicenzajay

Default Bottom line...

You can save a TON of money by building your DAW at home...most of the reasons have been outlined above, as well as plenty of resources to do that.

My .02 - please keep in mind that my studio (Punkin Head Music Studio) also builds DAWs professionally for clients if as well as providing consulting and support locally - is that some patient reading/research as well as planning with the end goal in mind will yield an outstanding machine that is "yours" completely in the end. Sit down and write out exactly what you want your DAW to do, what interface you plan to use, how many channels of I/O do you need, is the machine a DAW interfaced with hardware or a completely ITB system, etc. These are extremely pertinent questions as different machines (especially in a commercial venture) can be intended for very different purposes.

For example, if you are going to use the DAW primarily for mixing, then the DAW will most likely be fixed and part of a control room or mixing room desk layout, etc. If the machine is going to be used for location recording, then portability and reliability are paramount. Is the machine going to using dedicated hardware for primary effects (i.e. UAD cards, etc.)? If so, you'll need to make sure the case can support full size PCIe cards - same if your interface requires an AES card interface with the DAW. I think you get the idea...

As for price, you'll pay roughly 1/3 to 1/2 the price to build your own DAW vice have it built as a custom DAW for you. That's not because any professional builder is "gouging" the client - the builder has to account for labor, follow on support, local in-state and federal business taxes, etc. (the list is long). So even though a custom DAW might cost 2-4 times as much to be built professionally, the builder's margins are still very slim in the end (i.e. there's not a ton of profit in it). Hopefully this makes sense. By the way, there are some GREAT builders out there that will put together a superb system for you if you decide to go that route - Jim on this board, Steve at Cryptic Globe, etc. I believe I build a pretty mean DAW myself for that matter.

Some things to think about as you design your system (just my opinion, of course):

- Don't obsess over video cards - especially if the DAW is going to be used for recording. One of your primary concerns will be for the relative "quietness" of your computer, and adding another fan to your system runs counter to that goal. In addition, any current integrated graphics chip will handle any number of DAW waveforms and tracks without a hiccup. Save your money for other, more critical components.

- Although it is not going to "burn up your machine" to overclock your CPU, etc. - I would respectfully posit that if you are going to build a DAW for the purpose of music production, you want to plan to buy the components you need both now and for a few years in the future that provide the power you need at STOCK speeds. The purpose of a DAW demands reliability - yes, I know that everything is "designed" for overclocking at this point; however, you aren't building a gaming machine here (I hope). Keep your purpose in mind, and this begins to make sense.

- Screen size: I would advise budgeting for a very nice, large flat screen display. Working on a DAW really is MUCH nicer with plenty of screen real estate :-)

- Plan for your interface....do you need a certain AES card, then make it part of your buy and build accordingly. Are you using Firewire? If so, have you researched the DAW's chipset and decided for/against onboard or add-on 1394 card support?

- Keep the focus on CPU choice, RAM capacity and HDD throughput...these are your "bread and butter" items for a fast, efficient DAW computer.

I've rambled enough - I hope you enjoy your new build!
Jay
vicenzajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 01:16 PM   #10
lxm

I dont think its THAT much cheaper but you can obtain MUCH better parts for the same or less. Allowing you to OC if you choose to do so.

I would not build through one of those companies selling 'recording pc's'. They are using the same stuff you can buy via NewEgg. A quick google is all you need to make sure the parts are OK.
lxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 01:22 PM   #11
vicenzajay

Default Fortunately...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxm View Post
I dont think its THAT much cheaper but you can obtain MUCH better parts for the same or less.
Not true at all...Just go to pretty much "any" custom DAW website and price out complete systems (and specs/parts) and then price out the very same system on Newegg or Tigerdirect....typically prices out at about 35-40% of the retail, custom PC cost.

The one thing I will say is that the post above about "not having to buy an operating system if you build your own DAW" concerns me....actually, legally you still need to buy an operating system for your DIY build, piracy laws apply equally to OS software as they do to DAW software.
Old 10-29-2011, 02:13 PM   #12
steveo42

Head on over to DUC and look at the systems that are tried and tested with ProTools. Clone one of them and you will be good to go. If it works with ProTools without taking a crap, chances are real good it will work with Reaper etc. Protools is EXTREMELY fussy.

If that doesn't wet your whistle, then Scott at ADK or Jim both custom build excellent systems and yes they are competitive in price. They will also advise you on compatibility with your interface and so forth.

Whatever you do, don't buy some off the shelf BestBuy like system. Yes, people make them work, some better than others, but you are paying for crap you don't need and the quality of the hardware is dubious in many cases as well.

You'll spend a week just removing all the trial ware crap they stick on those systems. And then you'll be back here asking questions why your DPC sucks and so forth.

For business?
Yes.
For a DAW?
No.

Just my 2 cents.
steveo42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 04:59 PM   #13
sumpm1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintwaxed View Post
...the motherboard you buy will not be a stripped down pieceofsh1t with every advanced feature removed. the asus, or any other brand, motherboard will have all kinds of performance options like overclocking...

...if you're upgrading your current PC, you don't have to buy another case, power supply, keyboard, mouse, DVD drive, etc. all you have to buy is a new motherboard, CPU and RAM...
These are the primary reasons I would state as well. You can sometimes UPGRADE a machine for under $200 and get the last 2 years components and overclock. Just keep your current case and keyboard and... cheap
sumpm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 05:08 PM   #14
lxm

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicenzajay View Post
Not true at all...Just go to pretty much "any" custom DAW website and price out complete systems (and specs/parts) and then price out the very same system on Newegg or Tigerdirect....typically prices out at about 35-40% of the retail, custom PC cost.
I am saying buying an HP computer from Costco and building your own with the same-ish CPU and quality parts will be about the same cost. I priced it out when I built mine a year ago... so im not wrong.

I dont get what you are trying to say at all? Custom builds are 30 to 40% cheaper than buying from one of these 'custom' DAW computer sites?

Quote:
- Although it is not going to "burn up your machine" to overclock your CPU, etc. - I would respectfully posit that if you are going to build a DAW for the purpose of music production, you want to plan to buy the components you need both now and for a few years in the future that provide the power you need at STOCK speeds. The purpose of a DAW demands reliability - yes, I know that everything is "designed" for overclocking at this point; however, you aren't building a gaming machine here (I hope). Keep your purpose in mind, and this begins to make sense.

I have had my i7 950 OC'd to 4.2GHZ for over a year with NO crashes whatsoever. Not one. Your stability argument is ridiculous. OC = more headroom. I personally need that for my gigantic sessions.

Last edited by lxm; 10-29-2011 at 05:56 PM.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:07 PM   #15
clickonce

Quote:
To me it's all about how you value your time.

The research (on parts), the install, the testing (burn-in) all takes time.. for which I'd gladly pay someone else. I just want the end result and am willing to eat a decent percentage to avoid spending my time on it. Some people might enjoy projects like that.. in which case the time is irrelevant.

How much value you put on your time (and whether it's even a factor) is pretty subjective.

Personally, I'd consider 30-40% a deal from a reputable vendor. I'd rather be fishing (as they say)...
Old 10-29-2011, 11:16 PM   #16
vicenzajay

Default Whatever....

Quote:
I am saying buying an HP computer from Costco and building your own with the same-ish CPU and quality parts will be about the same cost. I priced it out when I built mine a year ago... so im not wrong.

I dont get what you are trying to say at all? Custom builds are 30 to 40% cheaper than buying from one of these 'custom' DAW computer sites?

You want to think - go right ahead. I build them as part of a business (along with recording/mixing), so this is something I actually "do" vice just talk about.

You are wrong about pricing - just quit arguing about it. A custom DAW actually usually starts around $1200 for a micro-ATX build (obviously, builders vary)...usually more like $1500...and that's often an AMD based build (nothing against AMD, my main mixing DAW uses that architecture). To build your own machine (I just did three of them for folks over the past couple of months) of this type as a DIY project with the same parts, you are looking at $550-$650 depending on some options...I "do" this, so I'm not guessing or just throwing numbers out there.

For the OP - you'll save much more than 30-40 percent - but the trade-offs are in lack of support, the sacrifice of time, the chance of having to RMA ordered parts, and the sheer fact that if you aren't comfortable doing this type of thing it might not be something you want to do.

Oh - for this:

Quote:
I have had my i7 950 OC'd to 4.2GHZ for over a year with NO crashes whatsoever. Not one. Your stability argument is ridiculous. OC = more headroom. I personally need that for my gigantic sessions.
Again - your opinion and practice is not the norm for professional studio owners or the advice of professional DAW builders as a whole...it's the viewpoint of a computer enthusiast. Of course you can overclock, of course it can be super stable...but the point of a DAW made exclusively for music making is to be reliable...100% of the time...as well as never jeopardize stability at all...i.e. never take the chance.

I don't even have to argue this point, so I'll stop - For the OP: Just pulse the better known professional DAW builders on the net or, better yet, the larger studio owners. The last thing they need to fret over is an overclock multiplier or anything of the sort...I'm in the vast majority (among those who do this for a living), so my viewpoint is anything but "ridiculous".

The OP asked about pricing for a DIY build - perhaps the discussion should return to that topic.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:22 PM   #17
vicenzajay

Default Exactly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickonce View Post
To me it's all about how you value your time.

The research (on parts), the install, the testing (burn-in) all takes time.. for which I'd gladly pay someone else. I just want the end result and am willing to eat a decent percentage to avoid spending my time on it. Some people might enjoy projects like that.. in which case the time is irrelevant.

How much value you put on your time (and whether it's even a factor) is pretty subjective.

Personally, I'd consider 30-40% a deal from a reputable vendor. I'd rather be fishing (as they say)...
I never said otherwise...I completely agree. For me, as I build computers and have a fairly extensive IT background, I bought one custom DAW, and was shocked at how much I could save doing it myself. But, then again, it takes me minimal time and effort to do it as I'm very familiar with the process. It wasn't a very tough step to start offering them as a service/product in addition to the studio services from there.

But to emphasize your point - I agree...if you're not comfortable doing it or would rather do something else with that block of time (like making music :-) buy from Jim or Steve or someone else and be comfortable knowing you are getting a completely tested and working machine that will serve you for a long time.
Old 10-30-2011, 02:31 AM   #18
romik

Thank you all for your replies. 30-40% margin is what I expected to hear. I will have to consider pros & cons.

I have been using MBPro for last 6 years & it has served me well, but some sessions are just too big for it to handle, especially so when lots of emulation plugins are used. How about PC security nowadays? It will have to be online for updating & backups.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:22 AM   #19
Boydbob

I've been building my own PC's for years and the main advantages I see are these.

Initial cost is much less, especially if you do your research and shop online.
BTW - final cost is 'Price + Tax + Shipping'. ie $99 w/Free shipping is less than $85 w/$19.95 shipping.

Upgrade cost is also less since you can re-use parts & Software from the old machine.
You can research and pick the parts you want/need.
Since you built it, you can also repair it, if needed.

You can sometimes get software (esp Windows) at a discount if you buy so much hardware from one Vendor.

You'll get an actual install Disk for Windows, not a restore disk that wipes out all of your other software.

Your system will only have the software you install, not all the "Bloatware" that comes on most PC's from discount chains.

Boyd
Boydbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:49 AM   #20
Boydbob

Regarding Internet Security.

Windows 7 - you can go to Control Panel > Networks > and click on "Connect or Disconnect" to turn the Internet on/off as needed.

When Online - Stay away from "Warez" sites - Porno sites - etc

Email - Don't even read mail from people you don't know or expect mail from, or mail with odd or sensational subject lines,
and NEVER open attachments from ANYONE unless you already know what it is.

In 20 years I've not used Anti-virus software, and I've never had a Virus. I do have Windows Firewall and some free Scanning Programs.

I'd still recommend you have Anti-Virus software though, but disconnect from the internet and turn off the A.V. when doing serious Audio.

Boyd
Old 10-30-2011, 11:54 AM   #21
JOE SA SA

It´s cheaper cheaper cheaper and funny and you´ll get a lot of tips and how to...
Old 10-30-2011, 12:03 PM   #22
romik

I see, thank you. Which AV is recommended for the purpose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boydbob View Post
Regarding Internet Security.

Windows 7 - you can go to Control Panel > Networks > and click on "Connect or Disconnect" to turn the Internet on/off as needed.

When Online - Stay away from "Warez" sites - Porno sites - etc

Email - Don't even read mail from people you don't know or expect mail from, or mail with odd or sensational subject lines,
and NEVER open attachments from ANYONE unless you already know what it is.

In 20 years I've not used Anti-virus software, and I've never had a Virus. I do have Windows Firewall and some free Scanning Programs.

I'd still recommend you have Anti-Virus software though, but disconnect from the internet and turn off the A.V. when doing serious Audio.

Boyd
Old 10-30-2011, 12:07 PM   #23
Jae.Thomas

do we have a thread on successful pc setups and configs?
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 12:07 PM   #24
lxm

Quote:
You want to think - go right ahead. I build them as part of a business (along with recording/mixing), so this is something I actually "do" vice just talk about.

You are wrong about pricing - just quit arguing about it. A custom DAW actually usually starts around $1200 for a micro-ATX build (obviously, builders vary)...usually more like $1500...and that's often an AMD based build (nothing against AMD, my main mixing DAW uses that architecture). To build your own machine (I just did three of them for folks over the past couple of months) of this type as a DIY project with the same parts, you are looking at $550-$650 depending on some options...I "do" this, so I'm not guessing or just throwing numbers out there.

For the OP - you'll save much more than 30-40 percent - but the trade-offs are in lack of support, the sacrifice of time, the chance of having to RMA ordered parts, and the sheer fact that if you aren't comfortable doing this type of thing it might not be something you want to do.

Oh - for this:

Again - your opinion and practice is not the norm for professional studio owners or the advice of professional DAW builders as a whole...it's the viewpoint of a computer enthusiast. Of course you can overclock, of course it can be super stable...but the point of a DAW made exclusively for music making is to be reliable...100% of the time...as well as never jeopardize stability at all...i.e. never take the chance.

I don't even have to argue this point, so I'll stop - For the OP: Just pulse the better known professional DAW builders on the net or, better yet, the larger studio owners. The last thing they need to fret over is an overclock multiplier or anything of the sort...I'm in the vast majority (among those who do this for a living), so my viewpoint is anything but "ridiculous".

The OP asked about pricing for a DIY build - perhaps the discussion should return to that topic.
You sure like the sound of your own voice dont you? I do this for a living as well friend. Dont give me your holier than tho BS. These are FACTS. Its not possible to care less about your OPINION. I did price all this stuff out. I ALWAYS price stuff out. Im wrong? Were do you get off?

Talking about STABILITY. You said its not stable. You are clearly ignorant to this. Irrelevant if your studio buddy's OC or not. I dont think music production begins and ends with you. Does it? Once again, a year OC'd without one crash. To get this sort of performance I would have had to pay more than triple for the same CPU. Makes perfect sense to me. Stability is simply a non issue. If you are such a computer guru you should be aware of this. I dont even change the voltages!

Sorry, but 'custom DAW' computers use the EXACT same parts. No need to add another middle man. They are not doing anything special. Most reputable shops assemble/load OS for free if you buy the parts from them.

You are on ignore.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:09 PM   #25
Jae.Thomas

Jim Roseberry built my current DAW - bought it some 3 years ago. It's an overclocked Q6600. Never an issue.
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 02:04 PM   #26
richie43

Quote:
You sure like the sound of your own voice dont you? I do this for a living as well friend. Dont give me your holier than tho BS. These are FACTS. Its not possible to care less about your OPINION. I did price all this stuff out. I ALWAYS price stuff out. Im wrong? Were do you get off?

Talking about STABILITY. You said its not stable. You are clearly ignorant to this. Irrelevant if your studio buddy's OC or not. I dont think music production begins and ends with you. Does it? Once again, a year OC'd without one crash. To get this sort of performance I would have had to pay more than triple for the same CPU. Makes perfect sense to me. Stability is simply a non issue. If you are such a computer guru you should be aware of this. I dont even change the voltages!

Sorry, but 'custom DAW' computers use the EXACT same parts. No need to add another middle man. They are not doing anything special. Most reputable shops assemble/load OS for free if you buy the parts from them.

You are on ignore.
Wow. Is this necessary? As stated earlier, some people would rather pay someone to have their DAW built, while others like to tinker and build their own. And regarding this debate over which way is cheaper, since this forum is internet based (thus world-wide, as is the Reaper user-base) I don't think that anyone can provide an all inclusive answer to what is an economical choice since I am sure that local economies dictate which is a more cost effective choice. But my main grip about all of the crap being said in parts of this thread is that we are supposed to be helping the OP, not delving into immature spats and carrying on like brats. I think that you, lmn, need to re-read your own post and take a little of your own advice. Play nice or no dessert before bed.
Old 10-30-2011, 02:05 PM   #27
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
do we have a thread on successful pc setups and configs?
Great suggestion Brian. Anyone taking this up?
Old 10-30-2011, 02:53 PM   #28
fastlanestoner

I recently built a MONSTER of a PC for around $1200. It smokes anything out there and I have had nothing but flawless sessions. Amazing!

I highly recommend commissioning your own build for a variety of reasons, paramount being increased functionality. No bloatware, or BS inferior hardware. Better DPC latency reading.

YOu know what you're getting. For streaming/editing audio/video there is no better option than building a machine that is entirely your own.

Quality.

New Thieves & Lovers record 'Seasons' out soon!
fastlanestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 01:33 AM   #29
romik

Would you share the spec with us please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlanestoner View Post
I recently built a MONSTER of a PC for around $1200. It smokes anything out there and I have had nothing but flawless sessions. Amazing!

I highly recommend commissioning your own build for a variety of reasons, paramount being increased functionality. No bloatware, or BS inferior hardware. Better DPC latency reading.

YOu know what you're getting. For streaming/editing audio/video there is no better option than building a machine that is entirely your own.

Quality.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:25 AM   #30
Boydbob

Re: which AV

I've been using "AVG Free antivirus" And "Spybot Search and Destroy" when I need them.
There may be better or newer, but those both work very well.

Boyd
Old 10-31-2011, 09:46 AM   #31
richie43

Quote:
Re: which AV

I've been using "AVG Free antivirus" And "Spybot Search and Destroy" when I need them.
There may be better or newer, but those both work very well.

Boyd
Personally I never install a real-time AV on my DAW, but I am also very careful with any internet activity. I do use on-demand scanners occasionally; Malwarebytes Free and ESET online scanner. Over the years I found AVG to be bloated and problematic for my DAW, and Spybot to be outdated and ineffective. Just my experience though.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:02 AM   #32
ChetStrzepa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeyBwah View Post
I'll second , or third, this...I priced parts for comparable PC to build myself a few years back and ended up going with Jim. I can't give a percentage difference, but it wasn't nearly as much I had thought. For me, it was mainly time. I'm extremely part time with music now so I really can't afford to spend my time playing with computer hardware.
ChetStrzepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 05:17 AM   #33
The Comfort Leaf

Quote:
I've been building my own PC's for years and the main advantages I see are these.

Initial cost is much less, especially if you do your research and shop online.
BTW - final cost is 'Price + Tax + Shipping'. ie $99 w/Free shipping is less than $85 w/$19.95 shipping.

Upgrade cost is also less since you can re-use parts & Software from the old machine.
You can research and pick the parts you want/need.
Since you built it, you can also repair it, if needed.

You can sometimes get software (esp Windows) at a discount if you buy so much hardware from one Vendor.

You'll get an actual install Disk for Windows, not a restore disk that wipes out all of your other software.

Your system will only have the software you install, not all the "Bloatware" that comes on most PC's from discount chains.

Boyd
I built mine PC nearly two years ago , the best thing I ever did. Not only was it cheaper but also it has the best components graphic card, processor the works. I also have a Mac book Pro but the PC blows it outta water in terms of power speed and reliability.
The Comfort Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 05:29 AM   #34
romik

Obviously building same spec PC ought to be cheaper, I just wanted to establish how much cheaper. Which I think we established around 30-50% cheaper. That motivates me enough to build one myself.

Next thing I would like to establish or rather get advice on is the spec.

Main purpose of the PC (in my case) is to be able to run 50+ track sessions with VSTi on each track. I do a lot of arrangement work, I don't like rendering tracks before the whole arrangement is complete. At the moment I am using MBPro with Fireface 400. I am quite happy with the interface, so I would like to receive PC spec advice based on having external firewire soundcard.

Thank you all in advance. I am based in UK & my budget is around £1000 ($1600USD).
Old 11-01-2011, 08:31 AM   #35
airon

That should be ample.

Some folks here will know exactly what works well with the Fireface 400, whether it's onboard Firewire off the mainboard or a separate PCI/PCIe Firewire card.

And there may be driver issues with Windows 7 to consider. Lots of experience around this forum with that too.

Apart from that, it's a question of where the computer will be (quiet components or not), which will also concern Firewire cable length for your interface.

Power requires decent cooling and thus care with what you buy if you'd like the PC to be more quiet. I can only quote my own system, so the more experienced folks have the floor...
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:00 AM   #36
WolfJames

As someone who's been doing this for over 30 years, It will NOT be cheaper to build your own "quality" PC for music production. It will always cost more if you use quality parts.

Can you build a cheaper one? Yes. But you really don't want to.

You will still need to buy the operating system, unless you go the illegal route (not recommended). You could use Linux, but you don't want to, unless you are one of those guys who spend their life configuring Linux.

The bottom line, if you build your own, you will spend more moeny, but you will have a much better machine than anything off the shelf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by romik View Post
Just wondering how much in percentage I would save by building a PC myself to the spec of top model of Mac Pro which is a 12 core unit. If I can save at least 30% then IMO it's worth thinking about it.
WolfJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:04 AM   #37
romik

I think you misunderstood. If I was to build same spec PC as a dealer, then surely dealer's would be more expensive as dealer has to price in his profit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfJames View Post
As someone who's been doing this for over 30 years, It will NOT be cheaper to build your own "quality" PC for music production. It will always cost more if you use quality parts.

Can you build a cheaper one? Yes. But you really don't want to.

You will still need to buy the operating system, unless you go the illegal route (not recommended). You could use Linux, but you don't want to, unless you are one of those guys who spend their life configuring Linux.

The bottom line, if you build your own, you will spend more moeny, but you will have a much better machine than anything off the shelf.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:18 AM   #38
vassago

The only thing I am going to say is that if people stepped off their preconceptions and looked seriously at the Dell XPS line for example...many people here would have more money for new toys instead of being "right" on the Reaper forum about building a DAW yourself being cheaper.

This is not true for Alienware or Dell Inpiron!!! The first is a rip off and the other sub par quality/feature stripped to keep prices to the bottom. Like HP or Gateway or other builder in that line.

I did the math myself and when I bought my XPS in 2009, it would have costed me 300$ more to build it, spec for spec. identical. The entire truth, is if I had been willing to spend 600$ more on my PC, it would have be WAY better than anything Dell could build for the price.

Side note: I could not possible count the number of PCs I've built. I've run a sideline business in support/pc building for roughly 15 years.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:17 AM   #39
Mike-Mat

I gave up building my own PC. I go t http://www.magicmicro.com and use their configuration utility to get what I want. You dont have to buy Windows if you dont want.

After I pick a config and if I like the price, I might cal them and check for any incompatibilities of the components, or special deals that might be better for what I want.

They've built my last 6 PC's. All excellent boxes.
It's just not worth my time to assemble, install the OS and Drivers. Plus it's a single source responsible for the entire system. I would never buy a Dell or any major brand like that again.

Mike
Mike-Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:15 PM   #40
Jcschild

to the OP;

1st you do NOT want to build a dual processor 12 core system for audio.
they are severly over priced (even when building it yourself) for very little power.

it takes a dual 6 core 2.8GHz to match the single 990X or 2600. (or soon to be released 3960X/3930K)
a dual 2.93 or higher to beat it and until you get to the dual 3.33GHz you would never notice.
i have very very few clients who need a dual Xeon.
and without sounds like i am pretecting what i do a dual Xeon is not a good DYI project.

depending on what DAW builder it should be about 30-40% mark up depending on the system and options chosen. unless we are talking about Rain/Sweetwater then its like 100% mark up. (as is Apple)
only you can decide if $500-700 is worth peace of mind, hardware and software integration, support and warranty.

to vicenzajay:
tooting your own horn?.. honestly...
overclocking? really? what ever dude...

i sell, support and waranty over clock systems, when done right its 100% stable
and its not any louder either before you go there.
in fact i would say a good 40-50% of my systems ship OCed. both for video and audio.
considering part of my warranty includes paying for shipping on repairs do you think i would ship a system thats not stable..

and thats coming from the largest DAW builder in the US. so yes us daw builders do support OCing..

Scott
ADK
Jcschild is offline   Reply With Quote