Old 05-20-2019, 04:38 AM   #1
Mcgiver69
Human being with feelings

Default Tonelib GFX

Hi guys,

Just wanted to share this with you (unless you already knew about it). This is a poor man's Guitar Rig with a good number of guitar amps and effects which can be used as VST. It comes native for Linux or can be used with Wine.

It works the same way you create patches in a multi effect and comes with some good presets that can be tweaked or can be used to learn your way around the plugin.

It's totally free and all you need to do is to create an account and download.

It's very cpu friendly and to be honest I liked the sounds more than Amplitube and Guitar Rig (less fizzy).

There are 2 bass amps too (Ampeg & Fender Bassman).

Give it a go, it's free and to be honest at this moment there are not many Amp simulators for Linux.

https://tonelib.net/gfx-overview/
Mcgiver69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 07:07 AM   #2
Peevy

Thanks for the heads up on this one!!

I couldn't get Amplitube 4 to work after the latest update to wine-staging 4.8, & was thinking "I wish there was something comparable in linux vst fomat". Then I saw this post. GREAT TIMING!

While it's far from the level of A4 in features, it's pretty damn good for free & the best amp sim multiFX plugin I've seen for Linux. I's very usable & I think I'll be using it form now on in case A4 stops working again (got it working again by rolling back to WS 4.6). I especially like that you can use your own IR's.

Now if only there was something comparable to Kontakt for Linux.......
Old 05-21-2019, 09:19 AM   #3
Glennbo

Thanks for posting this. I have Guitar Rig, which works but it is running in WINE and bridged with LinVST which can't be as efficient.

I almost never use amp modeling because I have a mic'd and isolated speaker cab in the closet with tube amp and tube FX in the main room. There have been occasions though when I decided later that a crunchy sound would have been better than a clean one I recorded with, and that's when I mainly use amp models.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 10:44 AM   #4
Stringer

I downloaded this and ran the installer but in my regular account it doesn't install. In my superuser account, it installs, but is then not available in my regular user account.

Foiled by Linux again!
Old 05-21-2019, 10:55 AM   #5
Peevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
I downloaded this and ran the installer but in my regular account it doesn't install. In my superuser account, it installs, but is then not available in my regular user account.

Foiled by Linux again!

Since I'm on an arch based distro that doesn't use deb installers, I just extracted it with the archive manager, then extract it again from data.tar.xz into my .vst folder.
Old 05-21-2019, 11:09 AM   #6
Glennbo

I didn't want to run the installer, so I opened the file with Engrampa and looked around in the folders until I found the .so VST file and then only extracted that into my .vst folder.

Worked like a champ and the only thing new on my drive is the one single file "ToneLib-GFX.so".
Old 05-21-2019, 11:13 AM   #7
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peevy View Post
Since I'm on an arch based distro that doesn't use deb installers, I just extracted it with the archive manager, then extract it again from data.tar.xz into my .vst folder.
I try to always extract the VST myself if I can. I just don't want any extra stuff on my SSD and won't ever use a stand alone version so I just grab the .so file and nothing else now if I can.
Old 05-21-2019, 01:40 PM   #8
Stringer

Got it working. Looks very interesting. Just what I was looking for. You guys helped me again!
Old 05-22-2019, 04:32 AM   #9
Mcgiver69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
Got it working. Looks very interesting. Just what I was looking for. You guys helped me again!
That's what we're here for! to help each other.

Linux might not be perfect but together we can make it work for music production and every little helps
Mcgiver69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 12:37 PM   #10
sub26nico

The installer doesn't works here on Debian 9 (one of the lib needed is too old on my system) but extracting the archive, i can find the .so file and put it in my VST folder. And it works ;-).
Thanks for sharing.
sub26nico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 03:34 PM   #11
lilith93

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub26nico View Post
The installer doesn't works here on Debian 9 (one of the lib needed is too old on my system) but extracting the archive, i can find the .so file and put it in my VST folder. And it works ;-).
Thanks for sharing.
Looks and sounds really good and thanks for the tip!
lilith93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 06:59 AM   #12
sub26nico

Default Crashes with Reaper 5.979 & 5.980

I have bad Reaper crashes since this 2 versions, Reaper crashes at launch many times and if i load Tonelib GFX in FX window.
I've updated tonelib but it the same....
Ardour doesn't crash and can use the plugin.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:18 AM   #13
Glennbo

Quote:
I have bad Reaper crashes since this 2 versions, Reaper crashes at launch many times and if i load Tonelib GFX in FX window.
I've updated tonelib but it the same....
Ardour doesn't crash and can use the plugin.
I'm running REAPER v5.980 and my most recent project from last week has four instances of ToneLib on four different guitar tracks and it never crashed on me while I was working on it.

The project has 56 FX in total, so it seems to get along with the other plugins I use. Also that project only had one Windows VSTi which was Kontakt. Everything else was native Linux.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:44 AM   #14
sub26nico

I think i found the problem: if i delete reaper_reapack64.so it is ok,
no more crash with tonelib. If I re-install reapack 1.2.2, then synchronize the packages, same issue.
Code:
sub26nico@debian:~$ /opt/REAPER/reaper
rtconfig: front 'set' not found
jack: created client
jack: setting TIME_CRITICAL = 64
jack: activated client

(reaper:21757): Gdk-WARNING **: gdk_window_set_user_time called on non-toplevel

Instruction non permise
With reapack 1.2.1 it's ok if i don't synchronize packages.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:59 AM   #15
sub26nico

Ok, i think i've founded exactly what 's wrong. if i install reapack 1.2.1, then manage repositories and click off 'ReaPack', it's all good, i can synchronize packages without Reaper crashes when i load tonelib GFX. The issue seems to be with the update of reapack.so (1.2.2) that cause the crashes.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:10 AM   #16
Glennbo

Quote:
Ok, i think i've founded exactly what 's wrong. if i install reapack 1.2.1, then manage repositories and click off 'ReaPack', it's all good, i can synchronize packages without Reaper crashes when i load tonelib GFX. The issue seems to be with the update of reapack.so (1.2.2) that cause the crashes.
Glad you got it sorted.

I don't use ReaPack, or the SWS Extensions or any other 3rd party stuff that hooks itself into REAPER, specifically because I expect them to eventually create problems that will be difficult to trace to the root cause.
Old 07-14-2019, 09:28 AM   #17
JamesPeters

Reapack 1.2.2 seems to require somewhat more current gcc libraries than some distros have. If your distro uses version 7.3.0 it will probably work, since it does for me.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 10:30 AM   #18
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
Reapack 1.2.2 seems to require somewhat more current gcc libraries than some distros have. If your distro uses version 7.3.0 it will probably work, since it does for me.
I've always hated it when software has dependencies that can break it when one of the other ten people's code it needs to run changes. That's why I avoid SWS and ReaPack.

When I was still a developer, I made all my executable modules self contained in the .exe file, or by including any needed support files right in the same folder. It could run on any drive from any location, with a path set or without one. No hooks at all in the registry either, as I created my own .ini files and kept them in the self contained folder. It kept support calls at bay, and made transferring the whole app and all it's data to another machine or another folder a simple matter of copying the self contained folder. Kinda like how REAPER works.

Last edited by Glennbo; 07-14-2019 at 10:37 AM.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:52 AM   #19
JamesPeters

I agree. However at least you can "pin" the previous version of Reapack (in Reapack itself) to avoid updating it. And from what I notice, Reapack seems pretty similar for functionality in general in the newest version, so it's not a big deal to keep using the previous one.

Plus I mean...come on, with the distros that still use gcc 6.X. Gcc is at version 9.X at this point. This is one of the reasons I distro-hopped from MX.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:08 AM   #20
Glennbo

Could you not just drop the file it needs in the folder with it, so it finds that one first and uses it? If so, why not just distribute it with the software? I don't think anybody at the The Linux Corporation will sue you for doing it.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:51 AM   #21
JamesPeters

That's not my place to say. Anyway I don't mind using a distro that's more up-to-date. It's what I'll do from now on.
Old 07-14-2019, 01:44 PM   #22
Glennbo

Quote:
That's not my place to say. Anyway I don't mind using a distro that's more up-to-date. It's what I'll do from now on.
Back when I was into gaming I searched for and found every .dll to every version of DirectX for Windows. When I'd install some older game and it would throw out errors about DirectX, I would just unzip the big bundle of .dlls right into the folder containing the .exe file, and suddenly the game would work because it would find the vesrion of the .dll it wanted.

I would bet the same is true with Linux. So you could just toss the version of a library file into the folder that wanted it and it would find it there, before looking other places specified by a pecking order like a system path. And doing something like that should only consume the space necessary to hold it, but cause no other problems because the system version of the file will always be found first, unless the current directory is the one that contains the alternate copy.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:18 PM   #23
JamesPeters

Thanks for that info. It had never occurred to me it worked that way. I may need that info later.
Old 07-14-2019, 03:26 PM   #24
sub26nico

GCC 6.3 here. I can deal with ReaPack 1.2.1, it seems to work fine as it is now. But from my pow, Reaper without SWS and ReaPack has not the same flavour.
ToneLib's fx are very nice, I don't use a lot the amps & cabs simulations, i like better using Caps plugins (AmpVTS, noise gate) in Carla with an IR amp (bought on RedWirez.com) in LSP's Impulse Responses. But I haven't try all the amps & cabs sims yet.
Old 07-14-2019, 03:31 PM   #25
JamesPeters

I agree that SWS and ReaPack are welcome, at least on my system, in Linux. They're some of the things that helped my decision to migrate from Windows to Linux. I could do without ReaPack but it's so much more convenient to use it for maintaining the scripts/plugins whenever possible.

I also don't use guitar amp sims, other than to try them out of curiosity. I like keeping up-to-date with my point of view on these things. After trying ToneLib-GFX, I can recommend Linux to even more Windows users.

Hopefully LV2 ends up supported in Reaper eventually. I notice there are new LV2 plugins continually being made, but much fewer Linux VST plugins.

Oh I forgot to mention: the previous version of ToneLib-GFX would make Reaper "hang"/"freeze" for a few seconds shortly after loading the plugin. The current version doesn't do that anymore. So if someone is using the previous version and notices this behavior, you might want to download the updated version.
Old 07-14-2019, 03:52 PM   #26
Glennbo

Quote:
I agree that SWS and ReaPack are welcome, at least on my system, in Linux. They're some of the things that helped my decision to migrate from Windows to Linux. I could do without ReaPack but it's so much more convenient to use it for maintaining the scripts/plugins whenever possible.
I don't miss them coz I never installed them. Meat and potatoes is all I need. Press record, play something, press play it sounds just like what I played.

Quote:
I also don't use guitar amp sims, other than to try them out of curiosity. I like keeping up-to-date with my point of view on these things. After trying ToneLib-GFX, I can recommend Linux to even more Windows users.
Have you ever considered creating a very tiny and very low powered guitar amp, say for guys like me who have a twin twelve inch vintage speaker cabinet isolated in a closet with a dedicated high quality mic (Sennheiser MD421 in my case)?

I currently use a cheep Orange Micro Terror 20w amp, but only the preamp side is tube with a 12AX7. The power side is solid state. Size-wise it is perfect to sit in the control room where it can be tweaked, but monitored after going through the mic on the cabinet in the closet, so what you hear is exactly what is being recorded. Anyway, I've seen Marshall has a 1 watt head, but it's as big as a 100 watt amp. Maybe it can't be done in a small package with a tube power amp section. I don't know electronics.

Quote:
Hopefully LV2 ends up supported in Reaper eventually. I notice there are new LV2 plugins continually being made, but much fewer Linux VST plugins.
There are a few LV2 plugins I would have liked to try, so that would be a welcome addition for me.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:21 PM   #27
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Have you ever considered creating a very tiny and very low powered guitar amp,
I've made 10W amps in the past which were part of my product line, and also some lower powered amps than that (down to 1W) but just for my own testing/learning. I don't even want to make the 10W amps anymore, let alone less than that. I turn the amp's master volume down and use the damping control. It sounds great. And no one can complain that it "sounds too small". Too many people complained about my 10W amps, even though I'd compared them to other 10W tube amps on the market and mine were easily at least as good. I'd warn people in advance they're not going to sound the same as 100W amps. People believe what they want to believe though; all it takes is one instance of confirmation bias (hearing a sound clip they like or listening to someone else's opinion), and they ignore my recommendation then later blame me. So I discontinued them and it's unlikely I'll ever do them again. Sometimes you have to make decisions that are in the best interests of people whether they realize it or not.

Nowadays I even warn people against getting 50W versions of my amps just in case. I tell them the 100W makes the most sense whether you play loud or not. It's the safest choice.

If you want "output tube distortion" at low power levels, know this: nothing sounds like a cranked 100W amp at low volume. You can use a 1W amp with a specific oddball tube for the output, you can use attenuators, you can use "power scaling", you name it. It's always a noticeable compromise in some way. In that case I say using the controls on my amps which are designed to help get great sounds at low volumes: that makes the most sense.

Last edited by JamesPeters; 07-14-2019 at 06:26 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:38 PM   #28
Glennbo

Quote:
I've made 10W amps in the past which were part of my product line, and also some lower powered amps than that (down to 1W) but just for my own testing/learning. I don't even want to make the 10W amps anymore, let alone less than that. I turn the amp's master volume down and use the damping control. It sounds great. And no one can complain that it "sounds too small". Too many people complained about my 10W amps, even though I'd compared them to other 10W tube amps on the market and mine were easily at least as good. I'd warn people in advance they're not going to sound the same as 100W amps. People believe what they want to believe though; all it takes is one instance of confirmation bias (hearing a sound clip they like or listening to someone else's opinion), and they ignore my recommendation then later blame me. So I discontinued them and it's unlikely I'll ever do them again. Sometimes you have to make decisions that are in the best interests of people whether they realize it or not.

Nowadays I even warn people against getting 50W versions of my amps just in case. I tell them the 100W makes the most sense whether you play loud or not. It's the safest choice.

If you want "output tube distortion" at low power levels, know this: nothing sounds like a cranked 100W amp at low volume. You can use a 1W amp with a specific oddball tube for the output, you can use attenuators, you can use "power scaling", you name it. It's always a noticeable compromise in some way. In that case I say using the controls on my amps which are designed to help get great sounds at low volumes: that makes the most sense.
After I posted that question I got to thinking how for you it's prolly about the same amount of work to make a tiny low power amp as it is to make a normal one.

I'm actually pretty happy with the little Micro Terror amp, but have always wished it's power amp section was tube rather than solid state. I never run it loud enough to hear through the closet door, and monitor what is being played through the studio monitors after it's been through a speaker cab and mic'd.

I just posted earlier a revamped song from 2009 where a VERY GOOD guitar player friend of mine (now deceased) played through the Micro Terror amp and vintage Gretsch speaker cab with three different kinds of tones. Clean jazz, medium funk, and distortion rock. I'm sure it doesn't sound as good as your amps, but what a great guitar performance. Here's a link to that post.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=223039
Old 07-14-2019, 08:05 PM   #29
JamesPeters

To be clear, I don't think there's anything wrong with lower-powered amps. But if you're expecting that it'll sound "like a higher powered amp but better because saturation!" etc., you're probably going to be disappointed. Lower-powered amps are their own thing. I felt most confident when selling my 10W (and 20W) amps to people who already used and liked amps in that power range. For everyone else, it was a gamble. That's disappointing to me. And you can't fight someone's preconceptions...or at least it seems I can't. Now I just discontinue a product if people don't understand what it's meant to do. It sucks to do it, but it saves everyone hassle in the long run.

And yeah if you were somehow expecting one of my current amps could be "just made smaller" and therefore a lot cheaper, you misunderstood. You wouldn't be the first person to hint that they wanted a cheaper amp, so I'm not offended if that's the case. It's just not going to happen. I could make a lower-powered amp which is somewhat cheaper, but it would lack half the features of my current lineup (and sound "small" to people who like higher-powered amps). So many people assume I can "just" reduce my feature set because I can "build it for the best sound and remove half the knobs", but everyone dials the amps in differently. "Just" removing half the features, and making the poweramp work drastically different just for the sake of "low powered and cheaper" is something which doesn't appeal to me.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:15 PM   #30
Glennbo

So when are you coming out with the $300 one knob 5 watt amp?
Old 07-14-2019, 10:24 PM   #31
JamesPeters

You joke, but I've been asked that several times. Literally. Not that it's the only ridiculous thing I've been asked, and not the most ridiculous thing either.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:31 AM   #32
Glennbo

Quote:
You joke, but I've been asked that several times. Literally. Not that it's the only ridiculous thing I've been asked, and not the most ridiculous thing either.
So not real soon then?

Back on topic, I used ToneLib just for the speaker cab IRs the other day to tone down a guitar part a friend did with a real amp and speaker, but it sounded really harsh and brittle. Speaker cab IR dulled it down just right where it sat in the mix much better.
Old 09-03-2019, 02:54 PM   #33
sodface

Is anybody successfully using the Tonelib GFX VST version 3.9.9 with Reaper 5.983? 3.9.0 works fine for me but the 3.9.9 version GUI is zoomed and clipped in the VST window and resizing just gives me additional gray area. I don't think it's a Reaper problem since 3.9.0 works fine so I posted on the tonelib forum:

https://tonelib.net/forums/threads/t...ui-issue.6008/

But if one of you guys says it's ok for you maybe I'll take another look at my setup.
Attached Images
File Type: png ToneLibGFX_3.9.0_Reaper.png (42.3 KB, 349 views)
File Type: png ToneLibGFX_3.9.9_Reaper.png (26.6 KB, 321 views)
sodface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 03:53 PM   #34
sub26nico

It seems to work here, Tonelib GFX 3.9.9 and Reaper 5.983.
Old 09-03-2019, 04:07 PM   #35
sodface

Quote:
It seems to work here, Tonelib GFX 3.9.9 and Reaper 5.983.
Thanks, I was afraid somebody would say that.
Old 09-04-2019, 12:07 AM   #36
sub26nico

I have also gray area after resizing but can make it disappear by resizing the fx window and the Tonelib window.
Old 10-20-2019, 05:40 PM   #37
sodface

ToneLib GFX 4.0.1 is out and I just tried it with the latest Reaper and the GUI still isn't being drawn correctly. 3.9.0 works ok. This is over X11 forwarding but still, one version works and all of them since then don't.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ToneLibGFX_3.9.0_Reaper.jpg (31.3 KB, 339 views)
File Type: jpg ToneLibGFX_4.0.1_Reaper.jpg (25.0 KB, 311 views)
Old 10-22-2019, 02:06 AM   #38
biopsin

Default Reaper 5.984 and Tonelib 3.99

Yup, same thing on Reaper 5.984 and Tonelib 3.99
See also missplaced add menu on left side..

(latest swell from git + gtk2)

# expires in one day
https://u.teknik.io/5qTwT.png
Old 10-22-2019, 01:08 PM   #39
s wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
I didn't want to run the installer, so I opened the file with Engrampa and looked around in the folders until I found the .so VST file and then only extracted that into my .vst folder.

Worked like a champ and the only thing new on my drive is the one single file "ToneLib-GFX.so".
First I want to thank MacGiver69 for the heads up - very useful...
Thank you Glennbo too - (I almost forgot) I like dropping in just the ".so" as you have re-stated, it always seems to work flawless - if it doesn't I tend to shy away or get a better fix.

[For any who want to know; I pasted just the .so on Mint/Cinn updated os/de]
s wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 01:38 PM   #40
s wave

Wan't there a project for linux called music linux project' or something like that? I can not exactly remember the name - but they did a lot of work - the hardest thing was the extensive compiling it took to get it just set up (I could never get it to work) But I believe they had quite a few effects... tonelib might have been one of them... if anyone can remember that project - it might have quite a few .so 's ?
s wave is offline   Reply With Quote