Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 02-14-2019, 11:10 AM   #1
s wave
Human being with feelings

Default Modicia OS running Reaper Native & Reaper Windows simultaneously

There is a fairly new OS called Modicia (linux, XFCE modified DE, 18.04 core) Professional Audio Video package including pre-configured Wine, Wine HQ, Timeshift, JACK, QJackctl and much more, (all up to date apps) that will run Reaper Native Linux and Windows Reaper side by side - on 1 PC 1 OS 1 HD (or live boot cd / flash drive or VM) 1 Screen. Giving you use of almost all plugins and flexibility.

Heres how to make it happen: Install Modicia Ultimate (live or HD install). Then install Reaper Windows, make sure you go into Reaper preferences for audio device and change it to 'Pulse' (should have a choice here between Pulse or a mapper) [Wine will install pre-configuration just click ok]. Next intall Reaper Native Linux and do the same thing: PREFERENCES>AUDIO DEVICE change it to 'Pulse' (you should have a choice of JACK,ALSA,Dummy,Pulse). choose Pulse.

Then just run them side by side - There is no lag between switching platforms. The beauty for me is I want to run exclusively Linux but I would like 1 or 2 Windows (mac) programs that I occasionally want at my fingertips. This accomplishes the scenario and for me a no-mess blessing.

(I want to also say that this OS has some cutting edge speed technology - I surmise it uses DLL/.so hybrid of static libraries - which might pre-load on ram; and no need to rename common file (such as a plugin) workaround as well as some nice new swappiness memory tech. This makes it very fast - not to mention its small Reaper like footprint and anabolic DE)

Last edited by s wave; 02-14-2019 at 06:32 PM. Reason: remove possible mis-information
s wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 02:10 PM   #2
Fergler

Are you saying it can also run Mac AU?
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 06:31 PM   #3
s wave

.AU are tough to run in Linux. But you can use .AU on virtual machine inside Modicia. I am trying to translate the Italian info on Modicia - slowly.
(or run Mac on gemu linux/or the like... will post back.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:31 PM   #4
JamesPeters

Pulseaudio? Not the best for low latency. You might want to mention that before people start doing this. That is unless this distro somehow runs pulseaudio very low latency.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 11:15 PM   #5
s wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
Pulseaudio? Not the best for low latency. You might want to mention that before people start doing this. That is unless this distro somehow runs pulseaudio very low latency.
You are right usually Pulse is slower. I will try to set up latency test... and get back - been kinda busy.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:50 AM   #6
Sangeppato

So it's Xubuntu with some stuff preinstalled? Why creating another distro? I'll never get that...
Sangeppato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 09:05 AM   #7
Glennbo

If it is Xubuntu with extra stuff, then you don't have to use Pulse audio which can't be very low latency. I'm running Xubuntu, but just the plain jane version of Xubuntu. I just flipped REAPER to use Pulse Audio set to 44.1 kHz with a block size of 16 and I get 1094/155ms latency in REAPER.

When I let REAPER launch JACK with 64 frames and 2 buffers I get 1.4/2.9ms, and if the project is super bloated I can still get 2.9/5.8ms if I use 128 frames and 2 buffers.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 11:54 PM   #8
s wave

Its a very fast hybrid Xfce xubuntu. It has Jack and Alsa and Pulse. I have not gotten it to route to any other audio device except Pulse. I was just giving a heads up. I understand about latency and lag. I was trying to talk about running 2 or 3 DAWS on different platforms at the same time on the same PC. When you run a couple daws with different platforms simultaneously on xubuntu what is your latency? I will post more info when I have more time to test.
Old 02-16-2019, 01:20 AM   #9
s wave

I really think some people are truly missing the point.

There is more than one way to make a car go faster and be more efficient.

The Xubuntu and Xfce DE have been highly tweaked. I won't get into all the details. Moving on... The pre-installed software has been highly tweaked; many 'program's menus are tabbed and integrated in the DT taskbar. The ease and ability of having an OS that will recognize the difference between a dll (dynamic win) and .so (dynamic linux) AND then load it automatically is not available on that many OSs. (as well as smoothly switching between Win/Linux programs that are running concurrently) The common problem of renaming files as a program is running (slowing down operations) has finally been addressed. If there is another OS that can just do this, I would like to know. There are quite a few breakthroughs incorporated that does not make this just another flavor of the month.

I am not urging anyone to to switch their current OS. But if you want an OS that can plug and play 99% of ubuntus programs as well as plug an play many Win programs without trouble or fidgeting then this might be the distro for you.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:46 AM   #10
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by s wave View Post
Its a very fast hybrid Xfce xubuntu. It has Jack and Alsa and Pulse. I have not gotten it to route to any other audio device except Pulse. I was just giving a heads up. I understand about latency and lag. I was trying to talk about running 2 or 3 DAWS on different platforms at the same time on the same PC. When you run a couple daws with different platforms simultaneously on xubuntu what is your latency? I will post more info when I have more time to test.
Launching both Linux and Windows version of REAPER at the same time doesn't change anything latency wise on my machine.

The Linux version still displays 1.4/2.9ms in the upper right corner of REAPER, and it shows 25/42ms on the Windows version, but I have never installed WineASIO because I never use the Windows version in Linux, and don't need low latency there.

I only installed REAPER for Windows for testing, but I never use it for making or mixing music. I might fire it up to see if a particular behavior is the same between platforms, but that's about the extent of it for the Windows version for me. All recording and mixing is done exclusively on the Linux version for me.

BTW, my install of Xubuntu has been tweaked for audio with higher user priorities and a low latency kernel, so my numbers aren't representative of how a stock install of Xubuntu will run REAPER.

For someone who hasn't yet got a working Linux system, and isn't familiar with Linux Modica might be an quick way for them to get started.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 11:37 AM   #11
s wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Launching both Linux and Windows version of REAPER at the same time doesn't change anything latency wise on my machine.

The Linux version still displays 1.4/2.9ms in the upper right corner of REAPER, and it shows 25/42ms on the Windows version, but I have never installed WineASIO because I never use the Windows version in Linux, and don't need low latency there.

I only installed REAPER for Windows for testing, but I never use it for making or mixing music. I might fire it up to see if a particular behavior is the same between platforms, but that's about the extent of it for the Windows version for me. All recording and mixing is done exclusively on the Linux version for me.

BTW, my install of Xubuntu has been tweaked for audio with higher user priorities and a low latency kernel, so my numbers aren't representative of how a stock install of Xubuntu will run REAPER.

For someone who hasn't yet got a working Linux system, and isn't familiar with Linux Modica might be an quick way for them to get started.
Well said - good for noobs to get feet wet... but there are some interesting higher things going on... thanks for info!
Old 02-16-2019, 01:11 PM   #12
dug dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by s wave View Post
good for noobs to get feet wet... but there are some interesting higher things going on...
Cool! Please keep us in the loop.
dug dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 01:36 PM   #13
JamesPeters

I have no interest in using Pulseaudio for Reaper since it has significant latency. (I imagine most Reaper users feel similarly.) If I wanted to do what you do, I might accept that compromise. However I'm just using Reaper for Linux (no Windows plugins either, nothing WINE-based at all).

Modicia might be appealing to me if I knew it worked as well as the distro I'm using (MX Linux), when using Reaper (for Linux) with ALSA. If it isn't as stable/fast, I wouldn't use it.

What distros have you compared it to? Can you get just as low latency with ALSA (and/or JACK) in Reaper for Linux, and have you done tests to see if it uses the same (or less) CPU? That sort of thing interests me.

Otherwise, I'll keep Modicia in mind as a potential distro for the future, see what happens when it shows up on Distro Watch (so I can get more info about it), etc. But I wouldn't be in a rush to switch to it.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 05:27 PM   #14
s wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
I have no interest in using Pulseaudio for Reaper since it has significant latency. (I imagine most Reaper users feel similarly.) If I wanted to do what you do, I might accept that compromise. However I'm just using Reaper for Linux (no Windows plugins either, nothing WINE-based at all).

Modicia might be appealing to me if I knew it worked as well as the distro I'm using (MX Linux), when using Reaper (for Linux) with ALSA. If it isn't as stable/fast, I wouldn't use it.

What distros have you compared it to? Can you get just as low latency with ALSA (and/or JACK) in Reaper for Linux, and have you done tests to see if it uses the same (or less) CPU? That sort of thing interests me.

Otherwise, I'll keep Modicia in mind as a potential distro for the future, see what happens when it shows up on Distro Watch (so I can get more info about it), etc. But I wouldn't be in a rush to switch to it.
Its very light on CPU and resources better in some ways. I will let you know latency when I strip it down and run tests (take a week or two-very busy) Will let you know about Jack and ALSA. I understand where you are coming from with live latency.
Old 02-16-2019, 05:29 PM   #15
s wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dug dog View Post
Cool! Please keep us in the loop.
will do... 'if you are not getting nervous over you dreams... you should dream bigger dreams'.
Old 02-17-2019, 02:59 AM   #16
4duhwinnn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangeppato View Post
So it's Xubuntu with some stuff preinstalled? Why creating another distro? I'll never get that...
Making or modifying your work and play environments can be
a craft
an art form
a place for applied knowledge to be utilized
a lab for scientific technical experimentation
a season of freedom spent renewing ones passions
It's all good. There are plenty of teams doing it,
and plenty of individuals, and always room for many more,
Being devoted to making things better is a great way to live.
Cheers
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 10:07 PM   #17
s wave

Default Modicia RT kernel install

Below is RT install for MODICIA. Hope it is useful...
Remember that this INSTALL is SPECIFIC for MODICIA OS... and it is just in the roll out phase. I have found it rock solid BUT I can only speak for my specific PC & hardware and set-up. I would advise to read up and test using live boot to become familiar with it. I use a dedicated hard drive... gl

Modicia OS - Kernel Low Latency (Real Time Kernel)

Introduction - Installation - A tarting - Configuration - Parameters realtime- realtime Group Guide verified with MODICIA OS Desktop Ultimate 19.068

Introduction
The management of system processes by the kernel is characterized by a certain latency (time interval). In some specific areas, such as in professional audio / video editing, it is necessary to be able to lower this latency. Take for example the case of multiple audio tracks played simultaneously with the need to record one live. In situations like this the system can experience delays in both reproduction and audio recording.
Increasingly powerful processors and RAM have reduced problems of this type and recent computers do not need the real time kernel.

Installation
Install the linux-lowlatency package.
From the terminal type the following commands in sequence and confirm:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install linux-lowlatency linux-headers-lowlatency

Restart the system.
The new kernel will appear in the list of bootable kernels in the Grub menu. If MODICIA OS is the only system installed, to display the menu simply hold down the left Shift key (Shift) after turning on the computer.

Select the linux-lowlatency entry and press Enter.

Start - If you want the system to start to the always low-latency kernel, but the latter was not set as the default kernel, press ALT + SPACE BAR and type Grub Customizer (In Linux MODICIA OS is already installed and ready to use with the graphical interface) and select the desired Kernel as default .
Configuration

To make sure that some multimedia software can fully exploit the low latency it is necessary:
Set the realtime parameters in the file /etc/security/limits.conf
make sure your user belongs to the realtime group.

Realtime parameters
Open with administrative privileges and with a text editor the file /etc/security/limits.conf.
Insert the following strings before the string # End of file:
@realtime - rtprio 99
@realtime - unlimited memlock
and then save and close the file.
Realtime group
If it is not already present (check in the file / etc / group) add the realtime group by typing in a terminal:
sudo groupadd realtime
Add your user to the realtime group with the command:
sudo usermod -a -G realtime $ USER

This guide is intended for audio users who have old computers and need to compensate with the real time kernel. ATTENTION there is a serious risk that the operating system will no longer be started in the event of hardware failure or incorrect installation. MODICIA is not responsible in any way for any damage suffered by this procedure. Performing the procedure - you do it at your own risk.

[I personally thank Modicia (as well as REAPER) for all their personal and compassionate support.]
Old 03-29-2019, 09:52 AM   #18
s wave

Default Modicia OS - Kernel Low Latency (Real Time Kernel)

Helpful pages from Modecia in different languages:

This guide is on the home page and on all the MODICIA social networks.
Best wishes.

HOW TO INSTALL REALTIME KERNEL ON MODICIA O.S.

VIDEO DEMO on YouTube

IT - https://www.mediafire.com/file/6iaq7...tenza.pdf/file

EN - https://www.mediafire.com/file/177m8...tency.pdf/file

ES - https://www.mediafire.com/file/ckhkc...encia.pdf/file

PT - https://www.mediafire.com/file/x0lcu...cy%A0.pdf/file

DE - https://www.mediafire.com/file/6iyk6...tency.pdf/file

FR - https://www.mediafire.com/file/zy8u8...tency.pdf/file

Courtesy of MODECIA and again much thanks to the Modecia team.
Old 03-29-2019, 11:21 AM   #19
s wave

Here is the text if mediafire isn't working.

Modicia OS - Kernel Low Latency (Real Time Kernel)

Introduction - Installation - A tarting - Configuration - Parameters realtime- realtime Group
Guide verified with MODICIA OS Desktop Ultimate 19.068

Introduction
The management of system processes by the kernel is characterized by a certain latency (time interval). In
some specific areas, such as in professional audio / video editing, it is necessary to be able to lower this
latency.
Take for example the case of multiple audio tracks played simultaneously with the need to record one
live. In situations like this the system can experience delays in both reproduction and audio recording.
Increasingly powerful processors and RAM have reduced problems of this type and recent computers do
not need the real time kernel.

Installation
Install the linux-lowlatency package.
From the terminal type the following commands in sequence and confirm:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install linux-lowlatency linux-headers-lowlatency
Restart the system.
The new kernel will appear in the list of bootable kernels in the Grub menu. If MODICIA OS is the only
system installed, to display the menu simply hold down the left Shift key (Shift) after turning on the
computer.
Select the linux-lowlatency entry and press Enter.

StartIf you want the system starts to the always low-latency kernel, but the latter was not set as the default
kernel, press ALT + SPACE BAR and type Grub Customizer (In Linux MODICIA OS is already installed and
ready to use with the graphical interface) and select the desired Kernel as default .
Configuration
To make sure that some multimedia software can fully exploit the low latency it is necessary:
set the realtime parameters in the file /etc/security/limits.conf
make sure your user belongs to the realtime group.
Realtime parameters
Open with administrative privileges and with a text editor the file /etc/security/limits.conf.
Insert the following strings before the string # End of file:
@realtime - rtprio 99
@realtime - unlimited memlock
and then save and close the file.
Realtime group
If it is not already present (check in the file / etc / group) add the realtime group by typing in a terminal:
sudo groupadd realtime
Add your user to the realtime group with the command:
sudo usermod -a -G realtime $ USER

This guide is intended for audio users who have old computers and need to compensate with the real time
kernel. Attention there is a serious risk that the operating system will no longer be started in the event of
hardware failure or incorrect installation. MODICIA is not responsible in any way for any damage suffered by
this procedure. Performing the procedure you do it at your own risk.

tc
Old 03-30-2019, 06:45 AM   #20
Jack Winter

I think "@realtime - unlimited memlock" ought to be "@realtime - memlock unlimited".

And possible better to limit rtprio to 98, as there are some kernel house keeping threads running at 99 that we probably don't want to interfere with.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 11:06 PM   #21
s wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
I think "@realtime - unlimited memlock" ought to be "@realtime - memlock unlimited".

And possible better to limit rtprio to 98, as there are some kernel house keeping threads running at 99 that we probably don't want to interfere with.
Thanks for the insights... When I finish with the permutations (week or so) I will post results. What you say does make total sense. tc