Old 10-01-2014, 04:06 PM   #1
mjackfert
Human being with feelings

Default Clicks and Pops in Playback

I have a brand new Lenovo Y50 that I've put Reaper on. I've put East West Orchestra on the hard drive and NI's Kontakt on a External Hard Drive with USB 3.0. I'm getting a whole lot of clicks and pops even though the computer RAM (8 GB) doesn't go over 50%, and I'm using ASIO at 512 buffer size. This was running well on my old Dell computer which had Windows 7. I'm wondering if this this is a compatibility issue with Windows, an issue with the computer or Audio Driver, or just one of my settings needs switched. Please help, the samples on the external hard drive seem to be performing the worst.

Thank you.
mjackfert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 12:27 PM   #2
mjackfert

Are there no other ways to get support with Reaper? This doesn't seem like the most effective method.
Old 10-02-2014, 02:02 PM   #3
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjackfert View Post
I have a brand new Lenovo Y50 that I've put Reaper on. I've put East West Orchestra on the hard drive and NI's Kontakt on a External Hard Drive with USB 3.0. I'm getting a whole lot of clicks and pops even though the computer RAM (8 GB) doesn't go over 50%, and I'm using ASIO at 512 buffer size. This was running well on my old Dell computer which had Windows 7. I'm wondering if this this is a compatibility issue with Windows, an issue with the computer or Audio Driver, or just one of my settings needs switched. Please help, the samples on the external hard drive seem to be performing the worst.

Thank you.
Quote:
Are there no other ways to get support with Reaper? This doesn't seem like the most effective method.
Hi mjackfert and welcome to the forum.

I don't know anything about a Lenovo Y50 but a google search tells me it's a laptop with an i5 processor. Also the ones I saw had only a 5400 rpm hard drive which could be the source of some of your problems.

Also I think using outboard drives even if they are USB3 are still a little iffy, although I could be wrong about that.

Check to see if your HD is only 5400 rpm, that could be the source of some of your problems.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 02:16 PM   #4
mjackfert

Thank you for your reply, that is much appreciated.

Indeed, it is a 5400 rpm Hard Drive, though I have an i7 processor (and a 24 GB SSD which I have the Hollywood Strings on, which seems to be doing ok). The samples on the HD have issues though. You could be right that it could be a slow Hard Drive. However, it seems like the samples on the external are having more issues than the ones on the hard drive, but that setup used to work well on my Dell.

Am I stuck with a computer that can't handle this stuff? I've had it for less than a month, maybe I should take it back.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:11 PM   #5
Tod

Quote:
Thank you for your reply, that is much appreciated.

Indeed, it is a 5400 rpm Hard Drive, though I have an i7 processor (and a 24 GB SSD which I have the Hollywood Strings on, which seems to be doing ok). The samples on the HD have issues though. You could be right that it could be a slow Hard Drive. However, it seems like the samples on the external are having more issues than the ones on the hard drive, but that setup used to work well on my Dell.

Am I stuck with a computer that can't handle this stuff? I've had it for less than a month, maybe I should take it back.
In all honesty mjackfert, it's pretty common knowledge about the difference between 5400RPM vrs 7200RPM when it comes to streaming audio or video. Your SSD should certainly be good. From what I understand though, external HDs can be iffy.

Actually I also have an i5 desktop with 8-gig of RAM along with an external backup drive (USB2) that I've run Reaper from and not had a problem. I've also run Reaper from USB sticks.

However, all my HD drives are 7200RPM. Maybe that makes the difference.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:17 PM   #6
mjackfert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
In all honesty mjackfert, it's pretty common knowledge about the difference between 5400RPM vrs 7200RPM when it comes to streaming audio or video. Your SSD should certainly be good. From what I understand though, external HDs can be iffy.

Actually I also have an i5 desktop with 8-gig of RAM along with an external backup drive (USB2) that I've run Reaper from and not had a problem. I've also run Reaper from USB sticks.

However, all my HD drives are 7200RPM. Maybe that makes the difference.

That's good to know. I guess I'm kind of screwed with this one. I think I must've made a bad purchase.
Would it be best to try to return the laptop?
Old 10-02-2014, 03:42 PM   #7
Tod

Quote:
That's good to know. I guess I'm kind of screwed with this one. I think I must've made a bad purchase.
Would it be best to try to return the laptop?
I can't really answer that for you mjackfert, but if it were me, yes I would try return it if I could because the 5200RPM is going to be crippling no matter what.

Then I'd do some research on the whole matter and make a decision on how to proceed. I think your SSD was a good choice although it seems to be a little small, was that an external or internal drive?

Old 10-02-2014, 03:50 PM   #8
Tod

Quote:
I should probably clarify this a little bit, I don't normally run Reaper from either the External drive or the USB stick, however I've done it quite a few times just for experimenting purposes. However, 90% of the time or more, certainly for all my serious projects I'm using my two internal Hard Drives which are both 7200RPM and 2TB.

I don't have any SSD but maybe on my next audio build.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:55 PM   #9
mjackfert

Quote:
I can't really answer that for you mjackfert, but if it were me, yes I would try return it if I could because the 5200RPM is going to be crippling no matter what.

Then I'd do some research on the whole matter and make a decision on how to proceed. I think your SSD was a good choice although it seems to be a little small, was that an external or internal drive?

Thank you for that again. I really appreciate the help. That's good to know about HD speed. The HD is internal and I also have an external one. The SSD is also internal. It's nice but too small for all of the samples. I thought I would only need it for Hollywood Strings.

I tried to do some research on the subject, but either I'm bad at googling or I just can't find anything. Obviously, my failings at research led me to this poor purchase.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:22 PM   #10
Tod

Quote:
Thank you for that again. I really appreciate the help. That's good to know about HD speed. The HD is internal and I also have an external one. The SSD is also internal. It's nice but too small for all of the samples. I thought I would only need it for Hollywood Strings.

I tried to do some research on the subject, but either I'm bad at googling or I just can't find anything. Obviously, my failings at research led me to this poor purchase.
Just a quick google gave me this:

http://music.tutsplus.com/tutorials/...s--audio-17025

There's some pretty good info there.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:45 PM   #11
mjackfert

Quote:
Just a quick google gave me this:

http://music.tutsplus.com/tutorials/...s--audio-17025

There's some pretty good info there.
Ok great, thank you so much for your help. Sounds like I'm just an idiot.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:57 PM   #12
Tod

Quote:
Ok great, thank you so much for your help. Sounds like I'm just an idiot.
No Not at all, you just hadn't come in contact with it yet. Thing's like this happens to all of us.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:14 PM   #13
mjackfert

This is going to sound stupid, but what words did you google?
Old 10-02-2014, 10:26 PM   #14
Tod

Quote:
This is going to sound stupid, but what words did you google?
Oh boy, heh heh, I'm not exactly sure.

Maybe something like "5400RPM vrs 7200RPM for Audio".

Something along those lines, just use your imagination.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:13 AM   #15
serr

Quote:

A 5400rpm drive in general and then USB external are literally the slowest performers you can find (both speed and especially access time). Poor performance for DAW work.

You didn't so much make a poor decision. You just haven't purchased your main SSD yet! Think of the stock drive you got as a cursory free stock device.

You can get a SATA 240GB SSD for $80 - $110 depending on any current sales. Treat yourself to an upgrade.
For example: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...533&CatId=5300

OS/apps/*audio on the SSD
* This is your high performance audio workspace.
And yes a single SSD makes a faster system than multiple HDD's.

If samples are played from the drive, then put at least the ones you use often on the SSD. If they load into RAM and play that way, putting them on the SSD would only speed up the loading time (which could still be important for live performance).

Use your HDD's for backup and/or storage. Media archive, old projects, rarely used large sample libraries and the like. Use USB external drives for backup volumes.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 04:04 PM   #16
mjackfert

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
A 5400rpm drive in general and then USB external are literally the slowest performers you can find (both speed and especially access time). Poor performance for DAW work.

You didn't so much make a poor decision. You just haven't purchased your main SSD yet! Think of the stock drive you got as a cursory free stock device.

You can get a SATA 240GB SSD for $80 - $110 depending on any current sales. Treat yourself to an upgrade.
For example: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...533&CatId=5300

OS/apps/*audio on the SSD
* This is your high performance audio workspace.
And yes a single SSD makes a faster system than multiple HDD's.

If samples are played from the drive, then put at least the ones you use often on the SSD. If they load into RAM and play that way, putting them on the SSD would only speed up the loading time (which could still be important for live performance).

Use your HDD's for backup and/or storage. Media archive, old projects, rarely used large sample libraries and the like. Use USB external drives for backup volumes.

This is an interesting idea. Do you know if installing these is relatively easy? Do things like that often void the warranty? I think the samples are played from the HD and not RAM so a SSD would be useful. Or I could take this one back and get a new one since I've only had it a couple weeks....
Old 10-03-2014, 05:23 PM   #17
Tod

Quote:
This is an interesting idea. Do you know if installing these is relatively easy? Do things like that often void the warranty? I think the samples are played from the HD and not RAM so a SSD would be useful. Or I could take this one back and get a new one since I've only had it a couple weeks....
Hi mjackfert, I think you have a few more rather important questions you should maybe ask yourself.

Where do you want to put your Software Programs, such as Reaper as well as all the FX?

Where do you want to put your Project Files? This one can be important because you'll probably be playing your audio from disk. Plus these files along with the audio files can build up fairly fast.

How big is a 240gig drive, is it big enough? Now days 240gig isn't all that much. I personally have a computer with 1TB for my C:/ drive and software programs and a 2TB drive (D:/) for my Audio, Samples, and Project files. My C:/ drive is about 25% full and my D:/ drive is over half full. I also have a 2TB backup drive which is USB and it's about 70% full. All thses drives are 7200RPM.

Now I don't know this for sure because I've always had drives that were 7200RPM, that's been a known prerequisite for audio for years. However, I would take the computer back if you can and get one with a 7200RPM drive. For myself, it would give me some real piece of mind.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:04 PM   #18
mjackfert

Quote:
Hi mjackfert, I think you have a few more rather important questions you should maybe ask yourself.

Where do you want to put your Software Programs, such as Reaper as well as all the FX?

Where do you want to put your Project Files? This one can be important because you'll probably be playing your audio from disk. Plus these files along with the audio files can build up fairly fast.

How big is a 240gig drive, is it big enough? Now days 240gig isn't all that much. I personally have a computer with 1TB for my C:/ drive and software programs and a 2TB drive (D:/) for my Audio, Samples, and Project files. My C:/ drive is about 25% full and my D:/ drive is over half full. I also have a 2TB backup drive which is USB and it's about 70% full. All thses drives are 7200RPM.

Now I don't know this for sure because I've always had drives that were 7200RPM, that's been a known prerequisite for audio for years. However, I would take the computer back if you can and get one with a 7200RPM drive. For myself, it would give me some real piece of mind.
Thank you for that, that's good to know. I may just get a new laptop. Many of the ones I've seen now seem to come with the 5400 rpm HDs for some reason. A few have the higher 7200 rpm. It seems like the ones with the SSD are really expensive for not a lot of data. It could be that a large 7200 rpm drive could be the best bet if there are some in my price range still out there.
Old 10-05-2014, 01:41 PM   #19
mjackfert

Quote:
Thank you for that, that's good to know. I may just get a new laptop. Many of the ones I've seen now seem to come with the 5400 rpm HDs for some reason. A few have the higher 7200 rpm. It seems like the ones with the SSD are really expensive for not a lot of data. It could be that a large 7200 rpm drive could be the best bet if there are some in my price range still out there.
Does anyone have any good laptop recommendations for audio processing, etc?