Old 06-13-2011, 01:26 PM   #1
Tedwood
Human being with feelings

Default Tube disto/OD fans cheap solution

I bought one of these and tried it at a gig last week. Used an Ibanez as93, everyone said it sounded great. I never turned it off, I just altered the drive control slightly for different songs

Less than £30!

Sounded superb for that clean/breaking up tone. Has true bypass and is made of metal. I have used many others, but I really love the fact that this seems not to lose clarity and sparkle and adds a very convincing tube overdriven sound. Your guitar will still sound like your guitar - but your amp will sound like it's running real hot. I would probably not take the drive control beyond around 1/3rd of the way up, so there is plenty of drive for you real hot rod fans. It's dead quiet too

An absolute bargain for the price

There's a mp3 sample on their web site as well, and I can verify it's not hyped

Last edited by Tedwood; 06-13-2011 at 01:34 PM.
Tedwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:35 PM   #2
Bezmotivnik

The v.1 was an SMT copy of the boutique "Timmy," to the point that Evets/Danelectro was confronted by the builder and shamed into changing the circuit to the v.2, although they were under no legal obligation to do so (and I wouldn't have, in their shoes).

I saw the original v.1s go new for as little as US$20 a couple of years ago.

The originals were highly regarded, but I've never used one. Though I have somewhere between two and three dozen, I confess I've never heard a dirtbox I didn't think sounded better off than on.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:17 PM   #3
Tedwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bezmotivnik View Post

The originals were highly regarded, but I've never used one. Though I have somewhere between two and three dozen, I confess I've never heard a dirtbox I didn't think sounded better off than on.
You do realise what you are saying there?

You don't need one, you have two or three dozen, but you don't like any of them........

err, I think you have loads of guitars and basses as well don't you? No problem, but...

This was a heads up for those people on a budget that really could use a good one

Last edited by Tedwood; 06-13-2011 at 05:57 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:08 PM   #4
Bezmotivnik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedwood View Post
You do realise what you are saying there?

You don't need one, you have two or three dozen, but you don't like any of them........
Yes, I said it. I didn't say it made any sense.

Actually, it does, sort of. I'll eventually trade these off or sell them at a little profit and in the meantime I've fooled around with them a bit. That's all I ask of gear. It's a modest goal.

My problem with stompboxes of nearly all kinds is that they're just death on tone and presence.

Of all the amps around here, the best-sounding for single-coil Fender is an old Roland, which is just beautiful -- clear, immediate, realistic, perfect -- an ideal tone stack better than any Fender's.

If I put a dirtbox (any of them) inline into that amp, with any level of gain or distortion, the sound is like I've thrown a mattress over everything, and no amount of twiddling will winch it up out of that bog, until I stomp off the effect.

Nearly every effect in the place -- analog or digital -- robs the sound of those essential frequencies. I have one compressor that doesn't and a few modulation effects that don't screw it up too badly. That's pretty much it.

But this is the least of my worries. I go in Thursday for neurosurgery on my left pinky after cutting some nerves in it. I'll be in a cast for about eight weeks, and there's no guarantee that it will restore feeling in the finger.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:22 PM   #5
Tedwood

Bet even you don't have one of these though

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/produc...he-fatboy.html

Sounds some like a Fender x Vox combo. trust me, I've both. Rare as hens teeth, and if you do find one for sale it will be cheap, because it's a sleeper.

These amps have an uncanny abililty to sound just as loud, sparkling and warm from 15 feet away as they do standing right in front of them. I'm not selling mine any time soon
Old 06-13-2011, 09:55 PM   #6
Lowell Mather 5150

Quote:
Yes, I said it. I didn't say it made any sense.

Actually, it does, sort of. I'll eventually trade these off or sell them at a little profit and in the meantime I've fooled around with them a bit. That's all I ask of gear. It's a modest goal.

My problem with stompboxes of nearly all kinds is that they're just death on tone and presence.

Of all the amps around here, the best-sounding for single-coil Fender is an old Roland, which is just beautiful -- clear, immediate, realistic, perfect -- an ideal tone stack better than any Fender's.

If I put a dirtbox (any of them) inline into that amp, with any level of gain or distortion, the sound is like I've thrown a mattress over everything, and no amount of twiddling will winch it up out of that bog, until I stomp off the effect.

Nearly every effect in the place -- analog or digital -- robs the sound of those essential frequencies. I have one compressor that doesn't and a few modulation effects that don't screw it up too badly. That's pretty much it.

But this is the least of my worries. I go in Thursday for neurosurgery on my left pinky after cutting some nerves in it. I'll be in a cast for about eight weeks, and there's no guarantee that it will restore feeling in the finger.
If you're talking about a JC-120, no arguments that it is a good fit for a Strat or Tele - but so are many beloved and revered amps. Driving a solidstate amp with OD is a whole different animal than driving the front end of an all tube amp - and certainly less pleasant (with some rare exceptions).

I have heard good things about Dano pedals but in a live situation I would want something with sturdier housing - I believe some of their earlier incaranations were in metal housings. Nevertheless, there are as many variations in OD pedals as there are guitars, strings, amps and players. I prefer using amp distortion, but guitarfetish pedals (all metal housing), which are a rebrand of some other import pedal also seem like a good value.

Best of luck in healing that pinky man.
Lowell Mather 5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:04 PM   #7
Tedwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowell Mather 5150 View Post

I have heard good things about Dano pedals but in a live situation I would want something with sturdier housing - I believe some of their earlier incaranations were in metal housings. Nevertheless, there are as many variations in OD pedals as there are guitars, strings, amps and players. I prefer using amp distortion, but guitarfetish pedals (all metal housing), which are a rebrand of some other import pedal also seem like a good value.

Dude, the pedal in the OT is a metal housing, it's true bypass, and it also has some "under the hood" preset pots, for you to adjust to taste.

It does not cost £70 - it costs £30. I have pedals for stage use, the build is good, but I'll probaly change the horrible knobs

Main thing though is it sounds way better than any other OD pedal I've had, and I've loads.

Last edited by Tedwood; 06-13-2011 at 11:17 PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:58 AM   #8
Banned

Never mind guitar. I wonder how it sounds on a TB-303. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 06-14-2011, 07:26 AM   #9
jacobestes

Well, I thought this was interesting.
jacobestes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:06 PM   #10
Bezmotivnik

Quote:
I have heard good things about Dano pedals but in a live situation I would want something with sturdier housing - I believe some of their earlier incaranations were in metal housings.
These versions are in metal housings. The only gripe people have about them is the control & I/O placement, which drives people up the wall who use them live and want to fiddle with the knobs.

The v.1 was a big deal here in the effects forums when it came out because it was a Timmy for $25 instead of whatever ridiculous price the real thing was going for.

Some of Evets' stomps are extremely rugged, like their high-end Wasabi line:

[The Wasabi Overdrive ^ is about the most complex analog dirtbox in history (there are more controls on the front). Any good? I dunno, I have a couple of them I got new for $20 but got bored screwing with them long before I found a useful setting. They do have a wet/dry setting and a separate 5/10dB clean boost.]

Quote:
Yeah, thanks. I'm going to be in a cast up to my elbow. maybe I'll post a picture.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:37 PM   #11
Lowell Mather 5150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedwood View Post
Dude, the pedal in the OT is a metal housing, it's true bypass, and it also has some "under the hood" preset pots, for you to adjust to taste.

It does not cost £70 - it costs £30. I have pedals for stage use, the build is good, but I'll probaly change the horrible knobs

Main thing though is it sounds way better than any other OD pedal I've had, and I've loads.
True bypass and metal housing? You really can't bead that deal. Wow, was under the impression that dano went all plastic awhile back.

I see what Bez is saying about the i/o, you can't really use offsets with them if that's your thing. I can definitely see why guys rehouse them.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:38 PM   #12
ObiK

Danelectro has some solid pedals for cheap.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:29 PM   #13
Bezmotivnik

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, thanks. I'm going to be in a cast up to my elbow. maybe I'll post a picture.
Doctor says, "Complete success!" This was not a foregone conclusion.

Incredible scene, nine (9) people in the operating room working on me, state of the art microsurgery, one of the best hand surgeons in the US leading the team, Classic Rock in the OR in my honor as a musician (although I was far too doped to notice) at least two of the surgeons were guitarists. It was something.

When American medicine actually works, it works really, really well.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:37 AM   #14
Lowell Mather 5150

Outstanding...now you can look forward to the hours of woodshedding
to get you back to where you were!