Old 10-03-2018, 05:49 PM   #1
Jae.Thomas
Human being with feelings

Default ARA2 tempo mapping/manipulation

I think my previous thread was far too broad... so let me start a different one...

Working with tempo is one of the main things I think people will like about ARA in reaper, and I think it looks pretty awesome in Studio One:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud3sMxfAW6c

How can we do this?

It would be great to analyze a track or a few, and then get the tempo from that, and then apply it to the tempo map. I've done this with non-ARA melodyne with great success.

At the moment, we are also faced with out of sync weirdness and such, and it seems that Melodyne doesn't really know whats going on here.

As I said in a different post:

Quote:
I don't know if this is possible for reaper, but if Reaper could just tell Melodyne "assume project tempo unless otherwise instructed" that would be great.

So, if a song is recorded at 90 beats per minute, regardless if it's actually AT those beats per minute, melodyne thinks it's at 90 bpm.

If the user wants melodyne to tempo map the piece, he can then do other things... but imo it should just do a number of things automatically...

we could have options in how files are treated with ARA, but I think right off the bat, it should just detect it in the background, save it's data about what it knows, and then you can manipulate later.

You insert melodyne
Melodyne gets access to the audio
melodyne gets all of the information it can about the audio (it can even detect the tempo it THINKS it is)
melodyne DOES nothing as far as adjustments
melodyne plays back, assuming tempo is correct

Then you can edit
Working with tempo can be really awesome, but I'm not sure what connections have been made with Reaper's ARA implementation as of yet.

Last edited by Jae.Thomas; 10-04-2018 at 05:10 AM.
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 03:31 AM   #2
krahosk

Jason, could you repost the video link? It's broken.
krahosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 05:11 AM   #3
Jae.Thomas

i just took the tags out
Old 10-04-2018, 05:33 AM   #4
Janne83

In connection with the video:

1.Put Melodyne on the track where you want to take the tempo from

2. Wait until it does the detection

3. Click on the dropdown next to the bpm field in melodyne window and choose Assign file tempo and a tempo graph will open above the blobs in melodyne window where you can do any fine tunning if necessary

4. Click on the + button on the melodyne window (its the upper Reaper part where the param button and bypass is) and choose ARA/export to project/ tempo (you can also export notes or both)

Please note that I dont know if this works in lower versions of Melodyne. I havethe Studio version

Hope this is some help
Old 10-04-2018, 08:28 AM   #5
Jae.Thomas

Holy shit I didn't even know that existed, thanks
Old 10-04-2018, 01:57 PM   #6
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janne83 View Post
In connection with the video:

1.Put Melodyne on the track where you want to take the tempo from

2. Wait until it does the detection

3. Click on the dropdown next to the bpm field in melodyne window and choose Assign file tempo and a tempo graph will open above the blobs in melodyne window where you can do any fine tunning if necessary

4. Click on the + button on the melodyne window (its the upper Reaper part where the param button and bypass is) and choose ARA/export to project/ tempo (you can also export notes or both)

Please note that I dont know if this works in lower versions of Melodyne. I havethe Studio version

Hope this is some help

eh, the tempo thing is always greyed out for me.

Also, I then got the media item stretching to a super fast amount and then reaper just shut down without warning...
Old 10-04-2018, 11:01 PM   #7
Janne83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
eh, the tempo thing is always greyed out for me.

Also, I then got the media item stretching to a super fast amount and then reaper just shut down without warning...
It changes rate if you press the confirm tempo(from x to y) in the melodynes bpm menu.

It also changes rate if you have timebase for items set to beats (position,lengthh,rate) in media item or project settings- beats (position only) setting doesnt stretch the item when the tempo changes

which version of melodyne do you have essential, editor or studio?
essential has only basic tempo functions.

regarding the crsh I suggest you report it to the devs here and support at Celemony.
Old 10-05-2018, 04:20 AM   #8
Jae.Thomas

its the studio version - i am trying a demo on a non studio (but well spec'd) pc
Old 10-05-2018, 05:23 AM   #9
Janne83

Im sure there will be more testing/fixing done since its finally released. There are quite a few small issues to be fixed.