Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 05-09-2013, 11:26 PM   #121
SuprchrgedSi
Human being with feelings

Default Mouse select issue

Hey Karbo,

I'm having the same issue as Bigopigo had where the FP is not updating the last touched track when I add a track or select a different one. What version of reaper are you running? I updated to the latest to see if that would fix it, but both 4.34 and 4.402 have the same issue.

-Jimmy
SuprchrgedSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:35 PM   #122
DuX

Now that Andy bt mentioned it, it wouldn't be bad to have an assignable function for shift+pan, yes. Like, it could be a normal pan, but with shift engaged it could be used to select the tracks or vice versa.

Regarding automation, I installed my Faderport to a friend's computer, and tried it with Cubase. It is interesting how Cubase goes into a "touch" mode automatically when you touch the fader and turns it off automatically when you let it go. Is it possible to do it with Reaper, too? It would save us a click to turn off the automation. Although, I'm satisfied with how it works right now. I manage. Just asking.

Regarding the lights that stay lit when I exit Reaper, the same thing happens with Cubase, so I assume there's nothing anybody but Presonus could do about it.

The more I worked with this little buddy, the more I can't do without it any more, and I would like to even control Foobar2000 with it. LOL But there's no Foobar plugin for that. You've done great work here Karbomusic! Thank you so much! Without your skills we would be stuck with such limited functionality... Your DLL is the reason I bought Faderport, actually.

Last edited by DuX; 05-10-2013 at 01:41 PM.
DuX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:47 PM   #123
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuX View Post
Now that Andy bt mentioned it, it wouldn't be bad to have an assignable function for shift+pan, yes. Like, it could be a normal pan, but with shift engaged it could be used to select the tracks or vice versa.
As soon as I get some time to kick back and pull it up I'll give it a whirl.

Quote:
Regarding automation, I installed my Faderport to a friend's computer, and tried it with Cubase. It is interesting how Cubase goes into a "touch" mode automatically when you touch the fader and turns it off automatically when you let it go. Is it possible to do it with Reaper, too? It would save us a click to turn off the automation. Although, I'm satisfied with how it works right now. I manage. Just asking.
Not a bad idea and will look.

Quote:
Regarding the lights that stay lit when I exit Reaper, the same thing happens with Cubase, so I assume there's nothing anybody but Presonus could do about it.
There is a function in the base Faderport code from cockos that is called or commented as "lights out" and I used it for some button lights. Point being I remember it doesn't always turn all the lights out and I can't remember now why which could very well be my fault. If I can fix I will.

Quote:
The more I worked with this little buddy, the more I can't do without it any more, and I would like to even control Foobar2000 with it. LOL But there's no Foobar plugin for that. You've done great work here Karbomusic! Thank you so much! Without your skills we would be stuck with such limited functionality... Your DLL is the reason I bought Faderport, actually.
Same here, once I got used to the FP its indispensible to me now and I find my self trying to use it outside of reaper which well doesn't work. Great little device once up and running.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:15 PM   #124
karbomusic

Default Oops

It looks like the stash build was out of date and likely not containing the latest changes. I just rebuilt with the latest changes and updated all the links in the stash and this thread. Here is the very latest version.

https://stash.reaper.fm/10643/FaderPortXT.zip

This post contains information about the latest changes so you know what they are:

http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...8&postcount=47

I found this because I thought I fixed the lights not properly turning off when closing Reaper. On my system this latest build does shut off the lights when closing. If the light doesn't turn off for you, try the above latest build and let me know A) if it still stays on and B) under what circumstances if there are any.

Thanks!
Old 05-10-2013, 06:35 PM   #125
karbomusic

Quote:
It is interesting how Cubase goes into a "touch" mode automatically when you touch the fader and turns it off automatically when you let it go.
Do you mean the touch light comes on and it goes into touch mode when you touch the fader? This currently doesn't happen in reaper. If so I'm not sure I fully understand this one.

Or.. do you mean touch is already enabled (light is on) and the automation envelope on the track engages/disengages when you touch the fader? The fader has a tiny touch sensitive switch which controls the touch behavior AKA automation points being added when you touch the fader and not when you release. This currently does (or should) happen in reaper when in touch mode (touch light is on).
Old 05-16-2013, 02:05 AM   #126
DuX

Yes, karbomusic. In Cubase, when you touch the fader, the "touch" button lights up and when you press the "write"button you can start writing the automation. The "touch" button turns off when you release it. It's a convenient indicator to let you know you're touching the fader... but a bit of a cosmetic feature, wouldn't you say? There is another more important [also more cosmetic kinda] problem with automation in Reaper with Faderport: When you set Reaper to go into read automation mode immediately after you finish recording it [preferences>automation>"after recording automation - switch to read mode" option], the "write" button on the Faderport stays lit and doesn't go into "read" mode, so it could confuse some people seeing Reaper going into "read" mode, but on the Faderport the "write" button is still lit. Haven't you noticed that? Maybe you don't use that feature. So it seems like the Faderport just don't get the notice from Reaper that it changed the automation mode to "read". It might be more of a Reaper problem than FPs, yes it probably is.

Speaking of "cosmetic" features, did you know that all buttons on Faderport have lights? I was just cleaning it today. I mean, I took it completely apart and cleaned, and I saw that every button has a light. Then I tried it with Cubase again [that I don't use], since I vaguely remembered seeing them light up in it, and yes! - all the buttons when pressed light up! I mean "mix", "proj", "trns", "undo" and "punch" and "user", that don't light up in Reaper. Interesting?

I've been reading about Faderport in Studio One, and noticed that FP users that use it with Studio One, massively use the pan pot with "shift" engaged for shuttling. You know, like a jog wheel, but not scratch wheel, Reaper has "shuttle", too. Would it be possible to make that feature available with Reaper, too? That would be neat since sometimes [all the time LOL] "rewind" and "f.forward" just don't cut it... they work very slow.

I've been using this newer driver for the Faderport for a while now, and I must say that it still leaves some buttons lit when I exit Reaper. Usually "output", "loop", "mute" or "write". Sometimes a combo of buttons stays lit. It also happens with Cubase, as I said, so maybe there's something a little wrong with my Faderport...

When I bought it, I had to update the firmware to 1.38 in order for the motorised fader to work. So I have the latest firmware. I use Reaper 32bit in very lean Windows XP [my "DuXP nLited" ]. Just to let you know.

While I was cleaning my Faderport, I also noticed a little button on the back, between the power plug and the USB plug, that you can push with a needle or a toothpick through this little hole. It looks like a little hole you have on DVDs and CDs to force the drawer out. Behind it, it is a "full blown", nice little micro-switch. Given that Presonus try to save every cent they can everywhere [and that's bad, I don't like that company - lots of their stuff fails after a while, bad Q-control...], I don't think they would put it there for nothing, yet there's no mention of it anywhere, not even in the FP manual. Does anybody know what does this button do??? Some kind of "reset"? For what?

By the way, I have found the solution for a jerky behaviour of the pan pot at the Presonus forum. Some guy replaced the cheap Alpha pan pot with the similar ALPS pot and got the pan and shuttle to work smoothly. This is the pot he replaced the faulty cheapo one with: http://www.alps.com/WebObjects/catal...2E2420801.html The one that Presonus put in the FP costs 0.4$, and this one costs about 3$... speaking of savings, huh? This is the thread where they discuss replacing the pan pot: http://forums.presonus.com/posts/list/60/19455.page

Cheers!

Last edited by DuX; 05-16-2013 at 02:48 AM.
DuX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:31 AM   #127
karbomusic

Quote:
I've been using this newer driver for the Faderport for a while now, and I must say that it still leaves some buttons lit when I exit Reaper. Usually "output", "loop", "mute" or "write". Sometimes a combo of buttons stays lit. It also happens with Cubase, as I said, so maybe there's something a little wrong with my Faderport...
So you are using the build I posted just before your latest post? Anything you downloaded before 5/11/13 could potentially be an outdated build (sorry).

I did a quick test and all lights go off when exiting reaper. They should because the function I mentioned loops through every single button and sends the command to kill the light. So if you will confirm for me that you have the build I created only days ago, I'll go back and test further to make sure I didn't miss something. I've used it extensively over the last few days and all lights have been off as expected (normally that's how I know I have messed around and loaded an outdated version, I'll be using Reaper and see lights on when they shouldn't be)

Yep, all of them have lights. I was actually going to (for fun) put in some code that would cycle all the lights in some animated fashion when Reaper first initializes so that you know just by starting Reaper if you have the version that goes with this thread. I never got around to it, maybe in the future.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:17 AM   #128
Bigopigo

Default Activate FP on mouse touch problem.

Hey!

Just in case any of you have the "FP doesnt activate when choose track with mouse" problem, i read from another thread to uninstall reaper and delete appdata/roaming/reaper folder before reinstalling.

Instead i move the folder to my desktop. Opened reaper. Reaper rebuilt the folder. Them went folder by folder copying themes, templates, etc.

Now its working.

Thanks SuprchrgedSi and Karbo for the help.

Cheers!
Bigopigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:54 AM   #129
ScottyD

Can't wait to try this! My FaderPort hasn't been acting normal for a long time.

-ScottyD
Old 05-20-2013, 06:53 AM   #130
DuX

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
So you are using the build I posted just before your latest post? Anything you downloaded before 5/11/13 could potentially be an outdated build (sorry).
Yap! The latest one. It is weird, isn't it? So it's working for you, but not for me. I wonder why? But it's not such a big problem for me, since I like to see these lights anyway.

I was also wondering about if Faderport could play some demo lights sequence somehow. Maybe if you hold some button pressed when you turn it on.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:45 AM   #131
karbomusic

Quote:
Yap! The latest one. It is weird, isn't it? So it's working for you, but not for me. I wonder why? But it's not such a big problem for me, since I like to see these lights anyway.

I was also wondering about if Faderport could play some demo lights sequence somehow. Maybe if you hold some button pressed when you turn it on.
I used it all weekend but didn't notice anything, however, I wasn't thinking about it meaning I need to play closer attention. I'll try to keep a purposeful eye on the lights this week.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:30 PM   #132
craigdwilliams

Default trouble finding the plugins folder

Hi there,

Long time protools/fader port user here, and looking for an alternative!

Having issues finding where to put the new cdll and delete the old one from.
I would appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction!

Cheers,

Craig
craigdwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:40 PM   #133
Andy_bt

The Faderport should work as stock once selected in the controllers prefs, you'll loose a few functions and the dual pan control though
A.
Andy_bt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:00 PM   #134
craigdwilliams

so this thread and drivers attached are PC only?
Old 05-21-2013, 04:31 PM   #135
DuX

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdwilliams View Post
so this thread and drivers attached are PC only?
Yes. For Windows x86 and x64.

On OS-X you can use the driver that comes with Reaper, which is quite functional. Just go to Preferences>Control Surfaces and add "Faderport XT" there.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:40 PM   #136
karbomusic

Quote:
Yap! The latest one. It is weird, isn't it? So it's working for you, but not for me.
Low and behold I was sitting hear cruising the forum, looked down and noticed the write light was on and Reaper wasn't running. I remember using write mode last night but that's it and I cannot seem to repro it now but will keep my eyes on it.

I know they will stay on if Reaper crashes because the code that shuts down the lights won't get called but once I find a non-crash repro, I'll see if I can fix. Reaper did actually crash a couple times last night due to bad plugin but I want to think my very last run was a clean shutdown. That is usually my habit, if it ever crashes when shutting down a project or something, I always restart and check the project first as a precaution. Its still possible it was crash related so if you find a repro, let me know.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:25 PM   #137
craigdwilliams

Quote:
Yes. For Windows x86 and x64.

On OS-X you can use the driver that comes with Reaper, which is quite functional.
Man, was hoping to get in on the extra functions with these drivers...
Old 06-13-2013, 05:03 PM   #138
bigwoody

Karbo, you are the MAN! I saw the Faderport mentioned on another thread, so after some reviews and reading your stuff I ordered one. I got it today, took it out of the box, followed your instructions and BAM, working great. Time to start a new project and put this baby to the test. I just wanted to say thanks.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:19 AM   #139
jaaypeso

Just wanted to report that I just installed the faderport xt following the tips i this forum and its working perfectly on my 64 bit laptop setup! VERY DOPE combo with reaper.

The only VERY SMALL issue I have is that when I select tracks using the arrow buttons on my qwerty keyboard(which I have configured in the action list to choose the next and previous tracks respectively) the faderport doesn't make the tracks active as I shuffle through using the arrow keys. It only updates the fader (and makes the track active) when I touch the track with a mouse click or using the faderport track navigation buttons. This is not a huge hassle or issue, but i'd like to be able to use the arrows to change the track selection (and have the faderport shuffle through the setting as well. But the faderport xt does 99% of what I want, so if there isn't some workaround for that small 1% i'm still thrilled with what you have developed here.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:07 PM   #140
jaaypeso

Is there a way to have the pan knob scroll thru tracks AND have the output button flip the fader between volume and pan control (which is the default) using the .ini file

Whenever I enable the pan scroll in the ini I lose the ability to press the "output" button and flip to pan control using the fader.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:09 PM   #141
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaypeso View Post
Is there a way to have the pan knob scroll thru tracks AND have the output button flip the fader between volume and pan control (which is the default) using the .ini file

Whenever I enable the pan scroll in the ini I lose the ability to press the "output" button and flip to pan control using the fader.
Hi jaaypeso,

Its either or.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:52 PM   #142
jaaypeso

Oh ok, that's what I figured. Thanks for the reply.
Old 06-23-2013, 01:25 PM   #143
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaypeso View Post
Just wanted to report that I just installed the faderport xt following the tips i this forum and its working perfectly on my 64 bit laptop setup! VERY DOPE combo with reaper.

The only VERY SMALL issue I have is that when I select tracks using the arrow buttons on my qwerty keyboard(which I have configured in the action list to choose the next and previous tracks respectively) the faderport doesn't make the tracks active as I shuffle through using the arrow keys.
I'll check into this; I'm not sure if that action sends a update to the driver that I can capture, however, I don't know if that is the case and will see if easily fixable.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:19 AM   #144
assid

Just to say thanks, got this working and love the customizability.

(Also needed to rename/remove reaper_csurf.dll in the plugins directory after following instructions.)
assid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:31 AM   #145
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by assid View Post
Just to say thanks, got this working and love the customizability.
Glad it is working out well!

Quote:
(Also needed to rename/remove reaper_csurf.dll in the plugins directory after following instructions.)
Correct. That should be listed above but its good to have it here to so people will be aware.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:39 AM   #146
ramses

Just wanted to thank Karbomusic for persisting with the faderport support. I just bought a faderport of my own and is very excited to try it out in a few hours :-).
ramses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:01 AM   #147
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramses View Post
Just wanted to thank Karbomusic for persisting with the faderport support. I just bought a faderport of my own and is very excited to try it out in a few hours :-).
Hi ramses,

Thanks and be sure to remove reaper_csurf.dll when you use this xt version or reaper may load the original even though it says
xt. Lots of info covering most known issues are in this thread as an FYI

Last edited by karbomusic; 07-05-2013 at 08:42 AM.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:24 AM   #148
ramses

I followed the advice in this thread and got it to work as expected :-). I've been mixing five songs this week and it's been really nice to finally work with a physical fader again. I'll dive into the more advanced features down the road I'm sure. Thanks again.
ramses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:26 AM   #149
Brado231

Quote:
Your DLL is the reason I bought Faderport, actually.
Me too! Thanks karbomusic
Brado231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:18 AM   #150
EJ James

My FaderPort just arrived yesterday. I'm not even gonna mess with the default driver and go straight to this one.

Looks pretty awesome.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:29 AM   #151
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ James View Post
My FaderPort just arrived yesterday. I'm not even gonna mess with the default driver and go straight to this one.

Looks pretty awesome.
Couple things...

- AFAIK all know issues are in this thread.
- Be sure to remove the default csurf dll from the plugins directory or it will load even though it says XT in the control surfaces settings.
- Beware of the firmware update that is public, 1.3.5 as it'll bust fader operation. If you update firmware you want 1.3.8:

http://support.presonus.com/entries/...fader-solution

Enjoy!
Old 07-18-2013, 10:00 AM   #152
EJ James

Awesome! Thanks Karbo!
Old 07-19-2013, 06:52 AM   #153
EJ James

Installed/updated/configured last night.

Works flawlessly so far. Freakin AWESOME!

It's always cool when I can show my wife something new in the studio and she's in complete awe of how things all work together. She was impressed.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:55 AM   #154
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ James View Post
Installed/updated/configured last night.

Works flawlessly so far. Freakin AWESOME!

It's always cool when I can show my wife something new in the studio and she's in complete awe of how things all work together. She was impressed.
Nice! All the magic is in the INI file meaning any action that exists or custom action you can dream up can be assigned to the buttons in that INI. I'm sure everyone knows this but just a reminder because the defaults are just what I thought might be useful "out-of-the-box". Beyond that you can make it do most anything you want by adding the action ID to the button of choice.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:25 AM   #155
teeramusic

Any chance of seeing Plugin Parameter Automation?

There's the Automation lane: Set active fader (CM ID 986)

in the action list that does this, but doesn't support 14bit cc put out by the faderport.

teeramusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:14 AM   #156
Brado231

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeramusic View Post
Any chance of seeing Plugin Parameter Automation?

There's the Automation lane: Set active fader (CM ID 986)

in the action list that does this, but doesn't support 14bit cc put out by the faderport.

I was just coming into this thread to ask if this can be done as well

I'd love to be able to use the faderport to write automation for my plugins too.

Any chance of this karbomusic or is it a Reaper limitation?
Brado231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:30 PM   #157
donchilcott

Default Thank You

Got my Faderport XT working last night. I really appreciate the postings re srtting up Faderport, very cool...
donchilcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 05:41 PM   #158
luke.b.weld

New Reaper user here (switched from ProTools).

Apparently the ability to write automation with FaderPort is limited to Volume/Pan. That would be fine for me as long as I can write automation to "Pre-FX" envelopes.

Wondering whether FaderPort can control "Pre-FX" as well as "Post"?
luke.b.weld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 06:24 PM   #159
donchilcott

Default Faderport XT updates

Thank You for your work, I love using my Faderport Happy Holidays :-)
donchilcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:59 AM   #160
airon

Currently there seems to be no way to hook up any controller to the pre-fx volume or pan envelopes. You can't flip the fader the control anything but the volume actually.

An OSC controller might be able to do it, but the Faderport isn't a general midi controller so that cannot(yet) be hooked up either.

The problem is that the pre-fx envelopes have no LEARN capability, like the normal volume, pan and mute, but at least those have midi cc/osc actions.

Might be a good request for the next v5 cycle.

Right now you're left with controlling the fader on the envelope control panel with the mouse.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote